DP vs. H-N

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

DP vs. H-N

Postby whompa » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:28 am

what a surprise this game was! HN overcame their 3rd seed to beat the 10th ranked knights...
the lewy lee fieldhouse was crammed packed, what a crazy game..
any other feedback?
whompa
NDPreps Reserve

Re: DP vs. H-N

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:33 am

DP came out relaxed and played with sense of urgency. Northwood-Hatton came out like they had something to prove. Wallace and Nichols battled early, with Wallace gettin Nichols in a bit of foul trouble the first half. I think the biggest factor of this game was that the Thunder were able to shut down the outside shot of Frederick, I think he had one three and one lay up. He usually gets about 14 a game, but he was taken out of the game. Kueber and Nichols were in foul trouble for most of the second half, and both fouled out. Wallace didn't miss the 4th qaurter, I bet he had 10 or 12 points in the last 5 minutes. I still think DP is the better team, Northwood-Hatton just wanted it more tonight.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketball » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:38 am

I wasn't really suprised to see Hatton Northwood win. Those boys have heart and they wanted revenge. AND they just proved to everyone that they can win with players transferring. GOOD JOB AND GOOD LUCK IN REGIONS
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby whompa » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:41 am

pakkyzoo wrote:DP came out relaxed and played with sense of urgency. Northwood-Hatton came out like they had something to prove. Wallace and Nichols battled early, with Wallace gettin Nichols in a bit of foul trouble the first half. I think the biggest factor of this game was that the Thunder were able to shut down the outside shot of Frederick, I think he had one three and one lay up. He usually gets about 14 a game, but he was taken out of the game. Kueber and Nichols were in foul trouble for most of the second half, and both fouled out. Wallace didn't miss the 4th qaurter, I bet he had 10 or 12 points in the last 5 minutes. I still think DP is the better team, Northwood-Hatton just wanted it more tonight.

Who guarded frederick so good?
whompa
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:50 am

whompa wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:DP came out relaxed and played with sense of urgency. Northwood-Hatton came out like they had something to prove. Wallace and Nichols battled early, with Wallace gettin Nichols in a bit of foul trouble the first half. I think the biggest factor of this game was that the Thunder were able to shut down the outside shot of Frederick, I think he had one three and one lay up. He usually gets about 14 a game, but he was taken out of the game. Kueber and Nichols were in foul trouble for most of the second half, and both fouled out. Wallace didn't miss the 4th qaurter, I bet he had 10 or 12 points in the last 5 minutes. I still think DP is the better team, Northwood-Hatton just wanted it more tonight.

Who guarded frederick so good?

Well Frederick had 3 fouls in the first half, which helped take him out of the game. He sat half the the 3rd quarter, but when he was in it was Bilden or Huus. They never really have him a chance to set his feet or get comfortable...
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketball » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:52 am

For the past two years HN beat DP in the districts and they have done it by stopping some of DP's key players on defense.
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby gotmypopcorn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:33 am

DP played well tonight, they didn't shoot well. Brady Tweed had an excellent game for DP. I'm still at a loss as to why wallace never got in foul trouble the way he mauled Nichols and Kueber in the paint. Good for him to get away with it, he may not always be so lucky.
gotmypopcorn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby halibut » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:59 am

Wallace played tough, physical defense, which is his normal game. He got called for a few pretty cheap ones because the DP coaches were riding the refs hard about him 'playing too rough'. Wallace was fun to watch tonight and so was Strand. You could tell in the stands that those 2 really wanted it and were determined. Congratulations to the Thunder.
halibut
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:56 pm

There was ALOT of battling go on down low in the game. Wallace did play tough and was on Nichols and Kueber the whole time. Just because he plays tough stil doesnt mean that it wasnt a foul. They let mark puch around all he wanted down there and in my opinion they were a little more touching on the other end of the court. Once the fourth quarter started you could tell thyat H-N wanted it more that DP. congrats to H-N and to mark wallace, It would be fun to see these two teams play again ion the regional championship game. We will have to see when the time comes...
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby LG5 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:46 pm

It's crazy how Hatton-Northwood won like that with all the scouting report that DP had on them. How do you lose like that with 2 players that played there just last year??? Hatton-Northwood is obviously a much better team. It would be interesting to see how good Hatton-Northwood would be if Kueber was still there.
One man can't win a basketball game all my himself, but thats just because 4 other guys have to be on the court.
LG5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pakkyzoo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:57 pm

LG5 wrote:It's crazy how Hatton-Northwood won like that with all the scouting report that DP had on them. How do you lose like that with 2 players that played there just last year??? Hatton-Northwood is obviously a much better team. It would be interesting to see how good Hatton-Northwood would be if Kueber was still there.

A much better team?? I recall DP beating Hatton-Northwood by 10 points earlier in the year.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketball » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:12 pm

I also recall that HN was up pretty much the whole game and let it slip away at the end.
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby LG5 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:57 pm

I guess when it comes down to it, HN is #1 and DP is #2... but you guys are right, they did let that game slip away in the end.
One man can't win a basketball game all my himself, but thats just because 4 other guys have to be on the court.
LG5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby whompa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:00 pm

LG5 wrote:It's crazy how Hatton-Northwood won like that with all the scouting report that DP had on them. How do you lose like that with 2 players that played there just last year??? Hatton-Northwood is obviously a much better team. It would be interesting to see how good Hatton-Northwood would be if Kueber was still there.

Great point, hatton-northwood in my mind is the better team..Gus or Joe should've known what was coming as they ran the same plays as last year, nothing has changed, you think DP would've known everything about this team. Also, regarding you comment, there is no doubt in my mind that if HN had kueber and even lukens or prosser still...there is no doubt in my mind IMO that they would've gone to the state tournament and made some noise. They would be unbelievably good with all that lost talent to what they already have
whompa
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hp fan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:03 pm

whompa wrote:

Great point, hatton-northwood in my mind is the better team..Gus or Joe should've known what was coming as they ran the same plays as last year, nothing has changed, you think DP would've known everything about this team. Also, regarding you comment, there is no doubt in my mind that if HN had kueber and even lukens or prosser still...there is no doubt in my mind IMO that they would've gone to the state tournament and made some noise. They would be unbelievably good with all that lost talent to what they already have

Where did all these guys go?
hp fan

Postby whompa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:06 pm

hp fan wrote:
whompa wrote:

Where did all these guys go?

Kueber (6'7) & Lukens (6'6) went to Dakota Prairie, and Prosser (6'4) went to Larimore
whompa
NDPreps Reserve

Postby halibut » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Now that the season is over for the Thunder it is easy to sit and say "What if" but really guys, we'll never ever know. Hatton-Northwood had a great year under circumstances. Lost Prosser last spring because he didn't agree with Coach Konschak, so he got up and headed to Larimore to play under Jim Howson. Then all summer the Dakota Prairie boys chipped on Gus Kueber's shoulder and as soon as the tornado hit, Lukens and Kueber were enrolled in Dakota Prairie High School. This didn't seem like it had anything to do with basketball until the NDHSAA ruled that Gus would be ineligible for the transferring rules, but his parents said at that time, well we're moving into Aneta (which is in the Dakota Prairie school district) which then made him eligible to play for the Knights.
District 3 was fun to watch this year. Very competitive and each night, every team needed to show up or else they'd get beat. There was no true favorites. District tournament was as exciting as we all expected but regions was disappointing. Thompson had opportunites to win and just couldn't capitalize. I don't believe that District 4 is heads over District 3. Thompson should have won, Hatton-Northwood just had their worst performance of the year. I'd take Hatton-Northwood 7 times out of 10 over Park River. Dakota Prairie had a bad night vs. North Border because Kueber didn't play all that well. He had a hard time putting the ball in the whole on several possessions but it isn't just his fault. I think District 4 just came threw with all 4. Was it a fluke, no it wasn't. Congrats for them but don't say they were so much better.
Back to the Hatton-Northwood boys and ex-Hatton-Northwood boys. I wonder if they have any regrets after the year. Prosser left and did get his revenge when he played Hatton-Northwood this year by beating them twice but, also lost a trip to the regional tournament and the chance to elevate the District 3 championship trophy. I also wonder if Gus Kueber had any regrets. I think losing to Hatton-Northwood in the district championship took a direct shot to him. His teammates took home the hardware that night and really he had his choice of where to go and his other choice prevailed.
halibut
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys