Complaining about officials....

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Complaining about officials....

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:35 pm

What is with all the complaining about refs lately?? It has gone on ever since the postseason started. Seems like every team that has lost has fans that blame the game on the refs. This is just absolutely ridiculous....especially during the state tournament. The refs at all postseason tournaments are voted upon by the coaches, so they are choosing the refs they want to officiate their games. All of these refs have years and years of experience at all levels....girls, boys, class A, class B, and even college. They are the best at what they do and are well respected from coaches. Yes, even the best miss some calls, but nothing even remotely close to changing the outcome of a game. It's not like these guys are in their first year of reffing or just picked from the stands to officiate a game. Get over the fact that your team lost the game and quit trying to find excuses by blaming it on the refs. How about giving some credit to the other team and coach????
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Complaining about officials....

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Great post. I totally agree.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 pm

The entire post should be deleted if someone just wants to complain about the officials. It's gone overboard. We don't have time to edit every post, and it's just not good sportsmanship to continually complain about such things.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoops247 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:28 am

I agree also. Almost every game discussed about a post-season game turns into a complaining session about how bad the officiating was. Same thing a a similar site in SD. It's getting very old!
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby asiantangy99 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:What is with all the complaining about refs lately?? It has gone on ever since the postseason started. Seems like every team that has lost has fans that blame the game on the refs. This is just absolutely ridiculous....especially during the state tournament. The refs at all postseason tournaments are voted upon by the coaches, so they are choosing the refs they want to officiate their games. All of these refs have years and years of experience at all levels....girls, boys, class A, class B, and even college. They are the best at what they do and are well respected from coaches. Yes, even the best miss some calls, but nothing even remotely close to changing the outcome of a game. It's not like these guys are in their first year of reffing or just picked from the stands to officiate a game. Get over the fact that your team lost the game and quit trying to find excuses by blaming it on the refs. How about giving some credit to the other team and coach????

Ok the reason thier is so much complaining lately is because these refs are ridiculous. They cant keep an even playing line, its either one game a ref is favoring a certain team then the next game they are favoring someone else. This is not about complaining, for instance look at Region 7 how many years in a row did Trinity go to state in the past 10 years? Now this is not totally blaming the refs but homecourt advantage is also a role in this, which is a big disadvantage if you ask me. Something needs to be done with that because that is very unfair to other teams. Tell me how you think the outcome of the game cannot be change by the refs? These refs can change the outcome of a game in a hurry. How bout the horrible play down low in the paint, where are the fouls here? Their is murder going on in the low blocks and nothing is ever getting called. These fouls can slowly add up at the free throw line. However there is a fine line where the fouls dont matter anymore and the game is out of the officials hands but most of the time this is not true.
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:01 pm

asiantangy99 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:What is with all the complaining about refs lately?? It has gone on ever since the postseason started. Seems like every team that has lost has fans that blame the game on the refs. This is just absolutely ridiculous....especially during the state tournament. The refs at all postseason tournaments are voted upon by the coaches, so they are choosing the refs they want to officiate their games. All of these refs have years and years of experience at all levels....girls, boys, class A, class B, and even college. They are the best at what they do and are well respected from coaches. Yes, even the best miss some calls, but nothing even remotely close to changing the outcome of a game. It's not like these guys are in their first year of reffing or just picked from the stands to officiate a game. Get over the fact that your team lost the game and quit trying to find excuses by blaming it on the refs. How about giving some credit to the other team and coach????

Ok the reason thier is so much complaining lately is because these refs are ridiculous. They cant keep an even playing line, its either one game a ref is favoring a certain team then the next game they are favoring someone else. This is not about complaining, for instance look at Region 7 how many years in a row did Trinity go to state in the past 10 years? Now this is not totally blaming the refs but homecourt advantage is also a role in this, which is a big disadvantage if you ask me. Something needs to be done with that because that is very unfair to other teams. Tell me how you think the outcome of the game cannot be change by the refs? These refs can change the outcome of a game in a hurry. How bout the horrible play down low in the paint, where are the fouls here? Their is murder going on in the low blocks and nothing is ever getting called. These fouls can slowly add up at the free throw line. However there is a fine line where the fouls dont matter anymore and the game is out of the officials hands but most of the time this is not true.

go get certified. end of problem.
rep

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:06 pm

rep wrote:
asiantangy99 wrote:

go get certified. end of problem.

I 2nd that rep
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby homer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:44 pm

has anyone complaining on here about the officials ever done it even at even the jr.high level? i doubt it! if you havent done it especially at the tourney level with all the pressure you have no rights to complain. and rep you are right get certified and try it.
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby homer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:48 pm

and ndlionsfan good start up post people in the stands should hear themselves and they would be very embarrassed
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby shooter » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:16 am

One thing that is a little misunderstood. For districts, the officials are SELECTED by the coaches, but for regionals, they are RECOMMENDED by the coaches, and then the state assigns them. Yes, the assignments are based on recommendations, but.....the state puts who they feel belongs, not necessarily in the order in which they are listed by the coaches. I know for a fact that there was an official doing a regional this past year that was WAY down the totem pole as far as coaches selection, yet ended up doing the regional. Obviously, if the coaches don't care much for an official, the state shouldn't be throwing him in there. Some officials are still doing games based on their past reps. The game has passed a lot of officials by and things have changed. Some of these older officials need to hang em up. It's been a great run, but everyone needs to retire at some point, and some of those fellas have more than served their tour of duty.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:38 pm

The only problem I've ever really had with refs is consistency. When I was playing I would judge how physical I'd be able to play by how the ref called the first couple minutes of the game. There are some games when it'd be an absolute dogfight in the paint and only the real obvious fouls are called. Then later in the game they start to call the little touch fouls. That really messes with a players head because you aren't sure how to play. I just wish before the game the ref would come and tell one of the captains or both the coaches "Hey I'm gonna let the big guys really play physical in the paint so tell them to be ready."
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:38 pm

shooter wrote:One thing that is a little misunderstood. For districts, the officials are SELECTED by the coaches, but for regionals, they are RECOMMENDED by the coaches, and then the state assigns them. Yes, the assignments are based on recommendations, but.....the state puts who they feel belongs, not necessarily in the order in which they are listed by the coaches. I know for a fact that there was an official doing a regional this past year that was WAY down the totem pole as far as coaches selection, yet ended up doing the regional. Obviously, if the coaches don't care much for an official, the state shouldn't be throwing him in there. Some officials are still doing games based on their past reps. The game has passed a lot of officials by and things have changed. Some of these older officials need to hang em up. It's been a great run, but everyone needs to retire at some point, and some of those fellas have more than served their tour of duty.

District officials are also only recommmended by the coaches and AD's, then the district chair contacts the top officials on the list and continues down the list until he gets a full crew. Some officials are already contracted with other districts, class A regions, colleges, or just plain out don't want to do that tournament. It's basically the same process for regions except for the state handles the contacting.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Some have gone past their tour of duty, but you do not see many young officials anymore. There are some officials that want out but because of the lack of refs are begged to do games because there is no one else.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Baller wrote:Some have gone past their tour of duty, but you do not see many young officials anymore. There are some officials that want out but because of the lack of refs are begged to do games because there is no one else.

And then you get younger guys who are willing to take a few workshops and do some elementary and junior high games but get totally chewed out by the crowds. That is usually the end of that scenario even if they make 21 dollars game. Saw it happen at a junior high girls game and the one guy said afterwards..."There is no way I am doing that again." :shock:
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:51 pm

9manfootballmom wrote:
Baller wrote:Some have gone past their tour of duty, but you do not see many young officials anymore. There are some officials that want out but because of the lack of refs are begged to do games because there is no one else.

And then you get younger guys who are willing to take a few workshops and do some elementary and junior high games but get totally chewed out by the crowds. That is usually the end of that scenario even if they make 21 dollars game. Saw it happen at a junior high girls game and the one guy said afterwards..."There is no way I am doing that again." :shock:

The fans that complain about officials have probably never played/coached or reffed a game in their lives.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:
9manfootballmom wrote:

The fans that complain about officials have probably never played/coached or reffed a game in their lives.

Schwabby...i know that, you know that...but we have so many adults in the crowds that thinkthey know the game so well...my scenario is a shame because we are losing officials left and right to age/burn out, etc and we have some fired up young men who actually want to do it but are turned off by the crowds. Not sure how to fix it...just a comment about what we are dealing with re: official shortages.
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HeisAlive » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:31 pm

I know someone reminds me of who I represent and what I look like when I get upset... sometimes we all get upset. If the parents would hold their tongues for the count of 10, or like we're taught as kids, count to 10 or say something nice about that person, I believe the game would clean up by itself :D Let work on keeping ND clean by one mouth at a time. I'll watch mine and you watch yours and we'll both enjoy the game more.
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:22 pm

9manfootballmom wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
9manfootballmom wrote:

Schwabby...i know that, you know that...but we have so many adults in the crowds that thinkthey know the game so well...my scenario is a shame because we are losing officials left and right to age/burn out, etc and we have some fired up young men who actually want to do it but are turned off by the crowds. Not sure how to fix it...just a comment about what we are dealing with re: official shortages.

First off, the age of an official should really have nothing to do with the quality of his/her calls. If anything the older official is going to have the benefit of years of experience resulting in better judgement. Each official should be rated on their ability not their age. Some are good and some are not, doesn't matter the age (This is assuming the older official still has the physical ability).

I have to ask...who/where are these fired up young men? I am not saying there aren't a few young up and coming officials but the numbers are low. It is the younger ones that go to camps, study the craft of officiating and work under some veterans that seem to make it. Many though are not willing to put in the time and effort to reach the varsity level.

Are the crowds part of the reason for fewer young officials sticking with it? Yes I am sure that is a part of it. So the solution really should begin with improved game management (aka AD and principals at games). Don't allow over-the-top fans to conduct themselves in such a manner.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby shooter » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:28 pm

The problem with that is, and this came up in a different post, that fans aren't NEAR as rowdy or vocal as they used to be. The problem is the young officials are just like our young players, not very thick skinned and nobody can say anything that may affect their psyche or self-esteem.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:32 pm

officials do the best job they can, they aren't trying to "screw" any team over. Fans are always looking for excuses as to why they lost.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:52 pm

shooter wrote:The problem with that is, and this came up in a different post, that fans aren't NEAR as rowdy or vocal as they used to be. The problem is the young officials are just like our young players, not very thick skinned and nobody can say anything that may affect their psyche or self-esteem.

You're correct but doesn't mean that it is still not a problem that needs to be worked on.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby Metron12610 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:25 pm

I agree with most of the posts listed, shortage of refs, crowds are a pain, etc... I also don't think refs intentionally call a game in anybodys favor, and yes fans are always looking for excuses. And yes, the refs do the best job they can. My point is this, is the best they can do good enough. NDHSAA says they train refs, camps, yearly meeting, etc... The training is no were near enough and for that matter either is the pay they receive. They are recommended to do a team camp, (no pay), attend a meeting, (no pay), and take a open book test (no pay and everybody cheats anyways). The job is not that enjoyable to do all the extras for nothing. If you want good and consistant officials, open the checkbook, teach some classes where they get compensated, and make each official have a grading system. ( and not just graded by dave). The level of officials would rise, the crappy refs would be doing jr. high games, and new and young guys would be a lot more interested. All this said, i am not a ref or even a fan of refs, just would like to see some better ones.

The Schwab wrote:officials do the best job they can, they aren't trying to "screw" any team over. Fans are always looking for excuses as to why they lost.
Metron12610
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old fan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:57 pm

I did not watch any of the state Class B tournament and do not even know the names of the officials, but I did see the box score of the Grafton Watford City game in the paper. I believe the box score showed that Grafton shot 29 free throws and Watford City shot 7. That certainly is a considerable difference and I would think that the Watford City fans would have a hard time not thinking their team was hosed by the refs.
old fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rez01 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:28 pm

The Schwab wrote:officials do the best job they can, they aren't trying to "screw" any team over. Fans are always looking for excuses as to why they lost.

So lets say one team has 32 fouls and the other 8 in 5 quarters of play...would you think that game was called "fair" ? I'm not saying refs are out to screw teams, but sometimes you just never know
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tellmeaboutit » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:37 pm

I think you have to consider the style of play in these games as well. A team that is more aggressive offensively will get more foul calls than the team that sits back and doesn't attack. WC was too willing to settle for the 3 ball when they should have penetrated the lane.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys