WHO won't Flop to take a charge

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

WHO won't Flop to take a charge

Postby old lineman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Who will not do the thespian (for you that did not do your vocabulary words that means actor) flop to draw a charge. The nominations are:

Wisthoff of Glenburn
Eslinger of Underwood
Dale of MPCG
Hefta of Underwood
Sondrol of TLM
Feel free to add to the list of non flopperers. We know ther is more
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: WHO won't Flop to take a charge

Postby bluedevils_4 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 pm

flopping is part of the game. i am familliar with three of the players on your list and the reason they don't flop is they are scared to get a bruise on thier butt. almost everyone has some acting get back on your heels and fall down from as lil contact as possible. its smart basketball get a foul on the other teams good players
bluedevils_4
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Vlade Divac...
project-pat

Postby mdk23 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:25 pm

It's not a smart foul. Its what weak players who can't play defense do. Man up and play D the way it was meant to be played. As discussed in the earlier forum, it's a technical foul for flopping and its not called. It should be called every time. Maybe then coaches would teach some real defense. Seriously, is there a college recruiter thats gonna look at a kid and say, "well we know he can flop, that will help our team" HECK NO! Grow up and play some D. Get physical the way basketball is meant to be physical. FLOPPING IS A CHEAP TACTIC DONE BY CHEAP PLAYERS. Thats IT.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." Michael Jordan
mdk23
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thunder66 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:29 pm

I preferred to draw the charge and put HIM on the floor. Only pulled it off 3-4 times but that's a great feeling on the basketball court
Thunder66

Postby old lineman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Blue deveil tell me the time and place that the 3 have been on there a__ and I would give that one, in recent history it has not happened. Play D don't Flop
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 9manfootballmom » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:27 pm

old lineman wrote:Blue deveil tell me the time and place that the 3 have been on there a__ and I would give that one, in recent history it has not happened. Play D don't Flop

That's right Old man...big boys don't flop, and from that list i don't know any that would fear the fall. Most are linemen themselves. No Fear...play hard...play D if you want to act...try out for the school play.
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NC_408 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:11 pm

mdk23 wrote:It's not a smart foul. Its what weak players who can't play defense do. Man up and play D the way it was meant to be played. As discussed in the earlier forum, it's a technical foul for flopping and its not called. It should be called every time. Maybe then coaches would teach some real defense. Seriously, is there a college recruiter thats gonna look at a kid and say, "well we know he can flop, that will help our team" HECK NO! Grow up and play some D. Get physical the way basketball is meant to be physical. FLOPPING IS A CHEAP TACTIC DONE BY CHEAP PLAYERS. Thats IT.

Well put i agree
NC_408
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:14 pm

mdk23 wrote:It's not a smart foul. Its what weak players who can't play defense do. Man up and play D the way it was meant to be played. As discussed in the earlier forum, it's a technical foul for flopping and its not called. It should be called every time. Maybe then coaches would teach some real defense. Seriously, is there a college recruiter thats gonna look at a kid and say, "well we know he can flop, that will help our team" HECK NO! Grow up and play some D. Get physical the way basketball is meant to be physical. FLOPPING IS A CHEAP TACTIC DONE BY CHEAP PLAYERS. Thats IT.

"well we know the kid can get a charge called on the other team to get a player in foul trouble, that will help our team" HECK YES!
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bluedevils_4 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:16 pm

i have been taught by very good coaches to "flop" its basically how you are taught to take a charge get back on our heels so a two year old could knock you over. i think its rediculous to call it bad basketball. why not take advantage of something available to you, to help your team. its part of the game and its not goin to change. if you say "flopping" is cheap i can bet you think jumping into a person and creating contact around the rim is also cheap. it is the same kind of thing yet everyone does it. its part of the game and always will be
bluedevils_4
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:18 pm

I don't think I've been to a game yet where a kid has been given a technical foul for a flop.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby mdk23 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:38 pm

I have been around quite a few coaches and I have yet to see one that teaches flopping. All the coaches I have encountered have taught to get to the spot, get planted, and take the contact to get the charge. Also, I am sick of seeing offensive players jump into the defense under the basket and the defensive player gets the foul. Thats and offensive foul and is rarely called correctly. The defensive player has as much right to jump as the offensive player. The question to consider is, who makes the contact happen?
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." Michael Jordan
mdk23
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:39 pm

I think some people need the realize what a flop is. A flop would be when a def player anticipates contact coming from an off. player, but falls back before any contact is ever made. That is a flop. If a def player is taught the correct way to take a charge by putting your weight on your heels, then when contact is actually made gets knocked over from the other players momentum, it is not a flop. You do not have to get drilled by the offensive player to be called a player control foul. You do not even have to be knocked over for a player control fall either. If you have the position, stand your ground, get hit, and fall down because of it (even tho if you were on your toes and leaned forward you probably wouldn't have fallen) it is a charge.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:56 pm

mdk23 wrote:I have been around quite a few coaches and I have yet to see one that teaches flopping. All the coaches I have encountered have taught to get to the spot, get planted, and take the contact to get the charge. Also, I am sick of seeing offensive players jump into the defense under the basket and the defensive player gets the foul. Thats and offensive foul and is rarely called correctly. The defensive player has as much right to jump as the offensive player. The question to consider is, who makes the contact happen?

so the pump fake to get the defender in the air and then jump into him should be an offensive foul? then why use a pump fake? the thing about under the hoop when the offensive player jumps into him, how many times is the defender jumping straight up with the hands 100% vertical. they are always jumping foward a little bit, which is why its a defensive foul. if they were exactly vertical it would be an offensive foul....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby jr83h » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:48 pm

why should a defender have to fall over to take a charge..i think its poor that a defender needs to hit his but to draw a charge. for one, if the ref has a no call, there the defender is out of position and now gives an offensive rebound and a layup, someone wrote to have defense put weight on your heels, i was never in my life taught that, your just looking to get burnt. if an defensive player beats an o player to the spot either no call or a charge.
jr83h
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old lineman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Why should a defender have to fall over to take a charge. That is the best way it has been put, thankyou.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:51 pm

No one has ever been taught to play defense on their heels. If you slide over on help and you anticipate the offensive player running you over, then you get set and get your weight on your heels. Very easy to get a charge.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old lineman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:16 pm

EDIT
They called more charging calls then I have ever seen. The two will turn the game of basketball into a game of horse. If you post up in Dist. 10 and someone decides to join the screen writers guild it is a foul. Do the players a favor an call it right. It dones no one any good to call something totally differtent than any other region. As we see in the posts on this sight. When someone goes from the flopping dist to the regionals or State they won't get that call. Look at the other posts, no one paints up, what has happened to class b basketball. This is out of hand. No one has ever been taught to play D on their heels. Maybe it is an adrenline rush to put your hand behind your neck, thrust your fist 2 the air to show your effection for the art.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys