St.John

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

St.John

Postby thabasics » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:51 pm

this is a very good team-----hey play well together----they could score about anytime they want to on the floor----they are 7-0---rated 8th in state----they also have a couple of games that they should win----if they keep playing the way are now----they should be very tough to beat---
thabasics

Re: St.John

Postby sportsperson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:24 pm

Who have they beat so far?
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby thabasics » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:37 pm

the best one would have to be

New Rockford and New Rockford beat Four Winds
thabasics

Postby mclovin33 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:00 pm

They beat

Rugby
New Rockford
maddock (2)
Westhope
North Star
Rolette Woldford
mclovin33

Postby sportsperson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:22 pm

So the New Rockford win is a pretty decent one, but other than that they haven't really been tested. That sound about right?
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby nadal11 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:51 pm

they've beaten maddock twice which doesn't take much, but they will have some good tests coming up...so we'll see how good they really are...
nadal11

Postby leonard74j » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:16 am

Does anyone really think that St John should be even any were near the top 10?-----Granted I have about the way these guys play and it sounds pretty good.
leonard74j

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:00 am

I posted the following recently about St John in another topic.

St John has a big game against Northstar tonight. They also have Rolla twice, M/L, FW, M/S, Minot Ryan, Langdon, Northstar again, Warwick, and Dunseith to close out the season. All tough games...probably the toughest schedule of any of the top ten teams and teams receiving votes. The only walkover games they have left are AE and RW. If they get wins in the majority of these game, they have a great shot at representing Region 4 at state this year. However, they could easily lose 6-7 of these games as well.

In my opinion, they have had the easiest schedule of any of the top 10 teams. The only quality win they've had is NRS....maybe Northstar.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby m7ss » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:57 pm

they beat northstar by 4, was a good game
m7ss

Postby MGUNVILLE » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:54 pm

I've seen St. john play they do have a decent first five. They need to play some bench players if they are going to be a contender at tournament time. I wouldn't put to much faith in the top 10 poll all the games still have to be played.
MGUNVILLE

Postby Stromer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:31 pm

I see them ending up with at least 2 district losses, possibly 3 along with some non-district ones. I agree they are decent but I don't see them being top 10 in a couple of weeks.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm really starting to think St John is going to struggle and lose quite a few games soon. They squeaked out a 4 pt win against Northstar and now a 2 pt win against Rolla. Both of these teams aren't pushovers, but they aren't going to contend for the district title either. If St John was going to be a true contender I would have expected at least one 15 pt victory over these teams.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSIOUX_fan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 am

Just because St. John has had a couple of close games to some of these teams does not mean that they will have a tough road ahead. In class B boys basketball any team can get beat on any given night, so you really can not rely on the scores of these games to determine the outcome of the rest of the season.
NDSIOUX_fan

Postby shooter » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 am

I think that by St John having a few close wins that is only going to make them better. It makes them battle tested and shows they have what it takes to hold on in a tight situation. Their unbeaten streak may not last forever, but they should hang around until the end in every game they are in.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:15 am

Their unbeaten streak will come to an end on Friday when they play Mwkn/Leeds. ML wins by 15+
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby wjo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:28 pm

St. John is overrated currently, and will drop out fast after one loss. Squeeking wins over Rolla-RL and North Star prove they are not poll worthy. Also only beat Adams-Edmore by 8 or 9, a winless team! No doubt they may be talented, but competitive games will come fast and furious, if they weather those games, all the props go back to them.
NDSIOUX_fan wrote:Just because St. John has had a couple of close games to some of these teams does not mean that they will have a tough road ahead. In class B boys basketball any team can get beat on any given night, so you really can not rely on the scores of these games to determine the outcome of the rest of the season.
wjo

Postby luckyinlife » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm curious. . . St. John's is undefeated so they are obviously doing some things right. For you guys to think that they are overrated, you must think they have some serious faults. The only thing you mention is that they are not winning by big margins. The last time I checked, a win was a win.

So what are their weaknesses?
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:33 pm

St. John is a highly talented team. The only downfall they have is also their biggest strength - They play very fast and loose.Very chaotic - which if they play a team that can't handle that type of game - they are going to do really well. - If they play a team that can control the tempo and the mood of the game - they are going to have a tough time. Do I think they will remain undefeated? No - Do I think they will be a region contender - Yes - they have loads of talent, and kids that have been starting on varsity together for 3-4 years. Don't count them out. They are very well-coached and they are getting better each game.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Oh yeah, Last time I checked - Rolla-Rock Lake gave North Border one of their best games of the year. So, for St.John to hold off and beat that team is a testament to their progress. - I think they are very legitimate.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stromer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:49 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Their unbeaten streak will come to an end on Friday when they play Mwkn/Leeds. ML wins by 15+

I tend to agree with this. St. John is a product of the schedule. Not saying they aren't good but they are not at the level the polls might suggest.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby anit couz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 pm

slow them down to a half court game, and there goes there offense. control the ball bout 20 each poss.
anit couz

Postby toddjames » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:24 pm

A lot of these replies sound the same as the ones that people made about the St. John football team... week after week people talked about them having a light schedule and that they wouldn't go anywhere... Give a little credit where credit is due, they are undefeated and will make at a run at that Region, they may not get out of the Region and into state, but they are defintely without a doubt are going to make a run for the Region title...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby TheBigMan55 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:59 pm

St. John is a tough team....they play really good together and are all young....there are only two seniors...Parisien and Leonard....other than that there are all juniors and sophmores.....they will also be a tough team next year...they will have a good game against M/L tomorrow
TheBigMan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfootball06 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:58 pm

I know little if anything about this team but I saw they beat Adams-Edmore by 11 earlier this week. Theres absolutely no way a 7th ranked team in the state should beat a team like AE by 11 points. I'd expect M/L to win by 20+ unless they play like they did against R/RL. I didn't see that game either, but I thought it was very surprising.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:04 pm

thabasics wrote:the best one would have to be

New Rockford and New Rockford beat Four Winds

FW is going to be St Johns, I am going to put that out there!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys