DP vs. Thompson

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

DP vs. Thompson

Postby Tommy Callahan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:25 am

Who is going to take this game? If DP wins out they are number 1, but if Thompson wins out they are number 1.
Tommy Callahan

Re: DP vs. Thompson

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:32 am

I think Dakota Prairie will come away with a 10+ point win in this game. I know Thompson has been on a roll lately and even got some recognition in the poll receiving votes. I just don't think they match-up very well with the Knights. Thompson will play them tough I just don't think they'll have enough to come away with a win.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby automatic99 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:36 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I think Dakota Prairie will come away with a 10+ point win in this game. I know Thompson has been on a roll lately and even got some recognition in the poll receiving votes. I just don't think they match-up very well with the Knights. Thompson will play them tough I just don't think they'll have enough to come away with a win.

I agree. I think it could be a great game though. Thompson is finding ways to win. Nothing flashy, just good team basketball.
automatic99
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:37 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I think Dakota Prairie will come away with a 10+ point win in this game. I know Thompson has been on a roll lately and even got some recognition in the poll receiving votes. I just don't think they match-up very well with the Knights. Thompson will play them tough I just don't think they'll have enough to come away with a win.

One factor is that the game is in Thompson and it is a Saturday game. DP has struggled to pick up a win in Thompson in the past. This season is hopefully different. Kueber and Nichols have to score big, and Frederick has to keep giving his 15+ to win. Thompson will pressure the ball and use a lot of trapping defenses. Should be fun game to see, I think it will be 68 to 59 DP wining.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby playa10 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:04 pm

It will certainly be an interesting game that's for sure, one I wish I could go and watch. I have seen and heard that DP doesn't play a lot of defense, and the Tommies can get up and down the court and score in a hurry some nights. Also, they are pretty good at moving the ball around in a zone with Morgan, Zak, and Syrstad anchoring the middle. DP does have a lot of great athletes and size though, so it will be fun to watch. I haven't heard much about DP's ball handlers though...will they be able to break the pressure that Thompson puts on them. Someone told me they saw 5 or 6 different full court presses thrown on in one game. Just some thoughts, any other input?
playa10

Postby nc » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:23 pm

dps point guard severson is a pretty good ball handler. When they played 4winds he handled the press really well (even though they lost by 20) Dp just cleared out and let seveson do the rest. But if thompson presses and everyone knows they will severson wont be able to do it all game. Dp better be preparing for this game, its a big one.
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:52 pm

playa10 wrote:It will certainly be an interesting game that's for sure, one I wish I could go and watch. I have seen and heard that DP doesn't play a lot of defense, and the Tommies can get up and down the court and score in a hurry some nights. Also, they are pretty good at moving the ball around in a zone with Morgan, Zak, and Syrstad anchoring the middle. DP does have a lot of great athletes and size though, so it will be fun to watch. I haven't heard much about DP's ball handlers though...will they be able to break the pressure that Thompson puts on them. Someone told me they saw 5 or 6 different full court presses thrown on in one game. Just some thoughts, any other input?

Dakota Prairie is best when they get out and score in transition. Teams have been able to keep the score down on them and make it a tough game, like Hillsboro, when they slow it down and limit posessions. Both Kueber and Nichols run the floor extremely well for 6'5'' and 6'6'' post players. DP's ball handler is Ross Severson, an all district player last year.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:14 am

I would doubt that Thompson will press DP with a straight up man press. They like to play the 1-2-1-1 and trap the corners. I don't think the Tommies press will be as effective against DP - not because Syverson is so good with the ball but because Kueber and Nichols are going to be able to catch and pass over the traps.

That being said, I still think Thompson will outwork DP and come away with the win.

Should be a barn burner.....
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Luke_J32 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Should be a great game Thompson's speed vs Dakota Prairie height and shooters. The key in this game is how Dakota Prairie handles the press if they stick to what there coach tells them then they will come out with a win in my mind but it's going to be close probably coming down to who has the better 4th quarter.
Luke_J32

Postby Luke_J32 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:57 pm

The game starts with the JV at 6 on saturday.
Luke_J32

Postby nc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:10 am

If dp plays defense like they did against mayport they will come out on this one, but i still think it will be a close one. dp beats thompson 55-47
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby toughregion2 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:39 am

One question ????

How do you not play defense against Mayville they have no scorers.
toughregion2

Postby cubsfan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I have DP in this one. They are a little more athletic, they are a little taller, and are just as fast as Thompson.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:31 pm

I am just saying that dp asnt been playing good defense all year but last night is the best defense i have seen them play. They set a half court trap up and that worked well, and also went after the ball and got a few steals. I know that mayport arnt really that good but to see dp showing some defense is good espesially come tourny time.
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby nc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 pm

dp wins 53-44. Dp played very well, good defense, good offense. They broke thompsons press every time they tried. Dp came out in the first playing very well, then in the second quarter thompson came back at the end of the first half in was a two point lead. It was a very physical game even though nichols for dp and demoe for thompson were the only ones that were in foul trouble. The refs let a lot of fouls go and let the players play.
nc
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys