CHARGE!!!

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: CHARGE!!!

Postby raiders » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:34 pm

Brandon jordan from the wilton miners team of 2001 was one of the best charge takers of all time
raiders

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:56 pm

baller01 wrote:So you are saying making the team turn the ball over and give your team another chance to score is bad defense? I'm not saying the guy touches you and you fly back screaming out loud, that is a little too much. But a good defender that sees the defense a little bit[b][/b] out of control is going to make it look as real as a charge can look to get his team the ball back. You say flopping is the wrong way to play defense? I say anytime you can draw a foul on an oppenent and get the ball back for your team you played good defense.

Flopping IS the wrong way to play defense because your trying to act good enough to convince the ref to call a charge. If ever coach I hope you don't encourage your kids to flop on defense. Just play good, hard, honest defense and you won't have to rely on flopping. Every person that responds to one of my posts on here that opposes it says the exact same thing. So if you are planning on responding to this one here is my take on it for like the third or fourth time. FLOPPING AND TAKING A CHARGE ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Flopping is how you play defense if you are scared and don't have confidence in your defense. Taking a charge is smart and a good strategy. Once again in case you missed it the first time.

FLOPPING AND TAKING A CHARGE ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Philnerius21 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:05 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
baller01 wrote:So you are saying making the team turn the ball over and give your team another chance to score is bad defense? I'm not saying the guy touches you and you fly back screaming out loud, that is a little too much. But a good defender that sees the defense a [b]little bit[/b] out of control is going to make it look as real as a charge can look to get his team the ball back. You say flopping is the wrong way to play defense? I say anytime you can draw a foul on an oppenent and get the ball back for your team you played good defense.

Flopping IS the wrong way to play defense because your trying to act good enough to convince the ref to call a charge. If ever coach I hope you don't encourage your kids to flop on defense. Just play good, hard, honest defense and you won't have to rely on flopping. Every person that responds to one of my posts on here that opposes it says the exact same thing. So if you are planning on responding to this one here is my take on it for like the third or fourth time. FLOPPING AND TAKING A CHARGE ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Flopping is how you play defense if you are scared and don't have confidence in your defense. Taking a charge is smart and a good strategy. Once again in case you missed it the first time.

I AGREE! if the man can see the defense a little bit then he would be smart enough to get to the spot before the offense and TAKE A CHARGE!! I looked up the definition of charge and one definition said, "to rush forward as if in a violent attack". From that there I dont understand how you could even argue what the rule of a charge is. I've seen to many times where a kid will take a dribble in to feel his man and WHAM he is on the floor. If you are rushing forward in a violent attack by finding your defender on your hip and he can make it look like a charge then he needs to quit playing basketball and go play soccer or find a movie role. Flopping is not a man's of way ball. Grow a set and stand in there and take one on the chin. Flopping not only degrades yourself, it degrades the game of basketball.
Philnerius21

Postby baseball » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:34 am

Philnerius21 wrote:
baller01 wrote:So you are saying making the team turn the ball over and give your team another chance to score is bad defense? I'm not saying the guy touches you and you fly back screaming out loud, that is a little too much. But a good defender that sees the defense a [b]little bit[/b] out of control is going to make it look as real as a charge can look to get his team the ball back. You say flopping is the wrong way to play defense? I say anytime you can draw a foul on an oppenent and get the ball back for your team you played good defense.

I AGREE! if the man can see the defense a little bit then he would be smart enough to get to the spot before the offense and TAKE A CHARGE!! I looked up the definition of charge and one definition said, "to rush forward as if in a violent attack". From that there I dont understand how you could even argue what the rule of a charge is. I've seen to many times where a kid will take a dribble in to feel his man and WHAM he is on the floor. If you are rushing forward in a violent attack by finding your defender on your hip and he can make it look like a charge then he needs to quit playing basketball and go play soccer or find a movie role. Flopping is not a man's of way ball. Grow a set and stand in there and take one on the chin. Flopping not only degrades yourself, it degrades the game of basketball.

baller01 is right on this one, you get the ball back for your team you played good defense. next coming from behind a player and stealing the ball from him is cheap...."steal it from in front if your a man".

as for is u can see the player a little bit out of control and saying get to the spot....he obviously did get ot the stop if they called a charge....i dont know what kinda ball you watch but ive never seen a player come in from the side and draw a charge??

if you have that spot on the court and the offensive player hits you, no matter how soft, its an offensive foul, same for defense. you cant come and bump an offensive player while hes standing there flat footed...why can you hit a defensive player like that?

NBE, you sit here and say charging and flopping are different things....explain a charge then. offensive player gets a 20 foot run at it goin full speed and just lowers his shoulder into the defender? that sounds like the only way a person can draw a charge.

and to end my arguement on this..it is not called a charge, its called a PLAYER CONTROL FOUL. so if the defender is in good position and the offensive player cant avoid contact with him he is obviously out of control...if he was in control maybe take a step to the side and avoid him huh?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Philnerius21 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:51 am

No where did i say you come in and hit the man when he is standing flat footed. I said you put a hip on em and find out where they're at to make your move at the basket, doing that doesnt require "hitting" the player flat footed. Half the time you dont even have to touch em cuz the defense will lean on ya anyways. Ive seen plenty of side step charges. I call it watching clean basketball. In a zone, a man beats the first line of d, then there is a second line, a second line man simply takes a side step to the right or the left, therefore occupying the spot on the floor, therefore getting there before the offense, which furthermore results in a "player control foul". Also i didnt say it mattered how hard or soft you hit em, im talking about the exaggerated ones. If it's a foul the officials will call it, dont over exaggerate the hit.
Philnerius21

Postby BBall dominator » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:09 am

I'm going to have to agree w/baller on this one. How can getting your team the ball back on defense be a bad thing in any context. Its the offensive players fault 95% percent of the time either the defense flops or not. I've taken a few charges and had some called on me and I knew it was my fault when I got called for player control the defense made a good play I had to take a side step or stop and shoot 9 footer instead of bowling into a player.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:55 am

baseball wrote:
Philnerius21 wrote:

baller01 is right on this one, you get the ball back for your team you played good defense. next coming from behind a player and stealing the ball from him is cheap...."steal it from in front if your a man".

as for is u can see the player a little bit out of control and saying get to the spot....he obviously did get ot the stop if they called a charge....i dont know what kinda ball you watch but ive never seen a player come in from the side and draw a charge??

if you have that spot on the court and the offensive player hits you, no matter how soft, its an offensive foul, same for defense. you cant come and bump an offensive player while hes standing there flat footed...why can you hit a defensive player like that?

NBE, you sit here and say charging and flopping are different things....explain a charge then. offensive player gets a 20 foot run at it goin full speed and just lowers his shoulder into the defender? that sounds like the only way a person can draw a charge.

and to end my arguement on this..it is not called a charge, its called a PLAYER CONTROL FOUL. so if the defender is in good position and the offensive player cant avoid contact with him he is obviously out of control...if he was in control maybe take a step to the side and avoid him huh?

Wow, I really think I didn't need to explain the difference between a flop and a "player control foul." Oh by the way I'm SOOOOO sorry I got that wrong for you. Even though the name of the topic is "CHARGE!!" and everyone referred to it as a charge but I guess I was the one you had to tell. Anyway, since you really don't know what a "flop" is and since I have gone into it on my other posts I guess I can go into it again since it's so hard to go through this thread and just read it. A PLAYER CONTROL FOUL is a play when the offensive player uses excessive force to create space from the defense. A PLAYER CONTROL FOUL doesn't have to be on the run either. I've seen it happen when someone catches the ball and steps their leg forward to pivot before they dribble. Then they sink their shoulder into the guy and come up and they have a few more feet to start their drive with. A flop however is when a defender falls to the ground on purpose to make it look like a player control foul. I seriously can't believe that you wanted an explanation for it. I once watched Vlade Divac fall to the ground when JOHN STOCKTON drove to the hoop on him and the referee in the game actually LAUGHED at Vlade. Can we be done with people asking me to differentiate between a PLAYER CONTROL FOUL and a flop?
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:53 am

baseball wrote:
Philnerius21 wrote:

Wow, I really think I didn't need to explain the difference between a flop and a "player control foul." Oh by the way I'm SOOOOO sorry I got that wrong for you. Even though the name of the topic is "CHARGE!!" and everyone referred to it as a charge but I guess I was the one you had to tell. Anyway, since you really don't know what a "flop" is and since I have gone into it on my other posts I guess I can go into it again since it's so hard to go through this thread and just read it. A PLAYER CONTROL FOUL is a play when the offensive player uses excessive force to create space from the defense. A PLAYER CONTROL FOUL doesn't have to be on the run either. I've seen it happen when someone catches the ball and steps their leg forward to pivot before they dribble. Then they sink their shoulder into the guy and come up and they have a few more feet to start their drive with. A flop however is when a defender falls to the ground on purpose to make it look like a player control foul. I seriously can't believe that you wanted an explanation for it. I once watched Vlade Divac fall to the ground when JOHN STOCKTON drove to the hoop on him and the referee in the game actually LAUGHED at Vlade. Can we be done with people asking me to differentiate between a PLAYER CONTROL FOUL and a flop?

Well since my context got taken from the offensive player drawing a little bit of contact to acting like Vlade Divac, I will explain myself. IMO, when you flop, there has already been some contact made between you and the offensive player. However, there probably wasn't enough contact to make you fall to the floor. When you "flop", it makes it seem like there was a little bit more contact thus sometimes making a referee call a player control foul giving your team the ball back.

I do not think a player should be touched by a hand and fly back on the ground screaming. Flopping only works if its done rarely. Maybe once every game or so. Of course, I don't think you should be like Vlade Divac.

What I'm trying to say is, in order to flop and get a player control foul called, you have to be in good position. If you flop when you are out of position you will 99.9% get a blocking call on yourself. All a flop is to me is a little trick to use when there isn't all that much contact between you and the defender. The defender makes some contact with you, you hit the floor, ref blows his whistle and puts his hand behind his head, points the opposite direction, and your team gets the ball.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:21 pm

baller01 wrote:
baseball wrote:
Philnerius21 wrote:

Well since my context got taken from the offensive player drawing a little bit of contact to acting like Vlade Divac, I will explain myself. IMO, when you flop, there has already been some contact made between you and the offensive player. However, there probably wasn't enough contact to make you fall to the floor. When you "flop", it makes it seem like there was a little bit more contact thus sometimes making a referee call a player control foul giving your team the ball back.

I do not think a player should be touched by a hand and fly back on the ground screaming. Flopping only works if its done rarely. Maybe once every game or so. Of course, I don't think you should be like Vlade Divac.

What I'm trying to say is, in order to flop and get a player control foul called, you have to be in good position. If you flop when you are out of position you will 99.9% get a blocking call on yourself. All a flop is to me is a little trick to use when there isn't all that much contact between you and the defender. The defender makes some contact with you, you hit the floor, ref blows his whistle and puts his hand behind his head, points the opposite direction, and your team gets the ball.

Yep and I hate it.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:12 pm

It's not my fault you don't like it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its a cheap, dirty, coward, or any other adj. word to describe it negatively. Taking a charge by flopping gets a foul on your opponent and gets your team the ball back. Sounds like a good thing to try every now and then.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:55 pm

Is there a difference between “flopping” and pushing to get a rebound? Or holding someone off ball to gain advantage? Or going to the basket and creating contact and exaggerating the amount of contact and falling down to draw a foul? Or admitting to a ref the ball went off of you when the ref called the ball went off your opponent? Or trapping an opponent in the corner and nudging them out of bounds? Or stepping on the opponents foot to disrupt their movement? Is this “playing dirty?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:56 pm

baseball wrote:
Philnerius21 wrote:

the only reason i say its a player control foul instead of charge is becuase the way its called. if the player is out of control...not matter how fast or slow he is moving....its a foul. to pick up a charge you dont have to lower your shoulder and actually "charge" into the guy. thats all my point was so maybe you should just settle down and accept a 6'8" 300 lb center can draw a charge just as easily as a 5'5" 120 lb PG

maybe you should also go to a rules or referees clinic to actually know what a charge/player control foul is
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tu-Big » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:12 pm

Bruce Bowen is the best defender in the NBA IMO. If anyone watched the Finals last year and saw what he did to LeBron James you know this is true. The reason i bring up Bruce Bowen is that he is also considered one of the dirtiest players in the NBA. He pops elbows on jumpers, tugs jerseys, and whatever else he needs to do to get an advantage on the assignment that he draws for that night. All i hear from NBA announcers and NBA "insiders" though is how good he is, because he gets the job done. If a kid flops and the ref calls it, then more power to the kid who flops. If the ref calls it, then you have to adjust, basketball isnt a game with strict and blatent rules, so you have to try and bend them to get an advantage because in the words of Herman Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME."
Tu-Big

Postby baller01 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:51 pm

Tu-Big wrote:Bruce Bowen is the best defender in the NBA IMO. If anyone watched the Finals last year and saw what he did to LeBron James you know this is true. The reason i bring up Bruce Bowen is that he is also considered one of the dirtiest players in the NBA. He pops elbows on jumpers, tugs jerseys, and whatever else he needs to do to get an advantage on the assignment that he draws for that night. All i hear from NBA announcers and NBA "insiders" though is how good he is, because he gets the job done. If a kid flops and the ref calls it, then more power to the kid who flops. If the ref calls it, then you have to adjust, basketball isnt a game with strict and blatent rules, so you have to try and bend them to get an advantage because in the words of Herman Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME."

Thank you Tu-Big for making my point.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:18 pm

Flopping is still weak! No matter how many ESPN, SI, PTI, analyst back it up! I am old school like that! :twisted:
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ddeshields2002 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:07 am

baller01 wrote:
Tu-Big wrote:Bruce Bowen is the best defender in the NBA IMO. If anyone watched the Finals last year and saw what he did to LeBron James you know this is true. The reason i bring up Bruce Bowen is that he is also considered one of the dirtiest players in the NBA. He pops elbows on jumpers, tugs jerseys, and whatever else he needs to do to get an advantage on the assignment that he draws for that night. All i hear from NBA announcers and NBA "insiders" though is how good he is, because he gets the job done. If a kid flops and the ref calls it, then more power to the kid who flops. If the ref calls it, then you have to adjust, basketball isnt a game with strict and blatent rules, so you have to try and bend them to get an advantage because in the words of Herman Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME."
Exactly. NBE and all you other flop-haters, deal with it. I can't remember who said it, but someone said its a disgrace or something like that to the game of basketball. How is it?
ddeshields2002

Postby cubsfan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:43 am

ddeshields2002 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Exactly. NBE and all you other flop-haters, deal with it. I can't remember who said it, but someone said its a disgrace or something like that to the game of basketball. How is it?

The only thing that I can think of that would be a disgrace to the game of basketball would be watching horne98 play basketball. Flopping is part of the game, sometimes a bit over the top but it is still part of the game.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys