Proposals for the Future

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Proposals for the Future

Postby ndhoopscoach » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:02 pm

I have heard some talk going around that the NDHSAA is thinking about making 4 regions for the state and sending 2 teams from a region to the state tournament. It looks that with the co-op they would have four districts in a region, which they would only take the top two teams from each district and put them in the regional tournament. Then they would possibly not play a regional championship game and just send those top two teams to the state tournament. Not sure how they are going to combine regions, but I think, from what I heard, it would go like this: Region 1 and Region 3 together, Region 2 and 4 together, Region 5 and 7 together, and Region 6 and 8 together. Either that or they will have to do more realigning to get the four regions. What are your thoughts on the subject?
ndhoopscoach

Re: Proposals for the Future

Postby shooter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:55 pm

That would definitely raise the bar as far as the competition goes. Put more emphasis on the regular season play, assuming this would eliminate districts? Just take the top two from each district and throw them all into one regional? Sounds good!
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:58 pm

if it's not broke don't fix it
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 pm

The Schwab wrote:if it's not broke don't fix it

Agreed - if it starts getting down to 10 or 11 teams per region - than I think we can take a look at this - but most regions have at least 14 teams- 17 teams in them. Right now - its still working the way it is.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndhoopscoach » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:28 pm

They would still have to play a district tournament, it would just be the top two teams from the district tournament that would be able to make it to the regionals. They want to eliminate the 3 and 4 seeds from the district tournaments in the regionals, which I don't know if I agree with, because I have seen a lot of #3 seeds from district tournaments make it to the state tournaments. Example, Mott/Regent this year. They wouldn't have even made regionals under this new format.
ndhoopscoach

Postby rep » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:34 pm

if they aren't going to switch girls' basketball to the fall, this could be a nice alternative. might make the final month and a half or five weeks or so a little more manageable when it comes to trying to keep up with both.

but until i see it, i believe nothing.
rep

Postby fb fan 4 life » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:43 pm

I don't like it because the money each school gets from the district tourney will now go to the State Association. I think they should leave it as it is.
fb fan 4 life

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Are you sure? I don't see any reason why the district tourney money couldn't be split up among district teams like it is now.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby fb fan 4 life » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:26 pm

I am assuming because there wouldn't be a District Tournament to spit the profits from. I don't know the reason for sure, I have just heard negative comments about it.
fb fan 4 life

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:20 am

So when its said that they will take the top 2 teams from each district does that mean regular season standings or district tournament finish? Guess it isn't really specified in the original post. I took it to mean district tournament finish.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby mplsfan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:09 am

I understood it to mean that four district TOURNAMENTS would feed a region tournament with the top two district tourney finishers going on to the regional. This would allow for example a team like the Velva girls who have lost to Bottineau in the last two regional finals to possibly make state even with a dominant team like Bottineau in their region. Perhaps Velva would have beaten New Town for example and still made it to state as the #2 out of that region. This is all hypothetical or course. I have no idea how they might group districts into regions. And no offense intended to New Town. Maybe they would have killed Velva. Just wanted to throw out an example.
Last edited by mplsfan on Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby mplsfan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:15 am

By the way, this is not new. Previous to the current 16 district format there were 32 districts divided among the 8 regions (back before closures and co-ops reduced the number of B schools). Each region was comprised of 4 districts with the top two going on to regions. The difference of course is that there would only be 4 regions instead of 8 and two teams from each region would advance to state instead of the current 1.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys