Best Class B Team Not To Win State.

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Class B Team Not To Win State.

Postby scruffy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:14 am

Shilohskyhawk and papakdog....Ahhhh...the old region 8 which consisted of teams from districts 29-32. In twenty nine you had New England Saint Marys, New England, Belfield and South Heart that ALWAYS were good. In 30, Glen Ullin led the way with Richardton/Taylor always able to compete, and who can forget Center, a disciplined team that always was tough and could control the tempo of a game. In 31 we always had Standing Rock and Elgin and in 32 Regent was always in the mix. The only thing I didn't like was that old, small and HOT Scott Gym. Only 1250 people could see a terrific regional tournament..
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby milton-meteor » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:28 pm

If this is about good teams that didnt win state, I would bring in 77' Epping team into play, at the time, they may have been looked at as a cinderella team but I will say the talent was there, I remember when Bob Allard was interviewed on the One Shining Moment Broadcast they talked about the rematch they had Ten years later and Bob had 20 rebounds (very athletic) and after seeing his son grow Tall and play big at Fargo South once again the talent is obvious. Not to mention Donald Allard and the rest of the Bunch.
That was a good game!!
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:33 pm

milton-meteor wrote:If this is about good teams that didnt win state, I would bring in 77' Epping team into play, at the time, they may have been looked at as a cinderella team but I will say the talent was there, I remember when Bob Allard was interviewed on the One Shining Moment Broadcast they talked about the rematch they had Ten years later and Bob had 20 rebounds (very athletic) and after seeing his son grow Tall and play big at Fargo South once again the talent is obvious. Not to mention Donald Allard and the rest of the Bunch.
That was a good game!!

whats the story with this "rematch 10 years later" would it really be a rematch if everyone that played in that game has been gone for 8 years probably, or did they schedule it and get together and replay the games when they were 27?? dont really understand that?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:03 pm

yea if I remember right, the rematch was Played up in Epping and was spearheaded by the Epping Guys the invitation was presented to Dave Nelson and the boys and they drove up and had a ball Game, I believe Hillsboro came out on top again but it was moreless a lets have fun thing .
milton-meteor

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:38 pm

The one team that I remember from the late 80's and early 90's was Beulah's team. They were loaded with stud athletes. The only reason why I believe they didn't win state that year was Mike Anderud blew out his ankle right before state and virtually played on one leg while the other was taped with several roles of tape, had a brace, and high top shoes. He was the key to the engine for that team and they weren't nearly the same with him hurt in state. This team consisted of a lot of the same players that could still to this day be argued as the best class b team in football history. I think they outscored their opponents something like 400 to 3 that year.
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:50 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:The one team that I remember from the late 80's and early 90's was Beulah's team. They were loaded with stud athletes. The only reason why I believe they didn't win state that year was Mike Anderud blew out his ankle right before state and virtually played on one leg while the other was taped with several roles of tape, had a brace, and high top shoes. He was the key to the engine for that team and they weren't nearly the same with him hurt in state. This team consisted of a lot of the same players that could still to this day be argued as the best class b team in football history. I think they outscored their opponents something like 400 to 3 that year.

so are you saying beulahs football or basketball team was the best to not win??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby brownswiss » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:09 pm

not quite sure on the year but the Epping Eagles had a good year in 76 or 77 but just ran out of time
brownswiss
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:28 pm

baseball wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:The one team that I remember from the late 80's and early 90's was Beulah's team. They were loaded with stud athletes. The only reason why I believe they didn't win state that year was Mike Anderud blew out his ankle right before state and virtually played on one leg while the other was taped with several roles of tape, had a brace, and high top shoes. He was the key to the engine for that team and they weren't nearly the same with him hurt in state. This team consisted of a lot of the same players that could still to this day be argued as the best class b team in football history. I think they outscored their opponents something like 400 to 3 that year.

so are you saying beulahs football or basketball team was the best to not win??

Basketball...their football team did win it. Believe they beat New England and dismantled a Linton team that had a lot of hype about being able to pull the upset, before beating Mayville in the championship.
bigpoppakdog

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:35 pm

milton-meteor wrote:yea if I remember right, the rematch was Played up in Epping and was spearheaded by the Epping Guys the invitation was presented to Dave Nelson and the boys and they drove up and had a ball Game, I believe Hillsboro came out on top again but it was moreless a lets have fun thing .

it was played in the epping gym as a fund raiser for their school, hillsboro was again victorious
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 pm

A great piece of ND class B history WOW!!
milton-meteor

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:17 am

I'm sure glad we don't see things like this in class B anymore. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the small town dickinson's versus the small down Minot's, or Fargo versus Bismarck. Of course I'm being sarcastic. I'm getting a little depressed reading all these stories about how Class B used to be. Wish it still was this way. :cry:
bigpoppakdog

Postby poweraidman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:53 am

well, i believe you could say that lamoure, and watford this year could have been state champs, I thought lamoure was one of the most talented teams in the state tourny
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 am

I think Epping only had 7 boys in their high school and they ALL had to be on the team. In addition I think one was hurt so they basicly played with six guys at the "B"...
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NorthDakota11 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:25 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned them yet... how about the "99 Trinity Titans... they were 27-0 going in to the state title game and lost on a last second 3 pointer to Leads... Led by ten going into the 4th quarter... and still had a chance to win at the end after the 3-pointer...
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 pm

we're talking about class b not class A. Take a look at the other posts....that's what class b is about...not about dickinson, minot etc....please refrain from posting anything concerning Dickinson, Minot, Williston, Fargo, and Bismarck on this post.
bigpoppakdog

Postby scruffy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:59 pm

scc wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:1987/88 Glen Ullin Rattlers. Lead by Doug Gerving, Corey Wilhelm, Jeff Meissner. Lost to Ben Jacobsons eye's closed bank shot.

1984 Glen Ullin Rattlers. Lead by Kevin Gerving. Lost to Belfied in Region finals. Both of these squads competed in the Class A Holiday tournaments. The 87/88 team took home the title that year against the class a schools.

Didn't the '84 team go to state?

Glen Ullin had several highly rated teams that struggled at state IF they got there. Disrict 30 wasn't the strongest one in the region but they still had a pretty good run.....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NorthDakota11 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:02 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:we're talking about class b not class A. Take a look at the other posts....that's what class b is about...not about dickinson, minot etc....please refrain from posting anything concerning Dickinson, Minot, Williston, Fargo, and Bismarck on this post.

Hettinger was Class A at one point too... So was Bowman.... but you don't get on people about those teams... Mott won a couple class A titles too I think... I'm a younger guy so I'm not entirely sure... help me out.. some of you more experienced guys!
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:08 pm

let's get this back on track
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:18 pm

NorthDakota11 wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:we're talking about class b not class A. Take a look at the other posts....that's what class b is about...not about dickinson, minot etc....please refrain from posting anything concerning Dickinson, Minot, Williston, Fargo, and Bismarck on this post.

Hettinger was Class A at one point too... So was Bowman.... but you don't get on people about those teams... Mott won a couple class A titles too I think... I'm a younger guy so I'm not entirely sure... help me out.. some of you more experienced guys!

the schwab has spoken. Only comment to the younger guy is these schools are now in class b because their town populations have declined 20%-50%. Dickinson, Minot, Bismarck, Williston,Fargo...have all increased in size...some by many thousands...I am not going to post anything else concerning this due to starting the same old arguments that have hashed over and over.
bigpoppakdog

Postby scruffy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Yoo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! School classification is based on SCHOOL enrollment and not by the size of the town or village!!!!!!!! :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: : :roll: :lol: :roll:
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:51 pm

scruffy wrote:Yoo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! School classification is based on SCHOOL enrollment and not by the size of the town or village!!!!!!!! :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: : :roll: :lol: :roll:

Yeah, that's the point or should I say the main issue. I could set up a private school and cap my enrollment at 25 boys 25 girls and win state in all the sports. I just would choose to accept the students I know that would be athletic studs and let the rest go enroll in a public school. I am going against what I said earlier about not responding anymore...same old arguments...what will follow will be private schools do not cap their enrollment or choose who they take...blah blah blah...then the response will be yes they do...I know of someone who was going to go to a private school....blah blah blah....then the response will be what about coops...blah blah blah.....there, I've saved everyone the time and effort.
bigpoppakdog

Postby scruffy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:23 pm

:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:53 pm

The more a person thinks about, it's impossible to come up with one "best team" that didn't win it. It seems like in every state tournament there are always two or three that are deserving and it comes down to who can put a string of three good games together. Even on a regional basis there have been many teams who finished second who could have had a great shot at winning it all. To be the last one standing means that team has been good, healthy, peaking and has had a dose of good luck along the way....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:07 pm

scruffy wrote: Even on a regional basis there have been many teams who finished second who could have had a great shot at winning it all.

A lot of great teams dont get out of their region. Injuries, bad games, buzzer-beaters, you name it and it could or probably has already happened.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:52 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:
scruffy wrote: Even on a regional basis there have been many teams who finished second who could have had a great shot at winning it all. quote]

A lot of great teams dont get out of their region. Injuries, bad games, buzzer-beaters, you name it and it could or probably has already happened.

i gave an example like that too when i mention the bowman teams with Tivis and Pauley. same can go for LaMoure when they had Jake Holen. im sure looking back on every region there is always a team that deserves to go but doesnt whether it be a bad shooting game or fouls.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys