Minot Daily News Article

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby koopa » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:18 am

Outmanned but not outdone

[align=justify]Winning a Class B boys state championship has proven to be a daunting task for even the spunkiest of small-town schools in North Dakota.

According to statistics compiled by the North Dakota High School Activity Association Department of Public Instruction, since 1970 just seven teams with enrollments of 100 or less in grades 9-12 have won the title, making Parshall’s win over the comparatively massive Dickinson Trinity (173 enrolled) March 17 all the more impressive.

In September 2006, Parshall’s reported enrollment in grades 9-12 was 70, giving it the second lowest enrollment â€â€
koopa

Postby letsgosox » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:36 am

[quote="koopa"]Outmanned but not outdone

[align=justify]Winning a Class B boys state championship has proven to be a daunting task for even the spunkiest of small-town schools in North Dakota.

According to statistics compiled by the North Dakota High School Activity Association Department of Public Instruction, since 1970 just seven teams with enrollments of 100 or less in grades 9-12 have won the title, making Parshall’s win over the comparatively massive Dickinson Trinity (173 enrolled) March 17 all the more impressive.

In September 2006, Parshall’s reported enrollment in grades 9-12 was 70, giving it the second lowest enrollment â€â€
letsgosox

Postby sportsperson » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:49 am

How is this a bogus article? It seems fine to me.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguy2 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:15 am

I would say it was a good article
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:17 am

NDHSAA are you listening? ND Coaches and ADs do you see this?

RIGHT ON!!!
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby grizz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:58 am

It's a well written article, but theres nothing you can do about enrollment. If you guys are asking for the 3 class bball system in ND, that will pretty much mean the end of high school bball here as we know it. There is just not enough teams to have good competition.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:21 am

personally, i don't think MPCG, Dickinson Trinity, etc. have "massive" enrollment numbers.  It's hardly the fairy tale we make it up to be (Hoosiers).  these are all small schools, imo.  if the small schools are getting too small, then they should coop with another small school. don't dilute the competition by creating another class.  even if we create a 3rd class, schools are going to continue to consolidate because of reasons other than sports.  this in turn would dilute the system even more, and a state title would mean even less.  for instance, right now class A has 16 teams, half of those make it to the state tourney.  if you make it to state, BIG DEAL!!!  it doesn't mean anything, which causes fans not to care.  I remember when the small schools make it to state and win in class B.  the article makes a few good points at the end, so like the author said, it is worth the wait, it means more. 

I think mayville is what, 2500 people, add in the PCG and you get another 1000 maybe. that's hardly huge. I do think the private schools sitting in the Fargo's or bismarck's  of ND have an advantage, but it should just create all the more desire for the smaller towns to want to "kick the crap out of them,"
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsubisonfan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:49 am

what day was this put in the paper?
Last edited by ndsubisonfan on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndsubisonfan

Postby rep » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:52 am

ndsubisonfan wrote:
sportsperson wrote:How is this a bogus article? It seems fine to me.

where did anyone say it was a bogus article?

on the sub-subject line under the main subject 'Minot Daily News Article'
rep

Postby ndsubisonfan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:52 am

rep wrote:
ndsubisonfan wrote:
sportsperson wrote:How is this a bogus article? It seems fine to me.

where did anyone say it was a bogus article?

on the sub-subject line under the main subject 'Minot Daily News Article'

thanks.. found it right after i posted
Last edited by ndsubisonfan on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndsubisonfan

Postby SportsAreLife » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:25 pm

To say that Nathaniel Packineau's 4 point play was bigger than Landon Smith' shot to win state at the buzzer is plain ridicuolous. Pack's shot was huge but you can't compare it to a shot like that.
SportsAreLife

Postby Swine-O » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:31 pm

SportsAreLife wrote:To say that Nathaniel Packineau's 4 point play was bigger than Landon Smith' shot to win state at the buzzer is plain ridicuolous. Pack's shot was huge but you can't compare it to a shot like that.

I agree 100%  It was a big shot but Smith's shot was waaaaaay better!!!!
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mauer07 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:32 pm

SportsAreLife wrote:To say that Nathaniel Packineau's 4 point play was bigger than Landon Smith' shot to win state at the buzzer is plain ridicuolous. Pack's shot was huge but you can't compare it to a shot like that.

yes i agree with Sports, there was so much on the line and all the hard work he did really showed up right there by makin the basket
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:22 pm

I don't think its ridiculous. It might be questionable and I'd give Smith's shot the nod, probably because of time running out, but I wouldn't call the comparison ridiculous.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SportsAreLife » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:30 pm

Wildcat wrote:

I don't think its ridiculous. It might be questionable and I'd give Smith's shot the nod, probably because of time running out, but I wouldn't call the comparison ridiculous.

I'm just saying how do you compare a 4 pt play with a buzzer beater to win state, I just don't think you can even call those close.
SportsAreLife

Postby grizz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:47 pm

Pack's 4 pt play was actually a very big shot, and in my mind put the game away. BUT.... there was a ton of time left on the clock. Nothing will ever beat a buzzer beater.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby SportsAreLife » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:50 pm

grizz wrote:Pack's 4 pt play was actually a very big shot, and in my mind put the game away. BUT.... there was a ton of time left on the clock. Nothing will ever beat a buzzer beater.

I agree with everything you wrote.
SportsAreLife

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:54 pm

SportsAreLife wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

I'm just saying how do you compare a 4 pt play with a buzzer beater to win state, I just don't think you can even call those close.

I think you can compare them because of the overtones of Parshall beating Trinity. The shot itself is still comparable, but in a close game like that, a four-point play is huge. Lead went from three, to seven.

I still think Smith's shot was bigger, but I don't think the comparison is completely off the wall.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grizz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:57 pm

Yeah I see where you're coming from. There are huge plays in every game and that was for sure the biggest one in that game.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby Y-not Daily » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:20 pm

He didn't say it was a bigger or more important shot, he said it seemed much more exciting. For the purposes of a column about a small-town team bucking the odds and winning a state title, it probably could have been.

Both plays more or less won the game for their teams. Obviously, Smith's shot made it impossible for MPCG to win the game, Packineau's pretty much put the dagger in the heart of Dickinson Trinity's chances of winning as well.

Also, I'd like to add that for my money the MPCG-Trinity final two years ago was one of the most boring finals I'd ever seen until Smith hit the game winner. I mean 34-32, it just made me yawn....
Last edited by Y-not Daily on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y-not Daily

Postby Edward III » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:32 pm

If size matters- then Minot high should be unstopable in Class A and Minot Ryan should be the greatest Class B team in the world. The article written by the Minot sports writer should have looked in his own back yard before writing without thinking. If all the things that everyone says really goes on in the "big" cities, then Minot should be Title Town every year.
Edward III
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:12 pm

Y-not Daily wrote:He didn't say it was a bigger or more important shot, he said it seemed much more exciting. For the purposes of a column about a small-town team bucking the odds and winning a state title, it probably could have been.

Both plays more or less won the game for their teams. Obviously, Smith's shot made it impossible for MPCG to win the game, Packineau's pretty much put the dagger in the heart of Dickinson Trinity's chances of winning as well.

Also, I'd like to add that for my money the MPCG-Trinity final two years ago was one of the most boring finals I'd ever seen until Smith hit the game winner. I mean 34-32, it just made me yawn....

Amen!
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Edward III wrote:If size matters- then Minot high should be unstopable in Class A and Minot Ryan should be the greatest Class B team in the world. The article written by the Minot sports writer should have looked in his own back yard before writing without thinking. If all the things that everyone says really goes on in the "big" cities, then Minot should be Title Town every year.

They have one of the smaller enrollments of the big schools. They're not even at 200 kids. Grafton, Botno, Hazen, Beulah, Lisbon, Rugby...these are all schools with enrollments much larger than Bishop Ryan.

By the way..before writing without thinking? I think you're totally missing the point of the article...In fact, I think you're not even close.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:31 am

I think this is a pretty good article.  You can't argue against the numbers he used to back up his statements.  I'd give him 4 pts on Around the Horn for the excellent stats!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Edward III » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:43 am

I am not knocking Ryan or their enrollment. The point is to the people that complain that size is the only factor in winning- build a program and the wins come. I think the article was poorly research as NHSAA and the DPI are totally separate state offices. He totally excuses any good coaching or program builing. Rookie writer opened his mouth.
Edward III
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys