Turtle Lake Mercer SWEEP Regionals?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Turtle Lake Mercer SWEEP Regionals?

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:18 pm

I've read that both the Boy's and the Girl's teams are VERY GOOD. Are they going to be the favorites come tournament time? Who can match up with them? Shiloh boy's aren't very good this year...Standing Rock Boy's aren't very consistent.....Shiloh Girl's are streaky...Standing Rock Girls are fun to watch, but are young....Wilton's time has passed.....New Salem boy's have never been a threat before, though they have been playing everybody tough this year....their girls are in a major rebuild....anybody else have any thoughts?
bigpoppakdog

Re: Turtle Lake Mercer SWEEP Regionals?

Postby bluedevils_4 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:45 pm

its is very likely that the tl boys could come out of the region being it is a semi weak weak region and they have a good team and are playin very good ball right now. but that could change if the shooting goes. as far as the girls i don't think they can make it out. they are a good team but with a lack of good players and no reliable offensive threat they are very streaky. i would give shiloh the edge because fo thier experience and bearstaill and if i am not wrong they have a very good post player also
bluedevils_4
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:50 pm

I remember watching TLM in volleyball...they had some impressive height and their tall girls were very athletic....Shiloh girls have been HUGE for the last few years, but let the smallest team win the region 3 years in a row....their big girls are to me, are not a threat inside...their big post shoots from the outside better than in the paint...but I haven't seen TLM girls play yet..so....??????
bigpoppakdog

Postby bluedevils_4 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:56 pm

i don't want to go into to much detail about the girls because this is the guys forum but TLMs big girls aren't really goto players they have a gaurd that is a GREAT defender but struggles on the offensive end with turnovers. so in essence they sturgle with pressure
bluedevils_4
NDPreps Starter

Postby old lineman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Nelson had 42 against Hazen, who I thought was the most athletic team in the west man for man. WOW Guards in basketball can make some great stuff happen and TLM has 4 of them on the court at one time. Singer does a great job in the paint when they come out and spread the court to play D aginst the TLM shooters. TLM has a good shot at regionals. They like to have an up tempo game, their coach sets the stage so they play with the teams strenghs and trys to pick apart the other teams weaknesses. The TLM girls are also pretty good. Malzer just reached the 1000 point club as a junior, congrat's to him and his teammates.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lionstigersandbears » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:21 am

bluedevils_4 wrote:i don't want to go into to much detail about the girls because this is the guys forum but TLMs big girls aren't really goto players they have a gaurd that is a GREAT defender but struggles on the offensive end with turnovers. so in essence they sturgle with pressure

you're right bluedevils...we have a girls forum and comments on girls belong there but this topic sort of covers both...legitimately...so not sure where it fits. At any rate I wanted to address your post. The boys are looking to be the team to beat for Region 5. If they keep up this level of play, I don't know who could beat them come tournament time but too much could happen between now and then so too early to speculate. With regards to the girls...you're right...only a couple "go to" players. the gaurd you mention is turnover prone I agree but in her defense..she does everything on that team with little help and brings the ball down the court almost every time. She's chased in every dist. game and most non-dist teams have her looked up too. a high t/o % is logical based on the fact that almost every play is created by or revolves around this guard. Turnovers aside, her stats are impressive. Can she rally her team out of region 5? doubtful but it's a weak region so possible. No matter what happens at Region tournament time, TLM should be proud of their 07-08 BB seasons.
lionstigersandbears

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:01 pm

thanks...thats what I wanted to hear....the region is weak.....wonder when the last school swept their region in boys bb and girls bb.....??? anybody know???
bigpoppakdog

Postby twoadays » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:44 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:thanks...thats what I wanted to hear....the region is weak.....wonder when the last school swept their region in boys bb and girls bb.....??? anybody know???

My prediction is you'll see both boys and girls in the regional final games...the boys should make it out IF they keep playin ball like they are...the girls have as good a chance as anyone but they are STREAKY. I've seen them look like 2 differnt teams in the span of a few days with no real difference in competion. they have one senior guard and one senior post who have some nice chemistry on the court but it's not consistent. These girls just aren't deep enough but on a good night, they could also come out of region 5. The boys on the other hand have 5 absolute solid players. Evan Nelson is unstoppable from 3 point land right now. Malzer's skill goes without saying. Add a tremendous sophomore center and 2 quick guards with loads of court vision...you have a nice group of kids.
twoadays

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:44 pm

i've heard that the girls really have two players and their record is the product of weak districts and regional teams in the area...Velva beat them and they aren't considered a state type of team...while turtle lake has been....i've heard their guard is good on defense, but a big liability on the offense....???? Now my question is...shiloh is big...but not a force inside...but are dangerous from the perimeter...standing rock is deadly from the perimeter and a threat from the inside...out of these three teams is there a particular favorite?
bigpoppakdog

Postby lionstigersandbears » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 pm

twoadays wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:thanks...thats what I wanted to hear....the region is weak.....wonder when the last school swept their region in boys bb and girls bb.....??? anybody know???

My prediction is you'll see both boys and girls in the regional final games...the boys should make it out IF they keep playin ball like they are...the girls have as good a chance as anyone but they are STREAKY. I've seen them look like 2 differnt teams in the span of a few days with no real difference in competion. they have one senior guard and one senior post who have some nice chemistry on the court but it's not consistent. These girls just aren't deep enough but on a good night, they could also come out of region 5. The boys on the other hand have 5 absolute solid players. Evan Nelson is unstoppable from 3 point land right now. Malzer's skill goes without saying. Add a tremendous sophomore center and 2 quick guards with loads of court vision...you have a nice group of kids.

I agree with everything you are saying except I have my worries about Nelson...I think he's hot and cold and don't know if he'll stay this hot thru tourn. time. He definately runs the show but don't know if he can keep up this scoring threat thru the post season. also, saw your post on the girls side about too many plays and that's hittin' the nail on the head. They worry to much about x's and o's and can't focus on the game. BUT I've seen them step up when it counts and like i've said before...it's a good region for them to get out of b/c it is a rebuilding year for most other teams. so now or never for them I think!
lionstigersandbears

Postby usedtowearajock » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:16 pm

We will know shortly how the TL-M teams can finish the season. If the boys can keep the same players on the team I don't know who could stop them. The girls have some tough games to play. They tend to be a little "heady". They are not as good as they think they are. Maybe this loss to Velva can help some of that. They have a fair shot at region champs but have to get some good game going to do it. Good luck down the stretch !
Last edited by usedtowearajock on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
usedtowearajock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby biggest ticket » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:41 pm

lionstigersandbears wrote:
twoadays wrote:

I agree with everything you are saying except I have my worries about Nelson...I think he's hot and cold and don't know if he'll stay this hot thru tourn. time. He definately runs the show but don't know if he can keep up this scoring threat thru the post season. also, saw your post on the girls side about too many plays and that's hittin' the nail on the head. They worry to much about x's and o's and can't focus on the game. BUT I've seen them step up when it counts and like i've said before...it's a good region for them to get out of b/c it is a rebuilding year for most other teams. so now or never for them I think!

I think Evan Nelson will be aight. Hes a senior and that is huge. Seniors know its now or never which makes kids grow up and become men. Hes a born leader on the floor. Hes prob not goin to throw in 42 again, but who cares hes the floor leader. Let Malzer and super sophmore Grant Singer score doesnt mean Nelson isnt the most valuable player on the nights hes not scoring. The kids crafty and has his fair share of steals with the talent to be that 20 pt plus scorer. Hes been amazing this whole year.

Whats with girls talk on this forum? What famous girls guard? Isnt that a oxy moron on a fans forum for Class B boys basketball.
biggest ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby usedtowearajock » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:47 pm

"Whats with girls talk on this forum? What famous girls guard? Isnt that a oxy moron on a fans forum for Class B boys basketball"

Sorry, this topic seems to include both the boys and girls teams from TL-M. Not even sure what an oxy moron is. :shock:
usedtowearajock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby biggest ticket » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:58 pm

An oxymoron (plural oxymorons) is a figure of speech that combines two normally contradictory terms. Oxymoron is a loanword from Greek oxy ("sharp") and moros ("dull"). Thus the word oxymoron is itself an oxymoron

You know like talking about girls ball and then have a famous thrown in front of girls guard is the oxy moron part on a boys forum. But will give you that this thread is supposed to talk about both. Just us B Boys fans dont know the players well enough to know the Class B big names in girls ball to know who everyone is talking about.
biggest ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby lionstigersandbears » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:07 pm

like "computer jock" :lol:
lionstigersandbears

Return to Boys