College Basketball Players

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby urserious » Wed May 02, 2007 5:25 pm

i dont understand how u can think that playin JV doesnt count as playin college...u do all the same stuff as anyone else....lift, practice, pro times everthin the only difference is that you play against JC colleges wow i guess that doesnt count at all...and there have been alot of ppl that have played JV and gone on to play and start varsity
Last edited by urserious on Wed May 02, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nd_sports_fan » Wed May 02, 2007 8:13 pm

pretty sure i was serious
nd_sports_fan

Postby urserious » Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 pm

well im pretty sure u have no idea what u are talkin about
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 pm

nd_sports_fan wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
thehills1984 wrote:[user=2711]Swine-O[/user] wrote:
[user=1019]north_border_eagles2106[/user] wrote:
From Region 2 -

North Border - Aaron Bonaime, Warren Eagan, Nathan Carrier, Marcus Morrison, Mike Mathison
Park River - Justin Moe, Tyler Moe?
Valley Edinburg - Bryce Laxdal
Fordville-Lankin - Thomas Dryburgh
May-Port CG - Craig Nelson, Kyle Nelson, Travis Kraft, James Baldwin, Luke Lorenz, Steve Trudeau, Tom Jacobson, Matt Swift, Chuck Klabo (i'm pretty sure the last two  played)
Finley Sharon - Chris Reinhart
Thompson - Joe Jones
Hillsboro - Andy Leraas, Ethan Evenson, Shane Vettel
Larimore - Micah Berge, Ryan Opdahl
Central Valley - Jake Foley, Curt Hong

That's 26 players, I'm positive on all but about 2 or 3 of them not sure if they played college basketball.  Mathison, Moe, and Lorenz are all going to play college basketball so thats why they are on this list.  These are all just from the last ten years or so.  Cavalier had some great athletes that decided to play college football instead of basketball such as Brady Trenbeath and Matt Anderson.

How many of these are from 2000 and onwards? because 26 college players in 6 years would be pretty impressive. I also said I wasnt including players who have yet to play in college, so mathison wouldnt count.

There are 7 total then that you wouldn't count.  Jacobson, Swift, Kraft, Lorenz, Klabo, Mathison and Moe.  That is 19

There is also, Derrick Rogers from Hatton, Riley Lillemoan from Hatton, Kade Coles, from Hillsboro, Kyle Olsen from Hillsboro, Andy Paulson from Hillsboro. So there is 5 more to make it 24

Where the heck did this kid play?  I was coaching when he was in high school and he was not a great player.  I can't believe he played college somewhere.  Same with Lillemoen, too.  I know he played a year or two JV at Mayville.  I'm sorry but I just don't think playing a year or two on some JV counts as playing in college.  They pretty much take anyone to play so the varsity has a practice squad.  I mean I played one year JV in college, too, but I don't consider myself a college bball player. 

Adding more to the region 2.

Dakota Prairie

Kalyn Luehring- Lake Region, then Valley City

Jeremiah Messener- Lake Region

Tanner Johnson- Lake Region

I have to agree with ndlionsfan, if you play on jv team in college your really just wasting your time. I am pretty sure this puts Laxdal in this category and Morrison (not sure on morrison though). Laxdal wasn't that good of a player in high school, so i don't know how he could play college bball, but thats why he plays jv at mayville i guess. I don't know how Mathison is good enough to play college bball either, has no coordination at all. The only thing he has going for him is size. I still think region 2 is definetly leading in this category though. Didn't brady trenbeath's brother play anywhere?
So being all-conference for three years in a district with many good individual players isn't good?  Being the second best player in the district you're senior year only behind Brady Trenbeath isn't good?  Averaging 20 points a game and right around 10 rebounds as a senior isn't good?  You must be someone who has a personal grudge against him because if you really think he wasn't good in high school you are the dumbest person on this site.  Since he was recruited to play basketball here and since they have been a national contender for the three years he's been a part of it I think you can consider him a worthy candidate to put on this list.  The JV schedule for games was against Juco's as well so anyone on those other teams that plays Juco's can't count either I guess if you don't consider someone who was a part of the only team in North Dakota history to compete for a national championship in basketball.  GOOD ONE
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:43 am

i totally agree with you. laxdahl was a very good high school player. we just have to remember he was recruited by terry layton. yes the same terry layton that brought oywale and peter lowry. No offense to bryce laxdahl he's a good player but i could of got recruited from layton.
PA42

Postby nd_sports_fan » Thu May 03, 2007 3:39 pm

laxdal was a decent player, but not the second best player in the district. i would say james thompson, chad berg, craig anderson, allen sitzer, ryan mclain (not sure on the spelling), morrison, and brandon omdahl were all better then him. laxdal was a good player, but he wasn't even the best player on his team. If he didn't have these other decent players on his team would have been easy to shut down. All i'm saying is playing jv is a waste of time, if your good enough to play varsity they would probably red shirt you first year instead of wasting a year of eligibility on the jv team.
nd_sports_fan

Postby The Schwab » Thu May 03, 2007 6:01 pm

nd_sports_fan wrote:laxdal was a decent player, but not the second best player in the district. i would say james thompson, chad berg, craig anderson, allen sitzer, ryan mclain (not sure on the spelling), morrison, and brandon omdahl were all better then him. laxdal was a good player, but he wasn't even the best player on his team. If he didn't have these other decent players on his team would have been easy to shut down. All i'm saying is playing jv is a waste of time, if your good enough to play varsity they would probably red shirt you first year instead of wasting a year of eligibility on the jv team.
Alright....this fiasco needed to stop.....yesterday............I would give you chad berg maybe being better than him, but saying bryce laxdal wasn't the best player on his high school team would be like saying Ronnie Turiaf is the best player on the Lakers....playing J.V. at mayville isn't as bad as you make it sound, they get to practice with the varsity, and we all know what they did this year....so that will make them better. Also, if you haven't noticed Bryce's game has completly morphed since he was a senior in high school, he has turned into more of a perimeter player, but with his experiance playing in the post all through high school...I would just like to know how this all started, you have like 10 posts and most of them have been bashing bryce.......personal grudge......maybe did something to make you angry.......just trying to figure out your reason...but most of all you logic......next.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby nd_sports_fan » Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 pm

The Schwab wrote:
nd_sports_fan wrote:laxdal was a decent player, but not the second best player in the district. i would say james thompson, chad berg, craig anderson, allen sitzer, ryan mclain (not sure on the spelling), morrison, and brandon omdahl were all better then him. laxdal was a good player, but he wasn't even the best player on his team. If he didn't have these other decent players on his team would have been easy to shut down. All i'm saying is playing jv is a waste of time, if your good enough to play varsity they would probably red shirt you first year instead of wasting a year of eligibility on the jv team.
Alright....this fiasco needed to stop.....yesterday............I would give you chad berg maybe being better than him, but saying bryce laxdal wasn't the best player on his high school team would be like saying Ronnie Turiaf is the best player on the Lakers....playing J.V. at mayville isn't as bad as you make it sound, they get to practice with the varsity, and we all know what they did this year....so that will make them better. Also, if you haven't noticed Bryce's game has completly morphed since he was a senior in high school, he has turned into more of a perimeter player, but with his experiance playing in the post all through high school...I would just like to know how this all started, you have like 10 posts and most of them have been bashing bryce.......personal grudge......maybe did something to make you angry.......just trying to figure out your reason...but most of all you logic......next.

actually i have no problem bryce laxdal. don't even know him that well, but i did watch him play quite a bit in high school and he wasn't the best player on his team. definently was not the most athletic. when laxdal plays on the varsity team let me know and then i will say he has accomplished something because a lot of people could play jv there. mayville has very good varsity team, but honsetly who cares if they practice with them. i would be willing to say i find a lot of people that agree with me. i'm done commenting on this subject.
nd_sports_fan

Postby The Schwab » Thu May 03, 2007 8:25 pm

nd_sports_fan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

actually i have no problem bryce laxdal. don't even know him that well, but i did watch him play quite a bit in high school and he wasn't the best player on his team. definently was not the most athletic. when laxdal plays on the varsity team let me know and then i will say he has accomplished something because a lot of people could play jv there. mayville has very good varsity team, but honsetly who cares if they practice with them. i would be willing to say i find a lot of people that agree with me. i'm done commenting on this subject.
who was?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby urserious » Thu May 03, 2007 9:09 pm

wowo he was the best player on his team for 3 years...and i agree he wasnt the most athletic player on his team...but either is dirk...
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby urserious » Thu May 03, 2007 10:50 pm

since u wanted to know when laxdal played varsity...he played in the NAIA nation tournament...for the only team in ND history to play for a national championship...i think you need to give this arguement up...talk about somethin u actually know
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wombat » Thu May 03, 2007 11:52 pm

I go to Mayville State and know Laxdal pretty well. I know that his first year at this school was the year that Smith took over as head coach and Laxdal did not play that year... It was his second year and now third that he played on the team and he was recruited by Smith, NOT Layton. And if Layton had not been replaced I could very well see Laxdal starting for one of his teams (Although I'd be more proud to be on one of Smith's JV teams than Layton's varsity myelf)

A lot of people lose sight of the real reason people go to college, it is in fact to get an EDUCATION. Mayville has one of the best Education programs in this country, and that just so happens to be what Bryce Laxdal is going into. And to try to discredit him by saying "He only plays on the JV team" is moronic. Mayville State's JV team plays a schedule made up primarily of Junior College's like Wahpeton, Lake Region, Williston, Northland, Fergus Falls, and others. I personally was at a game last season where Mayville brought only 5 players to a JV game against NTCC (on the road) and lost by less than 10 points. They are competitive team made up of very solid players.

Maybe if you don't think that Mayville's JV is worth playing on you should remember that they were the ONLY North Dakota college basketball team of ANY division to play in a post season tournament (where Laxdal, by the way, got minutes on the floor) And that Mayville is indeed the ONLY team in the HISTORY of North Dakota to play for a National Championship EVER in any year, or in any division of college BB.

A lot of places don't even have JV programs. Most teams don't have the numbers to field one like mayville does! but aside from that, what is the difference if he is on the team, practices with the varsity, lifts weights with them, does summer work-outs with the team, travels, dresses and does EVERYTHING else the varsity does and gets a few minutes here and there PLUS has to play a JV schedule than someone else who is on a college team, and rides the pine and NEVER sees the floor in any situation whether it be JV or varsity... He might not be playing a lot now, but when he does get a chance in his 3rd or 4th year at least he'll have game experience! which is more than most reserves on teams that DO NOT have JV's can say.

Most players on prominant college athletic teams don't start for 4 years, so I don't know why everyone is ripping on him when he's doing everything in his powers to get to play for a year or two.

A few other names from the JV roster from the past 2 seasons at one time or another that might be recognized are Micah Berge-Larimore, Ethan Evenson-Hillsboro, Derek Gathman-Devil's Lake, Reid Flagan-Beaulah, Nick Bata-PBK...

These are all names who have been talked up a LOT on this very website and no one seems to want to talk smack about them.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri May 04, 2007 5:59 am

I agree in saying that this Laxdal kid is a true college bball player.  I don't care if he was mostly JV, if he got some valuable minutes at the national tourney he's a varsity player.  I still say that some of these kids that go to a college and only play JV for the entire time can't call themselves college bball players.  Anybody can walkon to a JV team or practice squad if they want to continue playing bball.  To me, to consider yourself a college bball player you would have to be recruited to play, actually stick with it, and eventually get some decent playing time at the varsity level. 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Fri May 04, 2007 9:54 am

That is not entirely true either NDLionsFan... I know for a fact that when Laxdal and Morrison decided to give it a shot here at Mayville that they had to try out for the team and were the only ones selected out of about 7-8 people... this last year I am fairly confident thatonly 1 player who tried to walk on was picked for the team. Not just any Joe Schmo can walk in off the streets and play for Mayville, I don't know what it's like at other colleges.
Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Wombat wrote:I go to Mayville State and know Laxdal pretty well. I know that his first year at this school was the year that Smith took over as head coach and Laxdal did not play that year... It was his second year and now third that he played on the team and he was recruited by Smith, NOT Layton. And if Layton had not been replaced I could very well see Laxdal starting for one of his teams (Although I'd be more proud to be on one of Smith's JV teams than Layton's varsity myelf)

A lot of people lose sight of the real reason people go to college, it is in fact to get an EDUCATION. Mayville has one of the best Education programs in this country, and that just so happens to be what Bryce Laxdal is going into. And to try to discredit him by saying "He only plays on the JV team" is moronic. Mayville State's JV team plays a schedule made up primarily of Junior College's like Wahpeton, Lake Region, Williston, Northland, Fergus Falls, and others. I personally was at a game last season where Mayville brought only 5 players to a JV game against NTCC (on the road) and lost by less than 10 points. They are competitive team made up of very solid players.

Maybe if you don't think that Mayville's JV is worth playing on you should remember that they were the ONLY North Dakota college basketball team of ANY division to play in a post season tournament (where Laxdal, by the way, got minutes on the floor) And that Mayville is indeed the ONLY team in the HISTORY of North Dakota to play for a National Championship EVER in any year, or in any division of college BB.

A lot of places don't even have JV programs. Most teams don't have the numbers to field one like mayville does! but aside from that, what is the difference if he is on the team, practices with the varsity, lifts weights with them, does summer work-outs with the team, travels, dresses and does EVERYTHING else the varsity does and gets a few minutes here and there PLUS has to play a JV schedule than someone else who is on a college team, and rides the pine and NEVER sees the floor in any situation whether it be JV or varsity... He might not be playing a lot now, but when he does get a chance in his 3rd or 4th year at least he'll have game experience! which is more than most reserves on teams that DO NOT have JV's can say.

Most players on prominant college athletic teams don't start for 4 years, so I don't know why everyone is ripping on him when he's doing everything in his powers to get to play for a year or two.

A few other names from the JV roster from the past 2 seasons at one time or another that might be recognized are Micah Berge-Larimore, Ethan Evenson-Hillsboro, Derek Gathman-Devil's Lake, Reid Flagan-Beaulah, Nick Bata-PBK...

These are all names who have been talked up a LOT on this very website and no one seems to want to talk smack about them.
bryce laxdahl originally sgned when layton was head coach. i don't know why he did not play but i remember reading in the herald that he was recruited by layton.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri May 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Ok horne98 I know for a fact that Bryce wasn't recruited by Layton because, I asked him myself.  I will take his word over yours any day when it comes to that subject.  I also think this last page here has gone on for a bit too long because:

Bryce was the best player on his team as a senior (and sophomore/junior year)

Bryce was the second best player in the district his senior year.  I can't believe half of the guys named ahead of him.  James Thompson? Are you serious?  Brandon Omdahl, Chad Berg and Allen Sitzer were all Juniors when Bryce was a senior.  Berg was better as a senior but not as a junior.  Ryan Mclain was a good player but he was on a team where they didn't care if he shot the ball every time because no one on that Midway team was very good at the time.

And lastly... Bryce Laxdal is a COLLEGE BASKETBALL PLAYER...PERIOD
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wombat » Mon May 07, 2007 12:41 pm

When I was a senior I read in the newspaper that I had signed a letter of intent to wrestle at Moorhead State... But I never signed any letters, the closest thing to signing at that point was that I had told the coach that I was leaning towards MSUM, but still hadn't made up my mind... next thing you know i'm in the paper as part of their recruiting class. Don't believe everything you read or hear...
Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Mon May 07, 2007 12:56 pm

media makes mistakes all the time...my senior year i thought our football team had made the playoffs because the newspaper said we did...we lost our last game of the season by two and i found out after the game we would have been playoff-eligible had we lost to grafton by seven points and not six...goodbye high school football career.

i certainly won't point figures at the newspaper who gaffed on that one...let's just say i don't have plans to buy a subscription to the trail county tribune any time soon. but no pointing fingers, and certainly no resentment on my part.
rep

Postby Wombat » Mon May 07, 2007 6:29 pm

kind of reminds me of my junior year in football, we had to win by 13 to win the region, or lose by 6 or less to take second, but if we lost by more than 6 or won by less than 13 we would get third and couldn't host a play-off game... crazy how some of those situations unfold.
Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tylerlee04 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:51 am

juco is more than average basketball...when i played at bottineau i played against or with about 10 or more players that went DI or D2. when you get to Minot State or some other DAC school you play very little if any D1 or D2 talent.
tylerlee04

Postby Wildcat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm

Don't forget Brock Zietz for Kenmare in Region 6 players.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: College Basketball Players

Postby dunseithdragon06 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:48 am

Region 6
Dunseith: adam hunt, Clifford Gillis, Kelle Davis, Danny Gunville, Derric Chase, Josh Decoteau, Mitchell Davis,
Bottineau: Billy Schauffen, Derek Aus, Kelly Roemmich, Jason Guss, Laren Lamb
Rugby: Justin Keller,
Velva: Ben Sundag, Joe Effortz,
Kenmare: Kacy Keysor, Shane Heidel, Luke Melgard, Seth Graveson
Bishop Ryan: Jared Essler even tho i think he played football, Mitch Meyer, Braden Bosch, Bojan Janic
Berthold: Taylor Mau, Adam Grant, Chris Brown
ORCS: Brady Wheeler
DL-B: Robbie Getzlaff
Mohall: Nate Beckman
Westhope/Newburg: Jordan Cooper
Glenburn: Tyler Lee, Nick Lee, David Undlin, Kevin Thom
dunseithdragon06
NDPreps Reserve

Re: College Basketball Players

Postby vikes123 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:02 am

Region 6 has thrown some college ballers out there so don't forget them!
vikes123

Re:

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:59 pm

Swine-O wrote:I've been working on making up a list for all of the college basketball players to come from region 7 in the past few years and i was wondering if any other region in the state has produced as many as region 7 has.

Heres the list:

Tyler Greff (Mott Regent)

Jaden Voth, Jesse Voth (Glen Ulin)

Jeff Smith (Hettinger)

Peyton Tivis, Derek Pauley (Bowman)

Adam Ottmar (Killdeer)

Greg Batke (Hazen)

Steele Tescher (Beach)

Josh Messer (Richardton)

And from Dickinson Trinity: Chad Glasser, Joey Steiner, Trevor Ernst, Brady Ernst, Ryan Ernst, Scott Torgersen, Scott Huffman, Matt Ukestad, and Mat Hirst.

I am sure there are a few players that I am missing but these are the ones I remember who went on to play college basketball, not to mention the countless other athletes who came from this region and went on to accel in other sports as well. I am also not including kids who played this season and have yet to play in college or upcoming prospects from region 7. That's 19 overall in the past 7 or 8 years. Any other regions compare to this?????

Just read down the previous posts in this thread, there are quite a few other regions that have impressive numbers.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys