College Commits

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ND_SportsNut » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:22 am

Just put whos going where once its put out there, please no stuff about freshman already commited to Duke and that kind of garbage.

LRSC confirms they got R.J Darling, Ironheart and Moe. I hope the rumor is right about the Packineaus also.
ND_SportsNut

Postby boysbballfan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:31 am

Last edited by boysbballfan on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:02 am

ND_SportsNut wrote:Just put whos going where once its put out there, please no stuff about freshman already commited to Duke and that kind of garbage.

LRSC confirms they got R.J Darling, Ironheart and Moe. I hope the rumor is right about the Packineaus also.

That would be a very nice team next year, throw Mertens in the mix, I hope Graupe lets the boys run!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Diamond D » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:32 am

The community of Four Winds has to be pumped about Tony playing in his backyard.  He plays exceptionally well in the DL Sports Center and usually has a huge backing by his family and friends. 

And not only Mertens, but you also have the 6'10" Serbian and the high flying Canadian. 

If you haven't had a chance to see Mertens and Ola dunk, you are missing out!!

Sounds like Graupe has another 6'10" player coming in from out of the country as well.

Will be interesting to see how things progress.
Last edited by Diamond D on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby meadowlark lemon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:50 am

Mark Bakkum of Steele is going to U-Mary along with 3 other Mr. Basketball Finalist in Tate Kick, Jordan Wilhelm and Justin Belohlavek[font=Arial].[/font]
meadowlark lemon
NDPreps Rookie

Postby J-Rod34 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:36 pm

ND_SportsNut wrote:Just put whos going where once its put out there, please no stuff about freshman already commited to Duke and that kind of garbage.

Where did you hear this rumor?
J-Rod34

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:04 am

J-Rod34 wrote:

Where did you hear this rumor?

It's good to see the knucklehead coach at LRSC finally recruiting kids from the area instead of all kids from out of state or international.  The attendance at their games will double with IH playing there. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Diamond D » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:00 am

It's good to see the knucklehead coach at LRSC finally recruiting kids from the area instead of all kids from out of state or international.

Where did this come from?  Three of last year's starters were ND boys.  When the point guard got suspended for those 4 games, he started 4 North Dakota boys that were all from this area and typically the entire floor was just ND boys.

Obviously you haven't been to a game and have seen the quality of the juco ranks as of lately.  Did you see the Vencennes game?  If so, show me one ND player that could play at that level?  Even Mertens himself admitted this was a completely different level.

Totally uncalled for Nativegolfer.  Get your facts straight and edit the post.
Last edited by Diamond D on Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:35 am

Diamond D wrote:
It's good to see the knucklehead coach at LRSC finally recruiting kids from the area instead of all kids from out of state or international.

Where did this come from?  Three of last year's starters were ND boys.  When the point guard got suspended for those 4 games, he started 4 North Dakota boys that were all from this area and typically the entire floor was just ND boys.

Obviously you haven't been to a game and have seen the quality of the juco ranks as of lately.  Did you see the Vencennes game?  If so, show me one ND player that could play at that level?  Even Mertens himself admitted this was a completely different level.

NG does have a point though, Why does Graupe have to go out of Country to recruit his team?  He has a nice pool of ND boys to recruit from.  Keep it American, I mean this is America isn't it?
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:37 am

Diamond D wrote:

I'm talkin about about maybe three or four years ago and beyond.  I remember lookin at a roster about 4 years ago and there where 3 guys from ND on it.  If LRSC wants to put people in the seats they need to recruit local boys.  The only games I have been to are when UTTC comes to town and when Sean Gourd was playin for BSC.  And both of those games there where more fans from Spirit Lake than from DL.  I lost whatever little interest for LRSC BB when they overlooked Shawn Larson for the head coaching job and gave it to the current guy.  Larson could coach circles around that guy and everyone knows it.   
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:38 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
Diamond D wrote:

NG does have a point though, Why does Graupe have to go out of Country to recruit his team?  He has a nice pool of ND boys to recruit from.  Keep it American, I mean this is America isn't it?
I think from the way it sounds that Graupe gets about 60 or more percent of his kids from arround here "the core of his team", then he goes out of state/country to get some high flyers and kids with alot of hidden talent....and at the Juco level I think he has a pretty nice balance.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:48 am

He does know how to recruit them, but does he know how to coach them?  I am sorry this is a little off the subject.  But I pose that question!  I agree Larson is a good coach, but DL has their ways also, I think alot of politics play into their decisions.  The first time I heard of Graupe was when he coached at Petersburg.  Our JV destroyed their varsity!  I think he is more of a salesman than a coach!  He did a good job of Marketing himself!!!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WildWarrior » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:46 am

The Schwab wrote:I think from the way it sounds that Graupe gets about 60 or more percent of his kids from arround here "the core of his team", then he goes out of state/country to get some high flyers and kids with alot of hidden talent....and at the Juco level I think he has a pretty nice balance.

LRSC has done a better job the last two-three years with recruiting local kids and they had more success this year than in the past.  I do remember 3 years ago listening to playoff game between LRSC and Williston and there was one ND kid in the starting line-up.  He was for LRSC too.  I think that there is too much pressure to compete with NDSCS who seems to have a pipeline from the Twin Cities.  Granted NDSCS does have some ND kids as well, they seem to be able to recruit some of the better ND kids due to their successes in the past years.  LRSC is starting to get to that point now.  None of these schools will be able to compete with the top JUCO programs in the country with out bringing in some out of state/country players.  That is just the cold hard truth.  To me though putting people in the gym and having a competitive team is the most important thing with ND JUCO programs.  People will pay to see people that they know.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Diamond D » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:51 am

He must be doing something right since they knocked off NDSCS and was just one win away from going to Nationals this year.

I also think you need to look at the stats and record.  Graupe has turned things around.  Do I agree with him and his coach all the time?  No, but I am also not in his position and not a coach either.

As far as relying on "just ND kids".  It won't happen.  He would have a loosing record everytime.  Sure we have some great talent here, but there is no way he would be able to compete on just ND talent alone.  No way, no how.  He has to be able to bring in those 1 or 2 people that can just give him height, talent, and strength when needed.

The juco level has changed dramatically in the past 4-5 years.  NDSCS, WSC, BSC and others are recruiting kids from all over the place.  I think you find that NDSCS had only 3 kids from ND on the team.  WSC had 9 players of which were not from ND, SD, or Minnesota.  BSC does a good job of recruiting ND players (9 on their roster) and LRSC beat them by 38 at BSC earlier this fall and BSC was second to last in the Mondak Conference and they are a DII juco.

You  have to remember that LRSC is a D-1 juco.

As one said above, Graupe does a good job of maintaining some ND talent while enhancing the team as well with out of staters.

Wait till you watch the team this fall.  I believe Tony, RJ, and Moe are all in for a eye opening experience.  I believe they will fit in well with the foundation of the team, but I don't think they have realized how much of a step it is from HS. 

Last edited by Diamond D on Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby Diamond D » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:17 am

The first time I heard of Graupe was when he coached at Petersburg.  Our JV destroyed their varsity!  I think he is more of a salesman than a coach!  He did a good job of Marketing himself!!!

I went back to the Hoopster.  Graupe started a 4'6" 7th grader and a 4'10" 8th grader for his varsity guards that year.

Wow, what an accomplishment for your JV!!:clap:

Why is it we always go down the same roads with you two? No research and the truth is always spun somehow?????
Diamond D

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:46 am

Diamond D wrote:
The first time I heard of Graupe was when he coached at Petersburg.  Our JV destroyed their varsity!  I think he is more of a salesman than a coach!  He did a good job of Marketing himself!!!

I went back to the Hoopster.  Graupe started a 4'6" 7th grader and a 4'10" 8th grader for his varsity guards that year.

Wow, what an accomplishment for your JV!!:clap:

Why is it we always go down the same roads with you two? No research and the truth is always spun somehow?????
Clarify, please.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSHOWTIMEFAN » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:49 am

Here are the facts:

In Graupe's first 3 years at Lake Region, in two of them he had the highest % of ND kids of any college in ND.  Yes he made a mistake in the past were he did recruit out of state kids and he vowed he would never do that again.  Also he does stay away from ND kids who he's heard are into drugs.  Is there anything wrong with that?

Nice win beating Graupe's 4'11" 8th grader Jon Wolfgram and 4'7" 7th grader Derek Sonderland - Petersburg.

Lake Region's recruiting philosophy is to recruit as many ND players as possible.  Check out the other two D-I juco's in ND.  Wahpeton had 2 ND players on its roster and Williston is hard into the state of Wisconsin (and Trinidad).  The Royals get their big kids from overseas.

Shawn Larson was offered the job at Lake Region and turned it down.

Why the bashing on Lake Region when Wahpeton and Williston both only had one starter apiece from ND (Lake Region had 3).  Let's get back to the subject of where ND players are going to play at next year.

Packineau brothers were visited by Graupe on Sunday, April 1st in Minot.  Their mother told Graupe that they would make a visit to Lake Region.

Now you know the facts.
NDSHOWTIMEFAN

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:41 am

This is all hearsay! What sources are you getting your information? - You can be only two people, if your statements are true! you can be Mark Graupe himself or his assistant Danny Mertens!  So which one are you? 

What about his Devils Lake teams?  I didn't hear of them doing that great!  Like I said before, he knows how to recruit them, but does he know how to coach them.  You can get a good group of players together and they will put the numbers up!  That doesn't mean he is making them better!  He is not a D-1 Coach, Small Town Class B Varsity coach at best! 

As far as recruiting kids from ND, what about these Class A big shots, why can't he pull them in, I mean he is a D-1 Juco coach, if he is so great, why can't he get these players here?  What about the big names in other states?  He has to get his crew from overseas, with the limited English!!!  They come here and last just a year.  They see through most of the bs!!!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:43 am

wow.....man....what do you have against him....i'm not from the lake area...so i dont know much about the situation.....why the hostility?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:46 am

Everyone puts him on this pedistal!  I only give credit where credit is due.  If I have a disagreement, you will hear about it!

I have been to some of his games, his play calling wasn't that impressive, but when he let the boys run and gun, they did awesome.  He should hold on, shut up and sit back and enjoy the game!  That is the coaching style best suited for him!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:53 am

ok fair enough
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:56 am

Indians Alumni wrote:This is all hearsay! What sources are you getting your information? - You can be only two people, if your statements are true! you can be Mark Graupe himself or his assistant Danny Mertens!  So which one are you? 

What about his Devils Lake teams?  I didn't hear of them doing that great!  Like I said before, he knows how to recruit them, but does he know how to coach them.  You can get a good group of players together and they will put the numbers up!  That doesn't mean he is making them better!  He is not a D-1 Coach, Small Town Class B Varsity coach at best! 

As far as recruiting kids from ND, what about these Class A big shots, why can't he pull them in, I mean he is a D-1 Juco coach, if he is so great, why can't he get these players here?  What about the big names in other states?  He has to get his crew from overseas, with the limited English!!!  They come here and last just a year.  They see through most of the bs!!!

Because the big names go to 4 year colleges because they are recruited to go there.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Diamond D » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:04 am

Oh my God??? 

So why is TI coming here if Graupe is so bad??

So Merten's wasn't a big name Class A player?  (I belive he and Tony played together down in Fort Yates last weekend).

Indian's Alumni wrote:
This is all hearsay! 

Can you provide data that says otherwise?

Can you provide information pertaining to international students only staying 1 year?
What about the big names in other states?

What other big names?  TI, RJ, Moe, possibly the Packineau's.  ARE THEY NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?

What do you want Indian's Alumni?  Do you want ND players or big name out of state players? I thought you said he should have ND players?????

Tony: are you reading  this?  Some guy name Indian's Alumni says you aren't big time.  Great support group don't you think?  Don't worry your true fans at LRSC will be behind you and we think you are  A BIG NAME!

Indian Alum:  How many of the LRSC international students have you spoken to that play BB for LRSC?  Just curious how terribly difficult it was to understand the kids from Toronto, Canada or London, England.    ha ha ha haahhah :point::bang:
Last edited by Diamond D on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:15 am

Diamond D wrote:Oh my God??? 

So Merten's wasn't a big name Class A player?  (I belive he and Tony played together down in Fort Yates last weekend).

Indian's Alumni wrote:
This is all hearsay! 

Can you provide information pertaining to international students only staying 1 year?

What other big names?  TI, RJ, Moe, possibly the Packineau's.  ARE THEY NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?

What do you want Indian's Alumni?  Do you want ND players or big name out of state players? I thought you said he should have ND players?????

Tony: are you reading  this?  Some guy name Indian's Alumni says you aren't big time.  Great support group don't you think?  Don't worry your true fans at LRSC will be behind you and we think you are  A BIG NAME!

Indian Alum:  How many of the LRSC international students have you spoken to that play BB for LRSC?  Just curious how terribly difficult it was to understand the kids from Toronto, Canada or London, England.    ha ha ha haahhah :point::bang:

Why do these palyers go to a juco in the first place?  They go to try to get some PT and get into a 4 year school.  I know with the players LRSC has comin in they will be successful.  Any team IH is on is going to win games.  My problem with LRSC seems to have been remedied in the past few years.  I'll definitely go to watch them play with IH on the team. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:16 am

nativegolfer wrote:
Diamond D wrote:Oh my God??? 

Indian's Alumni wrote:
This is all hearsay! 

Why do these palyers go to a juco in the first place?  They go to try to get some PT and get into a 4 year school.  I know with the players LRSC has comin in they will be successful.  Any team IH is on is going to win games.  My problem with LRSC seems to have been remedied in the past few years.  I'll definitely go to watch them play with IH on the team.
mostly grades, some to gain strength and experience
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys