Shot Clock

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Shot Clock

Postby shortstop » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:01 pm

It's probably been discussed on here before, but I would like the Class B to use the shot clock. Pro bb has it, college bb has it, Class A has it,...Why not everybody?
shortstop

Re: Shot Clock

Postby east5840 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:06 pm

shortstop wrote:It's probably been discussed on here before, but I would like the Class
B to use the shot clock. Pro bb has it, college bb has it, Class A has
it,...Why not everybody?

I disagree, class B doesnt need it, thats why class B is class B, its been that way for a long time and why change whats working, B should never have a shot clock. Class B basketball is by far are the best and most popular sporting events in this state, expecially state B tournement.
east5840
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:11 am

I'm wondering how many shots are actually affected by the shot clock in high school ball?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:21 am

shortstop wrote:It's probably been discussed on here before, but I would like the Class B to use the shot clock. Pro bb has it, college bb has it, Class A has it,...Why not everybody?

ive said this before too....if your gonna say why not everybody, why doesnt Class A drop the shot clock and play four 8 minute quarters. ya know, like the rest of the country.....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Siouxalltheway » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:01 am

The game needs a shot clock for the same reason that there is and needs to be a three point line. Teams need to be able to catch up... So many times a team gets up by ten during tournament time and it turns into pass the ball around for 45 seconds until the defense falls asleep then get a lay-up. You need to reward teams for playing good defense for 30 or 35 seconds and it would give the fourth fourth quarter all the more excitement. And then you wouldn't have to worry about teams pulling the ball out for one shot with 1 minute and 15 seconds on the clock.
Siouxalltheway
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:29 am

all that is then is a way for every kid to be a winner. "so the team can catch up". maybe incorporate a line 25 feet out for a "4 pointer", or maybe every shot in the last minute of each quarter is worth 3 points.....i know what im saying is ridiculous, but my point is where does it stop in the search for the "even-for-both-teams" game. teams will always be better, there will always be blow outs. The shot clock will just add to the blowouts by forcing the winning team to shoot more (Arizona was beating Oregon St. 59-21 at halftime tonight, shot clock didnt help). it doesnt matter if there is a shot clock or not, a team with the lead in the 4th qaurter, last 4 minutes, whatever would still find a way to manage the clock. i remember watching a game a few years ago in college where the losing team was chasing the ball around and when noone was in the lane, they sent a guy to the rim to throw the ball at the bottom of the rim so they could get the shot clock to reset and run more time off the clock. that just goes to show that some teams (or should i say coaches) will do anything to win, whether liked or not. its called strategy, coaching, game planning.....the same teams will be there in the end
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:24 am

shot clock would come into play on fewer than 5 times during a game....if you play pressure man to man defense in class b north dakota, you will either get A. A turnover or B. a shot under 35 seconds after the possession started. Yes this may mean coming out of your 2-3 zone.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:30 am

The Schwab wrote:shot clock would come into play on fewer than 5 times during a game....if you play pressure man to man defense in class b north dakota, you will either get A. A turnover or B. a shot under 35 seconds after the possession started. Yes this may mean coming out of your 2-3 zone.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:58 am

baseball wrote:
The Schwab wrote:shot clock would come into play on fewer than 5 times during a game....if you play pressure man to man defense in class b north dakota, you will either get A. A turnover or B. a shot under 35 seconds after the possession started. Yes this may mean coming out of your 2-3 zone.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!

ya i know....scary right?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:11 am

Siouxalltheway wrote:The game needs a shot clock for the same reason that there is and needs to be a three point line. Teams need to be able to catch up... So many times a team gets up by ten during tournament time and it turns into pass the ball around for 45 seconds until the defense falls asleep then get a lay-up. You need to reward teams for playing good defense for 30 or 35 seconds and it would give the fourth fourth quarter all the more excitement. And then you wouldn't have to worry about teams pulling the ball out for one shot with 1 minute and 15 seconds on the clock.

I agree with this thinking. I absolutely hate it when a team with a 5 point lead will stall with over 2 or 3 minutes left. I am sure many of us have seen this happen. BORING. If there was a shot clock we would not have anymore of those nail bitters that end by a 15 point blow out because the team who is down does not have the option to play great defence for 30 secs instead of putting them on the line with 3 minutes left in the ball game and let them get 15+ free throw attempts to close.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Siouxalltheway » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:44 pm

After watching the watford game tonight i still think we need a shot clock. six point game with three minutes left and M-R had to foul to try to get the ball back, then they tried to d it up the next possession and watford passed it around for 33 seconds which would be a shot clock violation in class a and they got a lay up, you need to reward defense and make a ten point margin in the last three minutes attainable.
Siouxalltheway
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theDIRTYdub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:48 pm

Siouxalltheway wrote:The game needs a shot clock for the same reason that there is and needs to be a three point line. Teams need to be able to catch up... So many times a team gets up by ten during tournament time and it turns into pass the ball around for 45 seconds until the defense falls asleep then get a lay-up. You need to reward teams for playing good defense for 30 or 35 seconds and it would give the fourth fourth quarter all the more excitement. And then you wouldn't have to worry about teams pulling the ball out for one shot with 1 minute and 15 seconds on the clock.

Maybe a team shouldn't get down ten in the state tournament then? Play tight D and get good shots and it shouldn't be an issue. And i disagree, down 10 with even 1:30 left isn't a terribly huge deal if you can execute. I went from class B without a clock to college ball with a shot clock and it really wasn't a major deal, with the exception of a slightly more sped up game.
There's no "I" in team...But there is in "win"...
theDIRTYdub
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:17 pm

theDIRTYdub wrote:

Maybe a team shouldn't get down ten in the state tournament then? Play tight D and get good shots and it shouldn't be an issue. And i disagree, down 10 with even 1:30 left isn't a terribly huge deal if you can execute. I went from class B without a clock to college ball with a shot clock and it really wasn't a major deal, with the exception of a slightly more sped up game.

So why do people make such a big deal about it? You said it yourself, "wasn't a major deal". A slightly more sped up game is going to make a more exciting game. Especially the end of a close game.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:45 am

ive also played both high school without a shot clock, then with one in college, and i personally did not see a difference at all. the reason the game was sped up was because the athletes were better, quicker, faster, stronger, etc... it wasnt the shot clock that sped up the game, it was the talent level of the players on the floor
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:47 am

baseball wrote:
shortstop wrote:It's probably been discussed on here before, but I would like the Class B to use the shot clock. Pro bb has it, college bb has it, Class A has it,...Why not everybody?

ive said this before too....if your gonna say why not everybody, why doesnt Class A drop the shot clock and play four 8 minute quarters. ya know, like the rest of the country.....

I was at a coaches clinic in Las Vegas a few years ago when the speaker asked how many coaches have to play with a shot clock. To my amazement about half of the hands in the arena went were raised, so its not just Class A in ND. As for the 8 minute quarters. Minnesota hasn't played quarters for the past 3 years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:39 am

baseball wrote:ive also played both high school without a shot clock, then with one in college, and i personally did not see a difference at all. the reason the game was sped up was because the athletes were better, quicker, faster, stronger, etc... it wasnt the shot clock that sped up the game, it was the talent level of the players on the floor

So why doesn't college just drop the shot clock? Because you would have teams that would not be rewarded for playing great defense and forcing a turn over or a really bad shot due to that shot clock. Also, college coaches would not be earning 100% of their pay check. Clock management at the end of the game by a coach is critical. Especially on the DEFENSIVE end.

A shot clock would only make class B basketball better.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:53 am

You want the ball back, PLAY DEFENSE! There is no reason on God's green earth to artificially give the ball back to the team that is behind. You fall behind, you suffer the consequences.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:53 am

Yesterday we saw what is supposed to be the top eight in the state....They couldn't hold on to the ball!!! Turnover after turnover and many of those were unforced..Most class "B" teams aren't capable of holding on to the ball for 30 seconds..That tells me a shot clock is not needed. All that would do is handicap the teams that take pride in defense....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:48 am

GoodO'LBoy wrote:
baseball wrote:ive also played both high school without a shot clock, then with one in college, and i personally did not see a difference at all. the reason the game was sped up was because the athletes were better, quicker, faster, stronger, etc... it wasnt the shot clock that sped up the game, it was the talent level of the players on the floor

So why doesn't college just drop the shot clock? Because you would have teams that would not be rewarded for playing great defense and forcing a turn over or a really bad shot due to that shot clock. Also, college coaches would not be earning 100% of their pay check. Clock management at the end of the game by a coach is critical. Especially on the DEFENSIVE end.

thats the point....it doesnt matter if there is a shot clock or not, coaches have to manage the clock. Class B doesnt have one, get over it. there will be a 3 class system before there will be a shot clock in class b...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:53 am

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:

I was at a coaches clinic in Las Vegas a few years ago when the speaker asked how many coaches have to play with a shot clock. To my amazement about half of the hands in the arena went were raised, so its not just Class A in ND. As for the 8 minute quarters. Minnesota hasn't played quarters for the past 3 years.

when i said like the rest of the country, that was majority. i figured people wouldve realized that but guess not. about the shot clock, maybe in that room sure....but there is something like 86% of the schools in the country dont use the shot clock. plus how many coaches from Florida and New York are going to fly to Vegas for a coaches meeting so thats kinda irrelavent but i see where your coming from. as for the halves....so were 1 of 2 states that do it....is this what we do to try to get back on the basketball map?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:17 am

baseball wrote:
GoodO'LBoy wrote:

thats the point....it doesnt matter if there is a shot clock or not, coaches have to manage the clock. Class B doesnt have one, get over it. there will be a 3 class system before there will be a shot clock in class b...

For a guy who claimed to play college ball, I would think you had a better handle on strategy. If a team tries to sit on the ball with a 5 point lead with 3 minutes left, the coach who is down only has two options, foul asap or keep playing the best defence you can hopeing for a turnover or a missed shot. If there was a shot clock the coach has one more option. His team does not have to OVERPLAY and risk giving up a layup. They can play solid defence for 30 secs and hopefully rush a bad shot. Knowing how many possessions you will have left in a game and using that to your advantage is called CLOCK MANAGEMENT!!! I WILL SAY IT AGAIN!! A SHOT CLOCK WOULD ONLY MAKE CLASS B BETTER!!! And trust me. I am over it. If they do not impliment it I will not lose any sleep over it.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:26 am

in Class B basketball you will get burned less if you overplay. the composure and ball handling arent great with the youth of the kids. even the best players get rattled when you play pressure defense. not to mention if you play pressure defense the whole game you get away with more fouls then you would if you just sit back. clock management isnt just counting how many possessions you can get with a shot clock in the last three minutes. clock management is controling the clock with or without a shot clock. if your ahead, you manage the clock to get as few possessions in them 3 minutes as possible. if your behind you manage the clock to get as many possessions as you can. if you should reward the defense for playing good defense for 35 seconds with a bad shot or a turnover, why cant you reward the offense for taking control of the ball and NOT turning it over by letting them keep it? theres pros and cons to everything....the key is to find a system in which there are more pros then there are cons. and class B has that perfect system right now
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:32 am

let's all do something tonight watching the games. Let's track the the time of possession for each team from when they cross half-court to when the shot is taken. I did that last night and noticed not one possession lasted longer than 25 seconds. Nice to actually have time of possession tracked.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 am

I did that also last night. I started thinking about it after Watford City tried to hold on for the last shot of the 3rd quarter when there was about 45 seconds left. I thought the possession took forever, but in watching the clock it was only 23 seconds. Just because it seems like they are sitting on the ball for a minute or more doesn't mean that's the actual case.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby MGUNVILLE » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:44 am

class b basketball is fun to watch because there is no clear favorite most of the time. any team can win onany given night. it isnt broke leave it alone
MGUNVILLE

Next

Return to Boys