Best Coach In Class B Boys Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Coach In Class B Boys Basketball

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:25 pm

sennx wrote:Mr. doug Olson is the best class b boys bball coach in the state. even tho they've had a rough start he is helping to bring his players together as one unit. come district and regionals beulah boys basketball will be contending for championships

He is a very good coach too....i forgot about him when they went to class A......very good coach.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby mags » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 pm

as talked about with the 25 years 300 wins i am going to have to strongly agree with mr. 21 north border eagles its not that good when u only go 500 every year
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:35 pm

nadal11 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:I believe, in no particular order, that Dave Nelson, Dan Carr, Gregg Ginsteinner, and Ron Carlson are 4 of the best. Nate and Mike Monson are both high quality as well.

I'm not sure if i agree with you on Mike Monson

25 years....over 300 wins, pretty good resume in my book...

That is an average of 12 wins a season which is right around.500 and he has no trips to state. Just because he got to 300 wins doesn't mean he's one of the best coaches if it took that long. Look at the others mentioned here. Dave Nelson since he's came to mayville has had 4 trips to the state tournament, two state championships and three state title game appearances. He also lead the girls to state one of the same years he brought the boys. Before this year started he had around 385+ wins in roughly 20+ years of coaching. If you want to talk about a fundamental coach, watch MPCG play in any year. Regardless of talent every team is disciplined and fundamentally sound. Monson is a good coach yes, but I wouldn't put him in the category of best coaches in the state.

It also helps when you have a thousand kids to pick from, such as nelson does every year.

Yeah it sounds to me you are jealous of him. Sure he has had more players to chose from but the reason for the kids progression on the court is all Dave. You can always tell that Dave Nelson coached teams are ready to play, strong on defense and consistent at the free throw line. In 2005 he took a group of kids from hovering around .500 for most of the year to the state tournament with nothing flashy or complex. Just a system that works. It really doesn't say much about your character when you belittle a coach like Dave Nelson.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nadal11 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:12 pm

nadal11 wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:I believe, in no particular order, that Dave Nelson, Dan Carr, Gregg Ginsteinner, and Ron Carlson are 4 of the best. Nate and Mike Monson are both high quality as well.

I'm not sure if i agree with you on Mike Monson

25 years....over 300 wins, pretty good resume in my book...

That is an average of 12 wins a season which is right around.500 and he has no trips to state. Just because he got to 300 wins doesn't mean he's one of the best coaches if it took that long. Look at the others mentioned here. Dave Nelson since he's came to mayville has had 4 trips to the state tournament, two state championships and three state title game appearances. He also lead the girls to state one of the same years he brought the boys. Before this year started he had around 385+ wins in roughly 20+ years of coaching. If you want to talk about a fundamental coach, watch MPCG play in any year. Regardless of talent every team is disciplined and fundamentally sound. Monson is a good coach yes, but I wouldn't put him in the category of best coaches in the state.

It also helps when you have a thousand kids to pick from, such as nelson does every year.

Yeah it sounds to me you are jealous of him. Sure he has had more players to chose from but the reason for the kids progression on the court is all Dave. You can always tell that Dave Nelson coached teams are ready to play, strong on defense and consistent at the free throw line. In 2005 he took a group of kids from hovering around .500 for most of the year to the state tournament with nothing flashy or complex. Just a system that works. It really doesn't say much about your character when you belittle a coach like Dave Nelson.

I didn't belittle anybody! I have nothing against nelson, i'm just saying he has a lot of kids to chose from, and thats ALL! nothing against him or his team!
nadal11

Postby basketballer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Nelson is one of if not the best coach in class b basketball. I can't believe that it could be an arguement to if he is.
basketballer

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:43 pm

[/quote]
I didn't belittle anybody! I have nothing against nelson, i'm just saying he has a lot of kids to chose from, and thats ALL! nothing against him or his team![/quote]

just kinda seemed that way the way you worded it i guess
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Everyone has an opinion, they are probably all valid. For one I don't always equate wins/losses and tournament appearances with how great a coach is. It's about realizing potential as a player and a team, having fun, and growing and maturing as a person.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:55 pm

mags wrote:as talked about with the 25 years 300 wins i am going to have to strongly agree with mr. 21 north border eagles its not that good when u only go 500 every year

First off, I'll preface this by saying, as I've stated, for my money, Dave Nelson and Gregg Grinnsteiner are two of the best coaches in the state, with Nelson being the best in my opinion. That being said, Monson, with 306 wins through 23 years (leading into this year) is excellent. 306 wins over 23 years equates to just over 13 wins a year. Teams that lose out in the district typically play 22 games, teams that qualify for the regional play either 23 or 25 games. Lets say for arguement sake Monson's teams have averaged 14-11 record over the last 23 years. How many schools NEVER win 14 games, or if they do, its a career year? A career 600 winning % is nothing to scoff at. Bear in mind, when Midkota cooped in the early 90's, they STILL ONLY HAD about 100 kids in high school (now down below 50). Monson has coached against Carrington(200 kids in HS), New Rockford (100+ in HS) Harvey (150+) FW's (100+) Wells County (80+) for the last 20 years...the deck has usually been stacked against him. Doe it make Nelson, Carr, or Grinnstiener worse coaches because they've had solid numbers in their respective high schools (150+) for the bulk of their coaching careers? Of course not, those guys would be great coaches anywhere! But put Monson in a program with that number of kids, and I'll guarentee that he'd be at 375+ wins, have some state appearances, and be mentioned as one of the best. As NDsportsfan said, wins and loses doesn't always tell the story, and comparing coaches is often times like comparing apples and oranges.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Mr. Nelson actually got his 385 career win last night. MPCG does not even have the highest in the their own district. But that is a different case. The second best coach in Region 2 in my opinion is Cooter Symington. His team always is in the region tourney and usually makes a run at the region 2 championship game. What makes him such a good coach is that they might take their lumps early in the season but will always be there in the end.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:16 pm

This is my opinion but to me, this is how you decide who is a good coach or not. You don't judge it by the numbers of total wins, you don't judge it by the number of state appearances, and you don't judge it by the number of state championships. I judge by which coach has their team fighting for district and regional championships each year no matter the level of talent they have.

To me a good coach is a coach that takes a team that everyone before the season starts says "Wow there isn't a single all-district player on that team" and that coach has them in the regional championship games three months later.

Sure you can say Dave Nelson year in and year out has a lot of kids to choose from. That doesn't mean he has a handful of all-stars to choose from. You can say Grinnsteiner and Dwyer are only good because they "recruit" at private schools. Bullcrap they do. They take the players they have and turn them into a team.

A good coach can take a team with five good players a long way. A GREAT coach can take five average players the same distance.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:50 am

I will not disagree that gregg g. has to be a respected coach....but if you took greg amundson down to class B level he would probably have 15 straight titles.....grinsteinner has as many athletes from his town to choose from as amundson does...as the city populations are relatively close...so its hard to say how good he really is....trinity use to be class A...maybe if they were back up there then it would be a more fair field to judge his ability.....don't get me wrong he HAS to be an excellent coach, but his(Trinity) accomplishments will always be viewed a little differently outside the walls of Dickinson Trinity
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 am

baller01 wrote:This is my opinion but to me, this is how you decide who is a good coach or not. You don't judge it by the numbers of total wins, you don't judge it by the number of state appearances, and you don't judge it by the number of state championships. I judge by which coach has their team fighting for district and regional championships each year no matter the level of talent they have.

To me a good coach is a coach that takes a team that everyone before the season starts says "Wow there isn't a single all-district player on that team" and that coach has them in the regional championship games three months later.

Sure you can say Dave Nelson year in and year out has a lot of kids to choose from. That doesn't mean he has a handful of all-stars to choose from. You can say Grinnsteiner and Dwyer are only good because they "recruit" at private schools. Bullcrap they do. They take the players they have and turn them into a team.

A good coach can take a team with five good players a long way. A GREAT coach can take five average players the same distance.

I agree, well said. I think something also has to be said about a coach who has stuck it out at the same school for 20-25 years. That shows they are committed to that school and community as well as the kids they coach. Some coaches stay a couple years here and there and when they see the talent pool drying up a bit they move on. Then they do the same thing at another school.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:32 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:I will not disagree that gregg g. has to be a respected coach....but if you took greg amundson down to class B level he would probably have 15 straight titles.....grinsteinner has as many athletes from his town to choose from as amundson does...as the city populations are relatively close...so its hard to say how good he really is....trinity use to be class A...maybe if they were back up there then it would be a more fair field to judge his ability.....don't get me wrong he HAS to be an excellent coach, but his(Trinity) accomplishments will always be viewed a little differently outside the walls of Dickinson Trinity

Amundson has to beat 17 other teams to win state....Grinstienner has to beat 126 other teams. Amundson is a good coach but you have to look at the other numbers and not just the number of kids in the school....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:54 am

Bigpoppadog you don't understand. Trinity has 160 kids enrolled in grades nine through 12 and draw most of their kids from one religion. I read a book on controlling jealousy ahwile back that is great reading. I'd suggest you go to the library and check out the book called "Envy and Jealousy, Don't Let it Control You" by Rose DesRocher. I think it will help you......Another thing about Grinsteinner is that he is a superb teacher. I know that makes Trinity the happiest about him.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 am

Actually Grinnsteiner has to only beat the 14-15 teams in his region and 8 more teams at state.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:09 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Actually Grinnsteiner has to only beat the 14-15 teams in his region and 8 more teams at state.

what i was saying is that a 1 in 18 chance at winning state is A LOT easier then a 1 in 127 chance....if u wanna get technicall they only have to win 8 games all year (2 in districts, 3 in regionals, and 3 at state)
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:34 am

Scruffy - it's true that Trinity may only have 160 in grades 9-12. But don't you think those 160 are mostly the cream of the crop when it comes to students and athletes? What I'm saying is that the student population at Trinity is different than at a public school. Therefore the 160 that Grinnsteiner pulls his team from probably has better athletes in the pool than the 160 that the typical public school would have.

I'm not pointing this out to belittle what Grinnsteiner does as a coach - no way. I'm just thinking that he starts with a better talent pool than most Class B schools.

Thoughts?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby nadal11 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 am

Hinsa wrote:Scruffy - it's true that Trinity may only have 160 in grades 9-12. But don't you think those 160 are mostly the cream of the crop when it comes to students and athletes? What I'm saying is that the student population at Trinity is different than at a public school. Therefore the 160 that Grinnsteiner pulls his team from probably has better athletes in the pool than the 160 that the typical public school would have.

I'm not pointing this out to belittle what Grinnsteiner does as a coach - no way. I'm just thinking that he starts with a better talent pool than most Class B schools.

Thoughts?

totally agree with you on that Hinsa. much better talent to pick from.
nadal11

Postby scruffy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Not everyone in Dickinson is catholic! The dwindles our student pool substantially. The enrollment numbers show us with 160 kids. That is fact...of those 160 maybe 80 are girls and of the 80 remaining boys only forty or fifty are juniors or seniors. That is the number that the Trinity boys basketball program has to draw from. If it was as you say..then our girls program would be tearing up the region as well. THEY AREN'T..... :D A person doesn't always have to point fingers or find someone to blame if things don't go their way.....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 pm

scruffy wrote:Bigpoppadog you don't understand. Trinity has 160 kids enrolled in grades nine through 12 and draw most of their kids from one religion. I read a book on controlling jealousy ahwile back that is great reading. I'd suggest you go to the library and check out the book called "Envy and Jealousy, Don't Let it Control You" by Rose DesRocher. I think it will help you......Another thing about Grinsteinner is that he is a superb teacher. I know that makes Trinity the happiest about him.

I'll send you the link about all the rules and regulations Public Schools have to follow and you can see how many of those "private" schools don't have to follow...easy to put together good sports programs when a "private" school can require their students to participate in 3 extra-curriculars.....and also reject anybody they want.....You cannot reject the fact that they get the cream of the crop and only the cream of the crop.....while public schools have to take what they get because they are bound by laws that private schools do not....Am I jealous of their program...no, not really.....would I be jealous if the Mandan Braves came down to class b and cleaned house....not at all....Trinity has come down from Class A to Class B.....Beulah has come down....everybody was leary about them....but they are a public school....their enrollment is drawn from Beulah much smaller than Dickinson.....plus they cannot put on restrictions for their students like a private school can...if they did they would be sued immediately....
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:16 pm

scruffy wrote:Not everyone in Dickinson is catholic! The dwindles our student pool substantially. The enrollment numbers show us with 160 kids. That is fact...of those 160 maybe 80 are girls and of the 80 remaining boys only forty or fifty are juniors or seniors. That is the number that the Trinity boys basketball program has to draw from. If it was as you say..then our girls program would be tearing up the region as well. THEY AREN'T..... :D A person doesn't always have to point fingers or find someone to blame if things don't go their way.....

Find me a Class B program in the last 30 years that has dominated a decade in boys bb besides DICKINSON trinity? It's easy on your side to say everyone else is whining...heck your winning...you want to stay winning....but how about saying...we have proven how could we are on the Class B level...lets take it back to the Class A level and see....also out of your 160 students 100% participate in 3 extra-currics because they are required to to be ACCEPTED to the school.....public schools not even close....but we are getting away from how good of a coach he is....I think everyone will agree he is towards the top of the list....at the top of the list....no way....
bigpoppakdog

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:31 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:
scruffy wrote:Not everyone in Dickinson is catholic! The dwindles our student pool substantially. The enrollment numbers show us with 160 kids. That is fact...of those 160 maybe 80 are girls and of the 80 remaining boys only forty or fifty are juniors or seniors. That is the number that the Trinity boys basketball program has to draw from. If it was as you say..then our girls program would be tearing up the region as well. THEY AREN'T..... :D A person doesn't always have to point fingers or find someone to blame if things don't go their way.....

Find me a Class B program in the last 30 years that has dominated a decade in boys bb besides DICKINSON trinity? It's easy on your side to say everyone else is whining...heck your winning...you want to stay winning....but how about saying...we have proven how could we are on the Class B level...lets take it back to the Class A level and see....also out of your 160 students 100% participate in 3 extra-currics because they are required to to be ACCEPTED to the school.....public schools not even close....but we are getting away from how good of a coach he is....I think everyone will agree he is towards the top of the list....at the top of the list....no way....

Trinity nor any other private school REQUIRES students to participate in extra curricular activities. They do encourage their students to get involved in clubs, sports, and organization, but they do not require anything of the sort to be accepted.

From the Trinity Handbook:

Trinity is committed to the following policy: No child regardless of religious affiliation, whose parents desire to enroll him/her in a diocesan school, shall be denied admission to Trinity on the basis of race, color or national origin (Reference Diocesan Policy 5120 Right to a Catholic Education.) No student should apply unless he/she desires and intends to participate fully in the religious program of Trinity and to follow the rules and regulations.

Students wishing to enroll at Trinity should have all records and transcripts sent from the previous school attended, fill out official application forms, and fill out the official health form and order uniforms if needed.

5.2 Preference for Catholics
While Trinity admits students of many different religions to the school, it reserves the right to give preference in admission to Catholics. Trinity will utilize the following preference guidelines:
1. Siblings of students already enrolled
2. Catholics belonging to Dickinson Catholic parishes
3. Catholics belonging to other parishes
4. All others

5.3 Admission of Students with I-20 Status
Foreign students may be admitted in accordance with the existing requirements and regulations of the United States Department of Justice. Any student who is not a citizen or legal resident of the United States must have the legal documentation required by the immigration department to be admitted to Trinity. All students seeking admission under I-20 status must present an I-20 form. Once the appropriate official has signed the I-20 form, the school will make and keep a copy in the student’s file. Parents are responsible to file the original with the appropriate authorities.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby AAfootballfan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:05 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:

All you people on here saying Dickinson Trinity should be Class A OBVIOUSLY have no knowledge whatsoever of how that is determined in ND high school sports. Trinity YES, is a bigger Class B school and has had alot of success at that level. That being said you don't just toss them to the Class A level. I am from Watford City and dislike that school just as much as the next person when it comes to competing against them in sports! Give them the credit they deserve over the past few years for what they have done! You don't just go around and pick kids in Dickinson and say hey lets go win chamionships, it takes hard work and offseason dedication which they have down there! Don't complain about them winning, do someting about it and work harder to be better than them!
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:10 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:

In the last decade Trinity has 8 state tourneys, 4 state champ appearances, and 2 state titles right?? From 95-05 MayPort went to state about 7-8 times with 4 state titles I think. I know Leeds went to state 6 times in a 10yr stretch in the 90's (as well as 2 region champ losses), 3 state champ appearances, and 1 state title. Kenmare dominated back in the 50s-60s....something like 15 state tourney appearances but I don't know about state champs or champ games. So their have been other teams with similar success. I'm sure there are a couple more, too. What Trinity has done has been impressive and the coach and program deserve a ton of credit. I think they just get an unfair bias against them because of being private and formerly Class A. What happens at Trinity is no different than what happens at MayPort. They are both about the same size with similar success. Why doesn't everyone complain about them?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:12 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:

In the last decade Trinity has 8 state tourneys, 4 state champ appearances, and 2 state titles right?? From 95-05 MayPort went to state about 7-8 times with 4 state titles I think. I know Leeds went to state 6 times in a 10yr stretch in the 90's (as well as 2 region champ losses), 3 state champ appearances, and 1 state title. Kenmare dominated back in the 50s-60s....something like 15 state tourney appearances but I don't know about state champs or champ games. So their have been other teams with similar success. I'm sure there are a couple more, too. What Trinity has done has been impressive and the coach and program deserve a ton of credit. I think they just get an unfair bias against them because of being private and formerly Class A. What happens at Trinity is no different than what happens at MayPort. They are both about the same size with similar success. Why doesn't everyone complain about them?

Bottineau and Rugby used to be Class A too, but because they are not private no one complains about them either...Not even with Bottineau's girls team winning back to back state championships and being the favorite to win another.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys