9th poll

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

9th poll

Postby Sioux » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Team Record Points Last Week
1 Watford City (9) 15-0 99 1
2 LaMoure (1) 16-0 91 2
3 Bishop Ryan 14-1 75 4
4 Hankinson 14-1 61 6
5 North Border 14-1 59 3
6 Turtle Lake-Mercer 14-1 44 7
7 Lisbon 13-2 33 5
TIE Richland 13-2 33 8
9 Grafton 14-2 27 9
10 Richardton-Taylor 13-2 20 10

Others Receiving Votes: Steele-Dawson (13-2), Munich-Starkweather (13-2), New Rockford-Sheyenne (12-3).
Sioux

Re: 9th poll

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:11 pm

Richardton?!?!?
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:15 pm

13-2 in argueably the most competative region in the state, not the best, most competative. Steele-Dawson is 13-2 and so is Lisbon, MS, and Richland...who would you have in the top 10 ahead of them?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Playa_Hata10 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:18 pm

chevyman11 wrote:Richardton?!?!?

whoa...settle down...i think the win they had against hazen gave them a couple more believers even tho hazen isnt rated anymore...they still are a good team. And like baseball said..they only have 2 losses....are u mad that m/r isnt recieving votes anymore or what?
Playa_Hata10

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:19 pm

Someone previously stated in last weeks pole that there are many good teams out there with only 1-2 losses that arent receiving votes...never did hear of any though.

I dont expect them to receive votes because of the number of losses they have and because they got beat by Trinity by 20.
Last edited by chevyman11 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseballlvr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:20 pm

MS is 14-2 after tonight
baseballlvr
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndhoopscoach » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:21 pm

The polls are nothing more than someone's opion about a team. They are done by sports writers who know nothing outside of the few teams they cover. Besides, how many rated teams get to the state tournament?
ndhoopscoach

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:28 pm

ndhoopscoach wrote:The polls are nothing more than someone's opion about a team. They are done by sports writers who know nothing outside of the few teams they cover. Besides, how many rated teams get to the state tournament?

true it is all opinion. i dont konw if anyone remembers but a few years back North Carolina was ranked like 15th but yet they were still receiving 1 first place vote all year. i dont know if it was a running joke they had or just a joke that that guy was able to vote since he probably lived in Chapel Hill and didnt see a game that didnt involve the ACC. all opinion, great for discussion, but still all opinion
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballuvr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Regrading hoopscoach post: That's old news. Very old.

More interesting to hear who you think should be in and shouldn't be and why.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:03 pm

ndhoopscoach wrote:The polls are nothing more than someone's opion about a team. They are done by sports writers who know nothing outside of the few teams they cover. Besides, how many rated teams get to the state tournament?

great. then start your own poll....if you know so much about EVERY team in the state.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Sioux wrote:Team Record Points Last Week
1 Watford City (9) 15-0 99 1
2 LaMoure (1) 16-0 91 2
3 Bishop Ryan 14-1 75 4
4 Hankinson 14-1 61 6
5 North Border 14-1 59 3
6 Turtle Lake-Mercer 14-1 44 7
7 Lisbon 13-2 33 5
TIE Richland 13-2 33 8
9 Grafton 14-2 27 9
10 Richardton-Taylor 13-2 20 10

Others Receiving Votes: Steele-Dawson (13-2), Munich-Starkweather (13-2), New Rockford-Sheyenne (12-3).

would've thought maybe Richland gets another vote to move past Lisbon with their win against the Broncs

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 pm

These polls are more educated than you might think. The writers discuss the teams each week before they vote so the voters are quite well informed. The voting used to be done on a conference call and I would assume they still do it via some sort of group communication. If anyone knows any different, feel free to chime in.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:13 pm

point/center wrote:

great. then start your own poll....if you know so much about EVERY team in the state.

Where in that statement is he saying he knows so much about every team in the state? I do agree with him that rankings mean nothing. They're just a beauty contest is all.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:20 pm

nativegolfer wrote:
point/center wrote:

Where in that statement is he saying he knows so much about every team in the state? I do agree with him that rankings mean nothing. They're just a beauty contest is all.

i beleive what point/center was trying to say, was that if he's saying all these sports writers know nothing but the teams they cover, that he should try start his own poll, because it isnt that easy of a job. I dont think the poll "creaters" get enough credit. Obviously everyones going to argue about the poll and that someone doesn't deserve a spot. But at least they give us an accurate guess at a poll.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:21 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
point/center wrote:

i beleive what point/center was trying to say, was that if he's saying all these sports writers know nothing but the teams they cover, that he should try start his own poll, because it isnt that easy of a job. I dont think the poll "creaters" get enough credit. Obviously everyones going to argue about the poll and that someone doesn't deserve a spot. But at least they give us an accurate guess at a poll.

bingo..thank you

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:55 pm

considering there are coaches unable to correctly pronounce the last names of kids from other teams within their own district and region, i believe they know a bit more about some things than some coaches. but that is a rather pointless argument, because any time you broadstroke a category such as 'coaches' or 'sports writers' you are bound to lump morons and decent people into the same category - and that is never good.

in my mind, the poll was designed to give people a way to get some info on other teams they wouldn't normally see...for instance, if i'm not exactly up to date on if watford city or lamoure are still undefeated (depending on which corner of the state you are on), the polls are a good way to find that out (keeping in mind the polls were created before this whole interweb fad got some steam behind it).
rep

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:57 pm

rep wrote:

considering there are coaches unable to correctly pronounce the last names of kids from other teams within their own district and region, i believe they know a bit more about some things than some coaches. but that is a rather pointless argument, because any time you broadstroke a category such as 'coaches' or 'sports writers' you are bound to lump morons and decent people into the same category - and that is never good.

in my mind, the poll was designed to give people a way to get some info on other teams they wouldn't normally see...for instance, if i'm not exactly up to date on if watford city or lamoure are still undefeated (depending on which corner of the state you are on), the polls are a good way to find that out (keeping in mind the polls were created before this whole interweb fad got some steam behind it).

rep your 2 post from 2600. get there NOW

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:58 pm

point/center wrote:
rep wrote:

and all that other stuff make sense too :arrow:

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 pm

point/center wrote:
rep wrote:

done
rep

Return to Boys