18 minute halves

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 18 minute halfs

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:17 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
milton-meteor wrote:
baseball wrote:
milton-meteor wrote:once again Shot clock was not my post!!
although I will say this, he hasent played a minute for colorado yet, and when he does he will have to shoot twice insted of once, hope he adapts.

ok let me rephrase that for him....

Prime example - Austin Dufault. he is going to Colorado and he played quarters and not 2 18 minutes halves

and once again, he has not played one half yet, hope he adapts

But what you said earlier is that players will get recruited harder if they played halves instead of quarters, and he was just pointing out that he is playing at colorado and that he did play quarters in high school. Dufault wouldn't have been recruited harder if he was playing halves in high school his junior year he got recruited hard because of what he did in ECI. What do they play in ECI quarters or halves?

The actual ECI tournament last year was played in halves. I have played halves and quarters so here is what I would say the biggest differences are. Halves if you get on a roll you can stay on the court for a longer time. The quarter break can mess that up a lot. Might just be my personal experience but I noticed that. It makes the game seem longer but actually go faster. It also makes a comeback seem a lot easier. If a team is down 15 at the start of the fourth quarter they will sometimes pack it in, but with halves, there is no quarter break so you don't even realize the game is almost over. It is kind of hard to explain unless you have played in both.

My personal opinion is that I like 18 minute halves, mostly because you play longer. That is another thing. 4 8 minute quarters, a sixth or seventh man might come in with 2 or 3 minutes left and go out at the start of the next quarter, while with halves you can bring 3 or 4 guys off the bench and play them 10 or 12 minutes while still giving minutes to your starters.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bradyg » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 pm

I would have liked to see it when I played. That would have been 4 more minutes of playing time for me.
bradyg

Postby milton-meteor » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:48 pm

thanks for the personal experience story Balla45, I like this format for these reasons also, who knows may help the refs loose a little of their Beer belly's.

Were they 18 minute halves or 16?
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:44 pm

if i remember right ECI was 20 minute halves.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:57 pm

I agree with balla45. But I don't agree that halves will make some people want to play college basketball more. You either want to or ou don't want to play college basketball.
basketballer

Postby NDinPHX » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:06 pm

baseball wrote:
milton-meteor wrote:ask the kids, were not playing any more!!, but if Minn girls can do it (not to mention boys) North Dakota boys should be able to handle it, in my opinion it would help the game, the players would benefit and these kids may just decide to take up ball at collage as a result in the long run
Halves are coming, "not excepting change doesn't bring back the past, it prevents the future"
had to throw that in, and remember, I love ND class B ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you still havent actually answered my question on how switching to halves increases interest in college ball?? the worst excuse ever to adopt halves and a shot clock is "well minnesota does it". maybe we want to be like Florida, North Carolina, California, Indiana, where they play quarters and no shot clock.....

I am pretty sure that they play with a shot clock in California and still have quarters. I coach in Arizona and that was the word from some of the teams that played there. We still do 8 minute quarters without the shot clock, as I believe most states do.
NDinPHX

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:18 pm

NDinPHX wrote:
baseball wrote:
milton-meteor wrote:ask the kids, were not playing any more!!, but if Minn girls can do it (not to mention boys) North Dakota boys should be able to handle it, in my opinion it would help the game, the players would benefit and these kids may just decide to take up ball at collage as a result in the long run
Halves are coming, "not excepting change doesn't bring back the past, it prevents the future"
had to throw that in, and remember, I love ND class B ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you still havent actually answered my question on how switching to halves increases interest in college ball?? the worst excuse ever to adopt halves and a shot clock is "well minnesota does it". maybe we want to be like Florida, North Carolina, California, Indiana, where they play quarters and no shot clock.....

I am pretty sure that they play with a shot clock in California and still have quarters. I coach in Arizona and that was the word from some of the teams that played there. We still do 8 minute quarters without the shot clock, as I believe most states do.

yea i figured since only 7 states use a shot clock i would just throw a few out there thinkin they wouldnt haha. but the arguement you see most on here is that we should have a shot clock because everyone else does and like you said too....most states dont use a shot clock and use quarters.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:44 am

from the first 13 rules of Dr. James Naismith an early pioneer of the Game

12. The time shall be two fifteen-minute halves, with five minutes rest between.
Last edited by milton-meteor on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:00 am

the only time you should use someones ruling on the game should be if it was a quote from James Naismith.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:07 am

baseball wrote:the only time you should use someones ruling on the game should be if it was a quote from James Naismith.

i DID??
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:18 am

milton-meteor wrote:
baseball wrote:the only time you should use someones ruling on the game should be if it was a quote from James Naismith.

i DID??

james naismith's name was not in your initial post tho, it was some other guy you called a pioneer
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:39 am

baseball wrote:
milton-meteor wrote:

i DID??

james naismith's name was not in your initial post tho, it was some other guy you called a pioneer

But thats funny, I read your mind, Oooo Weary
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:42 am

good job??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby playdshoot3 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:35 pm

Personally I like the two halves...it just seems to make the game go quicker and if one team has momentum they can keep using it with only the halftime break. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both but I think the two halves is a good thing.
playdshoot3

Re: 18 minute halves

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:48 pm

and if your a student at collage, Semesters are better than Quarters, I know I did Quarters!
milton-meteor

Re: 18 minute halves

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:17 am

Professional, college, and high school games are similar except in length and in range of basic skills. Professional games are 48 minutes long, divided into quarters; college games, 40 minutes, played in halves; and high school games, 32 minutes, broken into quarters. If a game is tied at the end of regulation time, an overtime (3 to 5 minutes, depending on the level of competition) is played.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys