State Tourney Banquet and Practices

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State Tourney Banquet and Practices

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:39 pm

In the Legends forum someone brought up Les Jepsen from Bowbells who played at Iowa St and also in the NBA for a short while and that got me thinking. I remember hearing him speak at the players/coaches banquet the night before the State Class B tourney started about 10 years ago. I also heard Brad Johnson speak the year before. Anyway, if I remember right about 4-5 years ago I read that they discontinued this banquet for the tourney participants. Is this true?? If so, I think its a shame. It was an honor for us as players to have the privilege to go to a banquet like this for making it to the big dance and it was also neat to hear a famous to somewhat famous motivational speaker, especially one originally from ND. I also heard that they quit allowing the 1 hour shootarounds on Wednesday afternoons because kids were missing too much school. I felt those shootarounds were necessary for us players to get used to the surroundings of those big arenas before we had to play 3 of the most important games of our careers. Its not like the players would be missing much during the school day right before leaving to go to state anyway. Can anyone give me a little insight on this?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: State Tourney Banquet and Practices

Postby ndsportsfan00 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:45 pm

I agree. When I went to State B as a junior they still had the banquet. It was a big deal and alot of fun too. I hadn't heard that they got rid of it but if that is true, it is a shame. It was part of the honor of making it to State.
I don't remember anyone famous speaking to us though. I just remember some "farmer" comedian that wasn't funny. He tried hard but his target audience had to be people over the age of 50. Kinda felt bad for the guy. He didn't get too many laughs.
Anyway...
If the banquet no longer exists, it truly is a shame.
ndsportsfan00

Postby Hinsa » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:51 pm

Must be some ND corporation that would pony up for the banquet. Gotta get out there and find a sponsor.

Let's see, 8 teams x 20 people in the team entourage = 160, plus another 20 or so tournament VIPs, what the heck, let's say an even 200 people. $25/plate = $5000.

I can see why the NDHSAA doesn't put it on any more, but I think a corporate sponsor(s) could be found.

I'm not saying I've got the connections to go find one, but somebody must have?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:02 pm

The banquet and shoot-around both are no longer in existance. I cant exactly remember when they stopped doing it - but I think it was either around 2000 or 2001 - sometime in that vicinity - money issue for the banquet - stupidity on the part of not allowing shoot-around. Teams can still come to site and practice - which all of them pretty much do - but they have to do it at a local HS or college - not at the state site.
I agree - that they both should be reinstated as a privilege for making it to the B.
My suggestion would be have the NDHSAA charge each school in Class B $25 to $50 a year for this for boys and girls combined that would be 125 schools (or so) x 25 = $3,125 or x 50 = $6,250 - This should be adequate enough funds to have the banquet for both boys and girls.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:48 pm

I believe the only time teams at the state tournament get to use court before the state tournament is the day of where they get around an hour to shoot around.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:55 pm

If all of this was just because of a money issue that's a terrible excuse. The State B is the crown jewel for ND TV exposure and everything else. There has to be companies out there that would love to contribute some money for the banquet, practice time, advertising, etc.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys