REGION 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

REGION 2

Postby Hinsa » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:43 pm

Starting a topic for Region 2.

MPCG's effort against Grafton speaks volumes about the importance of playing good defense and controlling tempo. MPCG is below .500 so far yet stayed with Grafton with good defense.

North Border looks like they can play defense when they need to - witness holding Grafton to 42 points - and Park River can control tempo with defense as well.

Dakota Prairie and Grafton have great offensive weapons but they have to show they can score against great defense and play defense themselves as well.

Moral of the story: play defense or go home.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Re: REGION 2

Postby cubsfan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:46 pm

The region is wide open. There is no definitive favorite right now. I personally thought Grafton would blow MPCG out but that didn't happen. MPCG has already shown signs of improvement since the first game. But I think it shows something on Grafton Holding North Border to 48. Park River is off to a good start and have a lot of athletic ability. Dakota Prairie is off to an alright start.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EagleFan#5 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:40 pm

I haven't had a chance to see Grafton yet but I have talked with people from Langdon and North Border and they both felt that the spoilers didn't meat the hype out there. As for other teams in Region 2 I think North Border, MPCG, and Dakota Prairie will all be competitors in Feb-Mar which is when it counts anyhow
EagleFan#5

Postby toughregion2 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:21 pm

Give Grafton some time they will be a better team come tourney time. As far as Grafton holding North Border to 48 and North Border holding Grafton to 42 points its really meaningless. Go look in the books of past games of these two teams they are all lower scoring defensive battles. HN and DP as well as Thompson will be all contenders with North Border Grafton and possibly PR im still not convinced with PR
toughregion2

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Don't overlook Hillsboro....they started slow, but are still finding their groove due to players returning from injury. They'll play good defense, keep scores in the low fourties, and will win some games because of it. Are they region contenders? I don't think so, but they'll win a few games they aren't expected to, and likely clip a higher seeded team at some point in time in the district.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:01 am

Thompson at Hillsboro on Thursday, 1/3 should be a good measuring stick game. Thompson is still getting used to life without all those seniors that graduated last year. Hillsboro has all but one back from football injuries now.

Game should say something about who is or isn't ready to contend in the region.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby toughregion2 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:59 am

Thompson also travels to Pembina on Friday to take on North Border

should be a good game !!
toughregion2

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 am

IMHO, I'd be surprised if Thompson can stay with NB in Pembina. I hope the Tommies can do it, but I suspect that NB will win comfortably, by a dozen or more.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby toughregion2 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:09 pm

Im not sure what to expect in that game. Thompson plays their traditional 1/2 court trap and Graftons press caused some problems. I would guess Cooter would of addressed the press issues over the holiday break, but if not Thompson could cause some problems. Pembina is a shooters gym so if Thompson gets hot it could be there in the end. I looked at North Borders schedule its a tough one. They have Munich, Landgon, Leeds, Grafton, Cavalier twice, 2 Tough Minnesota teams KIttson Co, and Stephen-Argyle with Park River to end the season. They should be tested come tourney time thats for sure alot of Physical teams left to play lets see if they can stay healthy in that strech.
toughregion2

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:19 pm

Interesting to know that Thompson is still playing their trap. I would imagine that is still effective against weaker ballhandling teams but without the athletes they've had in the past I don't think it will be as effective against better teams. The Tommies aren't quite as long-armed and athletic this year. They could prove me wrong, though.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:00 pm

toughregion2 wrote:Im not sure what to expect in that game. Thompson plays their traditional 1/2 court trap and Graftons press caused some problems. I would guess Cooter would of addressed the press issues over the holiday break, but if not Thompson could cause some problems. Pembina is a shooters gym so if Thompson gets hot it could be there in the end. I looked at North Borders schedule its a tough one. They have Munich, Landgon, Leeds, Grafton, Cavalier twice, 2 Tough Minnesota teams KIttson Co, and Stephen-Argyle with Park River to end the season. They should be tested come tourney time thats for sure alot of Physical teams left to play lets see if they can stay healthy in that strech.

YES! Pembina IS a shooters gym. :wink:
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:34 pm

I don't understand why anyone was hyped up about Grafton in the first place. Other than Klinskie, who do they have that had proven themselves? I was shocked when i saw the first polls. Any big man is good, but for them to really excel and take over games, they need someone to get them the ball consistently. I do feel that Grafton will be tough come tourney time, but starting out the season they were overrated.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toughregion2 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:52 am

WoW last night games asks some questions. Is larimore for real as they Knocked off a tough Hatton Northwood team and i also see Thompson had some trouble with hillsboro Looks like the south distric is wide open this year
toughregion2

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:15 pm

toughregion2 wrote:WoW last night games asks some questions. Is larimore for real as they Knocked off a tough Hatton Northwood team and i also see Thompson had some trouble with hillsboro Looks like the south distric is wide open this year

What was the score to the Larimore/Hatton-Northwood game?
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:20 pm

65-58, Larimore over Hatton-Northwood in OT.

Thompson beat Hillsboro 60-55; was a one point game with one minute to go.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:38 pm

toughregion2 wrote:WoW last night games asks some questions. Is larimore for real as they Knocked off a tough Hatton Northwood team and i also see Thompson had some trouble with hillsboro Looks like the south distric is wide open this year

I agree - the south district is wide open. 7 of the 8 teams have legitimate shots at making the regional. I still think DP has the talent to win the district, but after that, throw 'em in a hat and pick 'em. The only one without a realistic chance is Central Valley, simply because they are so young and so small.

I see DP continuing to improve as they continue to get used to each other.

Hillsboro should improve when everyone gets back - that should be next week.

Larimore should continue to improve as well as Hager gets his game back.

May-Port-CG will improve as their young team gets more game experience.

GCC will play better the more wins they get - confidence does wonders.

Thompson gets a lot of stuff off their press and pressure gets less and less effective as the year goes on. Teams get better at handling pressure as the season progresses. They may - I said may - level off at some point.

H-N may level off as well, only because they have veteran leadership in Strand and Wallace who already have the Thunder playing very well. However, they have lots of new faces in new spots so they may have an upside too. Who knows.

Add it all up and it equals wide open.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby halibut » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:31 pm

District 3 is wide open right now. It all started before christmas when HN proved they could play with DP who was suppose to be the powerhouse. Thompson is the sleeper I think. They are playing tough basketball. I wanted to make it over to the Hillsboro vs. Thompson game and the score found me very disappointed in not attending. I agree with Hinsa that all 7 teams have a shot at filling in those spots for the Region tournament. I don't know what to think of Larimore at this point though? They were just getting killed to start the year and then had an impressive showing in the Park River tournament and then beat HN. If anyone had to predict right now, what's the rankings after the district tournament?
halibut
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PA42 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:29 pm

I see the rankings after district like this
1. Hatton-Northwood
2. Hillsboro
3. Dakota Prairie
4. Larimore
5. Mayville
6. Thompson
7. Griggs County Central
8. Central Valley
PA42

Postby Hinsa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:08 pm

As of today I'd predict this finish:

1. DP
2. HN
3. Hillsboro
4. Thompson
5. Larimore
6. MPCG
7. GCC
8. CV

BUT, it would not surprise me if Larimore, MPCG, or GCC sneaks into the regional. I think DP and HN WILL make the regional. Hillsboro and Thompson could easily get bumped from below.

It is still early and there is still much to learn about these teams.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:00 am

I'd say DP and HN are good bets to make the regions. I'd say Hillsboro, Thompson, Larimore, and MPCG are neck and neck. I'd lean towards Hillsboro, because of their returning talent, and MPCG, because of coach Nelson. I don't believe GCC or CV can make the regionals.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:10 am

I think Dakota Praire will win the regular season but I think that someone may beat them in the district tourney. THere are about four or five teams that are could very well get the last two spots for regionals. I do think that that Gcc could make regionals. They have a very balanced scoring attack and have a good point guard from what I understand. BIll Engel always get his guys to play their butts off. Although Central Valley probably won't make regionals they are beginning to play better basketball. I can see them competing with the likes of Mpcg, Griggs, and even Hillsboro because of size.
PA42

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:20 am

Engels guys will bust it, not doutb. He's a good coach, his kids always play hard. I just don't see his team winning 2 games in the district tourney. They could surely spring 1 upset, but I don't see two happening. If so, more power to them, Engels a class act, and looking at his last couple years, they deserve to have some success.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby halibut » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:31 am

The only teams I think are a lock for the regional tournament are North Border, Grafton, Park River and Dakota Prairie. Other than that, 1 spot is wide open in District 4, which i believe will be taken by Cavalier, and 3 spots in District 3. And if i had to take a stab i'd say Larimore, Hatton-Northwood and Thompson with those spots. But like i said, none of those are locks. And I would have to say, a repeat state apperance by North Border. It's way too early to be talkin about this already though...
halibut
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:11 am

I think Thompson will find a way to lose, but talent wise, they should advance. They lost everyone off last years team, they're JV was I believe 18-0, with big, athletic kids.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby champs0607 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:56 pm

In district 3 DP will win the championship against hatton. Thompson and mayville will play for 3rd and 4th and make it to the regionals. In district 4 the top 4 spots r wide open between grafton, North Border, Park river, and Cavalier. North Border beat grafton, Grafton and Cavalier both beat a very good Park River team. Cavalier will prove if they r for real next friday against North Border.
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys