REGION 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: REGION 2

Postby playa10 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Another big night in District 3. DP beat Hillsboro although it was closer than I thought it would be. Thompson crushed CV which was no surprise. Larimore lost a non-conference game and MPCG blew out GCC in the fourth to win by 11....outscored them 19-5 in the fourth. So I want thoughts/predictions on tonights games.

MPCG @ Thompson.........Thompson won the first time around by 10 or 11
Hillsboro @ H-N .............H-N got up 20-4 on them the first game, won by 17 or 18
GCC @ Carrington...........Non-conference game that doesn't mean much

I think Thompson will play well and win by double digits, the same with H-N against a depleted Hillsboro team. GCC is a team I don't know much about, but I think if they play hard they could beat anyone.
playa10

Postby Hinsa » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:30 am

Thompson whooped up on MPCG. I really believe the Tommies are going to be hard to beat in the district tournament. Their full court pressure and intensity is really carrying them. If they continue to play this well and DP doesn't start playing with some passion, Thompson will win the district.

Hillsboro surprised HN at Hatton. Grothmann was able to play most of the game which really makes a difference for the Burros. Plus they held Benjamin Strand to single digits in scoring. Wallace is an absolute mule in the paint on offense. Both Horne and Meyer fouled out for Hillsboro but the Burros still were able to hang on and win - made just enough free throws to hang on.

I think the District 3 tournament is going to be an absolute scramble. I'd put Thompson in the favorites role right now.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby halibut » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:01 am

Right when you think district 3 couldn't get anymore tangled up, Hillsboro knocks off HN on the road. It's not even worth takin a stab at who is going to end up with what seeding. It seriously has come down to the last and final week which is next week. And I agree with you Hinsa, Thompson is looking tough going into districts
halibut
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:25 pm

It looks like the #1 and #2 seed for the tourney is going to come down to the last game with Dp traveling to Thompson. As far as numbers 3-6 who knows what could happen. Right now as for the four teams i pick to come out of the district are #1 DP, #2 Thompson, #3 Larimore #4 H-N.
Yes H-N did just loose to hillsboro but i think come tourney tikme this is how it will end up to be, just my predictions...
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby hammer63 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:27 pm

nc I agree with your predictions that is most likely how it will end up, but you never know. It will be interesting to see DP play Thompson I believe that game is next saturday and I would love to be there it's in Thompson right? well anyway I think even if Thompson wins and gets the number one seed DP will beat them in the district tourney It really doesn't matter who's one or two because the second game will be against North Border or Grafton which are almost equally tough teams. I just wouldn't want to be the three or four because thats almost guarnteed elimination after the first round of regions. I think Thompson would match up better against North Border and DP matches up with both pretty well I am sure hoping for an upset in regions though GO DISTRICT 3!!!!
hammer63

Postby Hinsa » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:38 pm

I'm not so ready to agree with Larimore and HN getting in the regional. Larimore is 7-10 right now for a reason - they just aren't consistent for whatever reason. HN really misses Huus - his ability to slash in from the wing. Hillsboro is beat up - who knows if they'll be at full strength by district time. MPCG just can't seem to get enough offense when they need it.

What I'm saying is that all 4 of these teams have weaknesses. Throw 'em in a hat and see who comes tumbling out at #3 and #4.

As for Griggs, they may have one upset in them, but I don't think they can pull off 2 upsets which is what they would need to do to get in the regional.

Here's what I see as the keys for each of these teams:

Larimore - Hager has to score in high double figures and lead that team - to me he's the glue of that team. When he plays well, they are tough.
HN - Ben Strand has to score double figures, especially with Huus out. Wallace is going to get his every night; Ben needs to support Wallace with some strong offense of his own - he's certainly capable of doing it.
Hillsboro - they must get balanced scoring. When Horne and/or Meyer has to try to carry that team, they are in trouble. And they must get healthy.
MPCG - Kyllo and Dale need to score. Both are capable of it and they need to find a way to get in double figures - both of them consistently.

Thoughts?
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby prosser5 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:28 pm

When we play good it is not just because of one player. If I would say so myself I'd say that Cole Delorme and Broc Trosen have been very important to our team this year. Karl has had injury problems this year and hasn't quite been himself. He is just starting to play like himself again and getting his quickness back. But we play some good ball when Cole and Broc are playing well. I agree that we are very inconstistant, we just cant seem to keep it rolling probably because of our lack of experience.

This district is so crazy right now. You have no idea what to expect because of how even the teams are. It is going to be a lot of fun to play in districts. Im going to say Dp and Thompson for #1 and #2 and Larimore and H-N for #3 and #4. That is just a guess though, there is no telling what is going to happen come tourney time. Should be quite a show!
prosser5

Postby blue steel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:05 am

Hinsa i would have to add that for Mayville to knock some teams off they will also need Olson to score big. And i think they could beat some teams the way the they play defense. They have also played a couple times at MSU.
blue steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:30 am

Good point Blue Steel. Olson needs to knock down the shots when he gets them. And if they can keep games in the 30s or low 40s, they have a great chance to win.

You are wise beyond your years, oh Steely one! :wink:
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:47 pm

DP, Thompson, Hillsboro, and Larimore will make it out of regions.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:00 pm

DP, Hillsboro, GCC, and Hatton-Northwood
PA42

Postby playa10 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Just seeing if I understand this correctly...you expect DP, Hillsboro, GCC, and H-N to make the regional tournament? This after Thompson just crushed Hillsboro by 23 this week and beat Hillsboro by 5 at their place. And GCC lost to Mayville by 11 earlier this week also? I'm a big believer in how you're playing down the stretch is an indicator of how you will do in the playoffs, and that is in any sport at any level. I am not disputing the fact that Hillsboro could/should be a top four team, I just don't see how you can leave a team like Thompson out of the top four in the district and put a team like GCC in.
playa10

Postby Hinsa » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:48 am

Leaving Thompson out of a list of region qualifiers might be hinting at their propensity for folding come tournament time in recent years. However, I think they break through this year and earn one of the top seeds from District 3. This year's edition of the Tommies just seems to have figured out the team concept which will help them avoid an "el foldo" in the tournaments.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:19 am

The reason I left thompson off the list has nothing to do with the fact that they have tanked in years before. This is a completely different team who plays well togeth plays, plays good pressure defense, and scores well in transition. I just feel that whoever matches up with them will figure how to handle their pressure. I honestly respect these kids for playing together and playing good team ball I just don't know how they will matchup with teams that are prepared for their defense.
PA42

Postby toughregion2 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:21 am

i do believe there is a district 3 post to talk about district 3
toughregion2

Postby playa10 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:18 pm

I agree that over time a team will be able to prepare for pressure that is put on by a team. However, that means a team playing another team like Thompson who likes to put the pressure on should do better the second and third time around during the season. However, Hillsboro lost by 5 at home the first time, lost by 23 the second time. Mayville lost by 10 the first time, 19 the second time. H-N beat them by 3 and lost by 10 the second time. Central Valley (albeit it is central valley) they lost by 29 the first time, 45 the second time. Larimore lost by 10 the first time, and 15 the second time (although it was up to 30 at one point). Just pointing out some figures to hear some conversation about if people think it is an advantage playing a team three times (as these teams could end up doing) or if it is a disadvantage having to play a team three teams. So far Thompson has handled every team they played for the second time by a larger margin than when they played the first time.
playa10

Postby Hinsa » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:37 pm

Toughregion2 - yes, there is a topic for District 3, but District 3 is part of region 2 so I don't see a conflict.

Playa10 - Good homework on Thompson. Interesting how they have improved in second meetings. I will say this about the Thompson-Hillsboro game - the Burros were playing with one guy with one hand, one guy who played one quarter and then his back gave out, and one guy who sprained his ankle in the second quarter and didn't return. Thus the 23 point beatdown. Not dissing the Tommies at all. I think they can do some damage in the region.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:49 pm

I think you guys both make great points. your making me realize how bad my picks are. I will not turn my back on MPCG either they have a chance to make regionals if they can start scoring in transition. I am just really interested in the whole tournament I can honestly see this tournament going several different ways.
PA42

Postby playa10 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Horne, I wasn't trying to absolutely rip your picks either, everyone is entitled to their own opinion about how things will turn out this year in District 3. I also agree that it will be an exciting tournament this year and that it could turn out several different ways. Once some teams get healthy such as Hillsboro, or if others play more consistently like H-N or Larimore, or if a team can find some ways to generate offense like Mayville, they will all be tough people to play. Outside of CV I don't see there being an easy game (no offense to them, they are just a year or two away). So I wouldn't say your picks were terrible, I was just trying to understand them better and provide some information that may have opened some eyes was all.
playa10

Postby toughregion2 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Hopefully distric 3 can pull it together before regions, otherwise we could see a district 4 sweep the first day.
toughregion2

Postby vizio » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:22 pm

District 4 will make the sweep..
vizio

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:44 pm

vizio wrote:District 4 will make the sweep..

I don't know if I can see a District 4 sweep this year unless Dakota Prairie gets upset in Districts and draws Grafton or North Border in the first round. A match-up with Park River would be a good game but I believe the Aggies would come up short. Even if that doesn't happen I think Cavaliers youth is going to be a factor come tournament time. I'm not taking anything away from the Tornadoes I think they have a nice team on the rise but tournament experience is a big factor if you want to be successful in the post-season.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby playa10 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Just a couple of things regarding the sweep. I think it is safe to say that NB and Grafton are a good bet to move out of the first round of regionals. DP is also a good bet to make it out unless they run into one of the two previous teams. I also know that both Hillsboro and Thompson already beat Cavalier once and can't see Cavalier and their young team beating some more experienced teams like Hillsboro, Thompson, DP, or even H-N if they were to match up in the first round. I don't know much about Park River though, have only seen some scores from District 4. Any information on them?
playa10

Postby toughregion2 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:10 pm

i think cavalier just thumped H-N
toughregion2

Postby football_lives_on » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:45 pm

toughregion2 wrote:i think cavalier just thumped H-N

good point cavalier did just beat H-N and they have also beaten Park River
football_lives_on
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext