Scrimmages?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Scrimmages?

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:55 pm

So what are all your feelings on scrimmages? Are they good for your program or as some have stated in other topics, a glorified practice.

Should they keep scores at scrimmages, but wouldn't it be like another basketball game?

Please share your thoughts! :wink:
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Scrimmages?

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:17 pm

play it as an exhibition game. keep score, stats, everything. just dont write it down in the record books. give every team one exhibition game and then start the season.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:08 pm

Maybe a class B vs class A day? or if you had a game against someone you wouldn't normally play!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:22 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:Maybe a class B vs class A day? or if you had a game against someone you wouldn't normally play!

i dont know about the Class B vs class A but maybe like a jamboree or something and bring a team from each region to places for a day of 4 games. like 8 teams go to Jamestown, Bismarck, Fargo, Minot, Grand Forks, Williston, Dickinson, Devils Lake.....the only problem would be the travel. I know a team like Kindred or Lisbon wouldnt want to drive to Williston for an exhibition game, but thats the only way i can see it where you play a team outside your region.

Maybe do like a ACC/Big Ten thing where its Region 1 vs. Region 3 or something like that
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:31 pm

We travelled to New Town, about a three hour drive this saturday. It sucked, it stormed on the way their and on the way back!

A Jamboree would be a nice idea! Places to have them would be, Devils Lake, Grandforks, Fargo, Jamestown, Bismarck, Dickinson, Williston, & Minot, kinda at the big cities in the region!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B_Baller » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 pm

I think both of you guys have good ideas, I like the fact that they would keep score, stats...etc.
but a scraimmage is just for fun. Not to see how much points they canbeat them by and who dropped the most points on each team. I would say they should keep them the way they are now.
But......I said but.......keeping all the stats down but not putting the win on record would be nice so for this topic I would have to say I might to be neutral :lol: :?
B_Baller
NDPreps Starter

Postby King OF Kings » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:52 am

Dunseith and Belcourt scrimmaged, awww as far as i heard dunseith won by lyke ten or something, but it was pretty close game all the way threw.
King OF Kings

Postby adriana » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:49 pm

I say keep scores and stats...there's no point in playing a game unless there's going to be a winner and a loser, but the win doesnt need to be recorded. I like the jamboree idea. The traveling would probably be an issue though...
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:06 pm

adriana wrote:I say keep scores and stats...there's no point in playing a game unless there's going to be a winner and a loser, but the win doesnt need to be recorded. I like the jamboree idea. The traveling would probably be an issue though...

It depends on what you are calling it...If it is a scrimmage it is for the purpose of finding things that need to be worked on in a controlled environment...kind of practicing against anouther team.

If you guys want to keep stats and scores, then call it an exhibition game and don't count it as part of the record.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby adriana » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Baller wrote:
adriana wrote:I say keep scores and stats...there's no point in playing a game unless there's going to be a winner and a loser, but the win doesnt need to be recorded. I like the jamboree idea. The traveling would probably be an issue though...

It depends on what you are calling it...If it is a scrimmage it is for the purpose of finding things that need to be worked on in a controlled environment...kind of practicing against anouther team.

If you guys want to keep stats and scores, then call it an exhibition game and don't count it as part of the record.

Ok but it'd be practicing against another team in the form of a game...so someone needs to win and someone needs to lose. Scores should be kept. Call it an exhibition game then...i think that instead of a "scrimmage" would make more sense anyways.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:33 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:We travelled to New Town, about a three hour drive this saturday. It sucked, it stormed on the way their and on the way back!

A Jamboree would be a nice idea! Places to have them would be, Devils Lake, Grandforks, Fargo, Jamestown, Bismarck, Dickinson, Williston, & Minot, kinda at the big cities in the region!

How did you guys do against New Town, I heard they are suppose to be pretty good??
Sioux

Postby old lineman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:05 pm

Scrimage is a glorified practice and should not have the score kept. It is a chance to see what you got before you have a game that counts. Keep in mind that everyone keeps score in there head. I think the teams in the scrimage should be played amongst teams that you would not have on your schedule. I went to one last wekend and it was alot of work for the host schools and that was a credit to there coaches and school staff to take the time to do the work involved.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby adriana » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:11 am

old lineman wrote:Scrimage is a glorified practice and should not have the score kept. It is a chance to see what you got before you have a game that counts. Keep in mind that everyone keeps score in there head. I think the teams in the scrimage should be played amongst teams that you would not have on your schedule. I went to one last wekend and it was alot of work for the host schools and that was a credit to there coaches and school staff to take the time to do the work involved.

Well in that case i say they start having exhibition games instead of scrimmages.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:16 pm

I was thinking about these scrimmages the other day. Why is it ok for a player to play in a scrimmage (and count it as a practice) before he/she has the mandatory 9 practices? I mean, each scrimmage that I have taken part in or watched has been played exactly like a game but with no score kept. At the rules clinics they stress that players cannot play before they have 9 practice because of health/safety reasons, but its ok to play a scrimmage then? Anyone else think that rule is stupid and unnecessary? I think a coach should be able to determine when a player is ready to play in a game....whether that means 1 practice or 20. Anyone else have any insight on this?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby EDC » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:24 pm

Scrimmages are good especially if the coaches can stop action and make a point. I would like it to be reffed and don't have a problem with keeping score. Some 1/2 court action would be nice too before or after the full court.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dcfan24 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:55 am

Kenmare and Burke Central had a scrimmage a week ago, Kenmare won by 3! Burke must be playing some good ball lead by Andy Ganje, and Jagr! hahahahahahahahahahahaha
dcfan24

Postby Hinsa » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:19 pm

dcfan24 wrote:Kenmare and Burke Central had a scrimmage a week ago, Kenmare won by 3! Burke must be playing some good ball lead by Andy Ganje, and Jagr! hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ummm.....you can't keep score in a scrimmage. And coaches don't play a scrimmage like they would a game. So don't put much stock in the results of a scrimmage.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby playin2win » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:42 pm

i almost think IMO you need to keep score it makes your players think there is something to play for and just put them in a game situation, just if it is to get the first nerves off or whatever. but yea they should figure somethign out where every team has a game/scrimmage/exhibition game played just makes it easier for the kids and the coaches IMO

tell me what you think agree?? or disagree??
playin2win
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:59 pm

playin2win wrote:i almost think IMO you need to keep score it makes your players think there is something to play for and just put them in a game situation, just if it is to get the first nerves off or whatever. but yea they should figure somethign out where every team has a game/scrimmage/exhibition game played just makes it easier for the kids and the coaches IMO

tell me what you think agree?? or disagree??

I guess that is why most schools start with a nonconference game...to get the jitters out before conference play...technically, this could be called an exhibition game because it doesn't effect tournament seeding. Scrimmages are for a different purpose and more for teaching. Coaches can blow their whistle and teach...Can't do that in game one because there aren't enough timeouts to talk about everything.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby playin2win » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:36 pm

yea i hear what you are saying i agree.
playin2win
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys