"Big" Guys

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

"Big" Guys

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:47 pm

I was watching the classic moments between games and saw the Napolean 4th place game when Brian Hoff got a standing ovation. The moment still chokes me up. But it got me thinking that you do not see many "Big" Guys on the floor anymore. All the big guys are cut and muscular, not the typical lineman build that we used to see down low. Why is that?? Are the big kids not encouraged to play? Are they ridiculed and told not to come out? What has changed?

**Note: Please don't make this a forum to just bash big kids.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: "Big" Guys

Postby letsgosox » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:52 pm

in the school that i graduated from. many of the big kids were discouraged not to play because they werent a "prototype" basketball player. we had a few allstate lineman in school that i think would have had a huge impact on the game. if one of the "bigger guys" would decide to go out, there would be very few that could stop them. a few years ago Keith Buckman from belfield and Bittner from glen ullin, are a couple stocky guys that caused matchup problems and ate up rebounds. those two are the last of those kind of kids that i have seen.
letsgosox

Postby champs0607 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:24 pm

i think the reason most of the "big guys" don't go out for basketball these days is becuz they feel that they need to focus on the sport that they're built for: football. i suppose if they are over 6 foot they'd play a roll on the team but maybe they just already have the mind set that "big guys" don't play basketball. who knows?
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND_Coach » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 pm

From 2003. Justin Muschae (sp) from Wells County. He was built like a lineman and was an excellent post player.

Jay Bachman from Richland has a lineman build

I think the game is evolving to a point where the post is becoming antiquated. Now its more about run and gun and the big lineman types would slow down a fastbreak team. Look around and you will not see as many back to the basket post players as there once was. Dribble drive and kickout is the hot new trend
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigtuna21 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:13 am

champs0607 wrote:i think the reason most of the "big guys" don't go out for basketball these days is becuz they feel that they need to focus on the sport that they're built for: football. i suppose if they are over 6 foot they'd play a roll on the team but maybe they just already have the mind set that "big guys" don't play basketball. who knows?

but wouldnt going out for another sport help u with footbal??
bigtuna21

Postby champs0607 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:45 am

bigtuna21 wrote:
champs0607 wrote:i think the reason most of the "big guys" don't go out for basketball these days is becuz they feel that they need to focus on the sport that they're built for: football. i suppose if they are over 6 foot they'd play a roll on the team but maybe they just already have the mind set that "big guys" don't play basketball. who knows?

you'd think so but from my observation it seems like big guys think it wouldn't
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:15 am

champs0607 wrote:
bigtuna21 wrote:

you'd think so but from my observation it seems like big guys think it wouldn't

It would and quite often that sport is wrestling.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NETTER » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:17 pm

If any one can keep me updated on the scores. I would appreciate it
NETTER

Postby HeisAlive » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:33 pm

I believe the big guy today has to be more then a "BIG" guys. They have to be an athelete also, not just meat under the hoop. He has to have talent to keep up with the times and hit the weights and training to keep up with the team. So we will keep seeing a more define player to come @ post. I think also, the big guys knows (6' 5" plus), if they want to go to college, they are going to have to get in shape and move their game outside. So they will have to have more speed for this which means more muscle to more faster.
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys