State Tournament Pairings

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Tournament Pairings

Postby Ocho Siete » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:41 pm

You just don't understand how basketball works...sheesh, if only you had my knowledge of the game. Are you implying that to win the State Title, you usually have to be the best team??

Preposterous

EDIT: hey, i have over 100 posts....cool
Ocho Siete
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:42 pm

Go lay by your dish, Ocho. :)
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:48 pm

When was the last uncompetitive blow out in the state championship game?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ocho Siete » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:54 pm

Hinsa wrote:Go lay by your dish, Ocho. :)

Ocho Siete
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Probably the Milnor/DT game back in 03 I think.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Hinsa wrote:I think I do get it....I just don't think it's necessary to seed the tournament. So what if a bracket is stacked? That's one of the things that gives the state tournament variety every year is the different chance matchups in the earlier rounds. If 1 played 8 every year, the first day could become pretty boring.

I'd much rather have the first day be boring then the Championship game be boring. The last 3 championship games have been very good. I just think it would make for a much better tournament if it was seeded. Every other tournament is seeded except for Holiday tournaments so again I ask, why not the state tournament? When I started this topic I was looking for a good reason why the state tournament isn't seeded, and haven't heard one yet. All I've heard is "that's just the way they do it". And I still don't think you get it.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby future star » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:06 pm

I think the team that will win state will be Bishop Ryan. 8)
future star
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shortstop » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:55 pm

I know I will not change your opinion north border but I totally agree with ndlionsfan. Leave it the way it is. Some kind of power formula would have some merit, but way to time consuming and not worth it. The system works just fine. You know way ahead of time when and who (what region) you play. So what if the "supposed" top two teams in the state play the first day. Watch it and enjoy! Just think about 31 years ago if they had pairings set up. We might not have had the most remembered game of all state championships when Gollieth (Hillsburo) met David (Epping).
As for those who think the polls should have some merit, forget about it! Same with the coaches. There are not that many coaches who see teams other than the two closest regions (geographically). The media poll is a crap shoot. They don't see many more teams than the average fan. And most of them do not see any teams from the west. I'm sitting way out west and if I had to vote for a top 30 in ND, I would have had at least 10 teams in it from Region 7 and 8. Some of them never got one vote all year in the poll. Would this mean anything. NO! Because I have no clue about the east teams.

Good topic North Border. You generated some discussion and it was interesting.

One note to Future Star. I will not agree with you on Minot Ryan. They lean way too much on two guys for their scoring. Defense will keep them in games though.
shortstop

Previous

Return to Boys