Are Athletes Born Or Made??

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby grizz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:40 am

I was reading an article in one my English classes the other day, and it really got me thinking. Are athletes made....or born?? I think they have some natural god given talent BUT... look how many hours of training they put in. Most of the greatest athletes start at the early age of 4 or 5.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:43 am

they are born with it but they work to not lose it.  that sounds like im agreeing with both but i really think they are born with it.  but like everyone else they have to work to stay in shape, stay consistant, all that stuff
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby run-n-gun » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:15 am

I think you can be born with athletic abilities like coordination, but you gotta work hard if you wanna separate yourself from everyone esle as an athlete.

run-n-gun
NDPreps Reserve

Postby grizz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:10 am

So do you think everyone can be a good athlete if they train hard for their sport?
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:15 am

It's not just about training hard, it's about having the desire to be great in the sports you participate in.
project-pat

Postby grizz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:22 am

They need desire, but I know plenty of kids who have the desire to play bball or football but they just dont have it in them.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby Brady Langan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:23 am

I think that athletes have to be made iff you want good you have to run and lift weights.
Brady Langan

Postby klg_11 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:23 am

run-n-gun wrote:I think you can be born with athletic abilities like coordination, but you gotta work hard if you wanna separate yourself from everyone esle as an athlete.

i agree you can be born with abilities like good hand eye coordination but i think mainly the biggest thing is hard work, and good work ethics. No one can be just born and grow up never trying to excel in the sport and be much better than anyone, you have got to work hard to excel
klg_11

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:19 pm

klg_11 wrote:
run-n-gun wrote:I think you can be born with athletic abilities like coordination, but you gotta work hard if you wanna separate yourself from everyone esle as an athlete.

i agree you can be born with abilities like good hand eye coordination but i think mainly the biggest thing is hard work, and good work ethics. No one can be just born and grow up never trying to excel in the sport and be much better than anyone, you have got to work hard to excel

ive heard stories, high school and college, that this one kid is the laziest the coach as seen but yet the most talented.  i dont see how during a practice he is lazy but once everyone leaves he is workin his hardest.  thats how i come to the idea that some kids have it and some just dont.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:48 pm

Athletes are born...champions are made.

What I mean is some people are athletes. No matter what they do. They are good at everything athletically. They could have never picked up a basketball before and instantly are pretty good. They may have never skated before and instantly they can fly down the ice. Athleticism is God given just like smarts. You see some people that maintain a 4.0 there whole life and never studied and extra bit and then you see the  kid that has trouble making the B honor and he puts an extra 3 hours into his studies every night.

However, you might be the most athletic person in the world, but if you don't do anything else, you never will excell to your full potentail. No one is born a champion. You have to work for that. But I do believe you are born with athleticism. Kids that are born and by the 7th grade can dunk it (like Tracy McGrady) and have never lifted wegihts in there life, ya, that's all God given.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby run-n-gun » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:29 pm

But if your not born with athletic ability you cant train as hard as others that were born with athleticism

run-n-gun
NDPreps Reserve

Postby run-n-gun » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:32 pm

grizz wrote:They need desire, but I know plenty of kids who have the desire to play bball or football but they just dont have it in them.

I agree. I've seen kids that looked like they could barely walk down a street their freshmen year, then by the time they were seniors they were a force for their team. That shows the amount of desire and hard work they put in to get better.
run-n-gun
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kobe4mvp » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:22 pm

grizz wrote:I was reading an article in one my English classes the other day, and it really got me thinking. Are athletes made....or born?? I think they have some natural god given talent BUT... look how many hours of training they put in. Most of the greatest athletes start at the early age of 4 or 5.
after you made that statement there is really no reason for this topic. you can be born with talent but if you put in the hardwork you can also be made.
kobe4mvp

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:29 pm

kobe4mvp wrote:
grizz wrote:I was reading an article in one my English classes the other day, and it really got me thinking. Are athletes made....or born?? I think they have some natural god given talent BUT... look how many hours of training they put in. Most of the greatest athletes start at the early age of 4 or 5.
after you made that statement there is really no reason for this topic. you can be born with talent but if you put in the hardwork you can also be made.

thats why he started the topic...they both play a big part but which is more important??? work or born athleticism
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:05 pm

For those of you that don't think you are born with athleticism. How do you explain the guy that is 5'10" and never lifted weights a day in his life, and can jump out of the gym. If you weren't born with that, then how come there are so many people out there like that?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:21 am

Born athletic, but skills involved in sport must be practiced.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby magic715 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Born athletic, but skills involved in sport must be practiced.

Completely agree, like shooting, you are not born to shoot(maybe hand  eye coordination), you have to practice, also hitting a baseball. The running speed , quickness, leaping ability is God given, but those also have to be worked on to get full potential.
magic715

Postby always a sports season » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:29 pm

Born athletic but champions are made by hard work. 
always a sports season

Postby baller01 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:31 pm

baller01 wrote:Athletes are born...champions are made.

Already a step ahead of ya man, haha.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby always a sports season » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:34 pm

Yep - you were!
always a sports season

Postby ballaholic#3 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:46 pm

athletes are born but players are made
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:38 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:athletes are born but players are made

i have seen some players who never work but are pure shooters so idk mobley went pro and dint start playin until his junior or senior year so idk i think you can be just naturally great at basketball the stuff oj mayo did as a 5th grader i cant even do now

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grizz » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:43 pm

Yeah well obviously you have to be born with some athletic talent. But champions train their butts off to become great. I think anyone can become "mediocre" at anything they want
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:21 am

Hopefully this isn't getting to off track but was Babe Ruth born an athlete or did he make himself a athlete?? Considered one of the greatest baseball players of all time, and I don't think drinking beer and smoking help make an athlete. Thoughts?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:24 am

I would have to think that Genetics play some sort of role in a persons build and muscle structure!  But, it also has to do with what you do as a youngster.  Before the age of 9 years old, you grow muscle, and after the age of 9, you can only build with what you got.  So if you are pretty active as a child the better chances of you becoming an better athlete in the future. 

Same goes for Brain matter also!!!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys