Best Place to Hold State Tourney

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Where should "The B" be held??

Bismarck
75%
Minot
7%
Fargo
14%
Jamestown
4%

Total votes : 72

Re: Best Place to Hold State Tourney

Postby Sioux » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:44 pm

Bismarck should be the place and Minot the second the North Dakota High School Activity Association should know this. Absolutely rediculous that these two places don't have it each year..NDHSAA..Get it together and please the state not yourselves..
Sioux

Postby homer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:57 pm

the fargodome is a awful place to watch basketball thats why they want to build on a basketball venue in the future
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby region 2 opinion » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:12 am

Sioux wrote:Bismarck should be the place and Minot the second the North Dakota High School Activity Association should know this. Absolutely rediculous that these two places don't have it each year..NDHSAA..Get it together and please the state not yourselves..

Good Quote!! The NDHSAA should get their act together. They can't even get the regional tournaments right. They took region 2 boys out of the "Betty" when the net proceeds were $5000.00 to $6000.00 more then they will receive in Grafton or Mayville. Besides giving up that much money for the state they also put region 2 on a home site---(GRAFTON) ranked #1 in region 2. Region 2 boys and girls has been held at the "Betty" the last couple years and could not have been better. Now they move it back to Grafton (a home site) and give up 5 to 6 thousand dollars. Don't tell me the NDHSAA is making any sense. Someone is pleasing themselves again. Also agree, Bismarck and Minot are by far the best facilities to hold the "B" boys tournament (the biggest money maker for NDHSAA). They will probably screw that up too and try a 3 class system in ND---another huge mistake!!! I also think that if Fargo can get there act together and get the dome set up correctly so the fans are on the floor they should be considered just because they have probably the best accomodations of all the towns and many things to do there. Some of the mentioned rotations with football, hockey, volleyball and basketball look like good options too!!
region 2 opinion
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 am

I was talking with a few guys tonight about Fargo and Bismarck, not nessecarilly for basketball put just as cities, and they didnt even like Fargo as a city. it seems to me that Fargo is more of a "business" city while Bismarck is better for visitors. any thoughts on that even though it has nothing to do with basketball??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby region 2 opinion » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:49 am

baseball wrote:I was talking with a few guys tonight about Fargo and Bismarck, not nessecarilly for basketball put just as cities, and they didnt even like Fargo as a city. it seems to me that Fargo is more of a "business" city while Bismarck is better for visitors. any thoughts on that even though it has nothing to do with basketball??

Probably quite accurate!!
region 2 opinion
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:51 am

How big is the the Bison Sports Arena? I know they have plans to renovate that. Do you think it would be large enough to hold the state tournament?
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:20 am

cubsfan wrote:How big is the the Bison Sports Arena? I know they have plans to renovate that. Do you think it would be large enough to hold the state tournament?

The BSA holds 6,000 for basketball. It's not a very nice facility though... not nice enough for the B tourney. The bleachers are horrible - there is a constant worry about your stuff (including small children!) falling through the openings to the floor. Once the Fargodome basketball addition is completed, that will probably be a great place for the "B." Until then, I agree, it should stay in Minot or Bismarck (preferably Bismarck because of its location). A nice thing about Fargo is the number of hotel rooms and the shopping, but other than that, the class B tournament doesn't "take over the town" like it does elsewhere. Lots of people don't even know (or care) that it's going on. That isn't the case in Bismarck and Minot. It's a different atmosphere. I'd rather drive 200 miles to Bismarck than 20 to Fargo for the "B."
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:13 am

ClassBEast wrote:
cubsfan wrote:How big is the the Bison Sports Arena? I know they have plans to renovate that. Do you think it would be large enough to hold the state tournament?

The BSA holds 6,000 for basketball. It's not a very nice facility though... not nice enough for the B tourney. The bleachers are horrible - there is a constant worry about your stuff (including small children!) falling through the openings to the floor. Once the Fargodome basketball addition is completed, that will probably be a great place for the "B." Until then, I agree, it should stay in Minot or Bismarck (preferably Bismarck because of its location). A nice thing about Fargo is the number of hotel rooms and the shopping, but other than that, the class B tournament doesn't "take over the town" like it does elsewhere. Lots of people don't even know (or care) that it's going on. That isn't the case in Bismarck and Minot. It's a different atmosphere. I'd rather drive 200 miles to Bismarck than 20 to Fargo for the "B."

The only thing I have with the Fargodome expansion is that it is only projected to seat like 6500 people, which doesnt seem quite big enough for the B.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:45 am

bballfan_05 wrote:
ClassBEast wrote:

The only thing I have with the Fargodome expansion is that it is only projected to seat like 6500 people, which doesnt seem quite big enough for the B.

Good point. I see the Minot Dome holds 10,000. I'm not sure about the Bismarck Civic Center. I didn't realize how much smaller the Fargodome expansion would be. I hope they re-think that setup.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby digger » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:11 am

ClassBEast wrote:

I agree, the best atmosphere for the B is in Bismarck. The community really rallies around it. I like the idea of permanent homes for the various state tournaments. I know everyone wants a shot at the Class B boys, but the tournament is for the participating teams and the NDHSAA member schools and their fans. Economic impact on the hosting community shouldn't be a big part of the equation.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:24 am

ClassBEast wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
ClassBEast wrote:

Good point. I see the Minot Dome holds 10,000. I'm not sure about the Bismarck Civic Center. I didn't realize how much smaller the Fargodome expansion would be. I hope they re-think that setup.

I'm thinking the Civic Center holds around 11-12, might be wrong there. I don't see the point in the fargodome expansion because they are not gaining any seats over the current BSA that is inplace.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:33 am

I don't think they are expanding the dome in order to seat more and have a better chance of getting the state B. I doubt that is even in the back of their mind. Just like when UND expanding the Ralph and built the Betty. Hyslop was showing its age and wasn't very fan friendly for bball anymore. Now they have a great bball arena for their teams first and maybe holding high school tourneys (dist and regionals) second. That's probably the same thinking at NDSU. Make a better bball arena for our DI teams and if its happens to attract a high school tourney so be it, not the other way around.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby homer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:51 pm

hey muffin bring your binoculars....big ones! you will need them.
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby SnuggleMuffin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:36 am

homer wrote:hey muffin bring your binoculars....big ones! you will need them.

Psht...Why do i have to bring the binoculars...
Cant you bring a pair for me?
SnuggleMuffin

Postby homer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:30 pm

the only ones i got are the ones that you unscrew and put schnaaps in used to take em to dakota field when the bison and phil would beat up on pitt. state gorillas....Brrrrrrrr... and no i didnt throw them at eddie schultz
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby WoodChuck14 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:55 pm

I would have to say the fargo dome because they have lots of seating and I think it would be awsome to play in that place.
WoodChuck14

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 pm

WoodChuck14 wrote:I would have to say the fargo dome because they have lots of seating and I think it would be awsome to play in that place.

a closed practiced in your school's gym will have as much basketball atmosphere as the fargodome....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:46 pm

Yeah...I really wanted to go to the B this year...regardless if Bowman made it or not...but being that it's in Fargo, that's making it kinda hard for me.
project-pat

Postby BB11 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:02 pm

baseball wrote:
WoodChuck14 wrote:I would have to say the fargo dome because they have lots of seating and I think it would be awsome to play in that place.

a closed practiced in your school's gym will have as much basketball atmosphere as the fargodome....

LOL - right on - couldn't have said it better myself.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby chevyman11 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:56 pm

I would have to say that Bismarck seems to be the best place to hold the tourney. Central location in the state and surrounded by many shops, stores, and restaurants.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys