Why not the "Betty"?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Why not the "Betty"?

Postby basketball » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:28 pm

I think the Betty is the place to be. I have had the opportunity to play both in the Betty and at Mayville State. Although my team never advanced to state, I am glad to say that my last basketball game was played in the Betty. Playing in the Betty does not even compare to playing at Mayville. AND if its not going to be at the Betty this year, it should be played at Mayville because its there turn.
Last edited by basketball on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby toughregion2 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:55 pm

hoopsattm wrote:In response to "toughregion2", yes I do agree people are a little more miffed about the whole subject because Grafton has a very good team this year. That's even more of a reason not to have it there. A home court crowd indeed is a big advantage, and at that tournament, every participant will have their fair share of fans. However, don't you think Grafton has just a slight advantage playing in the facility they play half their games and practice on every day? I always felt more comfortable playing at home. Plus, the real problem is what has been stated earlier and several times. HOW it all happened. It was NOT decided by a vote by the coaches. Sounds like the decision was made by 2-3 people, none of which are coaches, for personal reasons. I find it very sad that people in a position of leadership would twist a situation like this for their own benefit. Do we teach our children, our grandchildren, to be deceitful just to get ahead?

A very slight adavantage i would say .........you have the option to practice before districts you will get 2 or 3 games before the regional is in place and maybe 1 or 2 games during the season. I dont disagree that betty is a great place....i just dont think its as big of deal as people are making it out to be.....and people saying wow its great that i got to play in the betty.......Most players have to earn their way to play in gyms of that nature.....i really dont think its a life altering event to get to play in the betty.....i do believe winning the region and going to state is a life event but that memory will be the same no matter what gym you play the game in........i dont hear to many players say darn we lost in the first round but atleast we got to play in the betty.....
toughregion2

Postby Hinsa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:02 pm

"i dont hear to many players say darn we lost in the first round but atleast we got to play in the betty....."

That's exactly what people are saying! Read the preceding posts. I didn't see any of them saying they got to state but I saw several of them saying they were thrilled to play in the Betty.

And who are all these teams that are going to get 2-3 games in the district in Grafton, 1-2 regular season games, and a practice pre-district. That is obviously directed at the other District 4 teams. The District 3 teams will get NONE of those chances to be on the floor.

I'd say that's a huge advantage for Grafton when/if they play a District 3 team.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby toughregion2 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:08 pm

Its the way it has been for years

It has the same effect on district 4 teams when they have to play in mayville......its pick your poison every other year........if region 2 had never been held in the betty none of this would be a factor..
toughregion2

Postby Hinsa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:14 pm

But it has been held in the Betty and the overwhelming response has been that it was a great thing!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby toughregion2 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:22 pm

and before it was held in the betty it was overwhelming that grafton and after mayville upgraded that they were doing a great job.........
toughregion2

Postby Hinsa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:25 pm

I can see it both ways - I'd like the revenue to stay in the "B" towns. The Betty is a great facility. Can't have both....

I do believe the region should not be played on a participating team's home floor. But that doesn't do justice to the job that Grafton does hosting.

No easy answer...
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:31 pm

scc wrote:
toughregion2 wrote:Its the way it has been for years

It has the same effect on district 4 teams when they have to play in mayville......its pick your poison every other year........if region 2 had never been held in the betty none of this would be a factor..

Agreed.

A big reason they did move it to the Betty was because Grafton was back in class B. The Betty is in the middle of both Grafton and Mayville and then there aren't any complaints about home court advantage. I also agree with Hinsa about how people talk about their experience playing in the Betty. Outside of playing the Region II tournament in High School the only chance you have to play in the Betty is the Grand Am tournament in Grand Forks, unless you play for/against the FIGHTING Sioux. So I would say it's a pretty memorable experience for everyone, win or lose.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoopsattm » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:28 pm

toughregion2 wrote:
hoopsattm wrote:In response to "toughregion2", yes I do agree people are a little more miffed about the whole subject because Grafton has a very good team this year. That's even more of a reason not to have it there. A home court crowd indeed is a big advantage, and at that tournament, every participant will have their fair share of fans. However, don't you think Grafton has just a slight advantage playing in the facility they play half their games and practice on every day? I always felt more comfortable playing at home. Plus, the real problem is what has been stated earlier and several times. HOW it all happened. It was NOT decided by a vote by the coaches. Sounds like the decision was made by 2-3 people, none of which are coaches, for personal reasons. I find it very sad that people in a position of leadership would twist a situation like this for their own benefit. Do we teach our children, our grandchildren, to be deceitful just to get ahead?

A very slight adavantage i would say .........you have the option to practice before districts you will get 2 or 3 games before the regional is in place and maybe 1 or 2 games during the season. I dont disagree that betty is a great place....i just dont think its as big of deal as people are making it out to be.....and people saying wow its great that i got to play in the betty.......Most players have to earn their way to play in gyms of that nature.....i really dont think its a life altering event to get to play in the betty.....i do believe winning the region and going to state is a life event but that memory will be the same no matter what gym you play the game in........i dont hear to many players say darn we lost in the first round but atleast we got to play in the betty.....

So you do admit there is a slight advantage to playing on your home court. Why should that advantage be available at all? Also, I believe teams lost the options of practicing on the tournament court a few years ago, and even when that was available, I kind of doubt that the hour you were given really gets you prepared as much as you'd like to be. No, it isn't that big of a deal to play in the Betty, just the idea that every team would be playing on a neutral floor. That seems to be the whole idea behind this topic. If all the coaches from these two districts had indeed voted to hold the tournament in Grafton one year and Mayville the next, that would be fine. But everyone knows that didn't happen. It shouldn't be up to school boards, superintendents, or athletic directors. Coaches and players should have the say, and in this instance, they had little if any. When I started this mess I asked for someone to give me one good reason for this tourney being held in Grafton, and I haven't heard one yet.
hoopsattm
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:22 pm

region 2 opinion wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I understand what your all saying about the facility....it is really head and shoulders above grafton and mayville......BUT.....you can't beat the atmosphere in mayville or grafton when people are packed in all screaming......dont kill the atmosphere

Hey Schwab!!! You r right!!!! The "Betty" is head and shoulders above both Grafton and Mayville. I don't know if you have been to the "Betty" during the regional but I have and the atmosphere is excellent there too. Neither Grafton or Mayville are any better than the "Betty" when it come to atmosphere, I have seen the atmosphere at all 3 facilities and none are any better then the "Betty" and the Betty is head and shoulders the best facility!!!!

Yes Mayville and Grafton do compare to atmosphere.....and in my opinion even better......I feel that the district championship game when MPCG played Hillsboro (hillsboro won but MPCG went on to win state) was the best atmosphere for a game that i've seen in high school sports......those of you that were there would remember that.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby nc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:42 pm

What do you mean it doesnt make a difference to play in the betty?? Last year it was part of our district motivation to make it into regionals.. it wasnt our only motivation but it was. I mean there is nothing wrong with the betty. Its a very nice new gym and the atmosphere is nothing to frown at. If there was just some way this could get changed back to the betty this year. Everybody knows that grafton has a good team this year and their chances of being in regionlas are really good. The reason that it was changed back to grafton is just not right. Its not gonna work to go out and say that home court advantage is not that big of a deal, becasue in high schol sports its BIG!!
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby thechief » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:47 pm

ok whos knows maybe grafton won't even make regionals so then no one could complain about home court advantage or crowd support but i dont know the odds of that happening
thechief

Postby cubsfan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:54 pm

thechief wrote:ok whos knows maybe grafton won't even make regionals so then no one could complain about home court advantage or crowd support but i dont know the odds of that happening

I guarantee that Grafton will make regionals. They have one of the most dominant post players in the district in AK and there are only 2 other teams in that district that will give them a game.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:57 pm

There has been a lot of talk about the atmosphere in the Betty. I think last year and the year before the atmosphere was great. The Betty had way more people in attendance than Mayville or Grafton could ever hold. And it was not like the place was completely empty either. I know I would rather be in attendance in the Betty than in Mayville or Grafton.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: !!

Postby automatic99 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:23 pm

region 2 opinion wrote:
basketball20 wrote:I played in the Betty last year for the girls region, and that is something that Mayville or Grafton can never comare to. The turnout was awesome and the place seemed to be packed. When you ran onto that floor for the first time you had chills from the atmosphere. To say that playing in front of a packed house in Mayville or Grafton is the same is a joke. There is no comparison in my opinion. So what if you have to pay a little more, the kids are never going to forget games that they played in the Betty, and I think that is what matters the most.

Hey Girl!!!! We need more quotes from people like you that have played in all venues!!! You could not be more RIGHT!!!!! The big shots that got the Boys regional moved to Grafton were in it only for their own personal gain. One, who had been a big push for the "Betty" when he was with Dist 3 and now a very involved member with Dist 4 all of a sudden wants it in Grafton!!!! And his big side kick from St.Thomas has an even bigger interest in having it in Grafton!!! His son is the head coach at Grafton!!!! Anybody smelling something FISHEY yet!!!!!! This has been the biggest railroad job in Region 2 History!!!
You know,the ones who also should be called on the table should be the NDHSAA board of directors!!! Their biggest objective should be to generate $$$$$ for NDHSAA!!!! The past years the Region 2 tournament has generated huge money at the Betty!! Between the Boys and the Girls tournaments the last few years, the tournaments at the "Betty" have produced between $5000 and $6000 dollars more revenue per year then Grafton or Mayville!!! Is the NDHSAA willing to lose $5000.00 to $6000.00 dollars/year just to satisfy one of their members and his sidekick!!! WOW!!!! If they are, we have some problems going on here!!!! I think most sports in N.D. are losing $$$$$, why would we let NDHSAA throw $5000 to $6000 away/year to let their chosen few have their tournament in Grafton!!! What kind of message are we sending here!!!!! Anyone dare to respond!!!!

I think what really happened was that the Grafton head coach got this whole thing done by himself. He decided that it would completely benefit him for regionals to be in his home gym......yeah right. I'm sure he understands that all the decision does is put a big target on their backs. I can't believe you would blame 2 people for getting this whole thing changed. You may want to do some research on the topic and maybe you would find that at least one of the two people you accused of making this happen has actually been in favor of regionals in Grafton all along. It has nothing to do with his son being the head coach of the Grafton basketball team. I can't believe you would come on here and accuse people of things you obviously have no clue about. This site is not meant for calling people out and I think what you are doing is very childish and irresponsible. The best team will win at regionals, no matter where they are held. Get over it and let the kids decide it on the court. By the way.....in all the years Grafton has held the region tourney, how many times have they made it to state??????? I could see why people would argue if Grafton was going to state every year.......but they haven't.
automatic99
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:58 am

automatic99 wrote:
region 2 opinion wrote:
basketball20 wrote:I played in the Betty last year for the girls region, and that is something that Mayville or Grafton can never comare to. The turnout was awesome and the place seemed to be packed. When you ran onto that floor for the first time you had chills from the atmosphere. To say that playing in front of a packed house in Mayville or Grafton is the same is a joke. There is no comparison in my opinion. So what if you have to pay a little more, the kids are never going to forget games that they played in the Betty, and I think that is what matters the most.

Hey Girl!!!! We need more quotes from people like you that have played in all venues!!! You could not be more RIGHT!!!!! The big shots that got the Boys regional moved to Grafton were in it only for their own personal gain. One, who had been a big push for the "Betty" when he was with Dist 3 and now a very involved member with Dist 4 all of a sudden wants it in Grafton!!!! And his big side kick from St.Thomas has an even bigger interest in having it in Grafton!!! His son is the head coach at Grafton!!!! Anybody smelling something FISHEY yet!!!!!! This has been the biggest railroad job in Region 2 History!!!
You know,the ones who also should be called on the table should be the NDHSAA board of directors!!! Their biggest objective should be to generate $$$$$ for NDHSAA!!!! The past years the Region 2 tournament has generated huge money at the Betty!! Between the Boys and the Girls tournaments the last few years, the tournaments at the "Betty" have produced between $5000 and $6000 dollars more revenue per year then Grafton or Mayville!!! Is the NDHSAA willing to lose $5000.00 to $6000.00 dollars/year just to satisfy one of their members and his sidekick!!! WOW!!!! If they are, we have some problems going on here!!!! I think most sports in N.D. are losing $$$$$, why would we let NDHSAA throw $5000 to $6000 away/year to let their chosen few have their tournament in Grafton!!! What kind of message are we sending here!!!!! Anyone dare to respond!!!!

I think what really happened was that the Grafton head coach got this whole thing done by himself. He decided that it would completely benefit him for regionals to be in his home gym......yeah right. I'm sure he understands that all the decision does is put a big target on their backs. I can't believe you would blame 2 people for getting this whole thing changed. You may want to do some research on the topic and maybe you would find that at least one of the two people you accused of making this happen has actually been in favor of regionals in Grafton all along. It has nothing to do with his son being the head coach of the Grafton basketball team. I can't believe you would come on here and accuse people of things you obviously have no clue about. This site is not meant for calling people out and I think what you are doing is very childish and irresponsible. The best team will win at regionals, no matter where they are held. Get over it and let the kids decide it on the court. By the way.....in all the years Grafton has held the region tourney, how many times have they made it to state??????? I could see why people would argue if Grafton was going to state every year.......but they haven't.

Wow Grafton was only a class B school for one of the years it has been in Grafton. They had one of the most controversial plays in regional history when they knocked off Larimore in the first game. They haven't been in Class B long enough to even use that argument.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoopsattm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:20 pm

automatic99 wrote:
region 2 opinion wrote:

I don't think telling the truth is being childish or irresponsible. How the whole thing was handled, the tournament I mean, going from Forks back to Grafton, when only a handful of people ever complained about the Betty, was the part that was childish and irresponsible. Amazing how some people get so threatened when they know they're stuck but still can't admit they're wrong.
hoopsattm
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BB11 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 pm

scc wrote:How many regions use neutral sites? To be fair, maybe it should be set up so all regions are doing things the same way.

Region 4, 5, 6, and 8 do.
4 - Devils Lake
5 - Bismarck Civic Center
6 - Minot Dome
8 - Williston College.
Not sure about 1 and 3.
7 is held at Dickinson Trinity.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:06 pm

Region 1 i believe is rotated between The Civic Center in Fargo and NDSCS.....but if it isn't rotated it is always in Fargo.

Region 3 i believe is held at the Jamestown Civic every year.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:18 pm

The Schwab wrote:Region 1 i believe is rotated between The Civic Center in Fargo and NDSCS.....but if it isn't rotated it is always in Fargo.

So basically the only region sites that aren't neutral are Region 2 and Region 7 - and Region 7 has it at Trinity for lack of no other viable spots to have it - true?
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:51 pm

BB11 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Region 1 i believe is rotated between The Civic Center in Fargo and NDSCS.....but if it isn't rotated it is always in Fargo.

So basically the only region sites that aren't neutral are Region 2 and Region 7 - and Region 7 has it at Trinity for lack of no other viable spots to have it - true?

Yeah and Region II had a perfect neutral site at the Betty but for whatever stupid reason it's not there anymore.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Hoopsattm is right....a small contingency of men DID orchestrate this, and it IS supposed to be district 3's year to choose. The high school activities board was told that it was unanimous that the district 4 schools were in favor for moving the region back to Grafton, which was an out and out LIE!!!
The facts are:
1)More money is made using the Betty
2)Homecourt advantage is nullified
3)The atmosphere is second to none!
Fans that are on the border as to if they will attend the regional (no kids, relatives, friends playing/school not participating) WILL NOT because of the seating concerns in Grafton, or Mayville for that matter. Fans of class B basketball who live in Grand Forks (their are many) won't travel to Grafton to attend, but likely would to the Betty. The Betty is one of the nicest facilities in North Dakota. A trip to play in the Betty is too many kids nearly equivalent to playing the in the state tourney. This is a no-brainer....we have the facility, its location is central to all of region 2's schools, and most importantly, NO HOMECOURT ADVANTAGE EXISTS!! The pro's far out-way the cons.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Yes...contingent on it being in the betty...they didn't vote to keep it out of Mayville to have it in either the Betty OR Grafton.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Had it been district 4's year to choose location, this would have been easier to swallow, regardless if it was done in a back handed fashion or not, but it still wouldn't have been right.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby toughregion2 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:39 pm

I am not against it at the Betty......I just think that it will just as great of tourney no matter where it is held............Someone please correct me if im wrong but doesnt Grafton seat alot more people than mayville does.....And the fact that all distric coaches were in favor of the move is a OUT RIGHT LIE. I know 3 coaches for sure that want it in the Betty. This was a perfect example of not who know but who you B---......... I do hope these people get pointed out in the public because of the crap that has been pulled....Its too bad this isnt the place to do it.....
toughregion2

PreviousNext

Return to Boys