serious question

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

serious question

Postby smart source » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 pm

i am a class a student and i have a serious question and im not trying to start an arguement just seriously wondering....so heres is my question...why doesnt class b get a shot clock? imo it helps the game tremendously and people always say its because they cant afford it but i just dont understand why not i mean class a gets sponsors from businesses and such why cant class b? just wondering
smart source

Re: serious question

Postby cubsfan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:33 pm

I think the main reason is because it would hurt the game tremendously. Class A has a higher quality of athlete 1-10 then any Class B team could ever have. I think that is the biggest argument of why they should not have a shot clock IMO.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballuvr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 pm

If a person was to watch a game, or several games, of the teams in B that seem to get the most flack for playing a "slow down" type game, you would seldom see a possession last more that 25-30 seconds. I spose a shot clock would be 35 or 40 seconds. It is not necessary at all. It is not used in many states at all.

Another thread shows a figure of something like 85% of states do NOT have a shot clock. We do NOT need it. Work on the D. Get committed to being a great defender, etc.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hankump25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 pm

I think it obviously comes down to funds, but if a school can pay for all the people (officials, staff, etc.) to work all their home games, they can definitely make way and budget for shot clocks..I think it's only a matter of time..
I wish all basketball (Minnesota, North Dakota, Class A/B) would come to an agreement and make it all the same...Halves and shot clock, follow college, get the kids ready for college if they pursue it and it's less disruptive than quarter breaks..Of course I have talked to coaches and they don't like the less breaks (timeouts), but it does speed up the game and gives the kids more rhythm and time to play ....
hankump25

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:15 pm

Schools are having a tougher time each year paying for sports programs. Travel costs are increasing and officials fees have jumped a lot in the last few years, especially with mileage fees going up. There is also talk of having 3 man crews at all reg season district games....more money there. Schools just don't have the extra money to put in shot clocks. Plus it is absolutely unnecessary and I hope the NDHSAA never passes it for class B.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hankump25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:24 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Schools are having a tougher time each year paying for sports programs. Travel costs are increasing and officials fees have jumped a lot in the last few years, especially with mileage fees going up. There is also talk of having 3 man crews at all reg season district games....more money there. Schools just don't have the extra money to put in shot clocks. Plus it is absolutely unnecessary and I hope the NDHSAA never passes it for class B.

I do agree with you on all the information you just shared, I would much rather have 3 person officiating so the kids get used to that 3rd set of eyes out there on the court than having a shot clock that the kids have to worry about...but then again, they should have to adjust to anything that changes in the league.
hankump25

Postby baller01 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Just so you know, if you are a person that is FOR the 3-class system. You should be AGAINST the shot clock. Class B not having a shot clock is the only chance smaller/weaker teams have. Games that are 70-40 now would be 95-30 if there was a shot clock.

Instead of Valley City whining to get a 3-class system, maybe they should try to get the shot clock taken out of class A basketball. That might be there best bet.

A shot clock is not going to affect most teams. In fact it won't affect probably 95% of teams. The only time it would affect teams is if its a weaker team up against a powerhouse. The only chance poor teams have against a good team is to slow it down and make the powerhouse play defense for 45-60 seconds.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby LBC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Somewhere on the Class B forum, there is a post on the shot clock entitled "I need to vent on why Class B needs a shot clock!" or something to that effect. Anyway, there is a much larger discussion at that sight.
LBC
NDPreps Reserve

Postby smart source » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:34 pm

bballuvr wrote:If a person was to watch a game, or several games, of the teams in B that seem to get the most flack for playing a "slow down" type game, you would seldom see a possession last more that 25-30 seconds. I spose a shot clock would be 35 or 40 seconds. It is not necessary at all. It is not used in many states at all.

Another thread shows a figure of something like 85% of states do NOT have a shot clock. We do NOT need it. Work on the D. Get committed to being a great defender, etc.

you see that is my point exactly with the defense part....if you go watch a game of such as bismarck high and minot high this thursday just watch how much more intense the defense is at a class a level than a class b level and there is no reason that a class b level couldnt run that type of d...i have never seen a class b team run a really intense full court man or zone press defense that is meant to get steals and such i always see a laid back zone defense meant to make people shoot
smart source

Postby baseball » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:37 pm

I posted this in another topic so i thought i would sya it here too....

Class B
Central Cass - 62.2 PPG
Lisbon - 67.4 PPG
North Border - 65.3 PPG
Four Winds - 77.4 PPG
Steele-Dawson - 65.2 PPG
Turtle-Lake - 78.2 PPG
Watford City - 74 PPG
Parshall - 73.4 PPG
Dunsieth - 62.6 PPG
Warwick - 79.3 PPG
New Rockford - 73.6 PPG

Class A (in 32 minutes)
Williston - 71.5 PPG (63.5 PPG)
Century - 59 PPG (52.4 PPG)
Minot - 76.2 PPG (67.7 PPG)
Jamestown - 50.5 PPG (44.9 PPG)
Wahpeton - 61.2 PPG (54.4 PPG) (lost to a Class B school)
Valley City - 58.5 PPG (52 PPG)
Dickinson - 71.6 PPG (63.6 PPG)

Few Random D-1 schools (in 32 minutes)
#22 Drake - 73.2 PPG (58.6 PPG)
#23 Xavier - 78.4 PPG (62.7 PPG)
#16 Dayton - 70.9 PPG (56.7 PPG)
#13 Pitt - 76.8 PPG (61.4 PPG)

shot clock has NO effect on a game so how is it helping the game so much? Smart source i also remember you posting youve never seen a class B game over 60 points. this posts also counters that arguement...

as for BHS playin more intense defense. thats maybe true because they have more players choose from? just thought i guess. Class B teams can run an intense defense for periods of time but not a whole game because they dont have the numbers to simply shuffle players in and out to keep that pressure up and still keep a solid basketball team out there
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 pm

Watch Dickinson Trinity play sometime. They always play full-court in-your-face defense.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:42 pm

i honestly think smart source could count the number of Class B games he has watched on one finger....maybe not even that many.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseballlvr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 am

baseball wrote:i honestly think smart source could count the number of Class B games he has watched on one finger....maybe not even that many.

I think that smart source should have checked the class B forum before he made this topic, he would have seen the "i need to vent about how badly class b needs a shot clock." that would have probably answered all his questions
baseballlvr
NDPreps Starter

Postby smart source » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:23 am

i think smart source has seen plenty of class b games since his cousin starts for one of them and he lives in minot where state class b boys and girls is held a lot of the time
smart source

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:27 am

then why does class B need a shot clock. the point output in the same if not better for a 32 minute game. 2 possesions MAX would a shot clock buzzer even go off.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby toughregion2 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 am

A shot clock in class b would be about a 45 second one. Lets watch a game and see how many possesions go 45 seconds. VERY VERY VERY FEW you see it at the end of the half maybe but, not much anywhere else in the game..If its not broke dont fix it.

I dont think it turns to many people off to class b basketball. Watch tv during state tournemants and youll see my point.
toughregion2

Postby Deuce » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:15 am

toughregion2 wrote:A shot clock in class b would be about a 45 second one. Lets watch a game and see how many possesions go 45 seconds. VERY VERY VERY FEW you see it at the end of the half maybe but, not much anywhere else in the game..If its not broke dont fix it.

I dont think it turns to many people off to class b basketball. Watch tv during state tournemants and youll see my point.

Why would a shot clock for class b be 45 seconds?
But where a shot clot helps is the end of the game where you can play d and get the ball back without having to foul. Also forcing the other team to take a low percentage shot is as much like a turnover as playing till the clock expires, so its not just how many times it goes off.

I think class B going needs to go to halves because with quarters you have 3 times where a team is going to try for a last shot rather than 1 with halves. (I didn't count the end of the game because then the winning team is usually trying to hold for time to expire or get fouled).
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:19 am

Not many class "B" teams have the ability to slow down the game. Some of the top teams do, but you don't see it until late in games when they are protecting leads.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby toughregion2 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:59 am

I would vote for the two half system as long as they get one extra timeout
toughregion2

Postby hankump25 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 pm

I don't hear alot of complaints on the Class A side as far as the shot clock and halves go. As well as Minnesota playing halves..They are thinking of going to the shot clock within two years, 2010 season. I suggested that Class B should adopt both for the sake of making it easier for College coaches to compare stats of high school ballers if they all played the same format of time span, shot clock, etc.
hankump25

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 pm

hankump25 wrote:I don't hear alot of complaints on the Class A side as far as the shot clock and halves go. As well as Minnesota playing halves..They are thinking of going to the shot clock within two years, 2010 season. I suggested that Class B should adopt both for the sake of making it easier for College coaches to compare stats of high school ballers if they all played the same format of time span, shot clock, etc.

if your gonna do that take away the shot clock and go back to quarters so we can match the rest of the country........
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBall dominator » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:56 pm

I still think Class B basketball is very entertaining and great to watch. The only change I wouldn't mind seeing is halves but even w/ that I think your splitting hairs because 4 quarters is doing just fine. People who hate on Class B because the basketball might be a little looser than a majority of class A ball. Class b just doesn't have the athletes or much of the time the coaches to compare to class A. I'm willing to guarantee that you could take the kids who got cut from a Class A team and make a pretty competitive Class b team.

Oh yea no shot clock is really needed would be nice but won't change the game very much maybe 3 possessions a game.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HometownHigh » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:17 am

IMO a shot clock is nothing more than a babysitter, limits the players. Let the coaches coach, and players play the game, if running time off the clock enters into the scenario, so be it. If you're in the situation where only a shot clock will get you a win as a team, perhaps you aren't the best team on the floor that night, and didn't play to win?
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ocho Siete » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 pm

baseball wrote:I posted this in another topic so i thought i would sya it here too....

Class B
Central Cass - 62.2 PPG
Lisbon - 67.4 PPG
North Border - 65.3 PPG
Four Winds - 77.4 PPG
Steele-Dawson - 65.2 PPG
Turtle-Lake - 78.2 PPG
Watford City - 74 PPG
Parshall - 73.4 PPG
Dunsieth - 62.6 PPG
Warwick - 79.3 PPG
New Rockford - 73.6 PPG

Class A (in 32 minutes)
Williston - 71.5 PPG (63.5 PPG)
Century - 59 PPG (52.4 PPG)
Minot - 76.2 PPG (67.7 PPG)
Jamestown - 50.5 PPG (44.9 PPG)
Wahpeton - 61.2 PPG (54.4 PPG) (lost to a Class B school)
Valley City - 58.5 PPG (52 PPG)
Dickinson - 71.6 PPG (63.6 PPG)

Few Random D-1 schools (in 32 minutes)
#22 Drake - 73.2 PPG (58.6 PPG)
#23 Xavier - 78.4 PPG (62.7 PPG)
#16 Dayton - 70.9 PPG (56.7 PPG)
#13 Pitt - 76.8 PPG (61.4 PPG)

shot clock has NO effect on a game so how is it helping the game so much? Smart source i also remember you posting youve never seen a class B game over 60 points. this posts also counters that arguement...

as for BHS playin more intense defense. thats maybe true because they have more players choose from? just thought i guess. Class B teams can run an intense defense for periods of time but not a whole game because they dont have the numbers to simply shuffle players in and out to keep that pressure up and still keep a solid basketball team out there

I think what these stats prove is that, Class B is just better. Period.
Ocho Siete
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:44 pm

i wouldnt say makes them better. just prove the point that a shot clock isnt needed to speed up the game and increase the scoring...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys