18 minute halves

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

18 minute halves

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:14 pm

I would like to see 18 minute halves take effect even before a shot clock, although ultimately a 45 second shot clock with this would a nice change to the way the game is played as far as preparation, lets put a little more pressure on these coaches and kids and I think we would see more of them consider collage ball, and more collages watching our kids, it would naturally create endurance along with better ball management, offenses and defenses would change
--four time-outs per half
--two full and two 20 sec

My two cents
Last edited by milton-meteor on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milton-meteor

Re: 18 minute halfs

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:34 pm

milton-meteor wrote:I would like to see 18 minute halves take effect even before a shot clock, although ultimately a 45 second shot clock with this would a nice change to the way the game is played as far as preparation, lets put a little more pressure on these coaches and kids and I think we would see more of them consider collage ball, and more collages watching our kids, it would naturally create endurance along with better ball management, offenses and defenses would change
--four time-outs per half
--two full and two 20 sec

My two cents

agree with the half idea....no shot clock is needed
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:40 pm

i dont see how putting halves and a shot clock would make kids want to play college ball?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:03 pm

baseball wrote:i dont see how putting halves and a shot clock would make kids want to play college ball?

I thought about how I stated this so I will elaborate, I believe there are alot of kids that if they really looked hard at the Mayville States, Valley City, etc. etc. instead of going to the big U's as a status thing.
They could fill these rosters with local great talent and playing the game more so like they play at collage may help.
probably a different topic, just thought I would add it to my post at the time.

Hope this helps!!
milton-meteor

Postby chevyman11 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:10 pm

No keep things exactly as they are. Some things in this world are different, and different is usually better, and Class B Boys Basketball is one of those things.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:10 pm

cant that be done without changing to halves and a shot clock? will you be able to find one kid who said "wow, since changing the game to halves and a shot clock, i really want to go to DSU." if the kids want to play college ball they will want to whether or not they play with halves and shot clock. the interest level will remain the same
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:42 pm

baseball wrote:cant that be done without changing to halves and a shot clock? will you be able to find one kid who said "wow, since changing the game to halves and a shot clock, i really want to go to DSU." if the kids want to play college ball they will want to whether or not they play with halves and shot clock. the interest level will remain the same

The interest level of the scouts may not remain the same!!
North Dakota Class B is not vintage because of Four Quarters and no Shot Clock, its the people that live here.
milton-meteor

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:11 pm

milton-meteor wrote:
baseball wrote:cant that be done without changing to halves and a shot clock? will you be able to find one kid who said "wow, since changing the game to halves and a shot clock, i really want to go to DSU." if the kids want to play college ball they will want to whether or not they play with halves and shot clock. the interest level will remain the same

North Dakota Class B is not vintage because of Four Quarters and no Shot Clock, its the people that live here.

Or it can be said the style of play makes most (not all) Class B ball vintage. Basketball has become a faster games. If anything Class B has become a slower game than it use to be back in the day.

The State Tournament is good ball. Go and watch a typical Class B game though...not very good basketball.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:18 pm

milton-meteor wrote:

dont tell me scouts dont recruit a kid as hard because he plays quarters instead of halves. have you guys ever watched a high school game on ESPN or anything? where they have the best teams in the country play and sometimes have the best players on maybe a not so good team. one thing is always consistant....8 minute quarters and no shot clock. and scouts have more interest in them then they do any kid from ND.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:29 pm

You wont see Players on ESPN going to Mayville or Valley City, and the guys they do get in from the bigger cities and other States simply are not who we want to watch play, get the game up to speed with the rest of the country, it wont change the passion of the Fans in this state and kids will have more opportunities.
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:36 pm

there is no way a kid/scout will have more interest in a game if they play halves instead of quarters. if the kid can play the scouts will recruit him. if he has interest in mayville or minot, he will have interest in mayville or minot.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:02 pm

milton-meteor wrote:You wont see Players on ESPN going to Mayville or Valley City, and the guys they do get in from the bigger cities and other States simply are not who we want to watch play, get the game up to speed with the rest of the country, it wont change the passion of the Fans in this state and kids will have more opportunities.

"the guys they do get in from bigger cities and other states simply are not who we want to watch play".

This statement about sums up the Class B mentality doesn't it. Who cares about well played basketball as long as (insert name here) kid is playing.

Opportunites exist for quality players!
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:02 pm

Halves and a shot clock wouldn't hurt Class B basketball, but they don't need it. Eight time outs per game? Thats crazy! I think if you go to 18 minute halves you should get one more timeout than if you play 8 minute quarters.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:03 pm

Not to mention the extra Two minutes for the young guys, you see its playing time they need.
Also lets go to school Mon-Thurs give them friday off and play all the games on thurs, fri, sat. just like the state tourney
We know half the practices are useless unless your playing for the Dave Nelsons of the world, practice hard a couple days take Wed. off for the good Lord and hit hard for three days, you wont play every thurs, fri sat, but these will be game nights.
More conditioned athletes, getting more playing time, taking it more seriously, bingo collage bound!!
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 pm

milton-meteor wrote:Not to mention the extra Two minutes for the young guys, you see its playing time they need.
Also lets go to school Mon-Thurs give them friday off and play all the games on thurs, fri, sat. just like the state tourney
We know half the practices are useless unless your playing for the Dave Nelsons of the world, practice hard a couple days take Wed. off for the good Lord and hit hard for three days, you wont play every thurs, fri sat, but these will be game nights.
More conditioned athletes, getting more playing time, taking it more seriously, bingo collage bound!!

maybe you shouldve played halves then....

its starting to get ridiculous the changes your recommending. play games on only thrus fri and sat?? i can understand if you play all tournaments thrus fri sat but not regualr season games. maybe teams should only practice in there school and all games should be played at a neutral site...just like the state tourney.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:16 pm

maybe even have the coaches switch team and coach AGAINST their own team
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:00 pm

I would take you more seriously if your handle was Basketball instead of Baseball
milton-meteor

Postby cubsfan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 pm

milton-meteor wrote:I would take you more seriously if your handle was Basketball instead of Baseball

I hope that comment was meant sarcastically because baseball is one of the most knowledgeable posters on the board. He has been here a lot longer than a lot of people and has never been in trouble. I would take something said by baseball over most of the members on the board almost every time.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:21 pm

Of course you would, but he had no right to ridicule my first post, I belong to other forums and sometimes you have earn your spot so to speak, if you go back and read my "first" post I noted that it was my TWO cents, and than after another explanation on my part, Baseball ridiculed me again, just because you have over 3,000 post does not mean I will not stand my ground.
I have Played allot of ball, I have also put allot of thought into my ideas, so dont bash them.
milton-meteor

Postby bballfan7 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:33 pm

milton-meteor wrote:Of course you would, but he had no right to ridicule my first post, I belong to other forums and sometimes you have earn your spot so to speak, if you go back and read my "first" post I noted that it was my TWO cents, and than after another explanation on my part, Baseball ridiculed me again, just because you have over 3,000 post does not mean I will not stand my ground.
I have Played allot of ball, I have also put allot of thought into my ideas, so dont bash them.

So you are saying that he doesn't have his opinion or "two cents" like you do. If you don't want people to comment on your post then don't post. Obviously you wanted people to comment back or else you wouldn't have posted it. Not everyone is going to agree with you 100% of the time.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm not trying to bash your opinions, I just don't really understand it....only 7 states have a shot clock.....Not all D-1 college players come from those seven states...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:49 pm

The Schwab wrote:I'm not trying to bash your opinions, I just don't really understand it....only 7 states have a shot clock.....Not all D-1 college players come from those seven states...

thats what im trying to say too...coaches dont look at the system the kid plays in when they recruit him (ex shot clock). but instead they look at how the kid plays. im not bashing on your post for the idea, you posted your theory, thats all well and good. i was just asking how changing the system in which they play the game changes whether or not they want to play college ball?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:56 pm

The Schwab wrote:I'm not trying to bash your opinions, I just don't really understand it....only 7 states have a shot clock.....Not all D-1 college players come from those seven states...

Shot Clock was not my post, and I can bend on this idea, not totally sold, although lets leave out the fans perspective and ask the kids and coaches.

18 minute halves on a 20 game season is an extra 40 minutes, thats more than one game for the team that does not make it deep into the tourneys, not a big deal, but to a high school Ball player and a high school Basketball coach this is huge, because if the game is lop sided you could utilize your bench more and get more playing time for that underclassman, you see all a kid wants is to play infront of the fans and thier family.
40 minutes on four years is 160 minutes a total of 5 more games (of today) for the shcool that doesnt go deep into the season. this will also put more pressure on the leaders to lead and think, kind of like a 10k run insted of two 5k's.
milton-meteor

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:59 pm

milton-meteor wrote:

Shot Clock was not my post, and I can bend on this idea, not totally sold, although lets leave out the fans perspective and ask the kids and coaches.

18 minute halves on a 20 game season is an extra 40 minutes, thats more than one game for the team that does not make it deep into the tourneys, not a big deal, but to a high school Ball player and a high school Basketball coach this is huge, because if the game is lop sided you could utilize your bench more and get more playing time for that underclassman, you see all a kid wants is to play infront of the fans and thier family.
40 minutes on four years is 160 minutes a total of 5 more games (of today) for the shcool that doesnt go deep into the season. this will also put more pressure on the leaders to lead and think, kind of like a 10k run insted of two 5k's.

I am totally in favor of the two halves
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby chevyman11 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:10 pm

baseball wrote:

thats what im trying to say too...coaches dont look at the system the kid plays in when they recruit him (ex shot clock). but instead they look at how the kid plays. im not bashing on your post for the idea, you posted your theory, thats all well and good. i was just asking how changing the system in which they play the game changes whether or not they want to play college ball?

Prime example-Austin Dufault going to play D-1 ball in Colorado and he didnt play on a shot clock. He's going there because he's an amazing player.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys