Please retire cotton-eye joe

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby vballfan06 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:51 am

This is just random but...between the three state basketball tournaments I have decided cotton-eye joe needs to be retired forever.  This song is 15 years old, and playing before, after, halftime...it seemed like all the time, was plenty enough!
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby jimmie44 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:01 am

Amen, along with  "Who Let the Dogs Out?"....get with the times, people.  :cool1:
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:08 am

vballfan06 wrote:This is just random but...between the three state basketball tournaments I have decided cotton-eye joe needs to be retired forever.  This song is 15 years old, and playing before, after, halftime...it seemed like all the time, was plenty enough!

I don't know about you guys but after all the tourney's are done I never want to see another dance group for the rest of the year!  In Devils Lake they have the same dance group for every half time of every game, districts and regionals.  Then most of the groups at state are dance groups.  Make it stop!!  Can't we find other forms of entertainment?  I'd like to see a little culture mixed in a see a Native dance group once in a while.  The drum group from DT that performed at the halftime of FW's consolation game was pretty good.  
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby NBE2007 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:16 pm

During the Region 2 tournament, a drumline came and played during halftime for the 3rd place game or Championship can't remember which one..but they were good.
NBE2007

Postby fruit snack » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:42 pm

the carrington dance girls were the best
fruit snack

Postby rumbles » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:25 pm

fruit snack wrote:the carrington dance girls were the best
sadly they were also our best sports team
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fruit snack » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:23 am

vballfan06 wrote:This is just random but...between the three state basketball tournaments I have decided cotton-eye joe needs to be retired forever.  This song is 15 years old, and playing before, after, halftime...it seemed like all the time, was plenty enough!

dont retire it.....its a classic
fruit snack

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:38 am

fruit snack wrote:

i agree, whats the state tournament without hearing Cotton Eyed Joe once a twice a game.  if anything find a few more songs for the tipoff instead of welcome to the jungle
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:30 am

baseball wrote:
fruit snack wrote:

i agree, whats the state tournament without hearing Cotton Eyed Joe once a twice a game.  if anything find a few more songs for the tipoff instead of welcome to the jungle
I'll tell you exactly what the state tournament is without hearing Cotton Eye Joe once or twice a game is... A good start!  Welcome to the Jungle is one of my favorite songs of all time so I didn't mind hearing it before the games, it gets the players jacked up for the game thats for sure!
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:45 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
baseball wrote:
fruit snack wrote:

I'll tell you exactly what the state tournament is without hearing Cotton Eye Joe once or twice a game is... A good start!  Welcome to the Jungle is one of my favorite songs of all time so I didn't mind hearing it before the games, it gets the players jacked up for the game thats for sure!

ive played in tournaments where they only play 2-3 songs before the games and Welcome to theJungle was one of them,  mustve been the 3rd-4th game of the whole tournament and people on the field were already sayin that the song didnt get that pumped up and they should jsut stop playing it.  so to say it pumps the players up isnt always true
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby brownbomber » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:41 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
baseball wrote:
fruit snack wrote:

it doesnt when you hear it everytime, once in awhile it will gte you pumped up
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby grizz » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:33 pm

I gotta agree on that one. It goes for all those songs tho. Thunderstruck, Welcome to the jungle, Cotton-Eyed joe, I like to move it...... they just get too old. Only thing is is that there are no new songs that would fill their spot because they are just so classic and everyone knows them.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby silentbob » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:34 pm

nativegolfer wrote:

I don't know about you guys but after all the tourney's are done I never want to see another dance group for the rest of the year!  In Devils Lake they have the same dance group for every half time of every game, districts and regionals.  Then most of the groups at state are dance groups.  Make it stop!!  Can't we find other forms of entertainment?  I'd like to see a little culture mixed in a see a Native dance group once in a while.  The drum group from DT that performed at the halftime of FW's consolation game was pretty good.  

The drum group was good. I heard they got asked to play at championship next year and are supposed to be way better, they had no seniors on there.
silentbob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:31 pm

I always loved it when the coach was going over details in the locker room and you could hear the crowd, out on the court, doing a cheer over and over again until you hit the floor.  Especially during districts, when the place was jam packed.  
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:38 pm

Whatever, Welcome to the Jungle never gets old in my opinion.  It would be nice to have more variety i'll agree there but all the North Border players said that they loved hearing Welcome to the Jungle before the game.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:39 am

Cotton-Eye Joe is such a horrible song to begin with!  It makes me want to scrape my ears out with a butterknife.  I hate that song, I do recall DL back in 94-95 listening to "Fishing in The Dark" for warm ups!  So it could be worse!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:48 am

Indians Alumni wrote:Cotton-Eye Joe is such a horrible song to begin with!  It makes me want to scrape my ears out with a butterknife.  I hate that song, I do recall DL back in 94-95 listening to "Fishing in The Dark" for warm ups!  So it could be worse!

The all-time, absolute, eye gauging with a pencil, chinese water torture worse is when the knucklehead at the DL sportscenter plays "The lion sleeps tonight"!!  I dare someone to top that, I dare ya. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 am

nativegolfer wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:Cotton-Eye Joe is such a horrible song to begin with!  It makes me want to scrape my ears out with a butterknife.  I hate that song, I do recall DL back in 94-95 listening to "Fishing in The Dark" for warm ups!  So it could be worse!

The all-time, absolute, eye gauging with a pencil, chinese water torture worse is when the knucklehead at the DL sportscenter plays "The lion sleeps tonight"!!  I dare someone to top that, I dare ya. 

Well, I agree with letting the high school pep band play but some of the bands out there struggle!  I know they are the kids, but this is about warm-up music.  Doesn't really serve a purpose to have horrible music to warm up to!  I know you are supposed to be in the game by that time, but come on, a good tune always pumps you up to the next level. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 am

nativegolfer wrote:

Well, I agree with letting the high school pep band play but some of the bands out there struggle!  I know they are the kids, but this is about warm-up music.  Doesn't really serve a purpose to have horrible music to warm up to!  I know you are supposed to be in the game by that time, but come on, a good tune always pumps you up to the next level. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Aaronih » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:00 am

Wat about the song they played at halftime of the region champ between FW & WC that was a kick a... rock song got the crowd jacked up any of u fellas remember??
be a leader not a follower..
Aaronih
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys