Region 1 Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 1 Tournament

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:45 am

Thought I'd start a new topic on Region 1 since the last one was locked. District 2 is done and District 1 finishes tonight. Here's how the region matchups look so far:

D2 #2 Richland vs. D1 #3 (North Sargent or Wyndmere)
D2 #4 Kindred vs. D1 #1 (Hankinson or Lisbon)

D2 #1 Central Cass vs. D1 #4 (North Sargent or Wyndmere or challenge game??)
D2 #3 Oak Grove vs. D1 #2 (Hankinson or Lisbon)

Games start next Monday at the Civic Center in Fargo.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Region 1 Tournament

Postby bballfan0821 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:58 pm

I think that Hankinson will win a close one with Lisbon to be the #1 seed out of district 1. I think they will make it to the championship and once again play Lisbon. Lisbon is going to want to seek revenge for not only this years loss's to Hankinson but last years as well. I do think Hankinson will make a repeat visit to the state tournament but they will have to fight to the very last seconds to get it.
bballfan0821

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:08 pm

bballfan0821 wrote:I think that Hankinson will win a close one with Lisbon to be the #1 seed out of district 1. I think they will make it to the championship and once again play Lisbon. Lisbon is going to want to seek revenge for not only this years loss's to Hankinson but last years as well. I do think Hankinson will make a repeat visit to the state tournament but they will have to fight to the very last seconds to get it.

Actually, I predict Central Cass will beat Lisbon in the semi-finals at regionals and there will be a Pirates/Squirrels rematch of last week's girls region championship game. This time, however, it will be the Squirrels turn to win and make the trip to state (OK, it would only be 20 miles, but you get my point). :wink:
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:22 pm

ClassBEast wrote:
bballfan0821 wrote:I think that Hankinson will win a close one with Lisbon to be the #1 seed out of district 1. I think they will make it to the championship and once again play Lisbon. Lisbon is going to want to seek revenge for not only this years loss's to Hankinson but last years as well. I do think Hankinson will make a repeat visit to the state tournament but they will have to fight to the very last seconds to get it.

Actually, I predict Central Cass will beat Lisbon in the semi-finals at regionals and there will be a Pirates/Squirrels rematch of last week's girls region championship game. This time, however, it will be the Squirrels turn to win and make the trip to state (OK, it would only be 20 miles, but you get my point). :wink:

i actually think that it will be a Colt's/ Squirrels rematch of the dist. 2 championship. Lisbon hasnt really showed they can win in the region tournament. The colts almost had hankinson earlier and i think they will get past them in the semis.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan0821 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:25 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
ClassBEast wrote:

i actually think that it will be a Colt's/ Squirrels rematch of the dist. 2 championship. Lisbon hasnt really showed they can win in the region tournament. The colts almost had hankinson earlier and i think they will get past them in the semis.

I don't know. I have seen Hankinson play a few times and it's hard to get past them. Jamie Mauch is an unstoppable player and when hankinson is on fire there's no getting past them. I do believe though that Central Cass has a very good chance at beating Lisbon in the semi's for a second PIrates/Squirrels regional championship this year, but I do think that hankinson is going to make the trip to fargo this year for state.
bballfan0821

Postby digger » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:32 pm

This should be a great regional, I truly think any of the four top seeds (Hankinson, Lisbon, Central Cass, Richland) can win it. Each team has it's strengths and weaknesses (alot of strengths, not many weaknesses!). I've seen Lisbon twice, Central Cass, Richland, and Hankinson three times. The one thing that truly separates them can be summed up in two words: Jamie Mauch. Very few players can dominate a game in any aspect, scoring, defense, rebounding, dictating the tempo; Mauch can. The impressive thing about Hankinson is that despite Mauch's dominance, they play a team game. All four of the top seeds are good enough that Region 1 is up for grabs, I just think Mauch is a special enough player that he'll be the difference somehow.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:40 pm

I agree that it will be a great regional tournament! Hankinson, Lisbon and Richland all were rated in the Top 10 most of the year (including at the end), with Central Cass only getting votes a couple of weeks and never making it onto the list. They've got something to prove! Good luck Squirrels! :D
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ginsbach » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:22 pm

ClassBEast wrote:Thought I'd start a new topic on Region 1 since the last one was locked. District 2 is done and District 1 finishes tonight. Here's how the region matchups look so far:

D2 #2 Richland vs. D1 #3 (North Sargent or Wyndmere)
D2 #4 Kindred vs. D1 #1 (Hankinson or Lisbon)

D2 #1 Central Cass vs. D1 #4 (North Sargent or Wyndmere or challenge game??)
D2 #3 Oak Grove vs. D1 #2 (Hankinson or Lisbon)

Games start next Monday at the Civic Center in Fargo.

There's no challenge game in District 1.
Ginsbach
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Well it is a mixed up region. Lisbon killed CC. Hankinson killed Lisbon. Lisbon and Richland were very close. Richland and Hankinson was close and the last Richland and CC was close. Could go any teams way. I will take Lisbon and Hankinson in championship with Hankinson by 6.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:00 pm

sportsmart wrote:Well it is a mixed up region. Lisbon killed CC. Hankinson killed Lisbon. Lisbon and Richland were very close. Richland and Hankinson was close and the last Richland and CC was close. Could go any teams way. I will take Lisbon and Hankinson in championship with Hankinson by 6.

Central Cass has beaten Richland twice and took Hankinson into overtime. They are hoping to get another shot at Lisbon, who will not beat them by 15 a second time. I guarentee it.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby number_one_fan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Whoa everyone don't get your undies in a bundle, Lisbon beat Hankinson tonight. Lisbon will be in the same bracket as Richland, and Hankinson will be in CC's.
number_one_fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Dareybuck » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:05 am

Allright everything is all set up for Region 1. sweetness, should be amazing to go see this all unfold
a great player can win a game but a TEAM can win EVERY game.
Dareybuck
NDPreps Starter

Postby greatness » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:59 am

this will be a really good tourney. But i think that if central cass really wants revenge against lisbon, they'll have to step up big and meet lisbon in the regional championship cause lisbon isn't going to lose to richland again. My guess is that the regional championship will be a rematch of the district 1 championship.
greatness

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:44 am

Wow, Lisbon is tough. I guess Central Cass will have to get by Hankinson first before they can play Lisbon. :wink: Assuming Monday's games go as expected (Richland, Lisbon, Central Cass, Hankinson), Tuesday night's semi-finals should be barn burners!

Here are the match-ups:

D2 #2 Richland vs. D1 #3 North Sargent
D2 #4 Kindred vs. D1 #1 Lisbon

D2 #1 Central Cass vs. D1 #4 Wyndmere
D2 #3 Oak Grove vs. D1 #2 Hankinson
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NSAlumni06 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:57 am

Watch out for North Sargent. I think they may have a run in them. The wild card for them is Greyson Shirrell. This kid can flat out shoot and handle the ball. He has been a little streaky as of late, but if he can really show up as he did in the middle of the year, they have a good chance of beating anyone.
/THREAD
NSAlumni06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mdk23 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:33 am

I was at the Lisbon, Hankinson game last night and I was really impressed with Lisbon. If they just play their game for 3 games, I can see them coming out of the region. Mauch didn't have the greatest game, and I didn't really see any other stand out athletes on Hankinson's team. Good role players, but they might need more to make a full run. I haven't seen Central Cass play this year, but from what I hear, they also have a legit chance to make the dance.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." Michael Jordan
mdk23
NDPreps Starter

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:00 pm

Is Hope Finley in this region? How did they do this season? Met Nick Nelson this summer with ECI and what a nice kid and a good player. How did he do?
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:55 pm

9manfootballmom wrote:Is Hope Finley in this region? How did they do this season? Met Nick Nelson this summer with ECI and what a nice kid and a good player. How did he do?

Finley Sharon Hope Page took 5th in District 2. They had already played Kindred (who took 4th), so there was no challenge game. It looks like they finished the year 12 - 9.

I think Nick Nelson is only a sophomore so he has a couple of good years left. He did make the all-district team and was the second-leading scorer for FSHP.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:33 pm

ClassBEast wrote:
9manfootballmom wrote:Is Hope Finley in this region? How did they do this season? Met Nick Nelson this summer with ECI and what a nice kid and a good player. How did he do?

Finley Sharon Hope Page took 5th in District 2. They had already played Kindred (who took 4th), so there was no challenge game. It looks like they finished the year 12 - 9.

I think Nick Nelson is only a sophomore so he has a couple of good years left. He did make the all-district team and was the second-leading scorer for FSHP.

Thanks for the info. I hope to see him again this summer if he and my son plays ECI again and are on the same team.
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gobison44 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:50 pm

I could see oak grove giving hankinson all they could handle on monday night. yes, i know, hankinson is much better and more talented, but coach carnal always has something up his sleave for tournament time
gobison44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsmart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Oak grove over Hankinson??? I don't think there is a chance of this happening.
Semis should be Lisbon vs Richland
and CC vs Hankinson.

If anyone has a chance at an upset I think it would be NS over Richland in the first round. I have seen NS a few times and they are not bad some just play out of control a little much.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Nodak Guy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm

North Sargent over Richland - Richland got them by four last time at Richland, but North Sargent has a couple of other weapons available this time.

Lisbon over Kindred - Lisbon is playing tough right now and are looking like the team to beat. Carlblom, Dykema, and Reinke will control the paint.

Central Cass over Wyndmere - Wyndmere had a good run, but won't be able to keep up with the Squirrels.

Oak Grove over Hankinson - Oak Grove is streaky, and Hankinson didn't impress at the district tournament. They need to play better than that to have a shot at reaching the semi's.

The games are at the Civic Center, which was the site of the District 2 Tournament just a few days ago. This might be a benefit to some.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby philshometown » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:and Hankinson didn't impress at the district tournament.

What District tournament are you referring to?

Hankinson won their first game

Hankinson 53, Lidgerwood 21

And their second game

Hankinson 71, Wyndmere 42\

(Which means they outscored their opponents 124 - 63)

Then they had one really bad game, poor shooting, free throws missed, and poor rebounding.

Win or lose, I do not look for them be having another game where they play that poorly at Regionals!
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSUrocks » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 pm

I don't believe that Hankison has a chance if Mauch is not on because the guard play isnt the greatest and they don't have any other true scorers except mauch. Also hankinson has no bench so some of the deeper teams like lisbon and central cass can tire them out more easily.
NDSUrocks

Postby NDSUrocks » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:North Sargent over Richland - Richland got them by four last time at Richland, but North Sargent has a couple of other weapons available this time.

Lisbon over Kindred - Lisbon is playing tough right now and are looking like the team to beat. Carlblom, Dykema, and Reinke will control the paint.

Central Cass over Wyndmere - Wyndmere had a good run, but won't be able to keep up with the Squirrels.

Oak Grove over Hankinson - Oak Grove is streaky, and Hankinson didn't impress at the district tournament. They need to play better than that to have a shot at reaching the semi's.

The games are at the Civic Center, which was the site of the District 2 Tournament just a few days ago. This might be a benefit to some.
I don't believe oak graove has a chance against hankinson period. Oak Grove has no scorers and they have no one that can guard mauch. I'm predicting a blow out by hankison
NDSUrocks

Next

Return to Boys