Who is responsible for keeping scores close?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Who is responsible for keeping scores close?

Postby biggest ticket » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:55 pm

HometownHigh wrote:I disagree - I think kids are exposed to plenty of disappointment.
I would say I don't think this generation wants to work as hard as others before them, they want instant gratification, maybe aren't putting the time in, and therefore, disappointment follows. Reflective in the small number of athletes in programs, unless you have a co-op and can pull some from 2-3-4 towns, and represent well.
Running up the score - well, what about this? First round of Districts, the 1st team playing the 8th seed. Play your starters for a quarter or two, and then how about some floor time for your bench, so that when you get into foul trouble later in the tournament, the playing floor is not virgin territory to all but 5 of your your men (or ladies)? Might be beneficial for all!

Your joking right.

Were all entitled to opinions and sadly this opinion right here has made its way to the powers that be. Its why this subject is even an issue today. Also sadly this is a social flaw that goes far further than hs basketball games much farther.

You know if the Wrestling coach who posted on here could only become the president of the USA. Maybe we would all get some pride back. Look in the mirror and feel good about ourselves again. Did you know that when mommies and daddies fight all these battles for kids that they actually become less self sufficient and 100 times more likely to struggle with battles of depression and self worth.

Did you know that years of butt whoopings really makes you appreciate success when it does come and it will if you get off that couch and put down your xbox pads call your buddies and go play ball.

I love going to a basketball game. Paying 6 bucks already to watch the starters for 2.5 quarters. Kids that love the game and play the game in spare time. I mean work at it learned how to play it correctly.. Then to have to watch kids for 1.5 quarters who dont even want those minutes but get them because of parents. Most were forced to play by their parents and never will touch a ball in the off season. Yeah lifes fair. Give everyone of them a participation ribbon, extend your awards ceremonies to all tourney all district all region all regional tourney. Yeah lets make sure every kid in the state gets an award. Yeah lets take the value out of awards already.

We all need to read the wrestling coach post and realize if you dont agree with him. Your the whoosy he is talking about. Your the problem not the solution. If we could do that we would actually take some strides to improving much more than just hs basketball.
biggest ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby usedtowearajock » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Went to far with that one.
usedtowearajock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby biggest ticket » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:41 pm

The truth can be painful.
biggest ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:02 pm

I think one has to look at the circumstances of the game...district time you play hard..you don't play your bench..that will only come back to bite you the next game...regular season, yeah you could play your bench more in blowout games...If you look at NCAA tournament at the opening games you will find blowouts between 1 seeds vs 16th seed...no different in highs school tournament time...also one has to realize that there is this moto "what goes around, comes around." When we see a major blowout many of us forget what happened last year or in previous years.For example this year the Native boys JV took flasher out to the woodshed...I made a comment maybe it was in retaliation for the 90 point drubbing the flasher girls put on them a few years back....one would hope coaches do take in consideration the circumstances during games played in the regular season and play with integrity...although sometimes they do and the score will still be 30 points difference.
bigpoppakdog

Postby triplebbb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:13 pm

Here's a situation. District 15 boys tourney. Region qualifier. Mandaree vs. Stanley (2-18).
Mandaree played their best player, a senior, the whole game. He missed 3 dunks and they ran up and down the floor. Other starters out with 5 min left. Game is something like 90-40. Mandaree gets to 97pts and Stanley pulls the ball out. Mandaree FOULS to get the ball back to score 100pts. I have coached for 22 years and never seen anything like it. Classless at best. They still have a REGIONAL GAME to play next week. What if a Stanley kid took exception and took out the Mandaree star? What a pathetic show of coaching, playing, and support from their crowd. Thank you for letting me rant...it's been bothering me all day!!
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:46 pm

triplebbb wrote:Here's a situation. District 15 boys tourney. Region qualifier. Mandaree vs. Stanley (2-18).
Mandaree played their best player, a senior, the whole game. He missed 3 dunks and they ran up and down the floor. Other starters out with 5 min left. Game is something like 90-40. Mandaree gets to 97pts and Stanley pulls the ball out. Mandaree FOULS to get the ball back to score 100pts. I have coached for 22 years and never seen anything like it. Classless at best. They still have a REGIONAL GAME to play next week. What if a Stanley kid took exception and took out the Mandaree star? What a pathetic show of coaching, playing, and support from their crowd. Thank you for letting me rant...it's been bothering me all day!!

I agree 100%. I was at the game too, and it was ridiculous.
ndbfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:48 pm

ndbfan wrote:
triplebbb wrote:Here's a situation. District 15 boys tourney. Region qualifier. Mandaree vs. Stanley (2-18).

wow i would be embarrased if that was my team.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 pm

That's disgusting. There's no excuse for that.....
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:55 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:I think one has to look at the circumstances of the game...district time you play hard..you don't play your bench..that will only come back to bite you the next game...regular season, yeah you could play your bench more in blowout games...If you look at NCAA tournament at the opening games you will find blowouts between 1 seeds vs 16th seed...no different in highs school tournament time...also one has to realize that there is this moto "what goes around, comes around." When we see a major blowout many of us forget what happened last year or in previous years.For example this year the Native boys JV took flasher out to the woodshed...I made a comment maybe it was in retaliation for the 90 point drubbing the flasher girls put on them a few years back....one would hope coaches do take in consideration the circumstances during games played in the regular season and play with integrity...although sometimes they do and the score will still be 30 points difference.

i can say from first hand experience that a coach can hold a grudge against a team who blew the out in the past. a few years later the teams switched and they were much worse. at the practice before the game he said he was sorry for the bench players because he wasnt going to sub and said to not let up...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby oneshot » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:58 pm

I just became a Divide County fan...that's un-excusable.
oneshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:10 pm

of course Stanley has never pounded Mandaree in the past???????? I can remember when i coached at New town...took a junior high girls team to stanley after the game was over we came out of the gym with the bus door window smashed in...was my first year there....the next year I took a JH team up there we beat them by 30....a good example of things that happen behind the scenes...granted it was on the lower level, but goes to show you how the moto "what goes around comes around" will always come back..did I feel sorry...nope..I got my payback by coaching my players to the best of their ability...played a clean game, ended up on the victorious end by a substantial amount....I think a great lesson for my girls at the time...handle the situation on the court, clean, instead of paybacks by smashing in their windows....mandaree has been on the bottom end vs stanley in sports a heck of a lot more than stanley has been...when these successful schools have some dry years they often do not know how to react...then start crying about things that they were doing for years....
bigpoppakdog

Postby BBall dominator » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:28 pm

baseball wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:I think one has to look at the circumstances of the game...district time you play hard..you don't play your bench..that will only come back to bite you the next game...regular season, yeah you could play your bench more in blowout games...If you look at NCAA tournament at the opening games you will find blowouts between 1 seeds vs 16th seed...no different in highs school tournament time...also one has to realize that there is this moto "what goes around, comes around." When we see a major blowout many of us forget what happened last year or in previous years.For example this year the Native boys JV took flasher out to the woodshed...I made a comment maybe it was in retaliation for the 90 point drubbing the flasher girls put on them a few years back....one would hope coaches do take in consideration the circumstances during games played in the regular season and play with integrity...although sometimes they do and the score will still be 30 points difference.

i can say from first hand experience that a coach can hold a grudge against a team who blew the out in the past. a few years later the teams switched and they were much worse. at the practice before the game he said he was sorry for the bench players because he wasnt going to sub and said to not let up...

Agree'd I played under a coach who I feel is one of the best multiple state tournament trips and a solid team every year. The opposing coach had a good team one year probably his 1st and last good team, He poured it on because I'm guessing as a mediocre team at best year in and year out he wanted to get his punches, I was in Jr. High when this happened. When i made the varsity team every single year this game was intense and the team wasn't even that good when i was in HS. We never embarassed them by 50 pts. or even over 30 I never understood it and i personally still don't but we were never allowed to let up until the 4th when he threw in the JV to run a stall.
Last edited by BBall dominator on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:28 pm

the steele girls are like that too. they had about a 10 year span where they were basically in the gutter and even a few winless seasons in there i think. but now that they have success and beat teams that pounded them, they are poor sports and Sand is then labeled as a coach who supposedly runs up the score on everyone....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Region 8 Fan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:30 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
ndbfan wrote:

Mandaree's star player was in the game to help out the other 4 younger players (2 of which were 8th graders) - not to run up his own stats . His only shot was a failed dunk ! He would grab the rebounds and kick it out to the younger kids and set screens so they could shoot . Mandaree probably shouldnt have fouled with 4 seconds left but one of the reserves made the foul . I felt there was nothing wrong with the coach's decision.
Region 8 Fan

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:44 pm

heres a big question about whether it was wrong or not....was it intentionally done to get the ball back or was it going for a block on a shot??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby triplebbb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:09 am

They chased the Stanley kid at the half line to foul. The coach was yelling at them to foul. Point 2...the Mandaree coach is a first year coach. Does he talk to everyone who coached before to know that Stanley used to be good and if they get the chance to stick it to them? There is no scenario where what they did was appropriate. Stanley's boys have been to state exactly once...in 1939. Mandaree has been tough going to state with the Bearstail's a few times. Don't tell me Stanley has treated them badly.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flyer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:58 am

Region 8 Fan wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:
ndbfan wrote:

Mandaree's star player was in the game to help out the other 4 younger players (2 of which were 8th graders) - not to run up his own stats . His only shot was a failed dunk ! He would grab the rebounds and kick it out to the younger kids and set screens so they could shoot . Mandaree probably shouldnt have fouled with 4 seconds left but one of the reserves made the foul . I felt there was nothing wrong with the coach's decision.

A quote before stated he missed three dunks? Plus they shot about 5 - 7 Three's--CLASSLESS AT BEST
Flyer

Postby triplebbb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:18 am

Mandaree's star player scored 41 pts in the game. Helping the JV kids because they had 2 8th graders...what a joke. Stanley had all of their JV's in and if their varsity is 2-18 you know their JV's aren't very good. I can't believe that there are people that find excuses for this kind of game. I have coached in 8 state tourneys... class B boys(2), class B girls(3), and class A girls(3). To justify a game like this using some Junior High analogies is a complete embarassment to the sport.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:36 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:of course Stanley has never pounded Mandaree in the past???????? I can remember when i coached at New town...took a junior high girls team to stanley after the game was over we came out of the gym with the bus door window smashed in...was my first year there....the next year I took a JH team up there we beat them by 30....a good example of things that happen behind the scenes...granted it was on the lower level, but goes to show you how the moto "what goes around comes around" will always come back..did I feel sorry...nope..I got my payback by coaching my players to the best of their ability...played a clean game, ended up on the victorious end by a substantial amount....I think a great lesson for my girls at the time...handle the situation on the court, clean, instead of paybacks by smashing in their windows....mandaree has been on the bottom end vs stanley in sports a heck of a lot more than stanley has been...when these successful schools have some dry years they often do not know how to react...then start crying about things that they were doing for years....

What did a smashed window have to do with the junior high girls game played inside the gym? So you take revenge on the junior high girls team for the actions of one idiot - probably a high school boy? I don't see how beating the junior high girls team by 30 taught the idiot who smashed the window any lessons.

Earlier you stated that you don't play your bench in the district - it will bite you in the next game. Huh? I'd say that in the District, when games are on back-to-back-to-back nights, that if you get a blowout and get a chance to rest your starters, you jump at the chance!

Poppa, I respect your right to express your opinions, I just very much disagree with some of your philosophies on coaching. And that's OK - it makes for interesting discourse.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby magichoops » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 pm

I am sorry, but what Minot Ryan did to OR was really classless. 80-17! I understand having your kids get after it in the post-season, but coming out and pressing in the third quarter and into the fourth against a team that has won 2 games this year, give me a break. Playing your starters into the fourth quarter of a blow out! Classless! If your subs come in and play solid half court defense and the score gets run-up so be it, but pressing with your starters when your up 40. Classless! Blow outs happen, but we are not talking about 20, 30, or even 50 points here. 63 points is beyond a blow out and should never happen. Minot Ryan fans always wonder why people don't like them....it's displays of poor character like this. They have great kids this year, nice kids, but I have lost a lot of respect for that coaching staff.
magichoops

Postby forloveofthegame » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:49 pm

Hate on Ryan all you want. People do not hate them for things like this. People hate them because they are GOOD enough to beat people like this. You do not play your subs the entire second half when you know that tomorrow you will be playing a team that you narrowly squeezed past in the regular season. You play your starters, you run your press because this is tournament time. OR couldn't make a basket, their fault. Not Ryans. The lead score from a starter was 15. Not 50. This is Varsity basketball. If you feel so bad for OR, send them flowers.
forloveofthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:59 pm

My examples were to point out that Mandaree and New Town are on their own and are very fierce rivals with Stanley, Watford etc...and that things like getting door windows smashed by Stanley is not news worthy, but when a Native teams is suspected then its front page news(Beulah and the Dairy Queen incident-that was from my understanding never confirmed that they actually had done what was reported all over the state by news media). I guess coaching players to the best of their ability and breaking no rules(winning by 30 breaks no rules) is worse than having them break windows in retaliation? I've lived at New Town, coached players that played at mandaree also, and am NOT native american and have seen classless acts by both sides...only thing is you don't hear about it when the non-native schools do it....remember, these schools don't just play basketball against each other either, there are other sports that incidents can happen that carry over into other sports....I want you all to remember when Flasher Girls beat Solen girls something like 113 to 17 a few years ago.....keeping starters in and pressing late into the game......bet you didn't even hear about that game...which probably was the worst margin of victory in any game ever.....but if it were reversed that would have probably made front page news in all the papers in ND.....so feel sorry for stanley...nope..why because when they can I'm sure they'll get theirs...again what goes around comes around.....I'll attack those who will then complain about stanley being classless by running up the score....
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:01 pm

Hinsa wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:of course Stanley has never pounded Mandaree in the past???????? I can remember when i coached at New town...took a junior high girls team to stanley after the game was over we came out of the gym with the bus door window smashed in...was my first year there....the next year I took a JH team up there we beat them by 30....a good example of things that happen behind the scenes...granted it was on the lower level, but goes to show you how the moto "what goes around comes around" will always come back..did I feel sorry...nope..I got my payback by coaching my players to the best of their ability...played a clean game, ended up on the victorious end by a substantial amount....I think a great lesson for my girls at the time...handle the situation on the court, clean, instead of paybacks by smashing in their windows....mandaree has been on the bottom end vs stanley in sports a heck of a lot more than stanley has been...when these successful schools have some dry years they often do not know how to react...then start crying about things that they were doing for years....

What did a smashed window have to do with the junior high girls game played inside the gym? So you take revenge on the junior high girls team for the actions of one idiot - probably a high school boy? I don't see how beating the junior high girls team by 30 taught the idiot who smashed the window any lessons.

Earlier you stated that you don't play your bench in the district - it will bite you in the next game. Huh? I'd say that in the District, when games are on back-to-back-to-back nights, that if you get a blowout and get a chance to rest your starters, you jump at the chance!

Poppa, I respect your right to express your opinions, I just very much disagree with some of your philosophies on coaching. And that's OK - it makes for interesting discourse.

not playing your starters in the opening round of districts after a week layoff and then expecting them to turn it on the next game is foolish...you get the blowout by playing your starters not your bench....yes, take advantage if its a blowout, but my guess that will take a few quarters....
bigpoppakdog

Postby Sioux » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:My examples were to point out that Mandaree and New Town are on their own and are very fierce rivals with Stanley, Watford etc...and that things like getting door windows smashed by Stanley is not news worthy, but when a Native teams is suspected then its front page news(Beulah and the Dairy Queen incident-that was from my understanding never confirmed that they actually had done what was reported all over the state by news media). I guess coaching players to the best of their ability and breaking no rules(winning by 30 breaks no rules) is worse than having them break windows in retaliation? I've lived at New Town, coached players that played at mandaree also, and am NOT native american and have seen classless acts by both sides...only thing is you don't hear about it when the non-native schools do it....remember, these schools don't just play basketball against each other either, there are other sports that incidents can happen that carry over into other sports....I want you all to remember when Flasher Girls beat Solen girls something like 113 to 17 a few years ago.....keeping starters in and pressing late into the game......bet you didn't even hear about that game...which probably was the worst margin of victory in any game ever.....but if it were reversed that would have probably made front page news in all the papers in ND.....so feel sorry for stanley...nope..why because when they can I'm sure they'll get theirs...again what goes around comes around.....I'll attack those who will then complain about stanley being classless by running up the score....

Now this is getting rediculous..I hope you know exactly what they did do the Dairy Queen..I remember when a WHITE school Grafton damaged the hotel room down at a baseball tourney that got into the news. Have we not talked on here about Ryan giving it to another school they are not only WHITE but Catholics :) WOW..enough of the white, native, african stuff..Look at the game and how it was coached and played..Ryan pressing until the fourth..NOT cool. What Mandaree did also bad..My opinion.
Sioux

Postby ndsportsfan00 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:22 pm

magichoops wrote:I am sorry, but what Minot Ryan did to OR was really classless. 80-17! I understand having your kids get after it in the post-season, but coming out and pressing in the third quarter and into the fourth against a team that has won 2 games this year, give me a break. Playing your starters into the fourth quarter of a blow out! Classless! If your subs come in and play solid half court defense and the score gets run-up so be it, but pressing with your starters when your up 40. Classless! Blow outs happen, but we are not talking about 20, 30, or even 50 points here. 63 points is beyond a blow out and should never happen. Minot Ryan fans always wonder why people don't like them....it's displays of poor character like this. They have great kids this year, nice kids, but I have lost a lot of respect for that coaching staff.

In the regular season I would think you have a point, but this is tournament time. Other schools will always dislike the teams that seem to beat them year after year. Minot players and fans understand and expect this. I don't think Ryan should have to play down to a team that is having a bad year just so other schools "like" them.
Again this is up for interpretation, but I say, at tournament time you give 100%-NO EXCEPTIONS!

Show me a successful coach (has had at least one State tournament appearance) that disagrees with me.
ndsportsfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Boys