It's Official-2008 Champs-Grafton Spoilers

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: It's Official-2008 Champs-Grafton Spoilers

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Well I think it was this year. Throughout the season Region 2 had Grafton, North Border, Dakota Prairie, Park River, Hatton-Northwood and Thompson in the poll. NB and Grafton were in the top 5 for the majority of the season and DP and Thompson were both ranked 10th at one time. It may not be the best way to gauge region strength but Region 2 rarely disappoints their fans at state.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:12 pm

Been 5 times for region 4 in the consolation bracket since 95.

Warwick (96) 8th
Leeds (97) 5th....lost to MPCG in opening round. Closest game MPCG had all year
NRS (03) 5th or 6th....can't remember.
FW (07) 5th
FW (08) 5th

FW took 3rd the first year they made it to state. So even tho Region 4 has been in the consolation bracket 5 times, they've come out with 5th place most of the time.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:25 pm

scc wrote:
ndfan wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:There are many other regions that have the same track record. Region 4 has only been in the sunshine bracket 3 times since 95. I'm guessing region 7 has very few appearances there in the same time frame, too.

Have those 3 times been the last 3 years that Four Winds has been in it?

I think it's been more than 3 times for Region 4, but it doesn't really matter. A lot can happen at a state tournament, and it's not always the best way to gauge region strength.

That is why I started the topic about changing the pairings of the state. tournament, so the best teams will be in it at the end.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shooter » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:26 pm

After watching this years tourney, I am convinced that either Park River, North Border and possibly even Dakota Prairie would have done just as well as Grafton, and that isn't to take away from Grafton, it's to show the strength of region 2. I shouldn't say "just as well as Grafton", because they were the champs, but I feel the championship game was at least within reason. Grafton continued the trend and expectations that we hold for our region 2 teams. If you're gonna get there, ya might as well do something while you're there.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:31 pm

I think NB would have placed in the top 3 and probably had a good chance to win it all. Don't think Park River or Dakota Prairie would have done that good tho. Probably would have been playing in the sunshine bracket. Look how all of you smash FW for taking 5th the past two years.....don't forget that they stomped DP by 30 this year. Park River also lost big to NRS this year.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:32 pm

grafton also lost to WC by 19.....and look where they ended up
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I think NB would have placed in the top 3 and probably had a good chance to win it all. Don't think Park River or Dakota Prairie would have done that good tho. Probably would have been playing in the sunshine bracket. Look how all of you smash FW for taking 5th the past two years.....don't forget that they stomped DP by 30 this year. Park River also lost big to NRS this year.

Dakota Prairie and Park River were also playing at lot better around the time of Districts in Regionals then they were at that time. I'm convinced Park River would've beaten Four Winds had they met up in state and not in Four Winds house were it's no easy task to go in and win. Dakota Prairie also would've done much better the second time around.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:58 pm

FW, NRS, and MS were also playing much better later in the season, too. I'm not trying to say that region 4 is better than region 2. I'm just making the argument that you can't base which region is the toughest on how teams finish in the state tourney. Look at last year...after Parshall took the title everyone was saying region 8 was the toughest until WC took 4th this year and now it's quieted down. When Trinity was making its run everyone was saying region 7 was the best. Now they're quiet. You can't judge which region is tops until the top 4 teams in each region play the top 4 teams in other regions and see how it plays out, but the problem is that will never happen.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:13 pm

Exactly, that's the point I was making in that topic but very few saw what I meant and just kept telling me it is what it is and deal with it. That's like using the response "because I said so".
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby asiantangy99 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:05 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Been 5 times for region 4 in the consolation bracket since 95.

Warwick (96) 8th
Leeds (97) 5th....lost to MPCG in opening round. Closest game MPCG had all year
NRS (03) 5th or 6th....can't remember.
FW (07) 5th
FW (08) 5th

FW took 3rd the first year they made it to state. So even tho Region 4 has been in the consolation bracket 5 times, they've come out with 5th place most of the time.

NRS Took 6th in 03 and 5th in 04
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys