Are Athletes Born Or Made??

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:56 am

ndfan wrote:Hopefully this isn't getting to off track but was Babe Ruth born an athlete or did he make himself a athlete?? Considered one of the greatest baseball players of all time, and I don't think drinking beer and smoking help make an athlete. Thoughts?

o crap they dont, thats what ive been doing wrong all these years!!! no but obviously he must have had some in born athletic ability
klg_11

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:20 pm

run-n-gun wrote:But if your not born with athletic ability you cant train as hard as others that were born with athleticism

How are you unable to train as hard as those that were born with athleticism?  Maybe because you're not able to do the same things at the same level as them it's harder for you but that makes you train harder then the class "natural athlete".  Some people are born and as soon as they do anything they are just instantly good at it and some are born and they have to practice over and over again to be comfortable doing it.  The difference is the ones that have to work for it are usually the ones that are most succussful because they know how hard they've worked to get everything they have and will stop at nothing to be successful.  The "natural athletes" are more often the types that will relax and depend on their athleticism to take them where they need to be. 

Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard!
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:08 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
run-n-gun wrote:But if your not born with athletic ability you cant train as hard as others that were born with athleticism

How are you unable to train as hard as those that were born with athleticism?  Maybe because you're not able to do the same things at the same level as them it's harder for you but that makes you train harder then the class "natural athlete".  Some people are born and as soon as they do anything they are just instantly good at it and some are born and they have to practice over and over again to be comfortable doing it.  The difference is the ones that have to work for it are usually the ones that are most succussful because they know how hard they've worked to get everything they have and will stop at nothing to be successful.  The "natural athletes" are more often the types that will relax and depend on their athleticism to take them where they need to be. 

Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard!

hard work beats talent that doesnt work hard but it cant stand up to a talented hard worker kinda unfair but thats life

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:51 pm

I have to agree with you there cdub it's just too bad that more of the people born with talent don't work hard.  A great example of a talented hard worker would be someone like michael jordan.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grizz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:45 pm

cdub1 wrote:hard work beats talent that doesnt work hard but it cant stand up to a talented hard worker kinda unfair but thats life

Thats so true..... thanks for the new myspace quote. haha
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:55 am

I like to think of it like this, there are two types of athletes. The born athlete, and the trained athlete.

An example of a born athlete that put in the work would be Michael Jordan.

An example of a trained athlete would be Rudy Ruttiger from the movie Rudy. He didn't have any athleticism at all but still trained himself to be able to play at Notre Dame. There are players with all kinds of athleticism that will never get to do that because Rudy's desire was unmatched.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 am

baller01 wrote:I like to think of it like this, there are two types of athletes. The born athlete, and the trained athlete.

An example of a trained athlete would be Rudy Ruttiger from the movie Rudy. He didn't have any athleticism at all but still trained himself to be able to play at Notre Dame. There are players with all kinds of athleticism that will never get to do that because Rudy's desire was unmatched.

amen
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby always a sports season » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:37 am

baller01 wrote:I like to think of it like this, there are two types of athletes. The born athlete, and the trained athlete.

amen
Yes, but was all that he went through worth it to only play 2 plays of a game?  And he wouldn't have gotten that if it wasn't for his teammates?
always a sports season

Postby grizz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:42 am

Yeah the only reason they let Rudy play is because they knew how much heart he had and how much he wanted to play. It was more of a pitty-play, not saying he didnt earn it tho.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby always a sports season » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:18 am

You're right he had earned it but without the players and the crowd (if that's really how it happened) the coaches would never have put him in.  He was only a grunt to them.
always a sports season

Postby rep » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:54 am

i always thought that rudy, the real rudy i mean, had a bit more athletic talent than the movie portrayed. thought i either heard or read an interview from the guy and he said while he was no all-american, the movie took a little bit of a reach for how athletic he wasn't.
rep

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:17 pm

always a sports season wrote:

amen
Yes, but was all that he went through worth it to only play 2 plays of a game?  And he wouldn't have gotten that if it wasn't for his teammates?

throughout the whole movie he says all he wants to do is play for Notre Dame, so i guess to him all the work he put into it was enough for him to be happy
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Roughrider » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:30 pm

There is a big difference between a natural born athlete and a made athlete. You can make an athlete over time who can be very good but he wont be anything like a natural born athlete. A natural born athlete has that gut instinct in him or her that drives them through their sport. they understand the game really well without being taught much. they are very smart with their decisions. a made athlete can do some of those things too but not to the extent that a natural born athlete can
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:47 pm

amen

Can any one on this site say they have played football for Notre Dame? And it's not all about just getting to play. Look at how much his teammates respected him towards the end of the movie. At the beginning they didn't respect him at all, by the end, they were willing to give up there positions for him.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grizz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:33 pm

I guess some peoples personalities you just can't help but love.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:42 am

baller01 wrote:

amen

Can any one on this site say they have played football for Notre Dame? And it's not all about just getting to play. Look at how much his teammates respected him towards the end of the movie. At the beginning they didn't respect him at all, by the end, they were willing to give up there positions for him.

This is a forum about if a person is born an athlete or if they are groomed?  I do agree "Rudy" is a good story, but he was not a groomed athlete, he was inspiration for the others.  He showed what determination can do, not that he was the greatest athlete on the field!!!

I would say, take a look at Jim Thorpe, he was just a natural athlete, he started very young! He excelled at what ever he did!  I think it all relies on the person.  He never settled for mediocre, he wanted excellence.  Or take a look at Billy Mills, he started off running for run as a kid.  Or what about Steve Nash, he has no height, he doesn't look athletic, but he is probably one of the top guards if not the top guard in the NBA.  It all comes down to the person and the determination if they are going to be a great sportsman or not!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:07 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
baller01 wrote:

amen

This is a forum about if a person is born an athlete or if they are groomed?  I do agree "Rudy" is a good story, but he was not a groomed athlete, he was inspiration for the others.  He showed what determination can do, not that he was the greatest athlete on the field!!!

I would say, take a look at Jim Thorpe, he was just a natural athlete, he started very young! He excelled at what ever he did!  I think it all relies on the person.  He never settled for mediocre, he wanted excellence.  Or take a look at Billy Mills, he started off running for run as a kid.  Or what about Steve Nash, he has no height, he doesn't look athletic, but he is probably one of the top guards if not the top guard in the NBA.  It all comes down to the person and the determination if they are going to be a great sportsman or not!

steve nash isnt athletic though he just has great fundamentals that is what hard work gets you i would be suprised is nash could dunk

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grizz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:13 am

Steve Nash is a pretty athletic guy, but his fundamentals make him who he his. I dont know if theres another guy in the NBA who is more fundamentally sound than Nash.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:20 am

i saw something on ESPN that Jackie Robinson stared in 4 sports while at USC.....i woudl call that natural
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:00 am

baseball wrote:i saw something on ESPN that Jackie Robinson stared in 4 sports while at USC.....i woudl call that natural

I would have to agree, another would be Jim Thorpe, Jesse Owens, Bo Jackson, Dieon Sanders.  I am sure genetics played a roll, just like height and body shape. 

My point about Steve Nash is, that he isn't very athletic, he was not given the tools genetically, he worked his butt off for what he gets and has gotten.  What about guys like Shaquille O'Neal, You throw in the freaks of nature and that throws the whole thing off. So I think it is both that makes the better athlete.  It takes natural ability and hard work or determination
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grizz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:55 pm

I think being around other great athletes definately makes you a better athlete. I know a kid who went to Trinty for some years, and he was an ok sprinter. He transfered to DHS and he became one of the top dog sprinters. Im thinkin that all the competition between themselves in practice made him a stronger athlete. 
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tu-Big » Wed May 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
baseball wrote:i saw something on ESPN that Jackie Robinson stared in 4 sports while at USC.....i woudl call that natural

I would have to agree, another would be Jim Thorpe, Jesse Owens, Bo Jackson, Dieon Sanders.  I am sure genetics played a roll, just like height and body shape. 

My point about Steve Nash is, that he isn't very athletic, he was not given the tools genetically, he worked his butt off for what he gets and has gotten.  What about guys like Shaquille O'Neal, You throw in the freaks of nature and that throws the whole thing off. So I think it is both that makes the better athlete.  It takes natural ability and hard work or determination

Ill agree that he worked his butt off, but ill disagree about him not being athletic. The things that that man can do with a ball are incredible and noone on this planet can play like he does. Another thing is that he played soccer all his life and said once that he probably could have been as good at soccer as basketball, he just enjoyed basketball more. Guys like that have to be considered athletic, i think its rediculous to call him non-athletic. Coordination plays a factor into athleticism and id take a guy who can do the things that he does rather than some guy with a 45 inch verticle, a 4. 3 forty, can dunk but cant do anything else. Another thing id take before athleticism is smarts, which steve nash also has over everybody, some people are born smart, some arent. Maybe nash wasnt born with a body capable of a 45 inch verticle, but half the guys on the Suns werent born with the same type of thinking that he has or the ability to handle the ball like nash, and i can guarantee you that even if they had put as much time into ball handling as nash growing up, they still wouldnt be better than him just because he has the god given coordination to do what he does. i guess the main point im going for is coordination should be looked at more than athleticism, and people considered non-athletic most of the time have incredible hand-eye coordination.
Last edited by Tu-Big on Wed May 16, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tu-Big

Postby nativegolfer » Thu May 17, 2007 5:07 am

Indians Alumni wrote:

Actually he attended UCLA.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys