Hankinson Lisbon game

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Hankinson Lisbon game

Postby sportsmart » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:11 pm

When does this game take place and who hosts this year?
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Re: Hankinson Lisbon game

Postby ndfbfan70 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:27 pm

this coming tuesday in lisbon i believe
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Does anyone think this will be a battle of the two teams that will be in the region championship game? Is Jamie Mauch at full health yet?
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby philshometown » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:22 pm

In the game against Wheaton last night, he had 35 points, shot 90% of his 2 pointers, and 71.4 percent of his three pointers, was 100% at the line, had six steals. I would say he is close to 100%!

(Pirates won, 81-65)
----------------------------------------------
Mauch to play two sports at NDSCS

By Kristin Anderson, Wahpeton Daily News

Jamie Mauch has verbally committed to play basketball and football for the Wildcats next season. “I think they’re getting a good one,” Hankinson basketball coach Mike Gaukler said. Daily News photo by Kathleen Leinen.

Jamie Mauch won’t be going too far next season. The Hankinson star athlete has verbally committed to play both football and basketball next season at North Dakota State College of Science.

The choice was not a difficult one for Mauch. “I wanted to stay closer to home,” he said. With family around the area and a sister in Wahpeton, the thought of still being able to go home on the weekends and holidays was a major factor in the decision. “This is the closest place for me to start out,” he said. “It’s not so far that I can go back to my parents if I need help.”

Mauch considered several colleges, but no other would let him play two sports. Hankinson head basketball coach Mike Gaukler is confident in Mauch’s abilities to succeed at the next level. “He’s got skills to play at that level or above,” he said. Gaukler believes Mauch is a versatile player, one that can play different positions, has a good shooting range and the ability to handle the ball.In addition to being a good athlete, Mauch gets things done in the classroom as well. “He’s a very good student, he does an impeccable job in the classroom,” Gaukler said.

Hankinson head football coach Jason Monilaws only has good things to say about Mauch. “He’s the most all-around talented kid I’ve had the privilege of working with,” he said. “He has some God-given skills that many people don’t have. They’re getting one of the premier athletes in the area.”

Though he’s optimistic, Mauch knows he will also face many challenges. Just living on his own is a major one. The fact that he will be playing under a new coach is another, as Wildcat’s head coach Craig Irwin will end his career at NDSCS after this season.

Mauch isn’t worried though. He has a good support system and knows whoever becomes his new coach will do well. “I’m confident they’ll bring in someone that knows what they’re doing,” he said.

The signing periods haven’t come yet, but Mauch knows he has already made the right choice. “It’ll be a good fit for me,” he said. Gaukler agrees. “I think they’re getting a good one.”
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison fan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:41 pm

who do you think is gonna win this game i've been a pirate fan but i dont know if they can pull this one off :!:
Bison fan

Postby adriana » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:35 am

Bison fan wrote:who do you think is gonna win this game i've been a pirate fan but i dont know if they can pull this one off :!:

I'm gonna go with Hankinson by about 4. What makes you think they wont be able to pull this one off?
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballuvr » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:08 am

2 very good teams.

Lisbon has a little more depth I think. Both teams defend well. Lisbon a little more experience. Tough one to call. Maybe this one to the home team and a possible rematch or two with Dist. and Regions.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby greatness » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Carlblom and Mauch have been known to pretty much cancel each other out. If that happens again, I think that lisbon has more skill besides carlblom than hankinson does besides mauch. I give the nod to lisbon by 15.
greatness

Postby ndfbfan70 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:06 pm

lisbon will go in this game with one more loss. they were beaten by richland tonight
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby adriana » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:05 am

greatness wrote:Carlblom and Mauch have been known to pretty much cancel each other out. If that happens again, I think that lisbon has more skill besides carlblom than hankinson does besides mauch. I give the nod to lisbon by 15.

15?!...that's a bit much i think. Plus the loss to richland might get in lisbon's head a bit...

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby east5840 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:09 am

Jordan Lee was out because of a foot injury, and i hear that he is fine they didnt want to takew a chance of it getting worse before the hankinson game. I also agree that if Lee was playing lisbon wins the game against richland.
east5840
NDPreps Reserve

Postby homer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:44 pm

i heard hiam stepped up big time in the game 6 3-pointers plus good defense
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby philshometown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Pirates by 12 at the end of the 3rd Quarter - 45-33
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby philshometown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Hankinson 54-38 with 1:45 left in the game...

philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby philshometown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Final score 57 - 40 Hankinson Pirates!!!

philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby adriana » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:22 pm

philshometown wrote:Final score 57 - 40 Hankinson Pirates!!!

Nice!

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:31 am

Pirates prevail
Eric Peterson, The Forum
Published Wednesday, February 06, 2008

LISBON, N.D. – While Jamie Mauch is the lead character for Hankinson, the senior forward was impressed with his supporting cast Tuesday in front of a packed Lisbon gym.

Mauch finished with 16 points, but was helped by sophomores Alex Althoff and Garrett Stein, who combined for 24 points. That combination sparked the No. 4-ranked Pirates to a 57-40 victory against No. 7-ranked Lisbon in North Dakota Class B boys basketball.

“I really happy with how the underclassmen stepped up,” said Mauch, who went over 1,500 career points. “Our sophomores stepped up and hit some shots against a very good defense.”

Hankinson (15-1, 8-0 District 1) is the final undefeated team in District 1 play and has won five consecutive games.

Lisbon (13-3, 5-1) lost its second game in a row.

Hankinson senior Alex Beach goes up for a shot between Lisbon’s Logan Carlblom, left, and Nathan Dykema in the first half Tuesday in Lisbon. Ann Arbor Miller / The Forum

“We talked in the locker room about this is like being in a boxing match,” Lisbon assistant coach Mark Moss said. “We got knocked down, now we have to get back up. We still think we’re a good team.”

Althoff matched Mauch with 16 points and added eight rebounds. Stein scored eight points, all of which came in the second quarter.

“We’ve talked about how our sophomores have developed as the season has gone on,” Hankinson head coach Mike Gaukler said. “Alex Althoff, I’d give him a game ball. Somebody new steps up for this squad every night, but we know Jamie is going to be our man.”

Mauch scored an inside basket with 1 second remaining in the first half and followed that up with Hankinson’s first nine points (all on 3-pointers) of the second half. Those 11 points fueled a critical 13-2 Hankinson run.

The 6-foot-3 senior capped the surge hitting a 3-pointer from the left wing that gave the Pirates a 40-24 lead with 6 minutes, 5 seconds to play in the third quarter.

“We didn’t start the second half very well,” Moss said. “Mauch hit some shots over pressure. We fought back, but it was too much.”

Lisbon scored the first eight points of the game before Hankinson clawed back into the game. Stein hit back-to-back 3-pointers in the second quarter that helped the Pirates take the lead after their slow start.

A 5-foot-10 reserve, Stein also hit a 15-foot jumper on the baseline with 58 seconds to play in the half that started Hankinson’s game-changing 13-2 surge.

“They were all big shots,” Mauch said.

“They were hitting some shots,” Moss added. “We let some guys get open and they made shots all night long. You have to give credit to Hankinson.”

The Pirates limited Lisbon standout Logan Carlblom to 11 points, which tied his lowest point total this season. Carlblom was averaging 19.5 points per game entering the contest.

“You have to feel good when you hold one of the best players in the state to 11 points,” Gaukler said. “We played a quality squad tonight and we focused in on defense as a unit.”

Hankinson 16 31 45 57

Lisbon 14 22 33 40

HANKINSON (15-1): Mauch 6 0-1 16, A. Althoff 6 4-4 16, Hangaard 0 3-4 3, B. Althoff 1 2-2 4, Krump 1 5-8 7, Beach 1 0-2 3, Stein 3 0-0 8. Totals 18 14-21 57.

LISBON (13-3): Hiam 2 4-4 8, Lee 3 2-2 9, Reinke 4 0-0 8, Carlblom 5 1-3 11, N. Dykema 1 0-0 2, Bishop 0 0-0 0, Cooper 0 0-1 0, Nims 1 0-0 2. Totals 16 7-10 40.

3-point goals: Mauch 4, Beach, Stein 2, Lee. Total fouls: H 15, L 14. Fouled out: Reinke.
Rebounds: H 33 (A. Althoff -8) Lisbon 32 (N. Dykema -8)
Turnovers: H 21, L 22.

HANKINSON 57, LISBON 40
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:43 pm

The Forum has a nice article in today's paper about this game, complete with slideshow and audio. Check it out.

Class B basketball dominates many North Dakota communities during the winter months. Here is a snapshot of the activities surrounding one high school game on Feb. 5 in Lisbon. Hankinson defeated Lisbon 57-40.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index. ... ion=sports
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys