Mott/Regent Wildfire Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mott/Regent Wildfire Basketball

Postby American_Gangster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:30 pm

whats your guys take on this basketball program is it legit and wheres it going.
American_Gangster

Re: Mott/Regent Wildfire Basketball

Postby point/center » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 pm

American_Gangster wrote:whats your guys take on this basketball program is it legit and wheres it going.

legit. great coaching, winning kids. lock for regions...semi-finals??...and then it all falls down to the draw and the game itself. but they have what it takes to make some waves. nice story in today's bismarck tribune on them.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby tcbison » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 pm

Winning is contagious at Mott-Regent

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles ... 147780.txt

Go Wildfire!
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:46 pm

This year they should easily win the region (it will take a MAJOR CHOKE not to win it)..down the road will be competitive but I wouldn't call them a "dynasty" in the making...another unknown factor is how long the co-op will last. Regent has a history of jumping around and joining whomever looks to be good....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Pfenix » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:18 pm

I don't know what you mean by a long history. They've been in two co-ops over the years, New England, and Mott. The New England co-op broke up because the two towns just didn't like eachother. I don't see Regent "jumping ship" anytime soon, and I don't see any reason to. What other town is close enough to even warrent making a new co-op? Regent has bigger problems, like keeping the town itself alive.
Pfenix
NDPreps Starter

Postby tcbison » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:29 pm

scruffy wrote:This year they should easily win the region (it will take a MAJOR CHOKE not to win it)..down the road will be competitive but I wouldn't call them a "dynasty" in the making...another unknown factor is how long the co-op will last. Regent has a history of jumping around and joining whomever looks to be good....

Mott-Regent has a very strong Senior class. That is what makes them good this year. Regent only co-oped with New England for football, not basketball or other major sports. I highly doubt Regent is going anywhere. Hopefully they are going with Mott to the state tournament this year though!
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby armedndangerous » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:13 pm

NE/Regent played together in basketball for sure in 1999 and 2000 then Regent would have joined mott in the 01 season I believe.

Anyway Mott/Regent has been to the regionals every year since the districts realigned which was 1998 or 99 so not a Trinityesque dynasty but not bad either.
armedndangerous
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:40 pm

uh....advancing to regionals doesn't mean a team is a "dynasty". There has been several times (especially in district 13) where the third or fourth seed coming into the regional have losing records. :roll: Maybe we should cut the number of regions in half and only allow the top two seeds from each district into the regional tournament.... :|
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:56 pm

I thought Mott and Regent consolidated schools? Does Regent still have a school open? If not, they aren't going anywhere and will always be with Mott.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby letsgosox » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:02 pm

scruffy wrote:This year they should easily win the region (it will take a MAJOR CHOKE not to win it)..down the road will be competitive but I wouldn't call them a "dynasty" in the making...another unknown factor is how long the co-op will last. Regent has a history of jumping around and joining whomever looks to be good....

if mott regent wins the region(which i dont think they will) it will not be easy for them. how do you figure that they will win it easily if they are not head and shoulders above the rest of the teams. they aren't, in my opinion, even the best team.
letsgosox

Postby scruffy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:12 pm

Mott is a very balanced,athletic team with tons of experience back. Anything short of a regional title will be a hard pill for them to swallow.......
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby letsgosox » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:18 pm

scruffy wrote:Mott is a very balanced,athletic team with tons of experience back. Anything short of a regional title will be a hard pill for them to swallow.......

i would say that hazen has by far the most experience. and i would also say they are more athletic than mott too.
letsgosox

Postby scruffy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm not saying a disagree with you, but I know several people in the Mott area ...and thats the general feeling in their area...It's state tournament here we come.....or bust....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby score1234 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:52 pm

letsgosox wrote:
scruffy wrote:Mott is a very balanced,athletic team with tons of experience back. Anything short of a regional title will be a hard pill for them to swallow.......

i would say that hazen has by far the most experience. and i would also say they are more athletic than mott too.

mott/regent has definalty more experience. hazen may have talent but not as much as mott/regent. mott/regent FINALLY won the big one, and the one that counted the most. HAZEN SEEMS TO CHOKE WHEN IT COMES TO BIG GAMES. EVERY YEAR. THEY DONT STAND A CHANCE :!:
score1234
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:09 pm

score1234 wrote:
letsgosox wrote:

mott/regent has definalty more experience. hazen may have talent but not as much as mott/regent. mott/regent FINALLY won the big one, and the one that counted the most. HAZEN SEEMS TO CHOKE WHEN IT COMES TO BIG GAMES. EVERY YEAR. THEY DONT STAND A CHANCE :!:

first of all, mott/regent does not have more experience. erhardt is a 4 year starter. sorenson 3 year. marshall 3 year. and i believe thats better than mott w/ brade at 4, kirsh at 3, and laufer at 2? could be wrong on that. second, hazen seems to choke every year? mott has won one big game (in basketball) in forever. they went to the regional championship twice with a more talented team than trinity and twice came out a loser. what big games has hazen lost? they lost to trinity in basketball last year in region championship and trinity two years ago in football in semi finals. so you may want to check yourself on those comments
letsgosox

Postby Pfenix » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Actually M/R's experience is like this: brade 4, kirsch 3, and devan 3. You also failed to mention another 3 year starter in Blaise Kautzman who is one of their leading scorers. They also have a talented bench with seniors and underclassmen all itching for the chance to play. I say that stacks up very well with Hazen. Also hasn't Hazen lost two football semi-finals in the past two years? Didn't M/R just win a state title? From what you said both teams have both lost two big games to trinity over the years. I think score1234 has made a valid point. I'm just hoping for a rematch in regionals. That will be a fun game to watch.
Pfenix
NDPreps Starter

Postby letsgosox » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:33 pm

Pfenix wrote:Actually M/R's experience is like this: brade 4, kirsch 3, and devan 3. You also failed to mention another 3 year starter in Blaise Kautzman who is one of their leading scorers. They also have a talented bench with seniors and underclassmen all itching for the chance to play. I say that stacks up very well with Hazen. Also hasn't Hazen lost two football semi-finals in the past two years? Didn't M/R just win a state title? From what you said both teams have both lost two big games to trinity over the years. I think score1234 has made a valid point. I'm just hoping for a rematch in regionals. That will be a fun game to watch.

experience matches up well, but i would say that as far as basketball goes, mott/regent has blown far more opportunities than hazen. hazen is 2 classes above m/r in football, so competetion might be a little better. i would venture to say that if mott stepped on the field w/ hazen, it would be no contest. so comparing football games, and the caliber of the games played, not comparable at all. experience is equal, maybe m/r has the edge there, but thats where it ends.
letsgosox

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 pm

Wow, I expect stupid (yes stupid) comments from certain posters but to say Regent jumps around is just plain stupid. They co-oped with NE as long as they had a viable self contained school. When their enrollment dropped they sought a consolidation. I personally would have loved for them to continue the NE tradition but Mott is 8 miles closer and a majority of the school board for Regent at the time lived either in Regent or closer to Mott. It had nothing to do with sports. If it did i would guess the 4 titles in FB and the trip to state in BB would have kept the two towns together.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby hp fan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:17 pm

scruffy,

why do you think it would be struggle a choke for MR to not go to state. Yes they are talented and have a ton of seniors, but I think any teams in the region that feel they have the team to go are expecting alot. With trinity supposedly down this year (less talented), I think Hazen, MR, Killdeer, RT, etc. are feeling like this is thier opportunity.

In my opinion MR and Hazen have the inside track to the regional title, but you are sounding like it will be a cake walk to State. Sorry man, I am not buying it. Region 7 may not be as loaded with talent his year, but it is still going to be competitive with any of the eight teams there being able to pull an upset.

I just don't buy your "choke" talk. It is going to take any team playing thier best for threee games to survive.
hp fan

Postby chevyman11 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:08 am

They are talented and are well coached and very well could make it to state. I think that it will come down to M/R vs. Hazen in the Region Championship. Personally, I think Sorenson from Hazen is a bit overrated. It isn't going to be a cake walk into state though for them...
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:55 am

I'm just going by what people are saying in the mott/regent area. They seem confident that this is their year and anything less will be tough to take...If my team was in that position, I wouldn't want to hear talk like that..
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby American_Gangster » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 am

letsgosox wrote:
score1234 wrote:
letsgosox wrote:

first of all, mott/regent does not have more experience. erhardt is a 4 year starter. sorenson 3 year. marshall 3 year. and i believe thats better than mott w/ brade at 4, kirsh at 3, and laufer at 2? could be wrong on that. second, hazen seems to choke every year? mott has won one big game (in basketball) in forever. they went to the regional championship twice with a more talented team than trinity and twice came out a loser. what big games has hazen lost? they lost to trinity in basketball last year in region championship and trinity two years ago in football in semi finals. so you may want to check yourself on those comments

i'd say hazen's choke at regionals last year was the biggest choke of all....they had the most talent of any team in the region and had the game won until a certain overrated player tried to throw it down to hard for his own good on a fast break ....BRICK!!.....after that....the game was over for the bison.
American_Gangster

Postby letsgosox » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:35 am

American_Gangster wrote:
letsgosox wrote:
score1234 wrote:
letsgosox wrote:

i'd say hazen's choke at regionals last year was the biggest choke of all....they had the most talent of any team in the region and had the game won until a certain overrated player tried to throw it down to hard for his own good on a fast break ....BRICK!!.....after that....the game was over for the bison.

before you say that you may want to go back and look at m/r's team during the jon meier era, and then tell me how a team w/ that much talent, and that had an average team height was 6'4", didnt make a state tournament.
letsgosox

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:52 am

One answer as to why that team didn't make it...coaching. Meier was the head coach, Jon that is.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:18 pm

hp fan, you asked "why do you think it would be aren't cool a choke for MR to not go to state"..What do you mean. I'm refering to people from the area and officials who worked their games that are saying that..I know where you're coming from. There are several decent but no great teams in the region that could shock them on any night. Tonight is a good example..It will be interesting to see if Trinity can stay within 15 points of them....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys