Best Class "B" Shooters

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby AandBfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:00 am

Theres been better but Mike Stowman was an impressive shooter
AandBfan

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:06 am

AandBfan wrote:Theres been better but Mike Stowman was an impressive shooter
i would put him up there in the top 5 that i've seen......man he could shoot the lights out.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:18 am

Maybe it's just me - but I do feel that the shooters of the 70's and the 80's overall were a lot better than the best shooters there is today.
Guys like Steve Blehm, Todd Olson, Brian Buhr, Danny Peltier (late 80's early 90's) John Rygg, etc. These guys could flat out SHOOT THE BALL! and shoot from anywhere with double teams. The players now just don't have that same type of ability as a group. I havent seen one guy that could shoot the ball better than Buhr, or Olson in the last 15 yrs. I never was able to see Rygg or Blehm - but obviously Blehm was unbelievable and I have heard enough of the same stories from different people about Rygg to believe them.
I'm not trying to put down the athletes or shooters of today - I'm just saying that they really don't compete with these guys from yesteryear. Anybody agree with this - or am I way off in your opinion.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:41 am

BB11 wrote:Maybe it's just me - but I do feel that the shooters of the 70's and the 80's overall were a lot better than the best shooters there is today.
Guys like Steve Blehm, Todd Olson, Brian Buhr, Danny Peltier (late 80's early 90's) John Rygg, etc. These guys could flat out SHOOT THE BALL! and shoot from anywhere with double teams. The players now just don't have that same type of ability as a group. I havent seen one guy that could shoot the ball better than Buhr, or Olson in the last 15 yrs. I never was able to see Rygg or Blehm - but obviously Blehm was unbelievable and I have heard enough of the same stories from different people about Rygg to believe them.
I'm not trying to put down the athletes or shooters of today - I'm just saying that they really don't compete with these guys from yesteryear. Anybody agree with this - or am I way off in your opinion.
i would agree with you...because now a days.....people just rely on sheer athleticism......there are still great shooters out there...but not as many
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tu-Big » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:35 pm

One kid that gets over looked is Jake Wheeling from Killdeer, the kid was tearing it up since he was a freshman and was one of the most clutch free-throw shooters i have ever seen, once hit 3 in a row with no time remaining in a district tournament game to send it into OT, very tough to do if you ask me especially in District 14. He averaged around 20 a game for his career while taking around 12-15 shots a game.
Tu-Big

Postby Roughrider » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:05 pm

If you say Wheeling from killdeer than you have to include Payton Tivis from Bowman. He averaged in the 20's and could pretty much make any shot on the basketball court. some of the stuff that went in that he shot i could not believe they went in
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguy2 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:13 pm

AandBfan wrote:Theres been better but Mike Stowman was an impressive shooter

Stowman was a good one....another one i saw Jake Holen....Between the 2 i would say Holen was better IMO
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tu-Big » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Roughrider wrote:If you say Wheeling from killdeer than you have to include Payton Tivis from Bowman. He averaged in the 20's and could pretty much make any shot on the basketball court. some of the stuff that went in that he shot i could not believe they went in

Agrreed, also gotta throw in Smith from Hettinger, the kid averaged 30 his senior year...
Tu-Big

Postby rez01 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Being from Standing Rock I'd have to put Felix Young Bird and Cody Two Bears up there, both could launch it from anywhere behind the 3 point line and make it look easy.
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BBall dominator » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:20 pm

[user=1569]rez01[/user] wrote:
Being from Standing Rock I'd have to put Felix Young Bird and Cody Two Bears up there, both could launch it from anywhere behind the 3 point line and make it look easy.

yea cody was though would've been even better if he could use his left hand a tiny bit
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rez01 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:46 pm

dominationSCS wrote:[user=1569]rez01[/user] wrote:

yea cody was though would've been even better if he could use his left hand a tiny bit

Yea we used to tease him about that in practice lol
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PA42 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:50 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Alright alright it doesn't matter what his form is this is just a topic for a good shooter.  So I will name another good shooter, Justin Rowe of the North Border Bandits was a great shooter back in the day.  Other ones from recent years are Casey Nelson from Thompson, Dustin Klath of MPCG, and Jake Foley of CV.

i would not put dustin klath in that group. Everyone who went the dakota prarie game during districts suddenly thought that he was a pure shooter. He was actually an average or maybe below average at shooting. Don't get me wrong dustin is a really good basketball player who does a lot of the excellent things on the court i just don't know if i would put him in this group. And if you are talking about form dustin has a pretty nice looking smooth jump shot. The other two guys you mentioned have more of an unorthodox form.
PA42

Postby jetblue12 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:34 am

horne98 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Alright alright it doesn't matter what his form is this is just a topic for a good shooter.  So I will name another good shooter, Justin Rowe of the North Border Bandits was a great shooter back in the day.  Other ones from recent years are Casey Nelson from Thompson, Dustin Klath of MPCG, and Jake Foley of CV.

i would not put dustin klath in that group. Everyone who went the dakota prarie game during districts suddenly thought that he was a pure shooter. He was actually an average or maybe below average at shooting. Don't get me wrong dustin is a really good basketball player who does a lot of the excellent things on the court i just don't know if i would put him in this group. And if you are talking about form dustin has a pretty nice looking smooth jump shot. The other two guys you mentioned have more of an unorthodox form.

i will have to disagree with that statement.  i thought klath had a excellent year and the 8-9 times i seen him play this year it seemed like every shot he threw up would go in.  i would put him average / above average shooting wise.   i dont know much about justin rowe.  jake foley has a weird looking flick shot but he was a above average shooter.   and i dont know whats unorthodox in casey nelsons shot, maybe it looks different coming from the left hand.  klaths shot maybe looks better than nelsons but i didnt see the an unorthodox form from him.  all 3 were money shooters when the game is on the line and im sure rowe was too
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:38 am

Todd Wold
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Fletch Jr. » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:52 am

BB11 wrote:Maybe it's just me - but I do feel that the shooters of the 70's and the 80's overall were a lot better than the best shooters there is today.

Then you never saw Greg Routledge from Glenburn.  1996-97 season he had around 110 threes going into the state tourney.  he had ten threes in the first half of a game including two four pt plays.  That is a shooter!
Fletch Jr.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:00 am

One shooter to watch is Demry Lawrence from FW.  Kid is a freshman and can shoot the lights out, he will be playing this weekend in Grand Forks, so if you get a chance to watch, come see, they are a pretty exciting team to watch.  They are the Fort Totten Braves.  They will be wearing Woodlake uni's!

CJ IronHeart has another year so he is going to be one to launch.  It is going to be nice to have two shooters from each corner, man that is going to be tough to guard! 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:23 am

Indians Alumni wrote:One shooter to watch is Demry Lawrence from FW.  Kid is a freshman and can shoot the lights out, he will be playing this weekend in Grand Forks, so if you get a chance to watch, come see, they are a pretty exciting team to watch.  They are the Fort Totten Braves.  They will be wearing Woodlake uni's!

CJ IronHeart has another year so he is going to be one to launch.  It is going to be nice to have two shooters from each corner, man that is going to be tough to guard! 

who will run the point next year to dish the ball to the 2 in the corner?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:41 am

[user=1114]Fletch Jr.[/user] wrote:

Then you never saw Greg Routledge from Glenburn.  1996-97 season he had around 110 threes going into the state tourney.  he had ten threes in the first half of a game including two four pt plays.  That is a shooter!

Yes - Routledge was a great shooter - and yes I saw him play. He would be in the same league as a Peltier and maybe even Buhr. Olson was still the best I've seen this state offer as far as shooters go - Routledge would be a step down from Olson - although he was an outstanding shooter.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby nd_sports_fan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:41 am

I would add Chad Berg from Grafton and Andy Leraas from Hillsboro, both could flat shoot the ball and put up points in a hurry.
nd_sports_fan

Postby run-n-gun » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:20 am

Tu-Big wrote:
Roughrider wrote:If you say Wheeling from killdeer than you have to include Payton Tivis from Bowman. He averaged in the 20's and could pretty much make any shot on the basketball court. some of the stuff that went in that he shot i could not believe they went in

Agrreed, also gotta throw in Smith from Hettinger, the kid averaged 30 his senior year...

Exactly, Jeff Smith was one of the better shooters in his entire region. Got good looks because he could also drive and wasnt one demensional.
run-n-gun
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:46 am

jetblue12 wrote:
horne98 wrote:

i will have to disagree with that statement.  i thought klath had a excellent year and the 8-9 times i seen him play this year it seemed like every shot he threw up would go in.  i would put him average / above average shooting wise.   i dont know much about justin rowe.  jake foley has a weird looking flick shot but he was a above average shooter.   and i dont know whats unorthodox in casey nelsons shot, maybe it looks different coming from the left hand.  klaths shot maybe looks better than nelsons but i didnt see the an unorthodox form from him.  all 3 were money shooters when the game is on the line and im sure rowe was too
Justin Rowe was a North Border Bandit and graduated in 1999 I believe so I wasn't too surprised when not many knew about him.  He had one of the purest shots that i've seen from a high school kid and moved without the ball very well.  Casey Nelson's shot was not unorthodox by any stretch of the imagination.  He had a perfect form from the left hand side and vastly improved his shooting from his junior to senior season.  His shot making ability kept Thompson in a lot of games this year when Hegg and Myron struggled for a majority of the year.  Jake Foley does have an unconventional form and is a pretty streaky shooter but I would still say he's one of the better ones, he lead the state in 3's made as a Junior so he obviously knows how to shoot it.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:05 am

baseball wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:One shooter to watch is Demry Lawrence from FW.  Kid is a freshman and can shoot the lights out, he will be playing this weekend in Grand Forks, so if you get a chance to watch, come see, they are a pretty exciting team to watch.  They are the Fort Totten Braves.  They will be wearing Woodlake uni's!

I would have to say that Chuckie Lovejoy maybe running the point!  I don't know.  I have to admit that is going to be a tough one!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:08 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
baseball wrote:

I would have to say that Chuckie Lovejoy maybe running the point!  I don't know.  I have to admit that is going to be a tough one!

yea....it doesnt matter how great a shooters they are if the PG cant get them the ball.  Ironheart was great at getting the ball to the right person
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby run-n-gun » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:59 pm

Some shooters to look for in the future would be the Watford City b team. Saw a few of their games and some of those guys can flat out shoot.
run-n-gun
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kobe4mvp » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Mathew Belgarde of Dunseith could flat out shoot the ball back in his day I mean the guy could shoot the 3, mid range, the running jumpers, I mean the guy would fade back and hit shots from all over the court.
kobe4mvp

PreviousNext

Return to Boys