Randy Cranston vs. John Butterfield

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Randy Cranston vs. John Butterfield

Postby tellmeaboutit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Watford City vs. Mott/Regent looks to be a great game. Two perennial great football programs competing for a state basketball championship. Do you think that this game will come down to the coaching? And if so, who would you prefer to be handling the reins....Cranston or Butterfield. And why?
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Randy Cranston vs. John Butterfield

Postby automatic99 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:19 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:Watford City vs. Mott/Regent looks to be a great game. Two perennial great football programs competing for a state basketball championship. Do you think that this game will come down to the coaching? And if so, who would you prefer to be handling the reins....Cranston or Butterfield. And why?

I don't know much about Butterfield, but I've seen Cranston coach a few times over the years. I think he does a nice job with his kids. He puts them in good position to win every game they play. He led his team to an unbeaten regular season in a tough region, which is very impressive. The only knock I have on the guy is when I saw him coaching wearing a striped shirt and polka-dot tie.
automatic99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballernation » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:41 pm

automatic99 wrote:
tellmeaboutit wrote:Watford City vs. Mott/Regent looks to be a great game. Two perennial great football programs competing for a state basketball championship. Do you think that this game will come down to the coaching? And if so, who would you prefer to be handling the reins....Cranston or Butterfield. And why?

I don't know much about Butterfield, but I've seen Cranston coach a few times over the years. I think he does a nice job with his kids. He puts them in good position to win every game they play. He led his team to an unbeaten regular season in a tough region, which is very impressive. The only knock I have on the guy is when I saw him coaching wearing a striped shirt and polka-dot tie.

ya he is goofy but is definetly one of the best coaches in the state
ballernation
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:48 am

Went to college with Cranston....Hard for me to picture him as a responsible adult influencing the lives of young people. Therefore, I go with Butterfield.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vballfan06 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:11 am

he's grown up ALOT.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:18 am

Baller wrote:Went to college with Cranston....Hard for me to picture him as a responsible adult influencing the lives of young people. Therefore, I go with Butterfield.

I also went to college with him. Don't know Butterfield but I do know Cranston is a smart dude and can get things through to his players. I would go with Randy. I would trust him with my sons basketball career.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby theDIRTYdub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 am

Anyone could have taken the Watford City boys to state. they have been playing together and winning since they were fourth graders. Now they are all back together as older high school kids, and continue to win like they know how to do. They might not be the best players, but together, the chemistry is unmatched. Many of the players are great kids all around, and will buy into any system and win with it. Randy Cranston might know how to look up an offense and run it through the kids heads, but he is not a great coach. Average, maybe.....
There's no "I" in team...But there is in "win"...
theDIRTYdub
NDPreps Reserve

Postby blue steel » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:13 am

Ok does anyone else think that Butterfield looks like a cross between Christopher Walken and Harey Carey?
blue steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:03 am

Baller wrote:Went to college with Cranston....Hard for me to picture him as a responsible adult influencing the lives of young people. Therefore, I go with Butterfield.

LOL!!! No comment. :D
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby eyeinthesky » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:37 am

I saw Cranston coaching during the 06-07 season but have only had the chance to see him at the State Tournament on TV this year. *edited by the moderator, don't you think that the coaches read this, or have someome tell them about it? Use some common sense please*

Butterfield has been there and done that. He has been around the game FOREVER. I have not seen Butterfield coaching in person, but it appears he is a pretty classy guy. IMHO

It sometimes takes coaches time to grow comfortable with themselves and the game. No different than players, officials or AD's. Comes with age and expericence.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby automatic99 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:32 pm

theDIRTYdub wrote:Anyone could have taken the Watford City boys to state. they have been playing together and winning since they were fourth graders. Now they are all back together as older high school kids, and continue to win like they know how to do. They might not be the best players, but together, the chemistry is unmatched. Many of the players are great kids all around, and will buy into any system and win with it. Randy Cranston might know how to look up an offense and run it through the kids heads, but he is not a great coach. Average, maybe.....

You do realize that some people coach for 20 years and have many good players and still don't make it to the state tournament, right? How can you give a coach no credit at all. Coaches need to keep kids motivated and put them in the right situations to win games and make state tournaments. I'm sorry to tell you that just because teams are good in fourth grade.......doesn't guarantee them a spot in the state tournament once they get to high shool. Congratulations on being an ignorant fan. I'm sure you would be the first to blame a coach for not getting his kids as far as they should get......it's too bad you can't give a coach credit when he does. One more thing......obviously Cranston's colleagues think he did a great job this year. They did vote him state COY. But yeah......he is average I guess.
automatic99
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoops247 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Nicely stated automatic99!!
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby 9manfootballmom » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:23 pm

hoops247 wrote:Nicely stated automatic99!!

Ditto MOM
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theDIRTYdub » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:14 am

automatic99 wrote:
theDIRTYdub wrote:Anyone could have taken the Watford City boys to state. they have been playing together and winning since they were fourth graders. Now they are all back together as older high school kids, and continue to win like they know how to do. They might not be the best players, but together, the chemistry is unmatched. Many of the players are great kids all around, and will buy into any system and win with it. Randy Cranston might know how to look up an offense and run it through the kids heads, but he is not a great coach. Average, maybe.....

You do realize that some people coach for 20 years and have many good players and still don't make it to the state tournament, right? How can you give a coach no credit at all. Coaches need to keep kids motivated and put them in the right situations to win games and make state tournaments. I'm sorry to tell you that just because teams are good in fourth grade.......doesn't guarantee them a spot in the state tournament once they get to high shool. Congratulations on being an ignorant fan. I'm sure you would be the first to blame a coach for not getting his kids as far as they should get......it's too bad you can't give a coach credit when he does. One more thing......obviously Cranston's colleagues think he did a great job this year. They did vote him state COY. But yeah......he is average I guess.

Simple got OUTCOACHED at the state tournament. From the east we all expected this big bad WATFORD CITY TEAM to be great and make some serious noise, when in reality they simply didn't show up. It was easy to see cranstons greenness to coaching. All those awards don't mean a thing, you're the type of fan that thinks because they give this award, he is the bomb. Maybe if you knew something about basketball and the game you'd see differently. But cute arguement son!
There's no "I" in team...But there is in "win"...
theDIRTYdub
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eyeinthesky » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:38 am

theDIRTYdub wrote:
automatic99 wrote:

Simple got OUTCOACHED at the state tournament. From the east we all expected this big bad WATFORD CITY TEAM to be great and make some serious noise, when in reality they simply didn't show up. It was easy to see cranstons greenness to coaching. All those awards don't mean a thing, you're the type of fan that thinks because they give this award, he is the bomb. Maybe if you knew something about basketball and the game you'd see differently. But cute arguement son!

Very true DIRTY.......
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsnut » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 am

I have to plead ignorant here between these two guys. Although I will make one comment re: Cranston. He did a heckuva a job with his boys this season, but I thought he was a little unprofessional during the tourney. At halftime of their first game, he picked up his clip board and threw it like three times on the floor and was yelling at his kids ect... He seemed like he was irate the whole tourney. (Just my opinion)

P.S. Anyone know when the coach of the year is decided. I know T.L.-M. had high expectations this year but received little respect. (22 game win streak and still did'nt crack the top ten till late in the season, and then could only climb to sixth.) People questioned weather they could match with other teams because of their size disadvantage, not only in the tourney but all season. They ended up being the state runners up. I thought maybe Anderson should have got it.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:32 pm

ndsportsnut wrote: P.S. Anyone know when the coach of the year is decided. I know T.L.-M. had high expectations this year but received little respect.

All the coaches in the state are emailed the week before the state tourney and asked to vote for the coach of the year. All the region coach of the year winners are nominated along with the coach of the top placing team in the region other than that coached by the coach of year winner. Example: Ron Carlson won COY in region 4. ML got upset in the first round so the highest placing team other than ML was the region champ FW so coach Smith also gets nominated. So all in all, 16 coaches are nominated for coach of the year honors and it is voted on before the state tourney begins.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby automatic99 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:33 pm

theDIRTYdub wrote:
automatic99 wrote:

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Normally, I am completely against awards and stuff because I know how political they become. Most of the time they are a popularity contest and a big joke. The reason I give credit for randy getting COY is this......He is a very young coach and he was voted COY by many respected, experienced coaches. I trust that they would make a good decision. If people who have been coaching for years and have been successful can seee that Cranston did a good job this year, why can't you? When it comes to awards for players, coaches lobby and beg for votes a lot of the time. We all know it happens and sometimes the awards become a joke. So, no......I am not the type of fan who thinks awards are always an accurate way of giving recognition....but, in this case I do. Also, I'm not sure I ever said Cranston was "the bomb". I just wanted to give some credit where credit is due. They ran into a tough Grafton team that did go on the win the whole thing. As far as the 3rd/4th place game goes......WC played all 14 of their players and lost to a very good Lamoure team that played it's normal rotation of 7. Oh yeah....it was on a three-pointer with 1 second left too. I wouldn't consdider that being outcoached either. By the way....I've been around the game of basketball for 25 years in many different situations. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about......but thanks for trying to put me down "daddy".
automatic99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsnut » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for the info. I assume then the State Tourney results have no bearing on this award. Congrats to the winner.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby automatic99 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:04 pm

scc wrote:I thought it was great that coach Cranston got all his players in during the 3rd place game. He didn't wait until the 4th quarter to do it, either.

I agree. Randy gave all his kids some playing time. I know the game was important, but it was a 3rd and 4th place game so I though he did the right thing. They still almost beat a very good Lamoure team. Great season WC and great job coach Cranston.
automatic99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:11 pm

I agree, that was a pretty classy thing to do on his part. Some of the bench players on other teams just got in a few seconds at the very end of a game. For those kids to play meaningfull minutes in the 3rd/4th place game at state is a priceless memory as well as a great learning experience for those kids coming back.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys