3 class system-gaining momentum

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class system-gaining momentum

Postby bballuvr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:05 pm

JTDC: Well said.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Ditto......
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby biggest ticket » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:15 pm

I wish we had a one class system. Bismarck High vs Watford that would be nice. We as a society are getting weak. T ball games with no score everyone wins. 3 Class system so everyone can go to state. I cant imagine what will be next. Makes me sick to read this bs about how we need 3 classes so we all can be winners. Real worlds not like that. Sign me up where everyone makes 6 figures. No wonder we dont know how to win wars no more. You figure it out.
biggest ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:39 pm

[quote=All a 3 class system does is give some instant gratification to people who think A.-their team should go to state every other year or B.-to keep "good" programs from dominating. What happens to the mystique of David and Goliath? Where's the romance and excitement of an Epping vs. Hillsboro? What will it mean for teams to go to state class C? Everything is just a little more watered down and a liitle less meaningful. No, your team may not go to the state class B,ever, but what if it did? What if for one moment those kids that nobody thought ever had a chance to run with the big boys made it?
quote]

I agree JDTC....I played for Leeds back in the late 90's....graduated in 98. As a town, we were spoiled with 6 trips to state in that decade. People began to expect us going to state rather than realizing how lucky we were to make it that often. We haven't been back to state since 99 (when they won it all). Had many good teams and were always a contender in the region. I think 3 region runnersup and 2 more 3rd places in the last 8 years. Out of the last 8 years, 5 of the champions would probably have been in the middle class of a 3 class system. That means if we would have been in a C division, we could have had 5 more trips to state probably. I don't think that would make it special. When we were making it to state we were the smallest team (based on enrollment) in the tourney each year. People still talk about how we beat MayPort in the semis in 98, even tho we lost the championship. That's your David vs Goliath kind of situation. People never forget it and always want to talk about it. In 99, they beat Trinity in the title. People don't really talk about winning the title, just the fact that they knocked off a heavily favored and much larger Trinity. That's what makes the B special. Its that once in a lifetime type of feeling for most teams and towns. I would actually want to have a one class system and have every school competing for the title before I would 3 class where the schools have the built good programs will still go to state almost every year, doesn't matter what class they are in.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Alright its time for me to state my mind concerning a matter. It is NOT fair for schools who's town is 500-800 total populaton(with a large amount being senior citizens) to compete against schools named DICKINSON, MINOT, WILLISTON, BISMARCK, FARGO...don't even respond with enrollment blah blah blah, as anybody with 1/2 a brain cell will tell you that your chances of getting stud athletes are DRAMATICALLY higher in a LARGE CITY than a small town....parents can choose to send their kids to the private school without open enrollment guidelines...if you compete for a small town school you must live in that town or wait 180 days to compete for them if you do not live there..there are these schools that are on the A level that cannot compete anymore...move them down to class B and then you risk them dominating their region...people are saying society is getting week...well then why don't these schools go up to class A and use your same argument? Makes more sense to me to say why don't you compete with the level of athletes that are like yours instead of competing "down" a level? Talk about a week society!!! What, Dickinson cannot compete against Dickinson? Or Minot cannot compete against Minot? Well it looks to me that there is a need for another class....a class to address these schools located in cities of 20,000 to 50,000 people who feel proud to compete against schools in towns of 500 people. A few bloggers here who no doubt enjoy winning and want to have the luxury of winning...but compete on a level that is fair...when you talk about private vs public it WILL NEVER be fair because the rules and LAWS are different. :evil:
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:00 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:Alright its time for me to state my mind concerning a matter. It is NOT fair for schools who's town is 500-800 total populaton(with a large amount being senior citizens) to compete against schools named DICKINSON, MINOT, WILLISTON, BISMARCK, FARGO...don't even respond with enrollment blah blah blah, as anybody with 1/2 a brain cell will tell you that your chances of getting stud athletes are DRAMATICALLY higher in a LARGE CITY than a small town....parents can choose to send their kids to the private school without open enrollment guidelines...if you compete for a small town school you must live in that town or wait 180 days to compete for them if you do not live there..there are these schools that are on the A level that cannot compete anymore...move them down to class B and then you risk them dominating their region...people are saying society is getting week...well then why don't these schools go up to class A and use your same argument? Makes more sense to me to say why don't you compete with the level of athletes that are like yours instead of competing "down" a level? Talk about a week society!!! What, Dickinson cannot compete against Dickinson? Or Minot cannot compete against Minot? Well it looks to me that there is a need for another class....a class to address these schools located in cities of 20,000 to 50,000 people who feel proud to compete against schools in towns of 500 people. A few bloggers here who no doubt enjoy winning and want to have the luxury of winning...but compete on a level that is fair...when you talk about private vs public it WILL NEVER be fair because the rules and LAWS are different. :evil:

You need to look up your NDHSAA rules a bit more.... Students now need to sit out a full year if they transfer without parents moving into the district. This same rule applies for private schools, too. They have the same open enrollment guidelines as every other school. If a kid from Minot High decides to transfer to Bishop Ryan, they have to sit out. They can't play right away.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBall dominator » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:Alright its time for me to state my mind concerning a matter. It is NOT fair for schools who's town is 500-800 total populaton(with a large amount being senior citizens) to compete against schools named DICKINSON, MINOT, WILLISTON, BISMARCK, FARGO...don't even respond with enrollment blah blah blah, as anybody with 1/2 a brain cell will tell you that your chances of getting stud athletes are DRAMATICALLY higher in a LARGE CITY than a small town....parents can choose to send their kids to the private school without open enrollment guidelines...if you compete for a small town school you must live in that town or wait 180 days to compete for them if you do not live there..there are these schools that are on the A level that cannot compete anymore...move them down to class B and then you risk them dominating their region...people are saying society is getting week...well then why don't these schools go up to class A and use your same argument? Makes more sense to me to say why don't you compete with the level of athletes that are like yours instead of competing "down" a level? Talk about a week society!!! What, Dickinson cannot compete against Dickinson? Or Minot cannot compete against Minot? Well it looks to me that there is a need for another class....a class to address these schools located in cities of 20,000 to 50,000 people who feel proud to compete against schools in towns of 500 people. A few bloggers here who no doubt enjoy winning and want to have the luxury of winning...but compete on a level that is fair...when you talk about private vs public it WILL NEVER be fair because the rules and LAWS are different. :evil:

You need to look up your NDHSAA rules a bit more.... Students now need to sit out a full year if they transfer without parents moving into the district. This same rule applies for private schools, too. They have the same open enrollment guidelines as every other school. If a kid from Minot High decides to transfer to Bishop Ryan, they have to sit out. They can't play right away.

Please come on here w/ a better argument than that...If the private schools went undefeated and won every year I might listen to you a little better. Its always the people who lose to them who want them moved up. Just about everyone one of the laws pretaining to atheletics are the same because they have to be part of the NDHSAA. Moving the private schools up will not make the B any better. Its mainly because they have a tradition of winning why people argue to move them up. I rarely hear people whine about our redeemers because they don't win as often. Private schools probably have the same transfer rate as any other average Class B HS. When I went we had roughly 9 students transfer in and only 2 played sports.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby biggest ticket » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Class B is a beautiful thing as is. To be honest were already celebrating mediocricy with how small rural communities are getting. If you take out the Trinitys, Ryans, Shilohs what would our state tournament look like. Parshall was able to play through these schools. What made them different. Did the Braves maybe put in time, enjoy playing ball more than playstation. It only takes 5 players to make a team its not football. You dont see the NCAA pushing to get a 1A system for hoops and take away from the mystic of the madness. Leave it alone unless we just go to a 1 class system lose and go home no double elimination, shot clock all year with none used during the tournament. That would make it interesting. Why should every player in the state be crowned a champ. Regionals already send 4 out of 6 teams too. Make teams and towns earn some of these awards we give out these days.
biggest ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:44 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

you are wrong!! you live in Minot you are living in the district!!! You live in Dickinson you live in the District!
bigpoppakdog

Postby Stromer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:48 pm

How many of you would be in favor of going back to 1 class? Class A is so watered down that basically the same teams go year after to year to state. This is not the way most would want it but it's a product of the system. The top schools are so big that they need to be seperated. A plan for adding another class would basically take 8 schools from class B and bring them up to make 2 classes of watered down big schools. The majority of schools (around 112) would sill be playing in the bottom class, as compared to around 122 today. That really doesn't change anything. However, it would even things out a bit more. Does Valley City moving down to a new A class mean they will win state every year? No. But it will allow them to compete if they so choose to. Moving Central Cass up is the same way. They might like playing the small towns around them but in reality, their school is not like it was in the past. It is growing and it is time to regroup some of these schools.

I have always been a supporter of the 2 class system until 2 days ago. Population is dictating that a change will have to be made sooner or later. I admit that I have thought the 3 class system would take away the luster. In reality, it wouldn't. It eleminates the bigger schools, some that have had limited sucess anyways. All the 3 class system would due was even thigns out a bit. As mentioned it is dead for now which is good because it is too soon to change anyways. Give it 5-10 years and then it might be time to pull the trigger.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:07 pm

BBall dominator wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Please come on here w/ a better argument than that...If the private schools went undefeated and won every year I might listen to you a little better. Its always the people who lose to them who want them moved up. Just about everyone one of the laws pretaining to atheletics are the same because they have to be part of the NDHSAA. Moving the private schools up will not make the B any better. Its mainly because they have a tradition of winning why people argue to move them up. I rarely hear people whine about our redeemers because they don't win as often. Private schools probably have the same transfer rate as any other average Class B HS. When I went we had roughly 9 students transfer in and only 2 played sports.

your telling me that Bismarck Shiloh, and Dickinson Trinity hasn't WON enough????
bigpoppakdog

Postby Sioux » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Dr. Sports wrote:The reason teams are having such large co-ops is because their having trouble competing against schools such as Dickinson Trinity, Minot Ryan, and Fargo Oak Grove for example. These schools would be in the middle of the 3 class system. As for a 4 region Class A it wouldn't work because that defeats the purpose of saving teams like St.Mary's, Belcourt, and Valley City from large schools like Minot, Bismarck, and Fargo South. Beulah, Hazen, and Rugby wouldn't survive at the next level. Beulah's program was relieved that it was able to step back down to Class B a few years ago. Bottom line only a three class system would be the answer.

COOP's are not established to compete against the best they are put together because of quanity not quality of players..Three Class System is a JOKE!!! Maybe if kids would be like Jeff Boschee and put in the time he did they would be better..Players like Boschee wanted to compete at high level and become one of the best if more kids would do that their schools would be able to compete. Should we give everybody a chance to play in the state tournament without really having to earn it. What ever happened to having kids learn about how hard work can pay off. People get tired of seeing the same teams in the state tourney, so what!! Beat them and when teams do beat them it is that much more exciting. The three class system is not the answer..If VC and Belcourt are complaining maybe just move VC and Belcourt Down..Last I heard is that St. Mary's chooses to be class A. Every year 8 teams get to go to the state tourney I am not sure and would have to do some research but I would say that at least 25 different schools have gone to the state tournament and that includes Dickinson Trinity 5 times, Minot Ryan 3 or 4 times. So if 25 (my guess) out of the 122 teams make it to the state tourney every 5 years I feel that is a good number. It creates competion and desire for teams that are regulars and teams that would like to be them..LEAVE IT ALONE..If they are going to try to increase the chances of a team to make it to the state tourney go with 16 teams with the first round losers going home..This way the Region 1st and 2nd place teams have a chance..That would be fun because many times a 2nd place team in the region can compete with the whole field and would win it every once in awhile..
Sioux

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:
BBall dominator wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

your telling me that Bismarck Shiloh, and Dickinson Trinity hasn't WON enough????

I cant speak for Trinity, but as for Shiloh, they earned their wins. some teams pick a select few to play in summer leagues, Shiloh had the whole team there every night. When i went to acceleration in high school, every day i was there people from Shiloh were up there doing it to and when they finished with the session they would go to the weight room there. Shiloh put the work during the off season and earned all their wins....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby hp fan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:05 pm

I can speak for Trinity...... Shilo, Hazen, Mott Regent, Linton, or any other team that has won any sort of state championship (or state appearence for that fact). They all earn it. SHilo isn;t the only school whose athletes are working out all year long.
It is ridiculous to think anything otherwise. The most successful programs contain well rounded athletes that compete in all three sports. Take a look at Trinity, for example, Everyone complains about how many state B Basketball tourney appearences they have. DO yourselves a favor and look back at the other sports throughout the year. I am guessing you will see that they were in most of the AA Championship football games, and probably placed in the top 5 of the State Track and Field Meet. DOn't tell me they haven't worked at it and earned it.
These other schools have two choices:
1. Wake up and learn that you have to put real work into becoming successful.
or
2. Keep crying for three classes, don;t put the work in, and get throttled every night.
hp fan

Postby BBall dominator » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:
BBall dominator wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

So if A team gets to successful they should be punshed??? There are teams in this state who just have a tradition of winning that aren't private and they have just about as many state appearances or more. That right there shows me that while some schools wait for that 12-0 and 6th grade class to get to HS other programs bust their #$% to be good year in and year out.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:09 pm

bigpappakdog wants to penalize schools who have had success! Now I get it! Jealousy is a wonderful thing isn't it....There are those who will always find someone to blame or point the finger at when things don't go their way. Parshall, North-Border, MPCG , Bottineau and others have gone to state a few times recently. Maybe we should ban them from class "B", or move them up to "A" :roll:
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby BBall dominator » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:10 pm

oh yea and if you transfer in town to a public or private school you do have to sit out.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:28 pm

Bismarck High School....

how many times in the last 10 yeras have they played in state tournaments? how many have they won? im not just talking about Basketball either, they are always good at football, wrestling, and baseball too. they shouldnt allowed to play ND teams but yet teams like Oak Hill and Mater Dei huh??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:52 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:[quote=All a 3 class system does is give some instant gratification to people who think A.-their team should go to state every other year or B.-to keep "good" programs from dominating. What happens to the mystique of David and Goliath? Where's the romance and excitement of an Epping vs. Hillsboro? What will it mean for teams to go to state class C? Everything is just a little more watered down and a liitle less meaningful. No, your team may not go to the state class B,ever, but what if it did? What if for one moment those kids that nobody thought ever had a chance to run with the big boys made it?
quote]

I agree JDTC....I played for Leeds back in the late 90's....graduated in 98. As a town, we were spoiled with 6 trips to state in that decade. People began to expect us going to state rather than realizing how lucky we were to make it that often. We haven't been back to state since 99 (when they won it all). Had many good teams and were always a contender in the region. I think 3 region runnersup and 2 more 3rd places in the last 8 years. Out of the last 8 years, 5 of the champions would probably have been in the middle class of a 3 class system. That means if we would have been in a C division, we could have had 5 more trips to state probably. I don't think that would make it special. When we were making it to state we were the smallest team (based on enrollment) in the tourney each year. People still talk about how we beat MayPort in the semis in 98, even tho we lost the championship. That's your David vs Goliath kind of situation. People never forget it and always want to talk about it. In 99, they beat Trinity in the title. People don't really talk about winning the title, just the fact that they knocked off a heavily favored and much larger Trinity. That's what makes the B special. Its that once in a lifetime type of feeling for most teams and towns. I would actually want to have a one class system and have every school competing for the title before I would 3 class where the schools have the built good programs will still go to state almost every year, doesn't matter what class they are in.

That is what class b basketball is all about. It is that once in a lifetime feeling of playing on the biggest stage in North Dakota. There are a lot of teams that don't make it but there are a lot of programs that have made it very often. MPCG has the most state titles as a school and has the most tournament appearances in the state. You think that is easy? You say MPCG has a higher enrollment and have more people to choose from. What made MPCG great is the work ethic they had in the off-season. If you would ever go to the gym in the summer you would have seen the hard work and dedication they put in. They lost some of the dedication and lack of work ethic. I think they figured they were the MPCG Patriots we will make it to regions because of what other people have done. This season has made the program lose some credibility. Hopefully for Mr. Nelson's sake and for the sake of all the people that went through the program that credibility will be returned in the near future. Something will have to change for that to happen.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Dr. Sports » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Sioux wrote:
Dr. Sports wrote:The reason teams are having such large co-ops is because their having trouble competing against schools such as Dickinson Trinity, Minot Ryan, and Fargo Oak Grove for example. These schools would be in the middle of the 3 class system. As for a 4 region Class A it wouldn't work because that defeats the purpose of saving teams like St.Mary's, Belcourt, and Valley City from large schools like Minot, Bismarck, and Fargo South. Beulah, Hazen, and Rugby wouldn't survive at the next level. Beulah's program was relieved that it was able to step back down to Class B a few years ago. Bottom line only a three class system would be the answer.

COOP's are not established to compete against the best they are put together because of quanity not quality of players..Three Class System is a JOKE!!! Maybe if kids would be like Jeff Boschee and put in the time he did they would be better..Players like Boschee wanted to compete at high level and become one of the best if more kids would do that their schools would be able to compete. Should we give everybody a chance to play in the state tournament without really having to earn it. What ever happened to having kids learn about how hard work can pay off. People get tired of seeing the same teams in the state tourney, so what!! Beat them and when teams do beat them it is that much more exciting. The three class system is not the answer..If VC and Belcourt are complaining maybe just move VC and Belcourt Down..Last I heard is that St. Mary's chooses to be class A. Every year 8 teams get to go to the state tourney I am not sure and would have to do some research but I would say that at least 25 different schools have gone to the state tournament and that includes Dickinson Trinity 5 times, Minot Ryan 3 or 4 times. So if 25 (my guess) out of the 122 teams make it to the state tourney every 5 years I feel that is a good number. It creates competion and desire for teams that are regulars and teams that would like to be them..LEAVE IT ALONE..If they are going to try to increase the chances of a team to make it to the state tourney go with 16 teams with the first round losers going home..This way the Region 1st and 2nd place teams have a chance..That would be fun because many times a 2nd place team in the region can compete with the whole field and would win it every once in awhile..

The only joke on both quotes is YOOUU.. Nobody said VC or Belcourt were complaining, nobody as far as I know is from those schools are qouting. The truth is SIZE does matter despite your misbelief that SOLELY hard work will get you there does not over come the natural talent you have at your disposal at a large school. Bismarck is Not gonna take Odessa Permia Texas(yeah there would be complianing then) Maddock is not gonna take Minot on it's best day. The biggest complainers are the ones who depend on the SMALLER schools for easy scheduling. Every state has more that 2 classes and if you truly feel that way then abolish B and go to A and put your money where yur mouth is. Our state should get with the program, were always the last to do things.
Last edited by Dr. Sports on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sports
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scruffy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Dr.sports, Trinity is the third or fourth largest school in their district!! If we would ever go to a three class system the Titans would be in class "C" (based on our enrollment projections for 2008/2009). Currently in football where we compete in "AA", we are by far the smallest school in the class but have managed to compete quite well.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Dr. Sports » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:08 pm

scruffy wrote:Dr.sports, Trinity is the third or fourth largest school in their district!! If we would ever go to a three class system the Titans would be in class "C" (based on our enrollment projections for 2008/2009). Currently in football where we compete in "AA", we are by far the smallest school in the class but have managed to compete quite well.

2 years ago i talked to a parent(from Dickinson Trinity) about the situation in Dickinson and she said you don't know what it's like living a town with 2 schools. Meaning that you want to see your child not only play but win a championship. Players do switch schools and they have ways to get out of the 1 or 2 semester penalty trust i've talked to students and friends who've done it.
Dr. Sports
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Dr. Sports wrote:
Sioux wrote:

The only joke on both quotes is YOOUU.. Nobody said VC or Belcourt were complaining, nobody as far as I know is from those schools are qouting. The truth is SIZE does matter despite your misbelief that SOLELY hard work will get you there does not over come the natural talent you have at your disposal at a large school. Bismarck is Not gonna take Odessa Permia Texas(yeah there would be complianing then) Maddock is not gonna take Minot on it's best day. The biggest complainers are the ones who depend on the SMALLER schools for easy scheduling. Every state has more that 2 classes and if you truly feel that way then abolish B and go to A and put your money where yur mouth is. Get with the program NORTH DAKOTA THAT IS WHY YOUR A DYING STATE.

SO not having a three class system makes North Dakota a Dying State.To put it nicely...Your an idiot!! North Dakota Class B basketball has the best basketball atmosphere of any tournament around!! Keep getting your advice from National Geographic articles!! DS
Sioux

Postby scruffy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Dr.Sports, dickinson follows the rules set forth by the NDHAA. PERIOD. Both the Dickinson Public schools and Trinity abide by the same set of rules set forth by Valley City. I've never had a "problem" living in a town with two schools. TRUST ME, sports does not dictate where I send my kids to school. The quality of education, test scores and what goes on in the classroom determines that. I want my kids to be prepared for college and I don't care how many regional championships their teams win. EDUCATION is why they're in the school they attend.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby heartstopper » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:18 pm

You can't ruin class b basketball, but if it does come down to ruining it, lets go to 1 class, not 3
heartstopper

PreviousNext

Return to Boys