Grinnsteiner On Monday Night Live

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Grinnsteiner On Monday Night Live

Postby tellmeaboutit » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:45 pm

Did anyone see Grinny on TV tonight. Say what you will about him, but he is a class act. Trinity should be proud as well as the rest of Region 7.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Grinnsteiner On Monday Night Live

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Didn't see this but I have one question-why was he on and what were they discussing?
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tellmeaboutit » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:54 pm

chevyman11 wrote:Didn't see this but I have one question-why was he on and what were they discussing?

Lee Timmerman was asking him questions about the atmosphere at state. What its like for the coaches and the kids. What a coach had to do to prepare, etc.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:
chevyman11 wrote:Didn't see this but I have one question-why was he on and what were they discussing?

Lee Timmerman was asking him questions about the atmosphere at state. What its like for the coaches and the kids. What a coach had to do to prepare, etc.

Do they do this every year or is this the first because I don't recall seeing this done before.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tellmeaboutit » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 pm

chevyman11 wrote:
tellmeaboutit wrote:

Do they do this every year or is this the first because I don't recall seeing this done before.

I think it must have been a slow sports night. I'd never seen it done before either.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Playa_Hata10 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:53 pm

i think they did it because nbc knows that he knows what it's like to get ready for a state tournament, i mean, he had been there 7 years in a row before this year. i was impressed with the compliments he gave the mott/regent team. i also think that it was a slow sports night, so they needed to throw in somethin kinda interesting...it was the first year i've seen them do something like that. kinda neat though
Playa_Hata10

Postby Flyer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Playa_Hata10 wrote:i think they did it because nbc knows that he knows what it's like to get ready for a state tournament, i mean, he had been there 7 years in a row before this year. i was impressed with the compliments he gave the mott/regent team. i also think that it was a slow sports night, so they needed to throw in somethin kinda interesting...it was the first year i've seen them do something like that. kinda neat though

What did he say about the Mott-Regent team??
Flyer

Postby silentbob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:42 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:Did anyone see Grinny on TV tonight. Say what you will about him, but he is a class act. Trinity should be proud as well as the rest of Region 7.

I agree. Even though Trinity didn't make the State Tournament this year, they probably could have. The fact that they only had 3 returning players with experience, and NO starters back, and still did as good as they did is amazing. Do you guys think after he's done coaching, or even now, he's considered one of the best coaches in ND history?
silentbob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tellmeaboutit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:48 pm

No matter where you go or who you talk to in North Dakota, Grinnsteiner's name is always brought up with the likes of Nelson from MayPort and Eddie Beyer from Hillsoboro. I think he's a great coach and better yet he's a great teacher. He also demands good sportsmanship from his players. You might see poor sportsmanship from the crowd, but you rarely see it from one of his players. He's just an all around great guy.

I've even heard that he has been sought after by some of the public schools in the area, but he wants to stay at his alma mater (Trinity). He's a Math teacher, so God knows he'd make better money somewhere else, plus Math is an area that is in demand. (Maybe he's not so smart afterall!)
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:12 pm

silentbob wrote:
tellmeaboutit wrote:Did anyone see Grinny on TV tonight. Say what you will about him, but he is a class act. Trinity should be proud as well as the rest of Region 7.

I agree. Even though Trinity didn't make the State Tournament this year, they probably could have. The fact that they only had 3 returning players with experience, and NO starters back, and still did as good as they did is amazing. Do you guys think after he's done coaching, or even now, he's considered one of the best coaches in ND history?

7 trips to state in a row.....yea...he's one of the best to ever coach
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:21 pm

What Greg Grinnesteiner has done in the last decade makes him one of the best in my book.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 pm

here's a question:

is grinny a better coach, or is he better at building a program (no i don't mean recruiting, i mean everything from how he runs pratices for the varsity to his involvement with the jv, etc)?

you need both aspects in coaching. obviously you have to know some x's and o's and game management. but it seems like the real successful programs in the state are there year-in and year-out because the new players go into the program and the standards are set for what is expected of them.

any thoughts?
rep

Postby silentbob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:14 pm

The Schwab wrote:
silentbob wrote:

7 trips to state in a row.....yea...he's one of the best to ever coach

Not to mention he's never lost 2 games in a state tournament, and the worse they've finished is 5th
silentbob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hp fan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:40 pm

rep wrote:here's a question:

is grinny a better coach, or is he better at building a program (no i don't mean recruiting, i mean everything from how he runs pratices for the varsity to his involvement with the jv, etc)?

you need both aspects in coaching. obviously you have to know some x's and o's and game management. but it seems like the real successful programs in the state are there year-in and year-out because the new players go into the program and the standards are set for what is expected of them.

any thoughts?

I think they are the same thing. HE is great with X's and O's, but more importantly he, (and the rest of the athletic department) have done a wonderful job in mentoring young men and women, and teaching them what hard work and dedication is. That is why they are so good.
He is a great coach (the best I have ever seen), and that means he has control over his program. Top to bottom, x's and o's and everything else.
hp fan

Postby tellmeaboutit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:42 pm

hp fan wrote:
rep wrote:here's a question:

any thoughts?

I think they are the same thing. HE is great with X's and O's, but more importantly he, (and the rest of the athletic department) have done a wonderful job in mentoring young men and women, and teaching them what hard work and dedication is. That is why they are so good.
He is a great coach (the best I have ever seen), and that means he has control over his program. Top to bottom, x's and o's and everything else.

I hope he'll still be around 8 years from now to coach my kid!
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:41 pm

tellmeaboutit, He will be!! :D
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Return to Boys