Best Coach In Class B Boys Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best Coach In Class B Boys Basketball

Postby leonard74j » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:10 am

Who do you guys think is the best coach?
leonard74j

Re: Best Coach In Class B Boys Basketball

Postby adriana » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:17 am

Well Dave Nelson of MayPort CG definitely needs to be on this list.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:06 am

Gregg Grinsteinner, Dickinson Trinity. Eight of nine years going to state with two state championships won and four state championship game appearances.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby greatest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:50 am

although i don't really like the team , even tho they r pre good . id have to say Scott Medalen from Bishop Ryan is a good coach .
greatest
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:57 pm

adriana wrote:Well Dave Nelson of MayPort CG definitely needs to be on this list.

Totally agree with you....in my opinion he is the top coach in the state.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:01 pm

Grinsteinner hands down...
project-pat

Postby hoopsfan23 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Dan Carr should be up there with the top coaches. He has done a lot with the talent he has had in Linton. Also Gregg Grinsteinner, you can't argue with the state appearances.
hoopsfan23

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:31 pm

I believe, in no particular order, that Dave Nelson, Dan Carr, Gregg Ginsteinner, and Ron Carlson are 4 of the best. Nate and Mike Monson are both high quality as well.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Roughrider » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:14 pm

Grinnsteiner and Carr are tied for the best in my opinion
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby CHS » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:46 pm

My old coach Dan Carr of Linton
CHS

Postby PA42 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:58 pm

I think we can agree that their isn't one coach who is hands down better than the rest of the field. Region 2 has lots of quality coaches. Nelson, Rotvold, Howson, and Cooter just to name a few. I think coaches who can put up competitive teams no matter who they have should be considered as top coaches.
PA42

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:07 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:I believe, in no particular order, that Dave Nelson, Dan Carr, Gregg Ginsteinner, and Ron Carlson are 4 of the best. Nate and Mike Monson are both high quality as well.

I'm not sure if i agree with you on Mike Monson
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby nadal11 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:39 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:I believe, in no particular order, that Dave Nelson, Dan Carr, Gregg Ginsteinner, and Ron Carlson are 4 of the best. Nate and Mike Monson are both high quality as well.

25 years....over 300 wins, pretty good resume in my book...
nadal11

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:52 pm

How many State Tourneys......he may be a good coach....but not up there with the likes of Nelson, Carr and Grinnsteiner
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBall dominator » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:58 pm

Mike Dwyer-Shiloh Christian 6 state tournaments 200+ wins probably closer to 250 no state championships but gets his team ready

And the obvious picks of greinsteinner, carr, nelson, I don't like naming coaches who have only had good etams and made it I do think craig demester was a good coach but is he still coaching in NR/S?? he puts a team together well.....what about the FW's coach hes not doing to shabby either but we'll see the cupboard runs dry if he can put something together.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nadal11 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:13 am

BBall dominator wrote:Mike Dwyer-Shiloh Christian 6 state tournaments 200+ wins probably closer to 250 no state championships but gets his team ready

And the obvious picks of greinsteinner, carr, nelson, I don't like naming coaches who have only had good etams and made it I do think craig demester was a good coach but is he still coaching in NR/S?? he puts a team together well.....what about the FW's coach hes not doing to shabby either but we'll see the cupboard runs dry if he can put something together.

demester left a couple of years ago I think, i dont even know who there coach is now.
nadal11

Postby BBall dominator » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:45 am

nadal11 wrote:
BBall dominator wrote:Mike Dwyer-Shiloh Christian 6 state tournaments 200+ wins probably closer to 250 no state championships but gets his team ready

And the obvious picks of greinsteinner, carr, nelson, I don't like naming coaches who have only had good etams and made it I do think craig demester was a good coach but is he still coaching in NR/S?? he puts a team together well.....what about the FW's coach hes not doing to shabby either but we'll see when the cupboard runs dry if he can put something together.

demester left a couple of years ago I think, i dont even know who there coach is now.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 am

The thing that does impress me about mike monson is that every year he seems to make regionals and wins at least ten games no matter how high the talent. PLus how big is midkota's enrollment it can't be very high.
PA42

Postby oldtimeballer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:47 am

Curt Herman from Tolna was one of the best coaches around. He could take a group of kids with just a little talent an make them into a TEAM. He would find a way to get the most out of each individual.
oldtimeballer

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 am

The Schwab wrote:

Mike Monson's the kid of the guy that, you could knock him out of bed at 3 AM and ask him to work on your game with you, and he'd be happy to help. He's never to "busy" for his players or program, and that extends past just basketball....also, as Horne said, his team is always competitive come tournament time, regardless of the skill level.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Dr.Love » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 am

The Schwab wrote:How many State Tourneys......he may be a good coach....but not up there with the likes of Nelson, Carr and Grinnsteiner

I'm sure the talent level wasn't the same.Mike is an outstanding fundamental coach and his teams do as well as the talent level allows. P.S. did he push you down in school also!
Dr.Love
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:23 am

Dr.Love wrote:
The Schwab wrote:How many State Tourneys......he may be a good coach....but not up there with the likes of Nelson, Carr and Grinnsteiner

I'm sure the talent level wasn't the same.Mike is an outstanding fundamental coach and his teams do as well as the talent level allows. P.S. did he push you down in school also!

Well....here we go again.....bring on the stupid comments.....all i'm saying is that he isn't in the same class as Nelson Carr and Grinsteinner.....he's a pretty good coach....and yes....he has had alot of talent in a few years.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:49 am

nadal11 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

That is an average of 12 wins a season which is right around.500 and he has no trips to state. Just because he got to 300 wins doesn't mean he's one of the best coaches if it took that long. Look at the others mentioned here. Dave Nelson since he's came to mayville has had 4 trips to the state tournament, two state championships and three state title game appearances. He also lead the girls to state one of the same years he brought the boys. Before this year started he had around 385+ wins in roughly 20+ years of coaching. If you want to talk about a fundamental coach, watch MPCG play in any year. Regardless of talent every team is disciplined and fundamentally sound. Monson is a good coach yes, but I wouldn't put him in the category of best coaches in the state.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nadal11 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

That is an average of 12 wins a season which is right around.500 and he has no trips to state. Just because he got to 300 wins doesn't mean he's one of the best coaches if it took that long. Look at the others mentioned here. Dave Nelson since he's came to mayville has had 4 trips to the state tournament, two state championships and three state title game appearances. He also lead the girls to state one of the same years he brought the boys. Before this year started he had around 385+ wins in roughly 20+ years of coaching. If you want to talk about a fundamental coach, watch MPCG play in any year. Regardless of talent every team is disciplined and fundamentally sound. Monson is a good coach yes, but I wouldn't put him in the category of best coaches in the state.

It also helps when you have a thousand kids to pick from, such as nelson does every year.
nadal11

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:19 pm

nadal11 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

It also helps when you have a thousand kids to pick from, such as nelson does every year.

he doesn't have a thousand....and he's a very good coach
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys