REGION 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: REGION 2

Postby playa10 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks for the updates, now I know where to find them myself. I see Thompson plays DP at the end of the year...that sets up to be a good showdown that could decide the conference champ and district #1 seed if both continue to play well up until that point. Who do you think would win that battle? I see it being a very good and tightly contested game.
playa10

Postby nc » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 am

I think dp will come out on this one because thompson doesnt have the height or leadership to beat dp. If nichols is healthy by the time they play I think thompson wont beat dp.
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby notalent » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:25 am

it's a toss up right now, but i think DP will get #1, with Thompson in the #2-3 spot, H-N #2-3, Larimore and Hillsboro rounding out the top 5. I see thompson getting upset and they will not make it to region...and if they do, they will lose in the first round...it's thompson we are talking about after all. Their shot came and gone in '02 and '06, '07. I see Grafton, DP, and NB up for the title...MPCG could pull an upset in districts with Coach Nelson.
notalent

Postby playa10 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 am

From what I am seeing Park River may be better than people are giving them credit for, as they only lost to Grafton by 2. I didn't see the game, am basing it off the score only. Cavalier also beat H-N last night by 2, so District 4 could be very competitive come tournament time, even though I know NB and Grafton are heavy favorites to make the region title game. DP is still getting wins here and there and Thompson pummeled Hillsboro by 23. Heard they just couldn't handle Thompson all over the court, but it helps that Olsen broke his right hand, yet still played on it from what I heard. I see the region shaping up like this
District 3
DP
Thompson
Larimore
H-N

District 4
NB
Grafton
Park River
Cavalier
These are in no particular order, just who I think will make the regional. Any thoughts on these picks, and how it might shake down from there?
playa10

Postby MT_20 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:52 am

playa10 wrote:From what I am seeing Park River may be better than people are giving them credit for, as they only lost to Grafton by 2. I didn't see the game, am basing it off the score only. Cavalier also beat H-N last night by 2, so District 4 could be very competitive come tournament time, even though I know NB and Grafton are heavy favorites to make the region title game. DP is still getting wins here and there and Thompson pummeled Hillsboro by 23. Heard they just couldn't handle Thompson all over the court, but it helps that Olsen broke his right hand, yet still played on it from what I heard. I see the region shaping up like this
District 3
DP
Thompson
Larimore
H-N

District 4
NB
Grafton
Park River
Cavalier
These are in no particular order, just who I think will make the regional. Any thoughts on these picks, and how it might shake down from there?

I think that it will be in order
District 3
1. DP (DP in a dog fight with Thompson)
2. Thompson
3. Larimore
4. Hillsboro or Hatton/Northwood (depends if staskgavige comes back wats wrong with him he didn't play against cavalier last nite???)
District 4
1. Grafton
2.North Border
3.Cavalier
4. Park River
1-4 in district four is a toss up and 1-6 in in district three are all capable of winning it but i think it could shape up to be one of the most competitive regional ever.
“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”
--Paul "Bear" Bryant
MT_20
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:28 pm

Hatton-Northwood is missing some names in the box score - Huus and Staskivige that I noticed. What's going on, illness? Injuries?

Is Nichols from DP looking like he's back to full speed yet?

Hillsboro is very beat up right now. Olsen has a broken hand (his shooting hand), Grothmann tried to play last night but couldn't go after the first quarter (back injury), and Mayo injured an ankle last night. Let's hope they can get healthy by district time to make a competitive run.

And Thompson is playing VERY well together right now. They look like they are enjoying the game and playing solid, team basketball. This year's Tommies are outplaying last year's edition, which in my opinion was a more talented group. That's not a knock on this year's team, it's a compliment to how they have figured out how to play together.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby notalent » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:31 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:I'd say DP and HN are good bets to make the regions. I'd say Hillsboro, Thompson, Larimore, and MPCG are neck and neck. I'd lean towards Hillsboro, because of their returning talent, and MPCG, because of coach Nelson. I don't believe GCC or CV can make the regionals.

CV couldn't be an 8th grade team
notalent

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:35 pm

OK notalent, now you've lost all credibility with me. Way to step on a team when they are down. The CV kids are great kids. They are just young - playing sophomores and freshmen and two seniors that have had little playing time before this year. They play hard, they work hard, they do what they can.

Great post, notalent. Wait 'til your team gets caught in a reload. Then we can take potshots at your team.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby notalent » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:39 pm

never been caught in reload...i didn't mean to stomp on a team either....funny thing is i talk to their own fans and they tell the people they know on the opposing team that they don't even have to show up tonight...now that's bad hearing it from your own parents and fans
notalent

Postby notalent » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:49 pm

CV has been reloading for about 15 years now....
notalent

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:50 pm

It's not uncommon for parents and fans of a team that is down to downplay their chances. It's how they deal with reality. But at the same time, if you tell those same parents and fans that they couldn't beat an 8th grade team, I think the hair on the back of their neck would rise and they would get red in the face. It's OK to talk down your own team, but for an outsider to do it - you'll have a fight no your hands.

Just keep your potshots to yourself. This is supposed to be a positive forum, not a place where we see who can come up with the most clever or hurtful slam.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby notalent » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:55 pm

no slams...just truth....oh and we do talk about the "8th grader" thing with their own parents....
notalent

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 pm

There's a lot of things I talk about privately that I wouldn't post on this board. And I say things I don't mean in the heat of the moment when I'm frustrated that I wouldn't post on this board. And what you're telling me is that you've talked to every parent of every player on the CV team and told them they couldn't beat an 8th grade team, just like you said it in your post. And they all agreed with you.....I think not.

You just don't get it do you. This is a public forum and statements you might make privately in one context can be extremely hurtful in a public forum. What possible good does it do to come on this forum and say something like that about a team that is struggling through a rebuild like CV is?
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby shooter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:21 pm

I think "notalent" forgot to take his midol this morning because he has just been ripping kids and teams in all his posts today. Man, they're just kids trying to enjoy life and sports. You may be just a kid too, I don't know, but don't be ripping on CV for being young, inexperienced, and not that good right now. Give them credit for not being the kids that would just as soon sit on their rear and play a video game all day and actually trying to achieve something.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Amen, Shooter, Amen.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby playa10 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:50 pm

In response to an earlier post I had heard that Huus from H-N hurt/broke his arm while playing Thompson and that Staskevig (I'm sure spelling is wrong) but had heard he had been out and also missed the game against Thompson. I have seen Nichols scoring in the paper for DP, but I don't know how up to speed he is just yet. Thompson is playing quite well as they thumped the Burros, no matter how banged up they may be, it is still an impressive home win. The tough thing is for Hillsboro is the finish with H-N, a team that jumped out to a 20-4 lead on them the first time a round, and two point games with DP and Larimore. Heard rumor of a big roster shakeup in MPCG because the guys who were up there weren't getting the job done, but that could just be rumor. As far as CV, if a team doesn't come out ready to play I think they can hang with them. I have seen some competitive first half scores where they have tailed off in the second half. But their kids never give up from what I have seen/heard which is admirable. This is shaping up to be a heck of a district 3 tournament to be held in Mayville. I'm really excited to see DP play Thompson in the last game of the year to potentially decide the regular season conference champion. The way they have been playing, I can see them giving DP a run for their money, especially since I have heard DP's defense can be suspect at times...
playa10

Postby notalent » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm

shooter wrote:I think "notalent" forgot to take his midol this morning because he has just been ripping kids and teams in all his posts today. Man, they're just kids trying to enjoy life and sports. You may be just a kid too, I don't know, but don't be ripping on CV for being young, inexperienced, and not that good right now. Give them credit for not being the kids that would just as soon sit on their rear and play a video game all day and actually trying to achieve something.

i never said i talked to every parent of every player, just a handful, and if they are soo bad and know it, why don't they get off their rears and practice and instead of playin video games...i'm sure they do alot of practicing in the offseason....one thing to look foward to is how much their fball team will progress next year...i think they'll be able to do some damage next year.
notalent

Postby notalent » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:40 pm

where's Carpenter lookin to go to school next year?
notalent

Postby number_one_fan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:21 pm

Don't be surprised if Fordville-Lankin takes one of those top four spots in the district tournament. They are a great team with lots of talent. They have been getting better throughout the whole season. I think they are going to peak at just the right time and may pull off an upset in the district.
number_one_fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby playa10 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:21 pm

Team Conference Points Overall
Thompson 7 - 1 7 - 1 11 - 4
Dakota Prairie 5 - 1 7 - 1 11 - 3
Larimore 5 - 4 7 - 4 7 - 9
Griggs County Central 3 - 3 4 - 4 6 - 9
Hillsboro 4 - 4 4 - 5 10 - 5
Hatton-Northwood 4 - 4 4 - 5 8 - 7
May-Port CG 3 - 5 3 - 5 4 - 10
Central Valley 0 - 9 0 - 11 0 - 16

This is updated as of last night in the conference. I was just noticing some things. Did Hillsboro just not play anyone in the non-conference or is District 3 just that good? They are 6-1 outside of the district and only 4-4 within it? I'm just wondering what the deal is there. I know Thompson traveled to North Border, to Grafton, to Kindred, to Northern Cass, and to Stephen-Argyle plus Cavalier at home to play some of their non-conference games this year which explains their 4-3 mark outside the district. Those were just a few of the bigger discrepencies I noticed looking at the schedule. Larimore must have either struggled early also, or played a pretty tough non-conference schedule also going 5-4 in district play but 2-5 in non-conference games. Just some food for thought to get some people thinking and talking.
playa10

Postby playa10 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:23 pm

I agree with you number one fan, I saw that F-L kept Hillsboro pretty close and only lost by 7 or 9 or something like that recently. Never know what will happen come district play. What do you think about Grafton getting to play every post-season game on their own court? Don't you think that the region is better off played at a Neutral site such as the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center in GF?
playa10

Postby automatic99 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 pm

playa10 wrote:I agree with you number one fan, I saw that F-L kept Hillsboro pretty close and only lost by 7 or 9 or something like that recently. Never know what will happen come district play. What do you think about Grafton getting to play every post-season game on their own court? Don't you think that the region is better off played at a Neutral site such as the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center in GF?

Let the regional location talk go for this year. It's going to be in Grafton this year and that's that. I'm sure it will be back at the Betty next year. Let's move on.
automatic99
NDPreps Starter

Postby playa10 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:44 pm

Any thoughts on tonight's games (Thursday 2-7) in District 3? Who will win? Who will have a big night indivually? Who needs to win more?

Central Valley at Thompson
Dakota Prairie at Hillsboro
Griggs Country at MPCG
Larimore at Lakota
H-N off
playa10

Postby hammer63 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Thompson Dakota Prairie MPCG and Larimore in a close one with Lakota. DP and Thompson will win big Griggs could upset MPCG depending on how mayville plays.
hammer63

Postby adriana » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:02 pm

automatic99 wrote:
playa10 wrote:I agree with you number one fan, I saw that F-L kept Hillsboro pretty close and only lost by 7 or 9 or something like that recently. Never know what will happen come district play. What do you think about Grafton getting to play every post-season game on their own court? Don't you think that the region is better off played at a Neutral site such as the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center in GF?

Let the regional location talk go for this year. It's going to be in Grafton this year and that's that. I'm sure it will be back at the Betty next year. Let's move on.

I agree...it'd be much better at a neutral location..and the Betty is a nice facility for it.

The whole point of these forums is to discuss...so if they want to discuss the regional location...let em discuss.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys