Sportsmanship

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Sportsmanship

Postby MT_20 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:04 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Ocho Siete wrote:
dablast wrote:The Schwab obv just has something against DP because this sounds like a fabricated story.

You're a fabricated story, yeah thats right, I went there.

Oh no you di'nt!

Oh I most definitely did.

Lets stop fighting like a bunch of little girls. It doesn't matter if he did it on purpose the DP fans were yelling things at him i no dustin during the game he is cocky but after he can be the nicest guy you no.
“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”
--Paul "Bear" Bryant
MT_20
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Most good players have that about them. Mark Wallace from Hatton-Northwood seems like a physical, arguably dirty player on the court to some people but off the court all I've heard about him is he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. People will come off as cocky but much of that has to do with their competitiveness. I'd want all my players to be as competitive and guys like Dustyn and Tanner because then you know they will leave everything on the court.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wombat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:29 pm

Obviously there is bad blood between NB and DP... BOOO HOOOO. quit your crying, both sides of it. you're obviously going to defend yourselves tooth and nail because of your dislike for each other.

Schwab pointed out the poor sportsmanship displayed and instead of taking responsibility and doing the right thing and maybe apologizing for your community you just start a stuff match with NB fans...

Maybe EVERYONE should grow up and start displaying a little sportsmanship once in a while.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby regionIIparent » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:40 pm

I think when players get technicals, they should be sat for the rest of the game, same for coaches. That would eliminate a lot of crying.
regionIIparent

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:13 pm

I don't agree with that because it all depends on the mood of the ref. I've seen some kids get technicals for next to nothing but the ref has a short fuse and wants to prove a point. Then some kids act much worse and don't get anything because that ref isn't as uptight.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:30 pm

The issues with sportsmanship are not new, stories exist from the 60's and 70's and beyond. The difference is that we live in an age of message boards and letter writing campaigns, and personal blogs. Things are overly scrutinized. I try to preach the mantra that sports are meant to be fun, lets not take that out of it. Sometimes emotions run high, try to stay off the back of the players, coaches, and the officials.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby tellmeaboutit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:51 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I don't agree with that because it all depends on the mood of the ref. I've seen some kids get technicals for next to nothing but the ref has a short fuse and wants to prove a point. Then some kids act much worse and don't get anything because that ref isn't as uptight.

I think all officials have a certain point where they will give a technical/yellow cards. I know from personal experience...having both given a yellow card in VB and received one, that each official is different. I do agree that the player that receives the card should be sat for a play or two to either calm down, or to be spoken to by the coach. Technicals are not OK, and kids need to know that as well. If you get a card from me, you deserve it, I'm not just trying to prove a point.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:05 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I don't agree with that because it all depends on the mood of the ref. I've seen some kids get technicals for next to nothing but the ref has a short fuse and wants to prove a point. Then some kids act much worse and don't get anything because that ref isn't as uptight.

I think all officials have a certain point where they will give a technical/yellow cards. I know from personal experience...having both given a yellow card in VB and received one, that each official is different. I do agree that the player that receives the card should be sat for a play or two to either calm down, or to be spoken to by the coach. Technicals are not OK, and kids need to know that as well. If you get a card from me, you deserve it, I'm not just trying to prove a point.

Well not every ref thinks like that and I'm just saying sometimes technicals aren't deserved and shouldn't be an automatic benching for the rest of the game.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:23 pm

I think the situation could have been handled better. But I saw in the Grafton that Dusty asked a Grafton fan for something to spit in and he happily obliged. This was during their incredible run in the fourth quarter. I think a fan coming to spit at him shows a lot about a person (which is not a good thing).
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:32 pm

cubsfan wrote:I think the situation could have been handled better. But I saw in the Grafton that Dusty asked a Grafton fan for something to spit in and he happily obliged. This was during their incredible run in the fourth quarter. I think a fan coming to spit at him shows how a lot about a person (which is not a good thing).

Yeah considering this is high school sports.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gotmypopcorn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 am

MT_20 wrote:
Ocho Siete wrote:
dablast wrote:The Schwab obv just has something against DP because this sounds like a fabricated story.

You're a fabricated story, yeah thats right, I went there.

Oh no you di'nt!

Oh I most definitely did.

Lets stop fighting like a bunch of little girls. It doesn't matter if he did it on purpose the DP fans were yelling things at him i no dustin during the game he is cocky but after he can be the nicest guy you no.

So, he is cocky during a game and was spitting at the DP fans. I can see why he instantly became a crowd favorite.

With those awful DP parents and fans, it amazes me that the players turned out so good. I don't recall seeing a single player technical foul this season. (correct me if I'm wrong) None of the players spit on the opposing fans, none of them play with a cocky attitude. They had some challenges during the game with NB fans heckling the bench all night and *Edit....no calling ref's out by name* trying their best to get the starting five fouled out. (only a couple of fouls away on one player to complete the sweep) Still they played hard, didn't cry to the officials or beg for mercy from them. They played showing good sportsmanship all season. It's been a pleasure to watch these young men.
gotmypopcorn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby halibut » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:47 pm

After reading all three pages on this topic i couldn't help but reply to everything that came up.
First of all, the Dakota Prairie fans are, and always have been terrible. That's just their nature. Was Dustyn spitting infront of their section the correct thing to do? No, it wasn't. Did it harm anybody? NO IT DIDNT. Dakota Prairie fans just need to settle down. I'm from District 3 and i'm even saying that. You had more talent and had no reason to lose that game and now your calling out a 18 year old kid. I had the privelage to talk to Dustyn after that game and he mentioned the Dakota Prairie fans yelling "Chale's gay" or "Chale stinks". That shows a lot of class. Dustyn is one of the nicest kids you could meet. Like everyone says, kids and people in general act differently in games. Wallace from HN is a great example. The kid comes off as a very physical, and in most of his games get's called dirty. I know Mark personally and he's a very funny kid and before game time he gets into game mode and won't crack a smile or anything. It's called intensity, determination, motivation, focused, pride, passion to win. So are we saying we should take that out of all the kids? Absolutely not! After the games and when Mark isn't playing basketball, he's the absolute nicest person you'll meet. Dustyn isn't the same as Wallace but kind of. Dustyn likes to joke around but alwasy works hard. He'll smile and show emotion but inside still shows intensity, determination, etc.
As for District/Region player of the year, give it a rest. Carpenter recieved it over Kliniske. Carpenter came to play this year before it was voted for and deserved it. Kliniske some games picked and chose when he wanted to show up. I watched the games in the regular season when he played MPCG and HN. Neither game did he do anything. I mean yes put in 16 vs. MPCG and 12 vs. HN but when you 6'6'' you definately should be doing that. Kliniske has been playing threw the region tournament with something to prove after not recieving the award. Now people raise their eyebrows but after district senior player was announced there was no way of him recieving the region player of the year since Tanner got district player of the year.
Sportsmanship has hit the fan as years come and go. It's a terrible thing and i believe it does start with parents. Technicals shouldn't be allowed by coaches. Penalties should be awarded to players/coaches who recieve them. Let's just all take a little lesson from this and try and act as good sports and hopefully our actions become contagious. That's all we can do in this day of age.
halibut
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:53 pm

halibut wrote:After reading all three pages on this topic i couldn't help but reply to everything that came up.
First of all, the Dakota Prairie fans are, and always have been terrible. That's just their nature. Was Dustyn spitting infront of their section the correct thing to do? No, it wasn't. Did it harm anybody? NO IT DIDNT. Dakota Prairie fans just need to settle down. I'm from District 3 and i'm even saying that. You had more talent and had no reason to lose that game and now your calling out a 18 year old kid. I had the privelage to talk to Dustyn after that game and he mentioned the Dakota Prairie fans yelling "Chale's gay" or "Chale stinks". That shows a lot of class. Dustyn is one of the nicest kids you could meet. Like everyone says, kids and people in general act differently in games. Wallace from HN is a great example. The kid comes off as a very physical, and in most of his games get's called dirty. I know Mark personally and he's a very funny kid and before game time he gets into game mode and won't crack a smile or anything. It's called intensity, determination, motivation, focused, pride, passion to win. So are we saying we should take that out of all the kids? Absolutely not! After the games and when Mark isn't playing basketball, he's the absolute nicest person you'll meet. Dustyn isn't the same as Wallace but kind of. Dustyn likes to joke around but alwasy works hard. He'll smile and show emotion but inside still shows intensity, determination, etc.
As for District/Region player of the year, give it a rest. Carpenter recieved it over Kliniske. Carpenter came to play this year before it was voted for and deserved it. Kliniske some games picked and chose when he wanted to show up. I watched the games in the regular season when he played MPCG and HN. Neither game did he do anything. I mean yes put in 16 vs. MPCG and 12 vs. HN but when you 6'6'' you definately should be doing that. Kliniske has been playing threw the region tournament with something to prove after not recieving the award. Now people raise their eyebrows but after district senior player was announced there was no way of him recieving the region player of the year since Tanner got district player of the year.
Sportsmanship has hit the fan as years come and go. It's a terrible thing and i believe it does start with parents. Technicals shouldn't be allowed by coaches. Penalties should be awarded to players/coaches who recieve them. Let's just all take a little lesson from this and try and act as good sports and hopefully our actions become contagious. That's all we can do in this day of age.

one of the better posts on preps i have read
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:09 am

The problem is that it's not fair to group all of a teams fans together and say they all behave like that. The majority of them are probably great people and wouldn't ever do anything like that. However you just grouped them all as being guilty. That's the part that's not fair and that's why in most circumstances I would have just deleted your long post as nothing more than fan bashing. In every game I have ever attended there has probably been one or two idiots that didn't know how to keep their mouths shut and just let the kids play. However we are supposed to believe that this is some problem specific to Dakota Prairie? I'm not buying it.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:17 am

tellmeaboutit wrote:

Well not every ref thinks like that and I'm just saying sometimes technicals aren't deserved and shouldn't be an automatic benching for the rest of the game.

if you look at the technicals, 90% come out of passion and emotion the kids play with. i.e. slamming the ball on the ground, pounching the floor, whatever. if its complaining about a call for an extended period of time or very harshly, go ahead T them up. but ive also seen technicals when a team makes a 3 to cap off a 10-0 run and the kid who grabs the ball bounces it hard on the floor and catches it (very powerful "power dribble" haha) and walks over to inbound it and doesnt say a thing. thats the technical i dont agree with. he let his frustration out in a way that was quick and didnt hurt anything. if your gonna t a kid up for frustration like that why isnt htere technicals when a kid holds a follow through, or a kid jumpin up and down when he senses the momentum shift?? basketball is competition and technicals just put a ceiling on how competative a player can be. how can you tell someone to get jacked up for a game but follow that with, o but not to pumped......just my opinion
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:49 am

Just finished this thread. Some thoughts.

Swearing at refs, personal attacks on refs (either verbal or physical) cannot be tolerated. Personal attacks means yelling things like "you're an idiot."

Yelling at refs out of frustration - it's going to happen. You cannot be emotionally involved in a game and not get frustrated with a call or two at some point. Things like "get in the game" or "call a foul" or "travelling" are harmless ways for fans to vent.

I refereed. My partners and I always told ourselves "They paid to get in, they paid to yell." As long as it wasn't cursing or personal, we just did our best to ignore it.

Booing kids or coaches who win awards - stupid. The player or coach must have done something to win the award - applaud them for it. Sure, you might think someone else deserved it more, but acknowledge the efforts put forth by the winner.

Applauding for a player that has fouled out - classy. I saw this many times in the tournaments.

Applauding for an injured player - classy. Again, saw this many times.

Yelling at players - never a good thing. Leave it to the officials and coaches to keep the players in line.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby MGUNVILLE » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 am

officials are part of the game and should do there best to not be noticed. if you are an official you should do your job and not be a factor in the outcome of the game. officiating is a very important job and should not be taken lightly.
MGUNVILLE

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:31 am

MGUNVILLE wrote:officials are part of the game and should do there best to not be noticed. if you are an official you should do your job and not be a factor in the outcome of the game. officiating is a very important job and should not be taken lightly.

how come people only think refs play an outcome in the game if they make a call in the last few seconds of the game (or no call...ex UCLA). im not saying you do after posting that but thats the only time its brought up. the best quote concerning the refs is that if its a foul in the first minute of hte game, its a foul in the last minute of the game. you cant just take the whistle out of your mouth
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby MGUNVILLE » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:34 am

i agree with you baseball. the game should be called the same whether it is in the first minute or in the last minute
MGUNVILLE

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:37 am

yea so one of the things that bugs me is when someone says....o that shouldnt have been a foul cuz it was with 6 seconds left or whatever...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:57 pm

The Schwab wrote:
halibut wrote:After reading all three pages on this topic i couldn't help but reply to everything that came up.

one of the better posts on preps i have read

The only thing that could make that post any better would've been to incorporate "mack and the boys" into it somewhere, haha. I agree with everything you said there, Dusty is one of my best friends so obviously I am going to defend him but it's nice to see someone from District 3 see it from our perspective.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys