Fifth NDAPSSA Class 'B' Boys Basketball Poll

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Fifth NDAPSSA Class 'B' Boys Basketball Poll

Postby bballuvr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Basketballer is right. Linton and other schools have done this for years. It is wierd in a way I understand.

But, when you break it down, it is very clear. You can only play 19 games as a varsity, period. LaMoure, like many other teams over the years, was invited to play a team like Hazen in Bismarck. They accepted. They had to clear a game and happen to choose Tappen, because Tappen is in their last year of playing basketball. Tappen AD was contacted and said he understood. Yes, the risk was losing district points because you must play your district teams. Simple logic. Risky, but simple.
The LaMoure assistant told me they had turned down invitations to go to Bismarck a couple times in the last 3-4 years, and decided to grab it this year. Good move. He said they contacted NDHSAA to be sure and clarify the ins and outs. Even though its been done by others, he said they wanted to be sure to do it correctly.
No big deal. They CAN"T count it on their varsity schedule because it was NOT a vasity game because they CAN"T play more than 19 games.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:11 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:well i personally don't think it should count on there overall record cause they had to at least give Tappen one good game of the yr! We will see why the played there JV against them on Thursday!!

hey it might be a close game right?? haha. yeah right huh

ha ha yeah no kidding I'm say LaMoure by 1 but a really good game :roll:

lol, after 1 minute of the first quarter maybe.
nadal11

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:13 pm

nadal11 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:well i personally don't think it should count on there overall record cause they had to at least give Tappen one good game of the yr! We will see why the played there JV against them on Thursday!!

I'm say score 87- 35 if there lucky
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:17 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:
nadal11 wrote:

I'm say score 87- 35 if there lucky

"lucky" key word there haha.
nadal11

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:18 pm

bballuvr wrote:Basketballer is right. Linton and other schools have done this for years. It is wierd in a way I understand.

But, when you break it down, it is very clear. You can only play 19 games as a varsity, period. LaMoure, like many other teams over the years, was invited to play a team like Hazen in Bismarck. They accepted. They had to clear a game and happen to choose Tappen, because Tappen is in their last year of playing basketball. Tappen AD was contacted and said he understood. Yes, the risk was losing district points because you must play your district teams. Simple logic. Risky, but simple.
The LaMoure assistant told me they had turned down invitations to go to Bismarck a couple times in the last 3-4 years, and decided to grab it this year. Good move. He said they contacted NDHSAA to be sure and clarify the ins and outs. Even though its been done by others, he said they wanted to be sure to do it correctly.
No big deal. They CAN"T count it on their varsity schedule because it was NOT a vasity game because they CAN"T play more than 19 games.

it should count on the overall record, if it counts as a district loss it counts as an overall loss, simple as that, the 19 gm shouldn't mater.
nadal11

Postby baller01 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:23 pm

I don't see why it is so hard to justify. Why would LaMoure want to send their varsity to Tappen, have the starters play maybe 10 minutes, and the JV play the rest anyways. It isn't going to cost them the #1 seed and even if it does, big deal. No matter what seed you are you have to go through all the teams anyways to win the district. It is smart coaching and completely legal. I don't even see why you guys think its wrong. It gives LaMoure a chance to play say Hazen instead of Tappen. Which game do you think is going to make LaMoure better? Exactly why LaMoure did it.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:24 pm

scc wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
bballuvr wrote:Basketballer is right. Linton and other schools have done this for years. It is wierd in a way I understand.

it should count on the overall record, if it counts as a district loss it counts as an overall loss, simple as that, the 19 gm shouldn't mater.

As I mentioned earlier, LaMoure does not get the district point(s) for that game. This isn't about district records; it's about district points.

aren't dist. tournaments paired by your district record, not by points...if its a tie you look at head to head.
nadal11

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 pm

scc wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
scc wrote:
nadal11 wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, LaMoure does not get the district point(s) for that game. This isn't about district records; it's about district points.

aren't dist. tournaments paired by your district record, not by points...if its a tie you look at head to head.

Pairings are based on points.

how does the points system work then?
nadal11

Postby baller01 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 pm

Oh, and by the way, NO WAY should Linton be receiving votes. They are the 4th best team in the district behind Strasburg, Steele, and South Border let alone one of the top teams in the state. I'm sure after this weekends game against Trinity and next weeks game verse Strasburg they will be 5-5 and will definately not be receiving anymore votes.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 pm

baller01 wrote:I don't see why it is so hard to justify. Why would LaMoure want to send their varsity to Tappen, have the starters play maybe 10 minutes, and the JV play the rest anyways. It isn't going to cost them the #1 seed and even if it does, big deal. No matter what seed you are you have to go through all the teams anyways to win the district. It is smart coaching and completely legal. I don't even see why you guys think its wrong. It gives LaMoure a chance to play say Hazen instead of Tappen. Which game do you think is going to make LaMoure better? Exactly why LaMoure did it.

I dont think it is wrong at all. Now that we have cleared up the points thing...Lamoure is just out the point from that game. The game that was picked up will help them more in the long run.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:30 pm

scc wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
scc wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
scc wrote:
nadal11 wrote:

Pairings are based on points.

how does the points system work then?

If each district game counts as one point, it's the same as district record. In some districts, some games are worth 2 points if the meeting occurs once, while other games are worth 1 point if they meet twice. It varies from district to district.

i guess i've never heard of "points" in district games, in the papers all i see is the standings but not the points.
nadal11

Postby bballuvr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:36 pm

NADA 11, no, it is as simple as this: you CAN'T play more than 19. It DOES matter. I repeat, you CAN'T play more than 19. It is very simple, it is really not subjective, it is objective. Don't like it, get on the agenda of the next NDHSAA meeting and complain to them
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Dr.Love » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 pm

basketballer wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
basketballer wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:So when district standings are printed out, Lamoure will be something like 3-1 in the district but 9-0 overall?? Kinda messed up. I think that's a little risky basically giving up a district win to play in a nonconference tourney. That leaves the chance that Lamoure could lose the #1 seed in that district.

Everyone in the district has a loss. Except maybe Tappen, but i expect them to get one loss in the district at least. LaMoure had a chance to play a top 5 (2) team, and they took the opportunity. It helps them in the long run to know how to play an elite team.

tappen has 2 dist. losses, to bcn and steele i think.

K one to BCN, but I think everyone else has a district loss. So it isn't riskiing the #1 seed if they run the table. But don't you see where i am coming from i dont know if anyone would reject a chance to play in that shootout except maybe Linton who already has a very tough schedule.

BCN is 3-0 in the district
Dr.Love
NDPreps Reserve

Postby poweraidman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:40 pm

bcn hasnt played lamoure, or kulm yet. They will lose both of those games
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:43 pm

scc wrote:
bballuvr wrote:NADA 11, no, it is as simple as this: you CAN'T play more than 19. It DOES matter. I repeat, you CAN'T play more than 19. It is very simple, it is really not subjective, it is objective. Don't like it, get on the agenda of the next NDHSAA meeting and complain to them

Just to put this issue to bed...

http://www.ndhsaa.com/athletics/basketb ... ations.pdf

Rule 6: "Total games played by any team shall not exceed nineteen regular season games..."

LaMoure has 20 games listed on their schedule, but the Tappen game doesn't count. It's that simple.

lamoure should be penalized for having more than 20 games on the schedule then, dont award them for losing a game that counts and not having it on the overall record.
nadal11

Postby Baller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 pm

nadal11 wrote:
scc wrote:
bballuvr wrote:NADA 11, no, it is as simple as this: you CAN'T play more than 19. It DOES matter. I repeat, you CAN'T play more than 19. It is very simple, it is really not subjective, it is objective. Don't like it, get on the agenda of the next NDHSAA meeting and complain to them

Rule 6: "Total games played by any team shall not exceed nineteen regular season games..."

LaMoure has 20 games listed on their schedule, but the Tappen game doesn't count. It's that simple.

lamoure should be penalized for having more than 20 games on the schedule then, dont award them for losing a game that counts and not having it on the overall record.

They did NOT play 20 games...the JV played one. 20 - 1 = 19
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Baller wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
scc wrote:

the schedule has 20. you get my point though
nadal11

Postby poweraidman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 pm

drop the subject, nothing you can do about it its perfectly legal.
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:48 pm

nadal11 wrote:
Baller wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
scc wrote:

the schedule has 20. you get my point though

You can schedule as many as you want...They rule says that no team can PLAY in excess of 19 games.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:49 pm

poweraidman wrote:drop the subject, nothing you can do about it its perfectly legal.

shouldn't be, just an excuse not to play a bad team.
nadal11

Postby Stromer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:51 pm

nadal11 wrote:i guess i've never heard of "points" in district games, in the papers all i see is the standings but not the points.

They usually have the points in a second set of records. Next to a team in district 8 for example, it will have a district record of 7-0 and then a point record of 14-0 since the games are worth 2 points. If some games are worth 1 points, then this also is shown.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:52 pm

scc wrote:Are there any thoughts on who might be able to beat Watford City? They seem to be cruising right now.

parshal, hazen, dickinson trinity take your pick.
nadal11

Postby bballuvr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:57 pm

NADA, whats up with the anti-LaMoure bias. This has been done MANY MANY times. Give it a rest.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nadal11 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:59 pm

bballuvr wrote:NADA, whats up with the anti-LaMoure bias. This has been done MANY MANY times. Give it a rest.

nothing against lamoure, they have an awsome team! but the rule just doesn't make sense and it should be thrown away that's all.
nadal11

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 am

nadal11 wrote:
bballuvr wrote:NADA, whats up with the anti-LaMoure bias. This has been done MANY MANY times. Give it a rest.

nothing against lamoure, they have an awsome team! but the rule just doesn't make sense and it should be thrown away that's all.

Amen!
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys