ND HS Sports Classification System - who disagrees?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby loveclassB BB » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:25 am

I'd like to open a discussion about the fact that ND BB (and VB for that matter) only has 2 classifications for HS sports.  Is it fair that a school with an enrollment of say, 60 , has to compete with schools as big as Beulah?  How about the fact private schools in Bismarck, Minot, Dickinson, etc. sneak in under the "Class B" umbrella as well??? Recruiting within these class b schools (that reside in class A cities) is a well known practice but it's almost impossible to enforce "no recruiting" in schools that fit this mold. At least much more difficult to control in larger private schools then in smaller schools.  That said, I know there are plenty of very, very, small schools that consistantly compete well and often beat schools up to 4x their enrollment and this is a good argument for the system staying as is with 2 classes.  I'd just like to stimulate a good discussion...thanks!
loveclassB BB
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Baller » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:34 am

If this turns into a Private school recruiting forum...it will be closed ...People don't want a three class system...
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 am

loveclassB BB wrote:I'd like to open a discussion about the fact that ND BB (and VB for that matter) only has 2 classifications for HS sports.  Is it fair that a school with an enrollment of say, 60 , has to compete with schools as big as Beulah?  How about the fact private schools in Bismarck, Minot, Dickinson, etc. sneak in under the "Class B" umbrella as well??? Recruiting within these class b schools (that reside in class A cities) is a well known practice but it's almost impossible to enforce "no recruiting" in schools that fit this mold. At least much more difficult to control in larger private schools then in smaller schools.  That said, I know there are plenty of very, very, small schools that consistantly compete well and often beat schools up to 4x their enrollment and this is a good argument for the system staying as is with 2 classes.  I'd just like to stimulate a good discussion...thanks!

i vote for a one class system. David vs Goliath. winner take's it all.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:46 am

There are enough problems associated with it to keep it from ever happening.  Mainly money and travel time.

Personally, I like to preserve the rivalries and it's sad when co-ops have to dissolve them.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:04 am

I'd vote for seven or eight classes.  That would stop a lot of whining......
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:10 am

maybe at the beginningof the year give every team a trophy and call them the winners...games mean nothing.....
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby loveclassB BB » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:21 am

Baller wrote:If this turns into a Private school recruiting forum...it will be closed ...People don't want a three class system...

I'm confused by the term "recruiting forum", Baller.  Don't misunderstand...it was just a point to support a statement...NOT the topic I wanted to have discussed.  Coming to ND from a state with 5 different classifications (which had it's problems too), I don't (yet)I have an opinion one way or the other and just wanted some feedback.  Hope I'm not out of line here.
loveclassB BB
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:19 pm

loveclassB BB wrote:
Baller wrote:If this turns into a Private school recruiting forum...it will be closed ...People don't want a three class system...

I'm confused by the term "recruiting forum", Baller.  Don't misunderstand...it was just a point to support a statement...NOT the topic I wanted to have discussed.  Coming to ND from a state with 5 different classifications (which had it's problems too), I don't (yet)I have an opinion one way or the other and just wanted some feedback.  Hope I'm not out of line here.

your name is loveclass B so you must have an opinion. how would u feel if they took class B and split it town the middle with the lower enrollment being a class C.  just curious, but when did you move to North Dakota and did you attend the State B this year?  if you divide the state into 3 classes you take the single greatest sports weekend out of North Dakota.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbjay » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:02 pm

I propose that all new people should have to go to a special forum to discuss recruiting until they get it out of their systems...only then, will they be allowed to come and post with all the people who are sick of talking about that subject.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:13 pm

[user=256]bbjay[/user] wrote:
I propose that all new people should have to go to a special forum to discuss recruiting until they get it out of their systems...only then, will they be allowed to come and post with all the people who are sick of talking about that subject.

Theres a 21 page discussion on recruiting in hot topics all new people should have read that whole thing before they can post haha :). I love point centers idea just have one class system winner takes all :)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby finfam06 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:43 pm

I would like to see a one class system where winner takes all. I do not agree with the three class system cause of the little schools wanting to go to state! Some class "b" school are able to compete with class "a" and vise versa! Why mess with a good thing!!!!!
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:11 pm

id would much rather see a one class system then a 3 class.  look at how big the B is every year, just think how it would be if a team like Parshall were making a run at the title in a 1 class system
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Now the class A people are going to get on here and talk about how class B teams could never compete with class A.  Bullcrap...I know the class A teams would be consistently better but there would be a number of class B schools that would compete and be very successful each year.  There just wouldn't be a class B school that would dominate for 3-4 years in a row like some do now. 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:47 pm

keep the 2 class system, work harder, stop whining, let's move on....
project-pat

Postby BBall dominator » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Class B is perfect the way it is with the exception of maybe needing a shot clock.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:26 am

project-pat wrote:keep the 2 class system, work harder, stop whining, let's move on....

Agreed.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Nodak Guy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:09 am

If you are from small town ND, you know that it's hard enough to find help for the games.  Having to find a competent operator for the shot clock would be tough.  Plus, when most small schools are already cutting things to make the budget work, getting a couple grand to purchase a couple of shot clocks would be a challenge.  Who agrees and/or disagrees?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby homer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:32 am

i totally agree
homer

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:33 am

Nodak Guy wrote:If you are from small town ND, you know that it's hard enough to find help for the games.  Having to find a competent operator for the shot clock would be tough.  Plus, when most small schools are already cutting things to make the budget work, getting a couple grand to purchase a couple of shot clocks would be a challenge.  Who agrees and/or disagrees?

I agree with the fact that it would be hard for the really small schools to be able to afford the price of a shot clock, then paying someone to run it. However, I think the addition of the shot clock would greatly improve Class B basketball in the fact that it would force stop some teams from stalling the last few minutes of the game.  
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Nodak Guy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:26 am

But stalling is part of the strategy.  As Herm Edwards once said "you play to win the game."
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:31 am

Nodak Guy wrote:But stalling is part of the strategy.  As Herm Edwards once said "you play to win the game."

True, it would just make the really close games more interesting imo. Instead of controlling the ball for minutes at a time, it forces one to make good decisions, and take good quality shots.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run With It » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:29 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:
project-pat wrote:keep the 2 class system, work harder, stop whining, let's move on....

Agreed.

i also agree.
but most class b schools probably can't afford that.
Run With It
NDPreps Rookie

Postby project-pat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:50 pm

Run With It wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:

Agreed.

i also agree.
but most class b schools probably can't afford that.

You don't need to afford anything, just get a group of kids that are willing to work hard and work together, that's free.
project-pat

Postby magic715 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:38 pm

BBall dominator wrote:Class B is perfect the way it is with the exception of maybe needing a shot clock.

Well i did discuss the 3 Class subject at one time, and will give my idea of what would work and could be done. You take the biggest 32 Class B schools and put in Regions, then the rest would be smaller class B of 4 regions, you have the 4 Champs from Big Class B in top Bracket at State, and the 4 champs from small class B in the lower Bracket and play out the state tourny with the Big class B teams playing the Small class b teams on the final day, guarantee David vs Goliath every yr, that would be exciting, also guarantee 4 bigs schools and 4 small schools. But i think it averages out to about 5-3 to 4-4 , on big to small schools now, so i dont think it is a big deal. But i think this would appease the small school people who complain.
magic715

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:43 pm

magic715 wrote:
BBall dominator wrote:Class B is perfect the way it is with the exception of maybe needing a shot clock.

Well i did discuss the 3 Class subject at one time, and will give my idea of what would work and could be done. You take the biggest 32 Class B schools and put in Regions, then the rest would be smaller class B of 4 regions, you have the 4 Champs from Big Class B in top Bracket at State, and the 4 champs from small class B in the lower Bracket and play out the state tourny with the Big class B teams playing the Small class b teams on the final day, guarantee David vs Goliath every yr, that would be exciting, also guarantee 4 bigs schools and 4 small schools. But i think it averages out to about 5-3 to 4-4 , on big to small schools now, so i dont think it is a big deal. But i think this would appease the small school people who complain.

You know, that's not a half bad idea.  I think it would make for an interesting state tourney.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys