Fargodome as a basketball venue

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Fargodome as a basketball venue

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:02 am

Interesting topic in today's paper about the Fargodome. What are everyone's thoughts about going to Fargo for the B?

Fargodome worthy of Class B rotation
Mike McFeely,
Published Thursday, March 13, 2008

Good news, Fargo. We’re making progress.

The last three times the North Dakota Class B boys basketball tournament was played at the Fargodome, in 1997, 2000 and 2004, our friends from the more westerly areas of the state had three main problems with the setup:

1. The tournament was being played in Fargo.

2. The tournament was being played in Fargo.

3. And, lastly, the tournament was being played in Fargo.

Much of this lack of enthusiasm went back to the days of Imperial Cass. Old dislikes die hard, apparently.

This year’s Class B begins today at the dome and a couple of people deeply involved in the tournament say the small-town basketball fans who live out west – defined as anywhere west of Jamestown – don’t so much have a problem with Fargo.

Now the problem is the Fargodome.

“Now what we’re hearing is that the Fargodome isn’t viewed as a good venue for the tournament,” North Dakota High School Activities Association executive director Sherm Sylling said. “It doesn’t have the closeness that they prefer. They compare it to the Bismarck Civic Center, which is about perfect, and the dome isn’t the same.”

To steal an idea from Abe Lincoln, this just goes to show that you can please some of the people all of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the time, but if you’re Fargo you’re going to have a tough time pleasing Class B fans no matter what you do.

“There are always those who are never going to be satisfied,” Sylling said. “You move on.”

But as we said, we’ve made progress. And that’s good, because last time the Class B was in Fargo, tournament organizers were certain the state’s marquee prep event wasn’t going to come back because of western opposition. Fargo had already been awarded the 2008 tourney, but after that they envisioned a Bismarck-Minot rotation.

Now the tune is different.

“There is nothing on the books that would prevent it from coming back to Fargo,” Sylling said.

Ed Lockwood, chairman of Fargo’s Metro Area Tournament Committee, is confident the Class B will return to town in 2012. The tournament is already set for Minot the next two years and Bismarck in 2011.

To this we say, “Hallelujah!” For the state’s largest city to be denied a premier event because it is located a couple of hundred miles too far east, or because old parochialisms die hard or because Fargo’s arena is only 75 percent as good as Bismarck’s arena, well, that is pure folly. Fargo should get the Class B, at least once in awhile.

It appears that is what will happen, at least until North Dakota high school basketball morphs into something different than it is today (Lockwood seems certain three classes or re-districting or something is going to happen that will change the landscape within a few years).

Lockwood said he expects the Class B will become a semi-permanent fixture in Bismarck – perhaps holding the tournament three of every four years – with Fargo and Minot getting the leftovers. Do the math and you can figure the Class B will come here once every eight years.

With Fargo becoming the near-permanent site of the state wrestling tournament, that’s good enough. And it’s a darn sight better than what the picture looked like in 2004, when Metro Area Tournament Committee members believed they were hosting their final Class B.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Fargodome as a basketball venue

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:57 am

They should be hosting their last B tournament. I came from the east and hated the tournament being in Fargo. Location has little to do with my complaint. The dome is a horrible place to watch the B. The atmosphere of the city is that of almost ignorance that the B is in town. It's not even the headline in their papers. I don't know why the so called "experts" at the NDHSAA think it is a good idea to have the B in Fargo - they are the ones that see the money - they don't make as much in Fargo - not that many people go - or want to go there - It is a HORRIBLE VENUE FOR THE STATE B - both the Dome, the City, and the Atmosphere. Hopefully - if enough of the REAL CLASS B fans stand up against this - this will be the last B in Fargo.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Johhnyping » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:19 am

BB11 wrote:They should be hosting their last B tournament. I came from the east and hated the tournament being in Fargo. Location has little to do with my complaint. The dome is a horrible place to watch the B. The atmosphere of the city is that of almost ignorance that the B is in town. It's not even the headline in their papers. I don't know why the so called "experts" at the NDHSAA think it is a good idea to have the B in Fargo - they are the ones that see the money - they don't make as much in Fargo - not that many people go - or want to go there - It is a HORRIBLE VENUE FOR THE STATE B - both the Dome, the City, and the Atmosphere. Hopefully - if enough of the REAL CLASS B fans stand up against this - this will be the last B in Fargo.

First of all the Fargodome is the only host that does make money!

Secondly--"headlines in the newspaper" What difference does that make??? does it improve yourstay??

It is not the best place to play, or to watch a game. Hopefully the new addition will help

Fargo has more quality Hotels, Dining , Shopping, Entertainment than any of the other host cities
Johhnyping
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:22 am

I agree that the dome is not a great place to watch basketball. I'd rather watch it on TV than in the dome. However, what Fargo does have is great shopping, lots of eating places and plenty of hotels. I don't think people have to worry about finding a hotel in Fargo for the B, which isn't the case in Minot, and to a lesser extent, Bismarck.

One thing that is irritating about Fargo though is that lots of people don't know, or care, that the state B is in town. In Bismarck and Minot, the B "takes over" and everyone knows its going on. There is excitement about the tournament wherever you go. When West Acres and Scheel's are packed tomorrow with fans, there will be plenty of Fargo people confused about what is going on because if it isn't Bison athletics, it's just not that important.

So, in my opinion, even though I live 20 miles from Fargo, I'd rather drive to Bismarck for the B.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Johhnyping » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:25 am

ClassBEast wrote:I agree that the dome is not a great place to watch basketball. I'd rather watch it on TV than in the dome. However, what Fargo does have is great shopping, lots of eating places and plenty of hotels. I don't think people have to worry about finding a hotel in Fargo for the B, which isn't the case in Minot, and to a lesser extent, Bismarck.

One thing that is irritating about Fargo though is that lots of people don't know, or care, that the state B is in town. In Bismarck and Minot, the B "takes over" and everyone knows its going on. There is excitement about the tournament wherever you go. When West Acres and Scheel's are packed tomorrow with fans, there will be plenty of Fargo people confused about what is going on because if it isn't Bison athletics, it's just not that important.

So, in my opinion, even though I live 20 miles from Fargo, I'd rather drive to Bismarck for the B.

But not Minot..................
Johhnyping
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:33 am

Johhnyping wrote:
ClassBEast wrote:I agree that the dome is not a great place to watch basketball. I'd rather watch it on TV than in the dome. However, what Fargo does have is great shopping, lots of eating places and plenty of hotels. I don't think people have to worry about finding a hotel in Fargo for the B, which isn't the case in Minot, and to a lesser extent, Bismarck.

But not Minot..................

Well, Minot too I guess. I've done it before. It's just further and the hotel room situation is always a little shaky. :wink: I don't have anything against Minot.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scruffy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:08 am

It's an awful atmosphere in that building and the climate in the valley is the worst. Due to the cold and snow, the valley would be a terrible place to live, but I don't mind visiting, and can put up with the weather for three days. Fargo does offer more lodging, eateries and shopping then Bismarck or Minot so in that catagory Fargo has a huge advantage..An advantage for Bismarck or Minot is the central location. It's much easier for fans to drive back and forth on a daily basis so I'm sure more tickets are sold when its played in Bismarck or Minot....
Last edited by scruffy on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby #28 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:09 am

the fargodome does have great smoothies tho lol
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:51 am

Isn't it about the players playing in the tournement to be the best not the fans staying in nice hotels? If there was a place to play that offered the best environment to play in and the city just sucked I would choose that city. I don't care if the fans have to camp at the KOA and fish a lake to eat. I think the State B should be in Bismarck EVERY year. The civic center is perfect. Not saying that Bismarck is terrible, it is more than enough to host the event even though it does not offer what Fargo does.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:55 am

scruffy wrote:It's an awful atmosphere in that building and the climate in the valley is the worst. Due to the cold and snow, the valley would be a terrible place to live, but I don't mind visiting, and can put up with the weather for three days. Fargo does offer more lodging, eateries and shopping then Bismarck or Minot so in that catagory Fargo has a huge advantage..An advantage for Bismarck or Minot is the central location. It's much easier for fans to drive back and forth on a daily basis so I'm sure more tickets are sold when its played in Bismarck or Minot....

The good news is, this week all of our snow finally started melting so the conditions shouldn't be too harsh for the westerners that aren't used to the snow and cold! :wink:
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:02 pm

I really think location has little to do with it actually. How many times do you make a state "B"? Not very often. I highly doubt western teams are going to complain about having to drive a long ways. Mott drove to Fargo for state football, I'm sure they don't have a problem with it again.

The problem like we said is that the Dome is just not a basketball venue. It is a football dome. Not a basketball dome. Like I said, Grand Forks and Fargo get State Football so Minot and Bismarck should get State Basketball. Minot and Bismarck are "Basketball Venues" while Grand Forks and Fargo are "Football Venues".
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gfhockey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Class b boys- rotate Minot and bismarck
Class b girls- Rotate Minot and Bismarck
Super A- Rotate Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck
Football- Fargo and Grand forks
Hockey- Always Grand forks

Each major city is in there 3 times except minot since they dont have a good football stadium for a november games.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Johhnyping wrote:
BB11 wrote:They should be hosting their last B tournament. I came from the east and hated the tournament being in Fargo. Location has little to do with my complaint. The dome is a horrible place to watch the B. The atmosphere of the city is that of almost ignorance that the B is in town. It's not even the headline in their papers. I don't know why the so called "experts" at the NDHSAA think it is a good idea to have the B in Fargo - they are the ones that see the money - they don't make as much in Fargo - not that many people go - or want to go there - It is a HORRIBLE VENUE FOR THE STATE B - both the Dome, the City, and the Atmosphere. Hopefully - if enough of the REAL CLASS B fans stand up against this - this will be the last B in Fargo.

First of all the Fargodome is the only host that does make money!

Secondly--"headlines in the newspaper" What difference does that make??? does it improve yourstay??

It is not the best place to play, or to watch a game. Hopefully the new addition will help

Fargo has more quality Hotels, Dining , Shopping, Entertainment than any of the other host cities

Now I'm not attacking you because you are the only one that doesn't agree with my opinion, but how is Fargo the only host that makes money for the B? They sell less tickets - herego less concessions, and fewer people buying B' t-shirts, and less people to get money from for parking?
Not attacking - just wondering how that is possible that they actually make money for the NDHSAA, when Minot and Bismarck both get packed every year the B is there with 9-10,000 people. And Fargo might get 7,000?
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:49 pm

PLus the atmosphere in the dome just plain not cool.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:56 pm

gfhockey wrote:Class b boys- rotate Minot and bismarck

Each major city is in there 3 times except minot since they dont have a good football stadium for a november games.

how would you do the Super A in Grand Forks?? Betty and Ralph? Betty and Alerus? Just Alerus, like the fargodome...but do they even have a floor let alone 2?

i would say:
b boys - bismarck minot
b girls - bismarck minot
super a - bismarck fargo
football - fargo grand forks
hockey - grand forks
volleyball - minot fargo
b baseball - mandan jamestown
a baseball - mandan jamestown

that means all cities would be in the mix with the 3 main cities getting 3 tourneys and the 3 other cities getting 2.....Bismarck (3), Minot (3), Fargo (3), Grand Forks (2), Mandan (2), Jamestown (2)
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby gfhockey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:59 pm

baseball wrote:
gfhockey wrote:Class b boys- rotate Minot and bismarck

how would you do the Super A in Grand Forks?? Betty and Ralph? Betty and Alerus? Just Alerus, like the fargodome...but do they even have a floor let alone 2?

i would say:
b boys - bismarck minot
b girls - bismarck minot
super a - bismarck fargo
football - fargo grand forks
hockey - grand forks
volleyball - minot fargo
b baseball - mandan jamestown
a baseball - mandan jamestown

that means all cities would be in the mix with the 3 main cities getting 3 tourneys and the 3 other cities getting 2.....Bismarck (3), Minot (3), Fargo (3), Grand Forks (2), Mandan (2), Jamestown (2)

# main? I would say Grand Forks is more then a main city then minot. The super A was first held in grand forks last year. The alerus center as two courts. Most people ive talked to around the region say they liked the alerus center setup then the dome but thats just there opnions.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Fargo had the Super A last year...pretty sure about it. and what i was talkin aobut main cities are the main cities for basketball and them are Bismarck, Fargo, and Minot. Grand Forks should just not hold basketball at all....that atmosphere would be worse then Fargo around the city. everything would be overshadowed by UND hockey cuz thats all everyone cares about up there. esspecially since the tourney would be held during the time in which UND is playing for post season position...no one would care about the A
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby gfhockey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:08 pm

I no Grand Forks had it the first year cuz i was on the board in grand forks when it was there. I was just told form peopel around the region including people from fargo that the alerus was better for the two court setup.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:12 pm

Your right fargo had it last year and i think GF had it the year before idk msut be the kool aid im drinking.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:14 pm

well i suppose you could throw them in the mix for hte Super A then. Give Minot, Fargo, Bismarck, and GF all 3...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby gfhockey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Does minot even have the facilities for the super A? My opinion is get rid of the super A.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby nordstde » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:34 pm

The main idea is that having the tournament in Fargo takes away so much of the school pride and intesity. You guys are right, most people if Fargo could care less about the Class B tourney. Also, the Dome not cool for basketball. Who cares if Fargo has better shopping, hotels etc.. It's not about that, it's about they players and fans having the best experience possible. Class B isn't like Class A, there are different teams every year in the tournament. That is what makes it WAAAYY more exiting than Class A. Imagine being Watford City. I beilieve this is their first tournament in like 15 years. Now they have to drive all the way to Fargo to play? That's just dumb. My main point is that in no way shape or form does Fargo represent what Class B basketball is all about.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:21 pm

Anybody that has attended basketball games throughout the different sites knows Fargo is the poorest designed with the seating being too far away from the court. Big problem is that other cities want the $$$$ generated by communities/towns coming to the event. Guess that's not really a problem, but an issue. I'm sure your talking many thousands of dollars generated during this weekend that everybody wants to get their hands on. I'm sure Bismarck doesn't mind hosting tourneys, but can see other cities wanting to do it also. Regardless the thing about the B tournament is no matter where its played your going to get the fans. I expect the attendance this year to be drastically higher than the past due to Mott/regent and TLM representing their regions instead of Dickinson Trinity and Shiloh Christian. These two communities should bring 3-4 times the amount of fans as Trinity or Shiloh have.
bigpoppakdog

Postby peanut butter » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:13 pm

I like the B in Bismarck last year the championship game was rocking. Great for the players and fans!
peanut butter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:37 am

Awful crowds for the opening round. Case closed.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys