Region 5

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 5

Postby twoadays » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:46 pm

Haven't seen much about Region 5. Will Shiloh finally miss the trip to the state B this year??
twoadays

Re: Region 5

Postby twoadays » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:10 pm

Obviously not a hot topic...is region 5 that "uninteresting'????? :shock:
twoadays

Postby BBall dominator » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:22 pm

This region is basically a toss up to whos playing the best at the end of the season. Theres about 4 or 5 teams that could be competing for the trip to state. Shiloh is my pick out of this region just because they've got history of making it to state and have a good core of players back.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby twoadays » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:29 pm

So is region 5 the weakest in class b?
twoadays

Postby Big Ticket » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:28 pm

Altogether it is not a great region but some of the teams could beat anyone in the state.
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby bestinthewest » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:29 am

New salem won the holiday tourney in mandan. look out for them. they beat shiloh already and have only lost to center in OT.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby ticket0115 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:43 am

Turtle Lake is playing some good ball right know after losing to Berthold in there first game. I expected shiloh to be alot better then what there playing right know. Center is missing a key player right know and come tournament time should be in the hunt. Standing Rock seems to be playing pretty decent right know beating four winds by 1 earlier in the week. New Salem won the holiday tourney and Wilton isnt bad either so i would have to say that its not the worst region by any means. I would say Turtle Lake is the favorite as of right know.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby bluedevils_4 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:28 pm

ticket0115 i agree it is not the weekest region. but however i do not think turtle lake is the favorite they have a couple overated players and i don't hear alot of good things about thier coach i only got to see them once and that was when they lost to berthold i was more impressed with thier sophmore grant singer then anybody
bluedevils_4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Ticket » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:12 pm

bluedevils_4 wrote:ticket0115 i agree it is not the weekest region. but however i do not think turtle lake is the favorite they have a couple overated players and i don't hear alot of good things about thier coach i only got to see them once and that was when they lost to berthold i was more impressed with thier sophmore grant singer then anybody

I agree very overated actually
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:11 pm

bluedevils_4 wrote:ticket0115 i agree it is not the weekest region. but however i do not think turtle lake is the favorite they have a couple overated players and i don't hear alot of good things about thier coach i only got to see them once and that was when they lost to berthold i was more impressed with thier sophmore grant singer then anybody

was that a joke they have the best junior guard in the state on their team

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Nodak Guy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:16 pm

cdub1 wrote:

Malzer can shoot the ball, but he is not a threat on defense. Take it to him and draw the lazy reach in fouls. The Nelson kid is all about getting his shots. Singer is a good kid to have on any team. Grant County will be a scary team come February once the Kirsch brothers get it going in tandem. New Salem held Ben to zero shots in the Mandan Holiday, so Ray Jones will get that fixed. New Salem is young and has a talented group of starters. Shiloh will turn it up pretty quick....I guess they miss Friesen a little bit, huh? Wilton is always there in the end, so don't count them out. Standing Rock will always be in the mix, too. Center-Stanton has some athletes and some nice players. Region 5 is wide open again this year, but there aren't too many teams that can't compete with each other.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ticket0115 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:53 pm

You are right Nodak Guy Nelson and Malzer are totally overated. They are definently below average class B players. But seriously in the History of North Dakota Preps that was one of the Stupidest comments ever posted. Bring any two guards from the same team and they would not beat either of them in a game of twos. I look for TL to exceed alot of Peoples expectations and make noise in the tournament.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:08 am

Nodak Guy wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

Malzer can shoot the ball, but he is not a threat on defense. Take it to him and draw the lazy reach in fouls. The Nelson kid is all about getting his shots. Singer is a good kid to have on any team. Grant County will be a scary team come February once the Kirsch brothers get it going in tandem. New Salem held Ben to zero shots in the Mandan Holiday, so Ray Jones will get that fixed. New Salem is young and has a talented group of starters. Shiloh will turn it up pretty quick....I guess they miss Friesen a little bit, huh? Wilton is always there in the end, so don't count them out. Standing Rock will always be in the mix, too. Center-Stanton has some athletes and some nice players. Region 5 is wide open again this year, but there aren't too many teams that can't compete with each other.

have you played malzer before?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby twoadays » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:54 pm

I've heard great things about their coach. He had a very rough last 2 years because of a couple psycho parents and from what I heard...very psyco. I've tlaked to a lot of guys that said he's the best coach TL has seen in years b/c most decent coaches are run out by parents and a gutless administration that doesn't back them up. My buddie's nephew played for Coach Anderson and will say he was tough and expects a lot from his players, even at the jr high level,but says hands down he taught him more than any other coach 6 years of playing 2 sports in HS. Bottom line is it seems like his players respect him and he has a decent record as head coach. It's easy to blame a coach for a teams failures and hard to give them credit when a team is winning. Nobody is ever happy.
Last edited by twoadays on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twoadays

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:50 pm

ticket0115 wrote:You are right Nodak Guy Nelson and Malzer are totally overated. They are definently below average class B players. But seriously in the History of North Dakota Preps that was one of the Stupidest comments ever posted. Bring any two guards from the same team and they would not beat either of them in a game of twos. I look for TL to exceed alot of Peoples expectations and make noise in the tournament.

maybe when they change to a 3 class system one of hte systems can be twos then? ive never seen this team play but ive also never heard anything about them this year so its doesnt seem that they are too special...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby HS Ballers » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:46 pm

Agreed. Malzer: overated. Evan Nelson...yah right.
HS Ballers

Postby twoadays » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:20 pm

HS Ballers wrote:Agreed. Malzer: overated. Evan Nelson...yah right.

by whose standard? Malzer's been talked about for 3 years or more. Nelson has problems with control but unreal court vision. I've seen them play once this year but it's obvious these 2 run the court and seem to read eachothers minds. The Singer kid is tough...really tough. Overall they seem like a solid group. I don't see a lot of games outside of this region but I've seen enough to know that saying Malzer and Nelson, or Singer for that matter are "below average class b players" (as someone said on this forum)...well it's ridiculous. The box scores I've seen so far have all 3 of these kids averaging in double digits and I'm pretty sure Malzer and Singer are in the 20's or close to it. I agree it's anyone's game in this region but give credit where credit is due.
twoadays

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:44 pm

From the moderator:

This topic is getting a little edgy. Please restrict your posts to constructive opinions. You can say what you want to say without calling other people's posts stupid. And be very careful what you say when you name specific players. Remember that these are high school athletes, not paid pros. Negative posts about individual players are a quick way to get banned.

Examples:

Saying a named player is below average - acceptable - it's a debatable opinion

Saying a named player is way overrated - getting touchy - the players don't rate themselves, so take issue with whoever is rating them highly

Saying a named player is awful - not necessary. You can say a player is a weak shooter, or has a poor left hand, or something specific about their game, but just calling them awful - not good.

I hope this helps clarify our expectations.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby twoadays » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:32 pm

Saw 6 teams from this Region play last night. If I had to pick 4, it would be Turtle Lake, Center, Washburn, Max in that order (tho I think washburn and Max could beat eachother on any given night). I think all but Center are from the same dist (10?) so would expect to see all 4 of these teams at the Regional with turtle lake and Center having a decent chance at the title. they play eachother tonight in the semis and it looks like they match up well with both teams having 3 decent guards and some height.
twoadays

Postby ticket0115 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Turtle Lake dominated this game. 82-62 and Center has height not Turtle Lake the tallest guy they start is 6 foot.Impressive performance from the trojans Good Luck tonight against Bismarck JV in the ship.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby lionstigersandbears » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:41 am

Anyone else see the TLM Center game and/or the championship game between TL and Bismarck?
lionstigersandbears

Postby ticket0115 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:35 pm

Yeh surprising TL doesnt get any respect in the new poll with a 7-1 record. Tough tests against Hazen and Velva coming up will determine where they sit.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:06 pm

TL-M is playing well right now. Seems like everyone forgot that Wilton was rated #1 in the district. Center- Stanton, New Salem, Standing Rock(could be the sleeper team) and Shiloh are teams in the region that look to be in the hunt. Overall I would say that this region is one of the most competetive in the state.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby lionstigersandbears » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:53 pm

jtdc492 wrote:TL-M is playing well right now. Seems like everyone forgot that Wilton was rated #1 in the district. Center- Stanton, New Salem, Standing Rock(could be the sleeper team) and Shiloh are teams in the region that look to be in the hunt. Overall I would say that this region is one of the most competetive in the state.

how does Wilton look...are they living up to the #1 ranking?
lionstigersandbears

Postby jtdc492 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:28 pm

Wilton started off rough with back to back losses to Strasburg/Zeeland and Linton, had arguablly top player injured(Cole Bender). Took 2nd in Velva tourney without him. Have turned it up since. Playing well and are at 6 and 3. Beat Garrison last nite 82-53.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys