Most impressive players through day ONE

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Most impressive players through day ONE

Postby theDIRTYdub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:34 pm

So far i was impressed most by cameron malzer. But was surprised by Kevin Sanford and his 18 point effort. whats everyone elses opinion?
There's no "I" in team...But there is in "win"...
theDIRTYdub
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Most impressive players through day ONE

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:36 pm

Agreed.
Malzer
Shockman
Kliniske
Sanford
Shipman
Holen - I know he had a few TO's but he also had some sweet passes and hit some big shots - I was very impressed with how he ran the game.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby biggest ticket » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 pm

Malzer is the best player in the tournament. Shockman is right behind him with AK following suit. If Malzer plays his best game tomorrow night it will be hard to stop TLM. I expect Evan Nelson to show the state a little more of his ability tomorrow. Shipman has to show more tomorrow night as well.
biggest ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballernation » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 pm

even though they lost i feel Austin Vetter is the best player in the tourney. just didnt get established in the first half, its a shame that 2 of the top 3 teams had to play each other right away. the top 3 imo are ryan, watford, and trutle lake, i feel the better team lost today in ryan though,
ballernation
NDPreps Starter

Postby theDIRTYdub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:19 pm

biggest ticket wrote:Malzer is the best player in the tournament. Shockman is right behind him with AK following suit. If Malzer plays his best game tomorrow night it will be hard to stop TLM. I expect Evan Nelson to show the state a little more of his ability tomorrow. Shipman has to show more tomorrow night as well.

Yes, Shipman definatly has to play a much better game tomorrow if watford city wants to go to the big show. it is imperative that his role players do the same tomorrow as they did tonight though. I do believe that he is a much better player then he actually showed tonight. But agreed, Malzer IS the best player in the tournament.
There's no "I" in team...But there is in "win"...
theDIRTYdub
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:24 pm

ballernation wrote:even though they lost i feel Austin Vetter is the best player in the tourney. just didnt get established in the first half, its a shame that 2 of the top 3 teams had to play each other right away. the top 3 imo are ryan, watford, and trutle lake, i feel the better team lost today in ryan though,

Ryan may have a better overall team but not one of their guys could step up and even contain Malzer. I mean I know Malzer is an extremely talented player but Ryan's defense wasn't there if they wanted to win today. Vetter did play an amazing fourth quarter and it is disappointing that I won't be able to see his next two games. Good luck to TLM tomorrow night, should be a good one with LaMoure.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ballernation » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:30 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
ballernation wrote:even though they lost i feel Austin Vetter is the best player in the tourney. just didnt get established in the first half, its a shame that 2 of the top 3 teams had to play each other right away. the top 3 imo are ryan, watford, and trutle lake, i feel the better team lost today in ryan though,

Ryan may have a better overall team but not one of their guys could step up and even contain Malzer. I mean I know Malzer is an extremely talented player but Ryan's defense wasn't there if they wanted to win today. Vetter did play an amazing fourth quarter and it is disappointing that I won't be able to see his next two games. Good luck to TLM tomorrow night, should be a good one with LaMoure.

vetter is a monster if he would have gotten the ball more in the first half it would have been a differnet outcome.
ballernation
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigtuna21 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:11 am

ballernation wrote:

vetter is a monster if he would have gotten the ball more in the first half it would have been a differnet outcome.

yea but T-L-M pretty much shut him down in the first half and Malzer was by far the best player in the tourney the first day
bigtuna21

Postby bballfan_05 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:16 am

bigtuna21 wrote:
ballernation wrote:

yea but T-L-M pretty much shut him down in the first half and Malzer was by far the best player in the tourney the first day

Agreed, first time I've seen the kid play and wow, stands out from the rest. I really expected more out of Shipman than that.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:08 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Ryan may have a better overall team but not one of their guys could step up and even contain Malzer. I mean I know Malzer is an extremely talented player but Ryan's defense wasn't there if they wanted to win today. Vetter did play an amazing fourth quarter and it is disappointing that I won't be able to see his next two games. Good luck to TLM tomorrow night, should be a good one with LaMoure.

Agreed. I dont know what Ryan was doing, it looked like they were trying to deny the ball to Malzer but they NEVER got into the passing lane. They were half fronting the wing and just let him get the ball too easily and he just plain and simple beat them with the drive. The kid has a scoring capability that nobody else in the tourney has that I saw. Only way to beat TLM is to keep the ball out of his hands and let everybody else try to beat you. I liked the way Vetter went to work in the 4th, he showed how much he wants to win. Hes a beast, thats for sure.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:22 am

I think without question Cameron Malzer was the best player on day one of the state tournament.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Nick_Papagorgio » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:24 am

I was not impressed with Shipman. I didnt even think he was the best player on their team. I cant believe he is a Mr. Basketball finalist. Dont get me wrong he is a decent player, but i have seen quite a few other players this year that are better. He gets the putback buckets and so called "garbage" points to make his stats look better. My opinion, he may be an average player in the DAC conference and thats it. TL-M impressed me and thats who i would like to see win the whole thing!!!!
Nick_Papagorgio

Postby oldminerfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:39 am

No doubt TL/M's Malzer is one of the best. Was kind of surprised that late in the game he had some easy turnovers. #12 taking a 3point shot with 1:19 left with a 6 point lead didn't impress me much either.
oldminerfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:41 am

Holen from Lamoure impressed me the most. Yeah, he only had 11 points and had some TO's, but I thought he really controlled the game both offensively and defensively. Malzer definately has the most talent.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby steel33 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:04 am

Here are the top five

C. Malzer(simply unstopable) No one in this state can stop him man on man
A.Vetter- Better than advertised. Wow!!
Backes- What a smooth Player. He really impressed me!!
Klinske- Made Carlbloom look like a jv player.
Shipman(when his team got him the ball on the blocks..he showed nice moves and touch. But for some reason they didn't want him to touch it too often??

The most over-rated.

Carlbloom- wow what a disappointment I heard so much about this kid but he showed nothing.
Shockman- expecting a very good player..saw a player that has range of about 8 ft. Grand singer will dominate him tonight.
Evan Nelson- Looked tight/nervous/scared yesterday. Not a kid that scored 41pts in a game.
steel33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Iron Scope » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:16 am

Shockman over rated? He can hit the 3 ball easily, but to help his team the most he plays inside. At college (which will probably be a d-1 college) he will be a 3 position. But in high school class b in north dakota you probably shouldn't bring a 6'7 dude around the perimeter too much. And with Four Winds pushing Caleb Shockman like they were and for him to still score 20 says a lot. Watch out for him tonight.
Cameron Malzer was very impressive, I just want to wait until after tonight to see if he always plays that good. Carlblom will have a big game, he knows he has something to prove and from seeing him play many times before thast was his WORST game ever. (Lisbon fans correct me if i am wrong) Shipman wasnt that good in summer so i was wondering about his stats as well. Klininske really impressed me too.
Iron Scope

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:20 am

Surprised no one is giving any love to Chuck LJ and Zach A. Zach took it right at Shockman and Chuck is just a freshman. To bad none of the other FW players showed up. I was also real impressed with Shockman. He played almost the entire game and played most of the second half with 4 fouls.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Iron Scope » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:28 am

Sorry I forgot about Lovejoy and Alberts. Lovejoy impressed me the most on their team and he is a FRESHMAN. I have to give props to him for keeping his team in the game.
Iron Scope

Postby steel33 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:31 am

Nothing against Shockman..but Div 1?? No way!! and a small forward??/ That kid is way too slow to play small forward.

And if and I say if he can shoot the 3 ball.. I say a kid shooting yesterday that his range was about 8-12 ft. When he shot outside of that he barely touched the rim.

Just an FYI Malzer does do it everynight. He is shooting 60% from the field for a guard.

I would not be surprised at all if he went off for 30-35 tonight. Ryan is known for playing some of the best d in that state and he made it look easy.
steel33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Iron Scope » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 am

Yes if my sources are correct DIVISION 1.
Iron Scope

Postby magic715 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:39 am

steel33 wrote:Nothing against Shockman..but Div 1?? No way!! and a small forward??/ That kid is way too slow to play small forward.

And if and I say if he can shoot the 3 ball.. I say a kid shooting yesterday that his range was about 8-12 ft. When he shot outside of that he barely touched the rim.

Just an FYI Malzer does do it everynight. He is shooting 60% from the field for a guard.

I would not be surprised at all if he went off for 30-35 tonight. Ryan is known for playing some of the best d in that state and he made it look easy.

Not saying he would have stopped him, but usually Backes guards the other teams best player, but thursday was the first day he felt good after having the flu for 3 or 4 days, i was impressed with him and Vetter's second half, Malzer if a very good and smooth player. Nelson was to stationary, he made it easy for Backes to guard him. A good defensive player will stop nelson, but you can only hope to slow down Malzer.
magic715

Postby Iron Scope » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:43 am

If you are 6'7 in North Dakota Class B, I think it would be best to hit shots around 8 feet since you can. Thing is he obviously cares about the team more than impressing college coaches. Why would you sit around the 3 point line when you can be getting easy offensive/defensive boards and easily shoot over other post?
Iron Scope

Postby gmfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:15 am

Agree with all regarding Cameron, from TLM, as one of the outstanding players. Keep in mind though all have to keep up their consistency and play their game with thier team. There is no I in team, an outstanding player will bring out the best in their team mates. To all good luck!!!!
gmfan

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:22 am

Nick_Papagorgio wrote:I was not impressed with Shipman. I didnt even think he was the best player on their team. I cant believe he is a Mr. Basketball finalist. Dont get me wrong he is a decent player, but i have seen quite a few other players this year that are better. He gets the putback buckets and so called "garbage" points to make his stats look better. My opinion, he may be an average player in the DAC conference and thats it. TL-M impressed me and thats who i would like to see win the whole thing!!!!

Have you seen him play in more then just that one game last night? Kinda tough to judge a player based on one game. Shipman is legit.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MGUNVILLE » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:28 am

give tlm some credit they played a heck of a game. guess the bus ride was to much for ryan to overcome didn't have home court advantage. talk about excuses the flu come on.
MGUNVILLE

Next

Return to Boys