Who is responsible for keeping scores close?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Who is responsible for keeping scores close?

Postby Sioux » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:27 pm

ndsportsfan00 wrote:
magichoops wrote:I am sorry, but what Minot Ryan did to OR was really classless. 80-17! I understand having your kids get after it in the post-season, but coming out and pressing in the third quarter and into the fourth against a team that has won 2 games this year, give me a break. Playing your starters into the fourth quarter of a blow out! Classless! If your subs come in and play solid half court defense and the score gets run-up so be it, but pressing with your starters when your up 40. Classless! Blow outs happen, but we are not talking about 20, 30, or even 50 points here. 63 points is beyond a blow out and should never happen. Minot Ryan fans always wonder why people don't like them....it's displays of poor character like this. They have great kids this year, nice kids, but I have lost a lot of respect for that coaching staff.

In the regular season I would think you have a point, but this is tournament time. Other schools will always dislike the teams that seem to beat them year after year. Minot players and fans understand and expect this. I don't think Ryan should have to play down to a team that is having a bad year just so other schools "like" them.
Again this is up for interpretation, but I say, at tournament time you give 100%-NO EXCEPTIONS!

Show me a successful coach (has had at least one State tournament appearance) that disagrees with me.

I agree with you to a point, however..How about giving some of your bench some experience for next year?
Sioux

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:30 pm

I DISAGREE!

When we had teams beat in the tournaments, I sent in the subs to rest my starters for the next night. And also as an act of sportsmanship. I knew all the coaches in my district and region and had respect for them, so when the game was in hand, I called off the dogs. I would do that for any team I played against in the regular season, tournaments, whatever.

And yes, I was a coach, and yes, I had teams take me to 2 state tournaments and we even won a championship while still respecting our opposition.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsportsfan00 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:39 pm

Hinsa-

I respect your opinion. I am surprised you think that there are exceptions to giving 100% at tournament time. I guess that is the difference between you and I.
ndsportsfan00

Postby ndsportsfan00 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:41 pm

Sioux wrote:
ndsportsfan00 wrote:
magichoops wrote:I am sorry, but what Minot Ryan did to OR was really classless. 80-17! I understand having your kids get after it in the post-season, but coming out and pressing in the third quarter and into the fourth against a team that has won 2 games this year, give me a break. Playing your starters into the fourth quarter of a blow out! Classless! If your subs come in and play solid half court defense and the score gets run-up so be it, but pressing with your starters when your up 40. Classless! Blow outs happen, but we are not talking about 20, 30, or even 50 points here. 63 points is beyond a blow out and should never happen. Minot Ryan fans always wonder why people don't like them....it's displays of poor character like this. They have great kids this year, nice kids, but I have lost a lot of respect for that coaching staff.

In the regular season I would think you have a point, but this is tournament time. Other schools will always dislike the teams that seem to beat them year after year. Minot players and fans understand and expect this. I don't think Ryan should have to play down to a team that is having a bad year just so other schools "like" them.
Again this is up for interpretation, but I say, at tournament time you give 100%-NO EXCEPTIONS!

Show me a successful coach (has had at least one State tournament appearance) that disagrees with me.

I agree with you to a point, however..How about giving some of your bench some experience for next year?

Ryans entire bench played in the fourth quarter of this game, so they did get experience for next year.
ndsportsfan00

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:44 pm

I respect your opinion as well, ndsportsfan00, just don't agree with it completely.

Trust me, I expected whoever was on the floor for us to give 100% - starters, subs, whoever. But I did sub when we had a comfortable lead and we did call off the press and just play solid half court D.

It's OK to disagree. I just firmly believe in sportsmanship, no matter what the situation.

That's not to say that I have never gotten upset - I've got an awful temper when my sense of right and wrong has been violated - but when I cool down I still believe sportsmanship is very important. Not everyone interprets sporstmanship the same way.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sioux » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:45 pm

ndsportsfan00 wrote:Hinsa-

I respect your opinion. I am surprised you think that there are exceptions to giving 100% at tournament time. I guess that is the difference between you and I.

Not to speak for Hinsa, but doesn't every coach expect his players to play 100% when they are on the floor? The exception is the fact that your starters don't have to play the whole game. I don't feel there is anybody on here who would tell their players to not give 100% when they are on the floor? If so that's a disgrace to the game.
Sioux

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:52 pm

someone said it awhile ago in a different topic and i agree with it....they said that if they were a bad team they would feel even worse and take it as more of a slap in the face if they winning team didnt play 100% at the end of the game no matter what the score was
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:56 pm

I have coached kids who have stated basically that. I have tried to sub in kids in close games who have said they would rather win than play. Kids know whats up.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Sioux wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:My examples were to point out that Mandaree and New Town are on their own and are very fierce rivals with Stanley, Watford etc...and that things like getting door windows smashed by Stanley is not news worthy, but when a Native teams is suspected then its front page news(Beulah and the Dairy Queen incident-that was from my understanding never confirmed that they actually had done what was reported all over the state by news media). I guess coaching players to the best of their ability and breaking no rules(winning by 30 breaks no rules) is worse than having them break windows in retaliation? I've lived at New Town, coached players that played at mandaree also, and am NOT native american and have seen classless acts by both sides...only thing is you don't hear about it when the non-native schools do it....remember, these schools don't just play basketball against each other either, there are other sports that incidents can happen that carry over into other sports....I want you all to remember when Flasher Girls beat Solen girls something like 113 to 17 a few years ago.....keeping starters in and pressing late into the game......bet you didn't even hear about that game...which probably was the worst margin of victory in any game ever.....but if it were reversed that would have probably made front page news in all the papers in ND.....so feel sorry for stanley...nope..why because when they can I'm sure they'll get theirs...again what goes around comes around.....I'll attack those who will then complain about stanley being classless by running up the score....

Now this is getting rediculous..I hope you know exactly what they did do the Dairy Queen..I remember when a WHITE school Grafton damaged the hotel room down at a baseball tourney that got into the news. Have we not talked on here about Ryan giving it to another school they are not only WHITE but Catholics :) WOW..enough of the white, native, african stuff..Look at the game and how it was coached and played..Ryan pressing until the fourth..NOT cool. What Mandaree did also bad..My opinion.

Haven't heard the allegations that appeared in the paper were confirmed....????? I have no comment on Minot Ryan vs our redeemers....curious to see if anyone makes a comment about Flasher 113 Solen 17 (not exactly sure what the score was but this is pretty close)
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:04 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:I have coached kids who have stated basically that. I have tried to sub in kids in close games who have said they would rather win than play. Kids know whats up.

plus...and how do you expect "the subs" to get in the rotation if they just go out dont try the last 4minutes of a game. you get in the rotation by playing hard and playing well. unless your wanna be a "sub" your whole career you go out and give 100% whether your up 40 or down 40...it all pays off in the end
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Someone tell me if this is true: Solen only had four girls on the court at times and some of them sat down on the floor? My wife actually told me that a friend e-mailed that to her just after the game. She is fairly certain that this is the game mentioned.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:15 pm

OK Poppa, I'll respond. If Flasher really did press into the 4th quarter and kept their starters in, that's ridiculous too. Red, yellow, black, white, I don't care who it is - if you are pressing when you're up by 80 or so, and I was your AD, you'd be reprimanded if not fired the next day.

I've been on both sides of the lopsided scores. I remember one time being down 40 in a varsity game and there was less than 2 minutes left and the other team was still pressing with their starters. I was tempted to take a time out and tell my players to just throw the ball to the other team on the inbounds pass so they could shoot a bunch more layups so they could run up the score some more. I didn't do it, but sometimes I wish I had.

I heard that someone actually did that somewhere and got a T slapped on them for making a travesty of the game. What's more of a travesty, pressing with your starters when you're up 40 with 2 minutes left in the game or giving the other team the ball so they can run up the score if they want to do that so bad?
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Someone tell me if this is true: Solen only had four girls on the court at times and some of them sat down on the floor? My wife actually told me that a friend e-mailed that to her just after the game. She is fairly certain that this is the game mentioned.

was this varsity basketball on the high school level or a traveling team in 3rd grade? sat down on the floor.....i now feel no pity for a 100 pt loss if that is true
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys