Offseason Work

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:14 pm

Name some of the stuff you guys do to improve your game in the off-season, what kind of weight lifting programs, and individual stuff, etc???
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jwall512 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:13 pm

Shoot around a lot and liftweights
Stupid is as Stupid does

-Forrest Gump
Jwall512
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:52 pm

repeat the holy mantra: complex combos
rep

Postby simply the best 10 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:52 pm

Shot jumpshots for 2-4 hrs. everyday and lift a little.
"Greatness consists in trying to be great. There is no other way."

"Skill and confidence are an unconquered army."
simply the best 10
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan_05 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:42 pm

simply the best 10 wrote:Shot jumpshots for 2-4 hrs. everyday and lift a little.

Depends on how vigorous your workout is, incorporate ballhandling in with shooting around. Work about 10-15 mins on ball handling drills, and a good hr on shooting. Do all of this at game speed as long as you can go, gotta push yourself or you wont get anything done. Lift about 3 times a week i think would be good.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:54 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:
simply the best 10 wrote:Shot jumpshots for 2-4 hrs. everyday and lift a little.

Depends on how vigorous your workout is, incorporate ballhandling in with shooting around. Work about 10-15 mins on ball handling drills, and a good hr on shooting. Do all of this at game speed as long as you can go, gotta push yourself or you wont get anything done. Lift about 3 times a week i think would be good.

I have to agree. Some players will go into the gym and will sit in there for 5 hours a day and did nothing but stand around and shoot. I'm not saying thats what you did I'm just saying thats what some do.

"It's not how many hours you put in, it's what you put into the hours."
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:13 pm

baller01 wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:

I have to agree. Some players will go into the gym and will sit in there for 5 hours a day and did nothing but stand around and shoot. I'm not saying thats what you did I'm just saying thats what some do.

"It's not how many hours you put in, it's what you put into the hours."
Exactly, nice quote by the way.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:38 am

In the offseason it's important to do more then just lift weights and shoot.  If you're a guard I would obviously work on shooting and ball handling.  Taking shots off the dribble or from a catch a shoot situation are equally important.  Making sure you do more then just lift weights is important too.  On days where you're doing your lifting you should also do straight conditioning such as running outside, on a treadmill or laps in the gym.  If you are able to afford going to a summer acceleration program I would highly suggest it because they don't allow you to slack off.  Everyone here knows in the summer there are days you don't want to work out hard every day but at these places the trainers push you everyday and make sure to get the most out of you.  I would also make sure if you have a workout buddy to make sure you know its someone that wants to work as hard as you do.  Going up there with someone who slacks off will more then likely turn you into a slacker.  You will find that stretching out before and after you're workout will help you greatly become a better player as well. Stretching is the most important aspect of working out.  If you are well stretched you'll have a better workout and won't be as sore as you would had you not stretched.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:26 am

There are many things to work on in the off season!  You have to first find out what your weakness is and work on that!  Also, a good strength training program should be followed.  A guy can never shoot enough free throws.  I have seen many missed free throws. 

I would also get into some sort of summer strength and conditioning program.  UND has a great one, and there are many you can follow.  Depends on what you want!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby run-n-gun » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:18 pm

I think it is best if teams are playing together for most of the summer. If players can work hard on their individual skills, then learn to put that into the team system, that will create better players and a better team.
run-n-gun
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Tu-Big » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:01 pm

I think that one of the most important things a kid can do besides the shooting and lifting is getting out and playing against better kids whether it be at a rec center in a larger town thats around you...or going out with traveling teams and playing in tournaments. You learn so much more by playing people who force you out of your comfort zone than if you were just beating up on 7th grade kids at an open gym in town. Dont get me wrong, you need to get to as many open gyms as you can in order to play with your teammates and improve that way, but as far as individually getting better, it always helps to go to the local Y or Rec center and play against some college guys or other high school players.
Tu-Big

Return to Boys