Watford City vs Grafton

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Watford City vs Grafton

Postby Iron Scope » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:45 am

Thoughts and predictions?
Iron Scope

Re: Watford City vs Grafton

Postby WPower » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 pm

i feel wc is gonna have a big game. WC by 12.
WPower
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:21 pm

A little interesting side note on this game. Coach Hanson for Grafton and Coach Cranston for WC were teammates in legion baseball for Hatton back in the late 90's. Just a did you know fun fact for everyone.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby shooter » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Region 2 All the way baby!! Just goes to show how good NB, PR, and the other teams up in the NE corner really are, because Grafton is THE dominant team in this tourney right now. TLM better come to play if they want a shot at beating Grafton!!
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan7 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:41 pm

shooter wrote:Region 2 All the way baby!! Just goes to show how good NB, PR, and the other teams up in the NE corner really are, because Grafton is THE dominant team in this tourney right now. TLM better come to play if they want a shot at beating Grafton!!

I'd say that TLM is the dominant team in the tourney and I predict an11 point win tomorrow for TLM just look at how they have shut down the big men in the tournament, held vetter in check for the first three quarters, and did a good job on shockman tonight i dont think Klinske will have a very good game omorrow.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:50 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
shooter wrote:Region 2 All the way baby!! Just goes to show how good NB, PR, and the other teams up in the NE corner really are, because Grafton is THE dominant team in this tourney right now. TLM better come to play if they want a shot at beating Grafton!!

I'd say that TLM is the dominant team in the tourney and I predict an11 point win tomorrow for TLM just look at how they have shut down the big men in the tournament, held vetter in check for the first three quarters, and did a good job on shockman tonight i dont think Klinske will have a very good game omorrow.

I totally agree with you. The only reason why I didn't think TLM could win the whole thing from the very beginning was because of lack of size. I didn't think they would have an answer for Vetter -and they did. I didn't think they would have an answer for Shockman - and they did. So I think they will win, and I think that they will continue to surprise me on how well they play defense against bigger guys.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Titliest_Prov1x » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:32 am

I'm not blaming this game on the refs because watford didn't play their game and I give grafton credit for that. They won the game. But i think the refs were the most inconsistent i've ever seen especially for a state tournament....watford had no fouls in the first quarter...grafton had 2 in the first 2 minutes than had none until about 2 minutes left in the 3rd....you can't convince me that watford had none in the 1st and grafton didn't have any for at least a 22 minutes stretch from the middle of the 1st to the later part of the 3rd quarter. Then at the end of the game they called a few more fouls, but it was terrible they'd call a touch foul then let a hack go. Weber for wc completely untucked a grafton guys jersey and they called a double dribble.....I was extremely disappointed in the reffing, these are supposed to be the best refs in the state and they sure didn't show it tonight...
Titliest_Prov1x

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:39 am

I guess i would rather the refs keep the whistle in their pockets as best they can and let the kids play. I felt they did that for a while tonight. It was not an overly physical game for the most part. The double dribble call was definately a bad one though. It looked to me like it was a fairly clean game for quite a while. I think there were only 3 fouls called the entire first half and I realy only noticed around 3-4 total calls where i felt there could have been a foul but it wasnt blatant.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Titliest_Prov1x » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 am

I'm not blaming this game on the refs because watford didn't play their game and I give grafton credit for that. They won the game. But i think the refs were the most inconsistent i've ever seen especially for a state tournament....watford had no fouls in the first quarter...grafton had 2 in the first 2 minutes than had none until about 2 minutes left in the 3rd....you can't convince me that watford had none in the 1st and grafton didn't have any for at least a 22 minutes stretch from the middle of the 1st to the later part of the 3rd quarter. Then at the end of the game they called a few more fouls, but it was terrible they'd call a touch foul then let a hack go. Weber for wc completely untucked a grafton guys jersey and they called a double dribble.....I was extremely disappointed in the reffing, these are supposed to be the best refs in the state and they sure didn't show it tonight...anyways good luck to both the teams tomorrow night they played the best they deserve it...
Titliest_Prov1x

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:57 am

BB11 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

I totally agree with you. The only reason why I didn't think TLM could win the whole thing from the very beginning was because of lack of size. I didn't think they would have an answer for Vetter -and they did. I didn't think they would have an answer for Shockman - and they did. So I think they will win, and I think that they will continue to surprise me on how well they play defense against bigger guys.

Vetter sat the bench most of the first half with foul trouble and DOMINATED the second half with 17. Dont think that is really stoping a big man when he is not even on the floor. Shockman is really soft. It was easy to play him tonight because he really did not use his height to any advantage in the semi. He rarely boxed out and was always out of position in the post defensively to alter any shots on the inside. Shockman was not impressive in the first game either. He played like a 6'1 guy rather then 6'6. Klinski is at a different level then those two. He is strong, physical, and athletic. WC tried double teaming him in the blocks and he still was able to create opportunities. He altered shots and controled the boards. He has by far been the most dominant and impressive big man in this tournament. It will be interesting to see but I dont think they have an answer.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:26 am

In TheKnow, you are right I think, Shockman was not as impressive compared to what I'd been hearing.
Kliniske is a man among boys out there. I was also impressed with Shipman, you can tell he is a great player, although he's probably had better games, he knows how to get close to the basket.
If I'm wrong, TLM fans can beat me up on here, but I don't think they'll shut down AK. When I say shut down, that means less than 15 pts and less than 12 boards, on less than 40% shooting. that's still a pretty good game.
TLM was shooting unbelievable last night (in the 2nd half), if they come with another performance like that, Grafton could be in big trouble, no matter what AK does inside.

InTheKnow wrote:
BB11 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

Vetter sat the bench most of the first half with foul trouble and DOMINATED the second half with 17. Dont think that is really stoping a big man when he is not even on the floor. Shockman is really soft. It was easy to play him tonight because he really did not use his height to any advantage in the semi. He rarely boxed out and was always out of position in the post defensively to alter any shots on the inside. Shockman was not impressive in the first game either. He played like a 6'1 guy rather then 6'6. Klinski is at a different level then those two. He is strong, physical, and athletic. WC tried double teaming him in the blocks and he still was able to create opportunities. He altered shots and controled the boards. He has by far been the most dominant and impressive big man in this tournament. It will be interesting to see but I dont think they have an answer.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:07 am

Titliest_Prov1x wrote:I'm not blaming this game on the refs because watford didn't play their game and I give grafton credit for that. They won the game. But i think the refs were the most inconsistent i've ever seen especially for a state tournament....watford had no fouls in the first quarter...grafton had 2 in the first 2 minutes than had none until about 2 minutes left in the 3rd....you can't convince me that watford had none in the 1st and grafton didn't have any for at least a 22 minutes stretch from the middle of the 1st to the later part of the 3rd quarter. Then at the end of the game they called a few more fouls, but it was terrible they'd call a touch foul then let a hack go. Weber for wc completely untucked a grafton guys jersey and they called a double dribble.....I was extremely disappointed in the reffing, these are supposed to be the best refs in the state and they sure didn't show it tonight...anyways good luck to both the teams tomorrow night they played the best they deserve it...

COME ON..Placing some blame on officials??? Obviously some calls were missed like any other game...Usually the reason a team loses is because of a few basics. For example..unforced turnovers, missed free throws, inconsisitent shooting and mental errors. This can be said for almost every game played....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Titliest_Prov1x » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:58 am

scruffy wrote:
Titliest_Prov1x wrote:I'm not blaming this game on the refs because watford didn't play their game and I give grafton credit for that. They won the game. But i think the refs were the most inconsistent i've ever seen especially for a state tournament....watford had no fouls in the first quarter...grafton had 2 in the first 2 minutes than had none until about 2 minutes left in the 3rd....you can't convince me that watford had none in the 1st and grafton didn't have any for at least a 22 minutes stretch from the middle of the 1st to the later part of the 3rd quarter. Then at the end of the game they called a few more fouls, but it was terrible they'd call a touch foul then let a hack go. Weber for wc completely untucked a grafton guys jersey and they called a double dribble.....I was extremely disappointed in the reffing, these are supposed to be the best refs in the state and they sure didn't show it tonight...anyways good luck to both the teams tomorrow night they played the best they deserve it...

COME ON..Placing some blame on officials??? Obviously some calls were missed like any other game...Usually the reason a team loses is because of a few basics. For example..unforced turnovers, missed free throws, inconsisitent shooting and mental errors. This can be said for almost every game played....

I said I'm not blaming the refs....GRAFTON OUTPLAYED WC NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, THEY DESERVED TO WIN! CONGRATS TO THEM AND GOOD LUCK IN THE TITLE GAME! I just thought that the refs were very INCONSISTENT BOTH WAYS you never knew what they were gonna call...
Titliest_Prov1x

Postby eyeinthesky » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:35 pm

Weber for wc completely untucked a grafton guys jersey and they called a double dribble.....I was extremely disappointed in the reffing, these are supposed to be the best refs in the state and they sure didn't show it tonight...[/quote]

When I first saw the illegal dribble call i questioned it also. After seeing the replay on tv the kid did pick up the ball with his right hand, ending his dribble, and then move it to his left and began another dribble....all of this before the grab occured. The placement of the TV camera did not give a great look at it but, when watched closely, he did commit an illegal dribble.

It was the center official who had a great look at this when it happened and made a very good call. In two-person officiating this likely would have been a foul call as the trail official would not have had such a good look at it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "best" refs in the State are doing the "A" and college stuff.

From what I have seen of the tournament it has been well officiated.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:46 pm

scruffy wrote:

I hear ya! I don't like inconsistency either........
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:26 pm

eyeinthesky wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "best" refs in the State are doing the "A" and college stuff.

I don't know where you get your information, but a lot of these officials at the state B this year have done college games (JUCO, NAIA, and NCC), class A games, regions, and state tournaments, and have also done girls games at all levels. The "best" refs don't get assigned to the class A tourney. Coaches vote and decide who they would like to be considered for all the district, region, and state tournaments.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby eyeinthesky » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:40 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
eyeinthesky wrote:

I don't know where you get your information, but a lot of these officials at the state B this year have done college games (JUCO, NAIA, and NCC), class A games, regions, and state tournaments, and have also done girls games at all levels. The "best" refs don't get assigned to the class A tourney. Coaches vote and decide who they would like to be considered for all the district, region, and state tournaments.

I don't disagree with you. This years tournament does seem to have better officials with a few of them having experience doing higher level basketball. The fact though remains that the B does not regularly get the "best" officials in the State. Most of the "best" officials are given the choice of what they want to do and most choose class A regions and state tournaments. Look at officials in the Fargo area. The "best" ones do very few or no class B games at all.

Again, I think this years State B has been very well officiated......
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Enough about the officials please, this is basketball. The losing team always blames the officials, please refer to every topic about every game ever played.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys