Minot Daily News Article

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby thesports_guy32 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:52 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I think this is a pretty good article.  You can't argue against the numbers he used to back up his statements.  I'd give him 4 pts on Around the Horn for the excellent stats!

and i'll give you some sports IQ for mentioning Around the Horn
thesports_guy32

Postby Maniaconthefloor » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:07 am

The size of these schools in the larger towns i.e. Bismarck, Fargo, Dickinson, Williston, and Minot is really irrelevant.  The fact that a competitive advantage exists is undeniable unless one allows their emotional attachment to overrule their common sense.  The fact is that they have a vastly larger talent pool of athletes to draw upon is as apparent as it can get.  It doesn't matter that their enrollment is comparable because they have a choice that smaller towns don't have when it comes to getting athletes there.  The recruitment is not from other towns as much as it is from the larger high school and the junior highs.  Very good athletes that may or may not get the chance to be the star at the A school may in alot of cases choose the guaranteed route at the B school.  The only solution to the problem would be to somehow designate schools to a division based on the town/city population.  This is not a task that I would volunteer for though.
Maniaconthefloor
NDPreps Starter

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:23 am

Maniaconthefloor wrote:The size of these schools in the larger towns i.e. Bismarck, Fargo, Dickinson, Williston, and Minot is really irrelevant.  The fact that a competitive advantage exists is undeniable unless one allows their emotional attachment to overrule their common sense.  The fact is that they have a vastly larger talent pool of athletes to draw upon is as apparent as it can get.  It doesn't matter that their enrollment is comparable because they have a choice that smaller towns don't have when it comes to getting athletes there.  The recruitment is not from other towns as much as it is from the larger high school and the junior highs.  Very good athletes that may or may not get the chance to be the star at the A school may in alot of cases choose the guaranteed route at the B school.  The only solution to the problem would be to somehow designate schools to a division based on the town/city population.  This is not a task that I would volunteer for though.

I count 8 private schools in the state.  Why not let them play their regular schedules in the regular season and have an 8 team tourney amongst themselves for the postseason.  Remember, these are parochial schools and from what I've gathered from reading posts on here from individuals from these schools is that religion and education are most important so why would they get riled up about having to play a different post season then the rest of the schools?  By the way, excellent maniac.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:42 am

[user=227]nativegolfer[/user] wrote:
Maniaconthefloor wrote:The size of these schools in the larger towns i.e. Bismarck, Fargo, Dickinson, Williston, and Minot is really irrelevant.  The fact that a competitive advantage exists is undeniable unless one allows their emotional attachment to overrule their common sense.  The fact is that they have a vastly larger talent pool of athletes to draw upon is as apparent as it can get.  It doesn't matter that their enrollment is comparable because they have a choice that smaller towns don't have when it comes to getting athletes there.  The recruitment is not from other towns as much as it is from the larger high school and the junior highs.  Very good athletes that may or may not get the chance to be the star at the A school may in alot of cases choose the guaranteed route at the B school.  The only solution to the problem would be to somehow designate schools to a division based on the town/city population.  This is not a task that I would volunteer for though.

I count 8 private schools in the state.  Why not let them play their regular schedules in the regular season and have an 8 team tourney amongst themselves for the postseason.  Remember, these are parochial schools and from what I've gathered from reading posts on here from individuals from these schools is that religion and education are most important so why would they get riled up about having to play a different post season then the rest of the schools?  By the way, excellent maniac.

I REALLY like this idea - good posts - kudos to both of you.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:45 am

why would st. mary's and shanley want to play in the tourney when they are already competing in class a.  Maybe not so much the last couple for SM in bball, but usually they compete.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wildcat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:23 am

Edward III wrote:I am not knocking Ryan or their enrollment. The point is to the people that complain that size is the only factor in winning- build a program and the wins come. I think the article was poorly research as NHSAA and the DPI are totally separate state offices. He totally excuses any good coaching or program builing. Rookie writer opened his mouth.

What are you talking about? Give us an example of what you don't like in the article? What part offends you? DPI is probably a better source than the NDHSAA, which can be unorganized at times.
Where does he excuse good coaching? I think that whole rookie writer opened his mouth thing is uncalled for. I don't think he's a rookie writer. He's been there a little while.

And I also don't think you know what you're talking about. I think you're just trying to drum something up. You just complain and never cite anything specific. Pretty generic if you ask me.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:27 am

nativegolfer wrote:

Why don't we have Standing Rock, New Town, Four Winds and the rest of the schools on the reservations play in their own tournament?

At least private schools draw kids from their own town and not transfers from other parts of the state.

As I've said, there isn't a private school with an enrollment above 200 in Class B? I'm pretty sure on that. Take a look and see how many schools have enrollments above 200. There are a lot of them, and none of them are private schools.
Last edited by Wildcat on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Maniaconthefloor » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:39 am

Why don't we have Standing Rock, New Town, Four Winds and the rest of the schools on the reservations play in their own tournament?

At least private schools draw kids from their own town and not transfers from other parts of the state.

As I've said, there isn't a private school with an enrollment above 200 in Class B? I'm pretty sure on that. Take a look and see how many schools have enrollments above 200. There are a lot of them, and none of them are private schools.

Last edited on Fri Mar 30th, 2007 02:28 pm by [user=1091]Wildcat[/user]

Now where to start with this.  First, look at the population of these schools.  If you look at my post above, I already disregarded the recruiting aspect and tried to make points (as simple as possible mind you) about why they have a competitive advantage.  Facetious comments like the one above just prove ignorance.  A competitive advantage exists because of the drawing pool for athletes and not because of the enrollment of the school itself.  These schools limit the amount of students that are allowed to attend(look it up, because I know you will argue and I have an uncle who is a former superintendent at a parochial school) because of classroom size and facility hinderances. 

I believe it was Kipling that said this; 

Simple minds make simple comments.  The complex tends to distort the simplicity of reality therefore it confuses and is ultimately disregarded by the cognitively weak.
Maniaconthefloor
NDPreps Starter

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:47 pm

Wildcat wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:

Idiot, there's a reason that isn't done and its called racism/segregation.  Thanks for showing your true colors to everyone on this site.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby grizz » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:53 pm

I'm guessing this topic gets locked just because of that comment from Wildcat
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:29 pm

yup...locked

have a nice day.
rep

Previous